World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Vejut wrote:Not really. They're fast enough to catch, can hurt them better than a heavy, and if they're handling the enemy scouts your heavies can get on with things. Plus if you ignore them, things tend to go bad quick.

Speaking as an arty player, there is very little I hate more than watching a T-50 drive into my team's base completely unopposed, to sodomize me and the rest of the arty, while nobody even tries to help.

The scout is an abomination unto your God-Emperor. Suffer not the scout to live.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Nah, the more arties get killed the better, be they friendly or enemy. Ideally I want both teams artillery to get wiped out so I can have a nice match without the angry fist of god smiting me for daring to poke my head out from behind a rock.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Cool. Sadly it's taking ages to download.

I wish you had the option to choose Teams by country (eg French vs Soviet tank matches). I wonder which country has the best ingame tanks overall
xthetenth wrote:http://worldoftanks.com/news/1570-80-pu ... st-server/

8.0 test server's up, and they're doing it a bit differently this time. Instead of 10x xp and credits, they're just giving you 100,000,000 xp and credits off the bat and a nice chunk of gold so you can buy whatever you want. So if there's any tanks you're interested in trying for curiosity's sake or you just want to try out physics and the shiny new renderer, it's worth looking at.
Cool. Sadly it's taking ages to download.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Nah, the more arties get killed the better, be they friendly or enemy. Ideally I want both teams artillery to get wiped out so I can have a nice match without the angry fist of god smiting me for daring to poke my head out from behind a rock.
The angry fist of god is probably thinking "finally our retards have scouted someone, now please let this not be a 0% hit"
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Vendetta wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:Nah, the more arties get killed the better, be they friendly or enemy. Ideally I want both teams artillery to get wiped out so I can have a nice match without the angry fist of god smiting me for daring to poke my head out from behind a rock.
The angry fist of god is probably thinking "finally our retards have scouted someone, now please let this not be a 0% hit"
Yeah, and then they blow away 3/4 of my E-75s health at the start of the match, or throw off both my tracks from a shell that misses me by 20 feet.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I would like arty better if we had infantry in buildings or emplacements/bunkers/trenches that actually needed the pounding with attacking tanks reserved as the desperation move I always found them as in Close Combat games.

I also wish we had historical battles, a lot of tanks strike me as not being good mostly because they aren't in situations where they made sense. So having 12 T-34's versus 4 Panzer III's, 2 Panzer IV's and that 1 Tiger would be sweet.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

New patch is going to be interesting. Lots of major balance shifts, plus the way physics changes how tanks maneuver.

Poor M48A1 got absolutely gutted. I'm a lot less interested in getting one now that they destroyed it's only selling point, and actually LOWERED it's DPS to be less than it's Tier 9 counterpart (as well as having generally worse soft stats, wtf).
T-50-2 getting rightfully nerfed. Damn that hovercar.
Major change to all sloped armor. Reduced shell normalization from 8 degrees to 5. That's going to be huge. Expect a LOT more bounces next patch.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

They're nerfing the T110E4, so that's good. Damn thing was a monster. The reduced normalization will improve the situation for the German tier 10s heavies in that their armor might count for something again, but now their already anemic guns will be even worse. Poor, poor E-100.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

I bet you love it when that righteous fist of god is smiting your enemies, though. :)

With arty, what bugs me more than no-damage hits is when I've waited patiently for a week for my gun to reload, waited another 5 days for my reticle to close in, and then my 1200 credit shot lands fifty meters short, like my loader forgot a powder charge or something.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I'm in an interesting cunundrum, being in my IS-3 despite my accuracy being terrible at long ranges I can actually bounce direct hits to my glacius from a Jadgtiger. I'm going to experiment with a more snipery strategy I think.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

What'd they do to the T-50-2? Didn't notice too much difference the few rounds I played this morning, but one was literally 9 T-50-2s and some support vs. 7 T-50-2s and 3 Chaffees and some support, and the other the T-50-2 was an idiot and didn't even try to maneuver on my T34...

Also, what are people thinking about the new Soviet TD line? Looks like it basically trades the giant stick of the 152s for actual real accuracy and penetration, if I'm reading the in game thing right.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Vejut wrote:What'd they do to the T-50-2? Didn't notice too much difference the few rounds I played this morning, but one was literally 9 T-50-2s and some support vs. 7 T-50-2s and 3 Chaffees and some support, and the other the T-50-2 was an idiot and didn't even try to maneuver on my T34...

Also, what are people thinking about the new Soviet TD line? Looks like it basically trades the giant stick of the 152s for actual real accuracy and penetration, if I'm reading the in game thing right.
Haven't played the new test, but the consensus on the new tier 10 td, the Object 263, is that in its current state the single most overpowered vehicle ever introduced.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay, just had a great match in my KV-1. Rolled up to base, and bounced shells left and right. I was slowly trudging forward, nothing the other team had (aside from a III/IV) could actually hurt me...and I slowly shot them all down with my 85. I get the distinct feeling the other team was thinking 'OMG get away from that KV!!'.

