Steam Box announced,

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Steam Box announced,

Post by Dartzap »

Bugger me sideways, no thread about this?

Worst kept secret in universe confirmed, quell surprise

Kotaku

Gabe Newell: Living Room PCs Will Compete With Next-Gen Consoles
Jason Schreier
Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.
Speaking to me during a brief interview on the red carpet at the VGAs last night, Newell said Valve's current goal was to figure out how to make PCs work better in the living room. He said the reaction to Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture interface has been "stronger than expected," and that their next step is to get Steam Linux out of beta and to get Big Picture on that operating system, which would give Valve more flexibility when developing their own hardware.

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

"The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

I also asked Newell what sort of software they're working on these days. He wouldn't give specifics, but he did reiterate that they're working on their next-generation engine—which he said will work with next-generation consoles as well.

"Hopefully that's gonna give us some interesting opportunities on the game side," he said.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: Steam Box announced,

Post by Ace Pace »

Picking up clues here and there, we can assume this is going to be a Debian based, x86 box.
This is actually fairly interesting, because this isn't going to be some proprietary hardware, but just a very well set up PC.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Gabe's going to need to introduce a few key features into Steam or make use of open-source software to match the featureset of consoles. One glaring necessity is video streaming support for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I believe Amazon works on Linux as is, but Netflix uses Sliverlight with DRM which, alas, does not work on Linux currently.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

It'll be one thing if it's based on simply concluding the logical evolution of consoles into full-on media centers. It'll be another thing if it's a just a PC gamer insecurity thing, spawning a device which is basically a computer and just trying to hook it up to TVs. Contesting consoles on their own ground is insane, but i'm not counting on him or anyone at Valve to grasp that. Their unique success amongst the computer gaming industry has probably skewed their perspective.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's definitely a space for a shovelware console... but will the sort of weak-willed impulse-buying fatties that made Valve a distribution giant buy a console, no matter how much they avoid the evil word?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Honestly, if I could play a game like EVE with a controller and not on my fucking laptop? I would probably be interested.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

True, but instead of dropping my laptop off my lap onto the floor, it would just be my controller. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Stark wrote:There's definitely a space for a shovelware console... but will the sort of weak-willed impulse-buying fatties that made Valve a distribution giant buy a console, no matter how much they avoid the evil word?
The people who like the idea of a Steam box are older gamers, and console gamers who think of PCs as scary things for nerds but want in traditionally PC-centric gaming. A quiet black box in their living room that doesn't constantly pop up warning messages at them and do just too many different things that they don't understand when they just want to play their damned games, is emotionally comfortable. If Valve plays up the similarities in their library to the 'consoles' (ie. We have Call of Duty too!), the differences in their library from the 'consoles' (We have MMOs they don't!) and emphasizes a smooth, safe consumer access, they'll win.

I honestly don't think that hardcore nerds are a demographic worth giving a shit about anyway; they just don't represent a big enough slice of the marketplace, and they're the worst sort of customer to boot - loud, offensive, extremely demanding and always ready to drop your product the second the Next Big Thing hits. I personally love watching nerd meltdown; they just don't realize they aren't a valuable demographic like they used to be. And they probably won't figure it out for a while - the only voices out there are the other loud people like them; they don't see that there is a silent, contented majority out there spending buckets of money on games that are 'good enough' for their time and interest committments.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.