World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by gigabytelord »

Okay I played a bunch of games last night and got utterly destroyed in almost all of them, for some reason the damn auto battle thing likes dropping me into battles with t8 and t9 tanks... I'M DRIVING A GODDAMNED T4!!

Even using my superior speed to get around behind them does no good as my rounds just frickin bounce off, even if I'm shooting the rear of the enemy tank, and scouting? fuck that as soon as I get anywhere near the enemy base I'm insta-popped before I can find a place to hide...

This game is starting piss me off...
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

gigabytelord wrote:Okay I played a bunch of games last night and got utterly destroyed in almost all of them, for some reason the damn auto battle thing likes dropping me into battles with t8 and t9 tanks... I'M DRIVING A GODDAMNED T4!!

Even using my superior speed to get around behind them does no good as my rounds just frickin bounce off, even if I'm shooting the rear of the enemy tank, and scouting? fuck that as soon as I get anywhere near the enemy base I'm insta-popped before I can find a place to hide...

This game is starting piss me off...
What tank were you in? Non-british tier 4 lights are considered scouts by the game and get higher matchmaking than normal tier 4s. A tier 4 medium, heavy, or td will see no higher than tier 6 tanks.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ahh...Tier 4. You'll find that to be the worst experience by far. What tank are you driving?

EDIT: And what Vortex said. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

The AMX40 is classified as a light, I think, and is tiered the same as tier-4 mediums, as well.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well even WG isn't crazy enough to put THAT thing in scout MM. :P
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

I've been using the PzKpfw 38 (t), and don't get me wrong I have been enjoying my self to an extent, and this tank in particular is actually working quite well, I've got the 4,7 cm PaK 38 (t) L/43 gun on it and it's actually very effective, the tank its self is very fast and when combined with the larger gun can wreak havoc on enemy scouts, in fact I find my self being used as the anti-scout, scout... or they send me off to try and knock out the enemy arty and then either laugh or simply not notice when I prove to be completely useless.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

gigabytelord wrote:I've been using the PzKpfw 38 (t), and don't get me wrong I have been enjoying my self to an extent, and this tank in particular is actually working quite well, I've got the 4,7 cm PaK 38 (t) L/43 gun on it and it's actually very effective, the tank its self is very fast and when combined with the larger gun can wreak havoc on enemy scouts, in fact I find my self being used as the anti-scout, scout... or they send me off to try and knock out the enemy arty and then either laugh or simply not notice when I prove to be completely useless.
You mean the 38Na? 38t is a tier 3 light, never sees anything above tier 5.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah...I don't think I've ever seen a 38 (t) in anything bigger than my T49 anymore.

And if it is the 38nA you're using...not only is it a T4...its one of the most painful grinds in the game PERIOD.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

The Vortex Empire wrote:You mean the 38Na? 38t is a tier 3 light, never sees anything above tier 5.
Ah, yep that's the one.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah...that tank is HORRID. I don't think I've ever heard a good word about it.

EDIT: To clarify...its not fast or agile enough to scout well, and even its top-gun isn't all that good in the battles it gets tossed into. About the only thing good about it is an absurd view-range/camo value. Aside from that...yeah...not good at all.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

The 38Na is fantastic in tier 4 or 5 matches. Unfortunately those make up a small fraction of its battles.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

The Vortex Empire wrote:The 38Na is fantastic in tier 4 or 5 matches. Unfortunately those make up a small fraction of its battles.
You see that's exactly the issue I'm having, it's great in equivalent tier matches, but out of the 10 or so matches I had with it last night, maybe two of them were t5 or lower matches, and you know what I did really damn good in those, but all of the other ones were as high as tier 8, hell one had a single tier 9 on both teams, and of course I got rapped, after a while I said fuck this and just logged out for the night.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

gigabytelord wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:The 38Na is fantastic in tier 4 or 5 matches. Unfortunately those make up a small fraction of its battles.
You see that's exactly the issue I'm having, it's great in equivalent tier matches, but out of the 10 or so matches I had with it last night, maybe two of them were t5 or lower matches, and you know what I did really damn good in those, but all of the other ones were as high as tier 8, hell one had a single tier 9 on both teams, and of course I got rapped, after a while I said fuck this and just logged out for the night.
Yeah, it's pretty much the worst grind I've ever done.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

