The Walking Dead: The Game (Spoilers)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

The Walking Dead: The Game (Spoilers)

Post by Flagg »

Anyone else playing this and looking forward to episode 5?

I figured since it comes out tomorrow and the entire series of episodes releases on the 4th we can all share in the misery of the best story in a game I've played since FF7.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: The Walking Dead: The Game (Spoilers)

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Various reactions to episode 5 I've seen today:
This game is emotional terrorism and I cannot in good conscience recommend it to someone I wan to be happy.
Welp, here I am, a grown man crying over a videogame story. Well played, Telltale.
I spent the rest of the day feeling listless and sick to my stomach. Easily the best story I've seen in a videogame in years.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

What the fuck am I reading.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Ford Prefect wrote:What the fuck am I reading.
Losonti Tokash wrote:Various reactions to episode 5 I've seen today:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I don't think you quite parsed the incredulity expressed in respect of those reactions.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

So I was thinking about buying this for my parents who love the tv show, but "I cannot in good conscience recommend it to someone I wan to be happy" makes me reconsider. Can someone please explain the story through episode 5?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Dominus Atheos wrote:So I was thinking about buying this for my parents who love the tv show, but "I cannot in good conscience recommend it to someone I wan to be happy" makes me reconsider. Can someone please explain the story through episode 5?
It's not based on the TV Show so they may dislike it. It's set in the comics universe with almost all new characters (except in episode 1). Up to episode 5 (I haven't played it yet, waiting until after thanksgiving :lol:) you play as Lee, a convicted murderer who is being transported from Atlanta to prison when the zombocalypse breaks out. You meet up with a little girl whose parents are in Savannah and travel to Macon with her where you meet up with other survivors (including Glenn from the TV show/comics) holed up in a Pharmacy. From there you go to Hershel Greenes farm, and not long after are kicked out. Then you hole up in an abondoned motor inn.

In episode 2 you are still at the motor inn when you find another farm, with seemingly friendly people. They are cannibals. You escape the farm and go back to the inn.

In episode 3 you are being attacked by bandits and are forced to leave the inn in a motor home one of the other survivors has fixed up and head towards Savannah in search of a boat and Clementines parents. Things don't go well and you end up finding a train and get it operational and after encountering and removing some obstacles and meeting up with some other survivors you get to Savannah.

In episode 4 you find out there are no boats in Savannah (until you find a small one in a garage, but it's not big enough for everyone. After breaking into a stronger camp to get supplies for the boat you find that there are no survivors there, it's been overrun. You make it out alive, mostly, and Lee is at one point bitten after Clementine disappears. You find a walkie talkie and Clementine talks to you, she's been kidnapped by someone (we don't know who) and they get on the radio and just as you're about to get some answers as to who the fuck they are, episode 4 ends.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Dude I'm not sure a list of spoilers about a text adventure really answers his question. :V Just explain how its a series of no-right-answer questions combined with effective writing (and that everyone Los quoted is hyperbolic or an idiot).
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Well what gets to me is that 1) your actions have major consequences, even when you don't think they will. I mean in episode 2 you have to decide who gets to eat. 2) You give a fuck about the people around you, whether because you love them or loath them. 3) More gameplay related, but you are able to make dialogue choices like in ME and many other games, but you have a timer, and if you don't answer you literally just say nothing, and that can get you in trouble. It also forces you to do what you would actually do, since you have to make the decisions relatively fast.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, but the success of the game is that because its written by not game morons, its driven by pre-exisiting characters (ie your guy isn't your own self-insert fantasy, he's a character) and so the story isn't an endless cavalcade of WOW YOUR DICK IS HUGE and ONLY YOU CAN SAVE ME FROM NUCLEAR MISSILE BOMBS.

I think this is what nerds mean when they say 'it made me cry'. Because it had an actual, for real story, and not a videogame blowjob.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Basically, yeah. Like I said, it's the best story in a game I've played since FF7 and for me that's high praise even though I know I have rose tinted glasses when it comes to that game.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Ford Prefect wrote:What the fuck am I reading.
The echoes of man-children everywhere.
Best care anywhere.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I love how this board has spoiler tags, yet they are hardly ever used.

"Oh DPDP," you might say, "That's why the thread title has 'SPOILERS' in it!"

"That may very well be," I reply. "But then what about those who want to discuss the episodes they have played, without the worry of getting future episodes spoiled?"
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:I love how this board has spoiler tags, yet they are hardly ever used.

"That may very well be," I reply. "But then what about those who want to discuss the episodes they have played, without the worry of getting future episodes spoiled?"
Then create your own thread and title it as such?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Block wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:I love how this board has spoiler tags, yet they are hardly ever used.

That would be subsequently ignored by everyone, because they don't want to post the same thing in two threads? No, come to think of it, I should probably PM the mods of this board about the problem, since it's obvious the regular posters here don't care about anyone but themselves.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Block wrote:

That would be subsequently ignored by everyone, because they don't want to post the same thing in two threads? No, come to think of it, I should probably PM the mods of this board about the problem, since it's obvious the regular posters here don't care about anyone but themselves.
I was going to ignore your fucktarded first post, but since you're going to be a 2 time cunt I'll respond to this one:

1) It fucking says "spoilers" in the title. That could include spoiling episode 5 as well (which I've yet to play) but if I saw them and read them, I wouldn't complain because I had fair fucking warning.

2) Once something becomes apparent as a spoiler, does some magic fairy put a goddaned gun to your empty fucking head and force you to read the entire motherfucking paragraph?

3) Fuck off you mewling little twat.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Holy shit, what an amazing ending. I'm gonna go blow my brains out now. Not really.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Flagg wrote: I was going to ignore your fucktarded first post, but since you're going to be a 2 time cunt I'll respond to this one:

1) It fucking says "spoilers" in the title. That could include spoiling episode 5 as well (which I've yet to play) but if I saw them and read them, I wouldn't complain because I had fair fucking warning.

2) Once something becomes apparent as a spoiler, does some magic fairy put a goddaned gun to your empty fucking head and force you to read the entire motherfucking paragraph?

3) Fuck off you mewling little twat.
Exhibit A.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think this falls under 'mockery of stupid people'. A thread about a game with a new chapter recently released and 'spoilers' in the title? GOSH PEOPLE SO SELFISH ROUND HERE.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I was talking about the entire Gaming forum in general, not just this specific thread.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Gawd quit whining. That's why this forum is dead.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Grow a fucking spine DPDarkPrimus.

Personally I hate spoiler hidden posts in threads that are already talking about spoilers. Its a waste of time and effort over something everyone already knows has spoilers.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Anyway, having played episode 5, and since it's been out for awhile, I'm going to finish my synopsis.

Lee and whoever chose to go with him are on the hunt for Clementine. They are holed up in a morgue recently abandoned by another group of survivors. During the conversation via walkie talkie with Clems kidnapper we witness a herd of zombies that have followed to train car right to Savannah and the dead are everywhere. Lee's bite is growing more problematic and he passes out. Only to wake up to Kenny about to cut off the arm of his bitten hand. I chose to have them remove the arm. (It makes no difference in the end). You escape the morgue and make your way back to the mansion you were holed up in in episode 4 only to find... The boat is gone. I left Ben to guard it, he let us down and we find out the morgue survivors have taken it.

Then the zombie horde comes in and you hole up in the attic of the house. You then break into the adjacent home through a connecting wall to find a couple who have committed suicide. Then you are back off to find Clementine who is being held at a hotel on the other side of town. As you make your way there over the rooftops Ben falls and is imapled on a fire escape balcony that fell as he tried to leap across from one building to the other. Kenny goes to help him along with Lee, only there is no use. Kenny uses his last bullet to kill Ben before the dead get to him and you last see him fighting them off. He may have lived, but it's doubtful. Lee along with the last 2 survivors head to the hotel, and as he is crossing a signpost from one building to another it falls, leaving him seperated from Christa and Omid, who Lee tells to go back to the train.

Lee goes to street level and carves his way through the zombie horde, getting covered in blood and guts. He makes his way into the hotel and finds the kidnapper who took Clementine from you due to actions you took during the course of the prior episodes. Lee is held at gunpoint until Clementine sneaks out of the closet she is being held in and busts the fucker upside the head. I had Lee kill him. Then you open a closet to find a zombie on the other end but it doesn't attack you. You're covered in the smell of rotting flesh and they won't attack you, so you cover Clementine in gore and head to the street. Just as Clementine see's her dead zombie parents you pass out. Then you wake in a jewelry store, Clementine has dragged you to safety. You instruct her on how to escape and I told her to find Omid and Christa. Then I had Clementine shoot Lee in the head as cutting off the arm didn't stop the infection in time. After the credits you see Clementine in the country. On a distant hilltop are 2 silouettes. They are walking along until they stop, turn, and head towards Clementine, who now has a horrified look on her face. Smash to black. The end. Of season 1.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

In mine Ken stayed behind because he hated Ben. So Christa was about to chop off Lee's arm. The cancer survivors beat up Ken and lock him in the shed.

And I wanted Clementine to remain as innocent as possible. I didn't have her kill Lee. Honestly not the best survival choice. Its a hard world and she needs to do the hard things. But damnit, I wasn't going to have her carry the hurt of killing Lee.

I really hope thats Omid and Christa in the distance.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Alyeska wrote:In mine Ken stayed behind because he hated Ben. So Christa was about to chop off Lee's arm. The cancer survivors beat up Ken and lock him in the shed.

And I wanted Clementine to remain as innocent as possible. I didn't have her kill Lee. Honestly not the best survival choice. Its a hard world and she needs to do the hard things. But damnit, I wasn't going to have her carry the hurt of killing Lee.

I really hope thats Omid and Christa in the distance.

Yeah, me too. I had her kill Lee in case he turned and she didn't get out of the store in time.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw