World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by wautd »

I'm sitting on the fence on what to do after the T-46. I remember that the T-28 kicked a surprising amount of ass when I had one in beta. It's basically a huge light tank with a Fuck You gun on top. Then again, the T-50 looks (at least on paper) like a fun tank as well.

Oh yeah, I got me an AMX ELC. It's kind of fun, but I'm still finding out how to play well with it. It's paper armor makes it quite unforgiving
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My take on the ELC is it's basically the world's tiniest zippiest TD. You can't do a lot of the usual scout tricks like arty-hunting so easily because you don't have a turret, but the top tier gun can wreck pretty much any tank you're likely to see on the field if you hit from the flanks. And it's got rather friendly matchmaking- you will sometimes see Tier 3/4 enemies you can oneshot with the 90mm.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The T-50 is one of two real scouts in the game. It's also low enough tier it'll occasionally get matched with things it can ruin. It's definitely a good tank. The T-28 is solid. Not brilliant like the T-50 but solid and its grind doesn't mean you're locked into scouting for 50k xp or so.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The T-28 also leads to the Soviet heavy line, which is very popular and not without reason. I found it a very enjoyable tank, and I was sad when I had to sell it off for the garage space. The crew eventually got their hands on a T-34 as I recall.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Simon_Jester wrote:The crew eventually got their hands on a T-34 as I recall.
If you transfer crew to another tank, the text gets red. I assume they are nerfed in some way or another?
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Yeah, but then you can retrain them. Mouse over them to see the effect on their effective skill in that tank. They also get significantly less xp in a different non-premium tank and I believe none if it's a tank of a different type.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I heared the T-50 os more fun than the T-50-2. Is this true?
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

AniThyng wrote: Surely you could call him Charles...?

Anyway, as per Vortex's praise of the ISU, I am toying with the idea of opening a russian TD line, since I already run US meds, German Meds/Heavies and am on my way to a StuG. That way I can experience the so called russian bias for myself! :D

That being said, what are the major differences in the way Russian TD's play compared to German?
I was referring the the SU-152. I haven't purchased the ISU-152 yet, but it seems to be a bigger and better SU-152 in all respects. Plus, it mounts the 152mm BL-10, which I've been on the receiving end of many a time. Big gun. I've only played the german line up to the hetzer, but generally speaking, Russian tds put more emphasis on speed and alpha damage than German ones. The russian ones often have higher camo values due to lower profiles as well.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I found the T28 a lot of fun. Once you upgrade the gun, you can engage and beat anyone you are likely to meet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

German guns in general tend to be slightly smaller-caliber and lower-damage, but with good penetration and accuracy. Now that I think about it, I feel like that lack of emphasis on alpha damage is preserved throughout the German tree. There are very few German guns good for alpha strike damage, while there are many Russian ones that are.

Compare the top damage for the guns on the Tier 7 heavies; a 390-damage 122mm gun for the IS and KV-3, a 320-damage 105mm gun for the T29, a 240-damage 90mm gun for the AMX M4, and a 240-damage 88mm gun for the Tigers. Obviously, against Tier 7 enemies with 1000-1200 hit points, the Tiger isn't going to be nailing much of anything with the first shot.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
AniThyng wrote: Surely you could call him Charles...?

Anyway, as per Vortex's praise of the ISU, I am toying with the idea of opening a russian TD line, since I already run US meds, German Meds/Heavies and am on my way to a StuG. That way I can experience the so called russian bias for myself! :D

That being said, what are the major differences in the way Russian TD's play compared to German?
I was referring the the SU-152. I haven't purchased the ISU-152 yet, but it seems to be a bigger and better SU-152 in all respects. Plus, it mounts the 152mm BL-10, which I've been on the receiving end of many a time. Big gun. I've only played the german line up to the hetzer, but generally speaking, Russian tds put more emphasis on speed and alpha damage than German ones. The russian ones often have higher camo values due to lower profiles as well.
I got a Su-76 now. Its been so long since I ran T3 battles, it's amusing how much longer they take compared to the T7-T8 battles I'd been through the past month. Sadly while I've been able to rake in kills (almost always at least 1 a match with both the SU and the Stug) it seems a TD's ability to influence things drops if there's no tanks left to lead them, and once that happens and I'm forced to go into the open to do something, death swiftly follows. OTOH so long as friendly tanks stay on the field, I can keep distance, find a bush and just send shots down. It's different from sniping with the panther since it's pretty much impossible to hide a panther...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

So I just took on a Jagdpanther and an IS simultaneously in my T-43 and won. That thing is a fun little tank.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I faced an KV-4, T34, KV-5, and Panther on my own. In a T20. And survived while killing everything except the KV-4.

Granted, I was hiding behind the wreckage of several team mates, and the T34 and the KV-5 were both at 12% each, but hot damn it was fun making them waste all of their shots while I hid behind the wrecks :D.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Just rebought the M7 medium for the hell of it. With the tighter matchmaker it's such a blast. I've missed the little thing.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:Yeah, but then you can retrain them. Mouse over them to see the effect on their effective skill in that tank. They also get significantly less xp in a different non-premium tank and I believe none if it's a tank of a different type.
Crews take a 25% penalty for being in a different vehicle of the any type, and another 25% penalty for being in a vehicle of a different type.