That's why I went for the PzIII and III/IV myself. Pretty much the only difference between the III/IV and base IV now is that the latter has a derp gun...and I HATE derp-guns on principle. Plus the PzIII is much more fun than the 38nA
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:That's why I went for the PzIII and III/IV myself. Pretty much the only difference between the III/IV and base IV now is that the latter has a derp gun...and I HATE derp-guns on principle. Plus the PzIII is much more fun than the 38nA
From the chatter I keep seeing in various games I'm going to assume that "derp gun" refers to anything 100mm size or larger?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

At low-tiers yeah. But at higher tiers it generally means the largest caliber gun a tank can mount, and is pretty much a dedicated HE thrower (at least, that's how I've heard it)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Derp gun is first in reference to the KV2 and it's 152mm gun that threw massive HE shells. Back in the day there was no KV2 only the KV1 with option to get the KV2 turret and gun at Tier 5 which made it nasty in both low level and high level games.

These days it means any HE only option gun for tanks that's massively bigger than the standard caliber. So big HE gun that takes forever to reload, derp gun.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Let it never be said that being under-tiered as an impediment to GLORY.

The top XP-getters in my latest match, where Tier 8s were top tanks:

Zinegata (Tiger) - 1,287
subtle_death1 (IS-3) - 939
Danglao (Matilda) - 688

For the record, I did 3,400 damage and earned 110K credits on premium on this match.

The Matilda survived, inflicted 500 damage, and killed a Type 59.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

HOLY!! :shock:

That must have been an awesome sight.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I wish I could sell my t25 for gold and get a pziv-s... Anyway the t25 plays like a smallish panther. I don't think it was all that bad as a prem.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Dear god man, 110K Credits?!...

Hey if anyone is wondering my in game name is the as my name here on the forums, if anyone has a clan or something and doesn't mind having an occasional player I'd love to sign up, I'm in one now and having second thoughts about it...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:HOLY!! :shock:

That must have been an awesome sight.
The Matilda and I basically fought two Type 59s and won. They both took some damage overruning a couple of TDs, but I chased after them (never let it be said that the Tiger's low top speed is an impediment to its awesomeness!) did about 1,800 or so damage on the Types while the Matilda gamely and bravely went beside then behind one of the Types and chipped away 400 health.

I killed one of the Type 59s and could have also killed the other, but I felt it was kill-stealing since by the time I had a shot ready, the Type 59 was down to 50 HP and I knew the Matilda was only a second away from recharging his own weapon. The 59 was utterly helpless because I had rammed him head-on while the Matilda blocked his rear. Since he'd done such a good job fighting, I let the Matilda take the killing shot and laughed in glee as a Tier 4 killed a Tier 8, and in a pretty legitimate way too.

Giga->

Yeah, 3,000+ damage in total for the match. It happens when you do damage like crazy.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

gigabytelord wrote:Dear god man, 110K Credits?!...

Hey if anyone is wondering my in game name is the as my name here on the forums, if anyone has a clan or something and doesn't mind having an occasional player I'd love to sign up, I'm in one now and having second thoughts about it...
We don't have a clan, but we do have a chat set up. Just type 'SDN' into the chat search and it should come up (assuming one of us has updated it). Not always someone online, but it works well enough.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Pz 38nA is good against light tanks and at passive scouting if you have the sheer guts and patience to figure it out.

Active scouting isn't going to work, and honestly it got a giant nerf in 8.0 with skids and rougher terrain, running a T-50 in close is no longer for the faint of heart and is something that needs to be done in deadly earnest.

Anyway, passive scouting is figuring out a bush in an advanced position to hide in (AND NOT FIRE FROM) where you can spot enemies for tanks that can't see them on their own. If you're good it's just drive to a bush, go make tea and laugh after having siphoned off a bunch of xp from the match. It's tricky though, but you have a good view range and a tiny silhouette.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Victory!
Battle: Redshire Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:18:11 PM
Vehicle: M103
Experience received: 1,903
Credits received: 82,140
Battle Achievements: Confederate, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Farewell M103. I'm finally moving on to T110E5. But a 7100 damage game is a pretty good send-off. :)