PlanetSide 2 - Red vs Blue vs Purple

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

PlanetSide 2 - Red vs Blue vs Purple

Post by GuppyShark »

I was a big fan of BF2142 back in its heyday so I have kept half an eye on this title. When I heard they had an Australian server I gave it a go.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this game as much as I do. It's refreshingly grand in scale and there's always plenty of things to do. The gear/ability unlocks come frequently enough that I never feel like I'm "grinding certs" and besides, if playing the game is actually fun, you can't really call it a grind anyway.

I hope eventually to do some proper co-ordinated efforts, although I'm finding that one player who knows what he's doing can seriously disrupt an enemy 'blob'.

How many others have tried it and what were your thoughts?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: PlanetSide 2 - Red vs Blue vs Purple

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The rocket spam from the fighters just got insanely annoying and AA is beyond a joke as a counter.
Then you go into the serious technology failings as the draw distance goes from bad to outright horrific as population increases in an area. I have been in a tank only to have infantry magically appearing right next to me because the game cannot handle the large fights taking place. This is especially annoying when your driving along and suddenly get a weapons lock because your running over friendlies you cannot see or shooting at folks but cannot hit them because the draw distance makes them disappear - which makes them invulnerable because you cannot hit what you cannot see except with specific weapons. Go figure that one of those weapons ends up being the AOE spam like Rocket Pods.
The Server I was on was going down routinely every 2 hours resulting in rollbacks causing folks to just quit in frustration.

The population make up is irritating as well, the server I am on basicaly disolved into 60% TR vs 20% VS vs 5% NC on the individual maps. Eventually it ended up with a faction zerging a single map while the others did the same to the other two.
Result:
Indar 60% VS
Emisar 60% TR
Amisar 60% NC

The game looks pretty and I will give credit at the accomplishment to make a game like this but it has a fair share of frustrating issues that make it extremely unfriendly.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: PlanetSide 2 - Red vs Blue vs Purple

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm playing it off and on, for the most part pretty fun. It's got a few issues here and there, and I did notice the draw issue Predator mentions. Nothing is worse than popping around a corner to shoot dudes, only those dudes get an extra second's worth of time to shoot you first because they don't render on your end. With the very short time to kill an infantry target, that's a pretty gigantic problem. Thankfully, it was only an intermittent issue.

Unlocking feels pretty slow, but I don't mind too much. I got a couple odds and ends for a gun or two and upgraded my tank a little, but it's slow-going unless you're in the midst of a capping zerg where you get gazillions of points from helping cap a zone. Defence seems very poorly incentivized, especially since defence often seems doomed to inevitable failure in the face of the zerging mentality vis-a-vis the different continents. Losing fights on your current continent? Go to another one where your faction is zerging through all resistance. Three factions + three continents, and guess what happens...
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh