Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-09-26 10:28am
Sith Marauder

Enjoy.

People debate against me, to help me.

Still having a huge problem with reflex posting. Got to think twice before posting a reply and creating a thread :banghead:

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-09-26 12:14pm
Emperor's Hand

Is that really gameplay? Or vids? I sorta distrust videos now ever since Hellgate London.

Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-09-26 01:25pm
Sith Marauder

PainRack wrote:
Is that really gameplay? Or vids? I sorta distrust videos now ever since Hellgate London.

The graphics level is quite similar to Shogun 2, so I would believe it is gameplay footage.

Still having a huge problem with reflex posting. Got to think twice before posting a reply and creating a thread :banghead:

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-09-26 03:25pm
Sith Acolyte

The Hastati are certainly looking a bit more historical this time, which is nice.

Certainly looks like a blend of CGI with an battles using an Shogun 2 engine, anyway.

EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-09-26 04:08pm
Emperor's Hand

If it doesn't show the UI and someone clicking this and that, it doesn't count as a 'gameplay' trailer.

ASS Marine | 40K Nut | Metalhead | BattleTecher | Maximal
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"IS names suck, Clan names forever. That there is a Timber Wolf." - Uraniun235. Ne'er have truer words been spoken.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-02 08:32pm
Jedi Knight

True that it's not real gameplay but this is pretty much on my auto buyin list.

Roma delenda est.

:)

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-02 08:50pm
Magister
Magister

Meh. still remain unconvinced of the game, especially after the last chokejobs they did.

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-02 09:40pm
Jedi Knight

@ Thanas because I can't be arsed to click the quote button:

Shogun 2 was pretty sick. And I for one liked Empire, buggy as it was.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-02 09:59pm
Sith Devotee

I love how Chirios is a prime example of the spineless, mindless fanboyism that enables guys like Creative Assembly to stay in business.

Best care anywhere.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-02 10:26pm
Jedi Master

Empire and Napoleon were pretty bad, but the only major problem I had with Shogun II was that every faction had the exact same units, so the complete lack of any variety in the battles made it get stale quick. That can't happen with Rome II, so I'd bet it'll be better than the last three games.

Of course, there's no way in hell it'll even come close to the major Rome I or Medieval II mods, aside from being more shiny.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-02 10:35pm
Sith Marauder

CA just provided the modders with modding tools for Shogun 2. So there is a possibility we can see mods for Rome 2, given it use the same engine.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-07 01:20pm
Jedi Council Member

By the way, how is battle AI in Shogun 2? I kinda stopped playing the series after RTW1 because the 'puter could be so easily defeated.

Curious about AI in Shogun 2 because if it's not totally bonkers, I might consider buying RTW2.

My wife's photography site

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-07 07:32pm
Jedi Master

Tolya wrote:
By the way, how is battle AI in Shogun 2? I kinda stopped playing the series after RTW1 because the 'puter could be so easily defeated.

Curious about AI in Shogun 2 because if it's not totally bonkers, I might consider buying RTW2.

The campaign map AI is pretty good, the battle AI isn't great but it's a big improvement over the Rome AI, and the diplomacy AI is kinda hit or miss. It's usually pretty good, but every now and then it does something mind-bogglingly stupid.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-08 05:18am
Padawan Learner

Quote:
Shogun II was that every faction had the exact same units, so the complete lack of any variety in the battles made it get stale quick.

But that's how the Sengoku period was. There wasn't a massive difference between clans, since it was a civil war. CA already put in fantasy units that had no real role to play in history ("katana samurai" being perhaps the most egregious).

Shogun 2 AI is the best of the series. It still makes the occasional stupid mistake, but I find it does a reasonable job of putting up a fight even on normal.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-08 05:25am
Jedi Master

DarkArk wrote:
Quote:
Shogun II was that every faction had the exact same units, so the complete lack of any variety in the battles made it get stale quick.

But that's how the Sengoku period was. There wasn't a massive difference between clans, since it was a civil war. CA already put in fantasy units that had no real role to play in history ("katana samurai" being perhaps the most egregious).

Yeah, and that's a good reason why they shouldn't have made a Total War game in that period, or the Empire/Napoleon periods. When every faction is identical the game gets pretty boring.

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-09 12:58am
Jedi Knight

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Tolya wrote:

The campaign map AI is pretty good, the battle AI isn't great but it's a big improvement over the Rome AI, and the diplomacy AI is kinda hit or miss. It's usually pretty good, but every now and then it does something mind-bogglingly stupid.

If there's one thing they need to work on it's the diplomacy AI. that shit was way annoying in Rome and Medieval, especially since it was very difficult to know where you stood with people. You would beat a nation into the dust only for them to refuse Protectorate status and choose death and enslavement and iirc, there was never any real way to tell why or when they'd change their mind.

As for this game, I'll look it up, if it works out the diplomacy issues then good but I think I'll buy it mainly for the mods. I'm sure that someone could do some great things with it, but I'd rather stick with EB Rome 1 or Stainless Steel on Med 2 than play the base game I think

Post subject: Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer PostPosted: 2012-10-19 10:30am
Jedi Council Member

Actual pre-alpha gameplay footage

Looks very impressive and the city battles look like they'll actually be fun. I always thought city battles were boring in previous games.

Ever wonder how a bat's brain works?
What happens if your senses are mute at an early age?