Hearthstone

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Hearthstone

Post by TheHammer »

If you have no idea what that is, its the new virtual card game from Blizzard based on Warcraft. Its currently in a rather large closed beta, and supposed to go open beta anytime now (supposedly). Anybody playing it?
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Hearthstone

Post by TheFeniX »

I could make another thread, but no one is using this one. I haven't messed with Hearthstone, but during my daily lunchbreaks of watching random Starcraft videos, Husky started up some promo tourny to cast. I wasn't too keen on it, but I decided to give it a watch.

The comparisons to Magic are obviously going to be made, but the game does seem to clear up a few of the issues and is fairly fast-paced. You get mana crystals as a mana pool and they seem to increase by 1 permanently each turn. This halves issues with your draw since mana is no longer an issue. Decks are pretty standard from a lot of old Magic archetypes. The ability to draw cards is an extremely powerful tool, like in Magic and seems to be utilized in a lot of cards across all classes.

All in all, it seems like a simplified magic game with emphasis on destruction/stall spells and creatures with the addition of "hero powers." It hasn't had years like Magic to spread into major rules insanity. It might be worth a look and there is something to be said about a virtual card game with balance changes not in the form of erratas.