Kickstarter - Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Kickstarter - Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham

Post by tezunegari »

A spiritually-enriching, action-packed, FUN Judeo-Christian role-playing video game you can be proud to give to your loved ones!
Judeo-Christian Video Game - Moral & Fun - "Call of Abraham" by Phoenix Interactive Studios
We hold the Bible completely sacred, and we’ve gone to great lengths to maintain authenticity. For this reason, we formed an advisory team of four pastors and ministry leaders to make sure all of our storylines and characters are historically accurate (more on them below).

Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham is the first Christian video game of its kind: the top-notch graphics are visually-stimulating and the action-packed storylines will keep players engaged. Genesis is full of familiar stories, but they’ve never been told from this perspective. We start out just before Abraham leaves Haran, and because the main character is someone joining Abraham’s caravan, you’re right in the thick of the action.
A bible based computer game... that tries to be historically accurate.

Even though I dislike games as preaching tools I'd like them to succeed with Kickstarter just to see how ridiculous the end product will be.
It might even end up being a decent game. :roll:
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Kickstarter - Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham

Post by Simon_Jester »

There's enough content in the story of Abraham (and other various ancient patriarchs) to make some very good RPGs.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Really that's probably the ideal way to do a Bible game.

--Start out a common mook

--Receive a 'call' from divine being

--Do what said divine being tells you to gain 'faith' or whatever

--Smite priests of false gods, lead your people to freedom, prophesy that x will happen and then when it does you level up

And so forth... That's the Old Testament release, of course. When they do the NT upgrade, you get to the Apostle stages, and then there's the Acts expansion-- you get the whole Roman Empire to play in as St. (Insert Player Name Here)!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I'll look foward to a let's play of this.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, will there be a sacrifice Isaac mini game?
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Given how violent the Israelite take over of Canaan was I foresee lots of "Go here and exterminate evil tribe X" quests
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I wonder if a game like this could backfire by showing people just how violent and bloodthirsty God and his followers really were...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

tezunegari wrote: Moral & Fun - Call of Abraham
Abraham... wasn't that the loon who wanted to sacrifice his children to the Blood God? Yes, very moral indeed.

Here's an idea for some sequel games: Having fun with genocide and How to stone your children.

It looks like such a bad idea/project I kind of wonder if the creators are POE's in disguise
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The Bible would make a great game and/or HBO series. It's full of blood, tits, and improbable badasses, moral compromise and nuance that's been downplayed for centuries (e.g. the aftermath of the Midianite genocide speaks volumes about Moses, both in what he orders done initially and in how he reacts. Notice that for the first time in the series of genocidal brutalities, the soldiers must purify themselves. It's never said, but to me it suggests (for a story, at least), recognition and horror at his own works.), and all kinds of unlockable powers.

Just because it makes for a poor basis to a society doesn't make it any less full of stuff that's genuinely interesting, intriguing, and compelling - especially handled right. Unfortunately, most Christian groups aren't the ones to handle it right at all, since they won't engage with the moral dimensions behind the crimes ordered by YHWH and how they clash with the idea of a benevolent deity and instead just say 'God can never do evil'.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, will there be a sacrifice Isaac mini game?
Haven't you played The Binding of Isaac yet? :D

Edit (adding some content to the post):

I don't mind the idea, after all, many RPG settings are pretty similar in tone and content to the Bible. You could probably take a game like Baldur's Gate and make it bible-compliant by changing sprites and dialogue options.

Of course, I foresee that the game will be criticized by the judeochristian crowd it seeks to appease if:
  • In game options allow deviation from a specific group's accepted behaviour
  • The Realism approach brings to notice elements that are usually glossed over or ignored
unsigned
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

wautd wrote:
tezunegari wrote: Moral & Fun - Call of Abraham
Abraham... wasn't that the loon who wanted to sacrifice his children to the Blood God? Yes, very moral indeed.

Here's an idea for some sequel games: Having fun with genocide and How to stone your children.

It looks like such a bad idea/project I kind of wonder if the creators are POE's in disguise
Wanted to? No. Was going to because he wasn't given the choice is more like it.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The fact that he did have a choice and still chose to obey the whim of god is rather the point of the story, no?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Vendetta wrote:The fact that he did have a choice and still chose to obey the whim of god is rather the point of the story, no?
Yup. The whole choice in fact, (and the reason he was spared sacrificing the kid. The story's point in terms of propaganda for the era, is how the Hebrew god didn't practice human sacrifice and how HIS followers were given a choice and free will, and were rewarded for it and obeying [Unlike some of the neighbouring religions] ) .

Also,
..Am I the only one who read the title as "The Call of Cthulhu" for a moment there?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So the game cancelled its Kickstarter nowhere near its goal, then relaunched on indiegogo.com with its goal cut in half and now has 825 dollars with 9 days left and people calling scam left and right.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/video ... of-abraham

I be amused.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Speaking of scams, how does kickstarter handle those anyway? I mean, what is stopping someone from registering with an idea that sounds good, collecting money and than just shutting it down and taking all the cash without ever providing a product? Is there any way such a person would be held legally liable?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Nothing much. Kickstarter actually says in its terms of service last I checked that it is not liable for hunting down people who run scams, but its term of service are a legally binding contract. Either everything promised must be delivered, or all money must be returned. The people seeking funding cannot return part of the money after delivering only part of the promised product unless you agree to compromise. You could enforce it by suing them personally for failure to deliver, and perhaps starting a class action suit with other backers. Though that's really only going to work if at least hundreds of thousands of dollars are involved to make it worth the while of a small law firm to get on board.

However Kickstarter has taken some action in one or two cases to help get peoples money back, and while they make no guarantees, they do put some level of effort into rejecting or deleting obvious scams. Scams haven't been a big problem so far that I've heard, though several major failures did see money returned, but with rapid ground the site is gaining some scamming in inevitable. In the end its buyer beware.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Seems like these guys have a whole new take on "development hell".

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/25/549639 ... with-satan
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who