So a BT-2 tank crew in a BT-7 will take a 25% penalty for being a different vehicle, but in a T-28 they would take a 50% penalty for being a different vehicle and a different type.

The penalty for being in a different vehicle is ignored if the vehicle is premium, so a BT-7 crew in a Lend Lease M3 Stuard would take no penalty, but a T-28 crew in the same premium Stuart would still take a 25% penalty for the different type.

You can retrain crews to their new vehicle and lose 20% of their major qualification or 10% if you pay 20,000 credits.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Vendetta wrote:
xthetenth wrote:Yeah, but then you can retrain them. Mouse over them to see the effect on their effective skill in that tank. They also get significantly less xp in a different non-premium tank and I believe none if it's a tank of a different type.
Crews take a 25% penalty for being in a different vehicle of the any type, and another 25% penalty for being in a vehicle of a different type.

So a BT-2 tank crew in a BT-7 will take a 25% penalty for being a different vehicle, but in a T-28 they would take a 50% penalty for being a different vehicle and a different type.

The penalty for being in a different vehicle is ignored if the vehicle is premium, so a BT-7 crew in a Lend Lease M3 Stuard would take no penalty, but a T-28 crew in the same premium Stuart would still take a 25% penalty for the different type.

You can retrain crews to their new vehicle and lose 20% of their major qualification or 10% if you pay 20,000 credits.
You can also avoid this entirely with gold, which is honestly one of the better uses for it next to garage and premium (tanks and accounts).
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Also, they still have a 50% off training sale every few months, so if you're patient you can do a normal tank crew for 2.50$ or so.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm not so sure about that, since in the grand scheme of crew training that last 10% of major qualification is easy to rebuild, and you keep all your experience towards perks and skills, which are where the real XP costs are.

I mean I know that many players are happy to have money squeezed from every pore given the utter nonsense that they get away with charging for, but given that you can rebuild that qualification relatively quickly, and the difference between 90% and 100% is pretty minor (the difference between 50% and 100% is only about 20% real performance), it seems silly to pay actual money for it.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I spend gold to respec crew secondaries which takes goddamn forever and is annoying as hell because I ususally do it after filling the second slot so I can transfer to BiA so I don't want to lose any, to huck gold at baddies in clan wars and when I've got a ton I haven't paid for and a tank I don't want to see anymore I spend on free xp. That's pretty much it, I bought a year of premium (with gold I actually paid for, which is strange and unusual) a while back and am still on that.

Most of the options for gold I just see as soaking people with more money than sense, but crew secondary swapping means I'm saving myself nearly 100 games and I have better things to do than grind crews.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's all about your price point.

For example, right now I have very little spare time, but considerably more money than I'm used to. That impacted my decision to avoid the VK3002 and go straight to the Panther, for instance; I spent about 2.50$ on converting free XP and 2.50$ on crew training (at gold conversion rates of about 1$ per 200 gold), because five dollars was worth it to me to avoid that grind and get straight to the tank I really wanted to play with.

Not that I have anything against the VK3002 as such, mind; it's just not the vehicle I'd wanted, and I can't use it to do anything cool like unlock new engines or guns for the next tank in line.

If it hadn't been for the cheap training sale over Labor Day, and the daily quintuples that put that amount of free XP in easy reach, I'd have taken the for-credits retrain of my VK3601 crew instead- 2.50$ is worth saving the time spent at sub-par performance to me, 5$ isn't.

And as to the benefits in crew performance- yes, it's marginal. But I've lost a LOT of matches by being beaten to the draw on a gun reload by a quarter second or so; shaving a marginal amount off my reload time is actually worth something to me.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I spend for crew secondary respecs because that's huge and a one time cost (when I get my second secondary completed), I don't for the everyday crew swaps because it's a much smaller thing and if I did that it'd add up to a ton of gold quick with all the trees I go up.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Y'know, I'm fairly sure there's an amount of murder that happened there.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Any advice on how to play the Chinese Type-62? Its a little slower than scout tanks with better armor and firepower I think but I get murdered by the constant tier 7-8-9's I face.

I only survived one round so far and thats only because I was playing with a friend in his AMX and we and 2 others formed a wolf pack tearing the enemy team a new arsehole by sneaking behind them. Killed an IS and a Jumbo.

Anyone else noticed/find it funny when playing that when you first spot the scouts your own teams scouts almost always seem to break off to chase them down? :)
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Not really. They're fast enough to catch, can hurt them better than a heavy, and if they're handling the enemy scouts your heavies can get on with things. Plus if you ignore them, things tend to go bad quick.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1570-80-pu ... st-server/

8.0 test server's up, and they're doing it a bit differently this time. Instead of 10x xp and credits, they're just giving you 100,000,000 xp and credits off the bat and a nice chunk of gold so you can buy whatever you want. So if there's any tanks you're interested in trying for curiosity's sake or you just want to try out physics and the shiny new renderer, it's worth looking at.