That is until my internet decided to cut out...and when I got back on my tank was dead and the base was nearly taken! :banghead:

Great match ruined because of my kriffing internet...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Related to that...which is a better tank...the T-150 or KV-1S? Wondering which I should go for when I get done with the KV-1.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Related to that...which is a better tank...the T-150 or KV-1S? Wondering which I should go for when I get done with the KV-1.
The T-150 is a more heavily armored and armed KV-1. The KV-1S is less well armored, but has more speed and firepower. Personally I strongly prefer the 1S, but it depends on your preference.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

KV-1s gets a better end gun, but shells are expensive as all heck, and the grind to it has just been...ow. only gun you keep from KV is 122, and only going on to IS is the 85. T150 I think is same way on the grind, but the 107 is still usable if not great at tier 7, and cheap ammo. course, both T150 and KV3 are painful handlers til their last engine, so kinda either or, as it should be.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

wautd wrote:I wish you had the option to choose Teams by country (eg French vs Soviet tank matches). I wonder which country has the best ingame tanks overall
The funny thing is they're very complimentary to each other and it'd be hard as hell to assemble a working team out of any given nation's tanks. The French need too much coordination and are too prone to getting eroded. The Americans are amazing but they require skills that I'm not sure are too common in pubs. The Germans are too damn slow and they really lack a proper flanking medium, and the Russians are terrible in rough terrain but are good at being driven terribly and still performing well.
The Vortex Empire wrote: Haven't played the new test, but the consensus on the new tier 10 td, the Object 263, is that in its current state the single most overpowered vehicle ever introduced.
Weirdly enough none of the rest feel op much at all, with good and bad traits mixed in pretty evenly, but that thing's totally ridiculous, it's hugely armored, fast as lightning and chucks a big enough shell with serious DPM. Amusingly enough it's probably going to be useless in CW because the weak sides and top (and front against gold for that matter) are going to force it into cover at long range, and the low gold pen and low alpha make the Object 268 strictly superior since the latter's got almost as much DPM, throws a much bigger shell for short firing opportunities and has much better pen for long range shooting. It should get some nerfs though, the first test of the E-75 was a really good tier ten and there's another few tanks that were broken past belief in test. We'll see what comes of it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Doesn't gold ammo lose a lot of its penetrating power at long range? Or rather, APCR does, HEAT doesn't, right?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Simon_Jester wrote:Doesn't gold ammo lose a lot of its penetrating power at long range? Or rather, APCR does, HEAT doesn't, right?
Yes. HEAT doesn't lose penetration over range, however it also has no normalization, so all armor is effectively thicker when using it.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

I'll just leave this here.

Victory!
Battle: Murovanka Saturday, September 08, 2012 3:15:54 AM
Vehicle: M12
Experience received: 5,682 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 52,848
Battle Achievements: Expert: U.S.S.R., Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Power to the Peaceful

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Haha finally had a match where a Marder called me a transsexual for daring to get ten kills all while hiding in a su85b
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The beta is pretty sweet and I'm liking the payoff that will await me in the normal game if I ever cap off the American heavy line. The Maus is pretty entertaining too if just for the feeling you get when bearing down on just about anything.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

So as someone who hasn't played but is interested, how much grinding am I going to have to do before I start getting competitive light tanks? Or is it just going to be a constant rape fest?

I'm specifically interested in playing Soviet light tanks.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Tiers 1-3 are pretty fast grinds. I think I only did a couple battles in Tier One before I moved on with the Soviet tree. And once you get past the MS-1 (Sov T1) you get the awesomeness that is the BT-2.

So if your goal is to drive Soviet Lights, it won't take much to get them. The longest thing at the low tiers is the Tutorial, but doing that is totally optional (though it does net you a Premium Soviet M3 Stuart).

EDIT: Though if you try to go past Tier 3 (BT-7 or T-46 depending on which Soviet Tech Tree you go down) it starts getting into the 'annoyingly painful grind' stage. Tier IV is horrible...unless you have a T-50 from what I've heard. Didn't get it myself though.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Jub wrote:The beta is pretty sweet and I'm liking the payoff that will await me in the normal game if I ever cap off the American heavy line. The Maus is pretty entertaining too if just for the feeling you get when bearing down on just about anything.
The Maus is really fun, it's just that angling it properly and making the most of cover is a very tricky skill. Not many people, even in clan wars know how to do it well, but it's amazing when it works.
AniThyng wrote:Haha finally had a match where a Marder called me a transsexual for daring to get ten kills all while hiding in a su85b
Niiiice. The best I've gotten out of someone is a guy in an IS-6 calling me a nerd for trashing him and an M103 face-on in a T-54.
Aaron MkII wrote:So as someone who hasn't played but is interested, how much grinding am I going to have to do before I start getting competitive light tanks? Or is it just going to be a constant rape fest?

I'm specifically interested in playing Soviet light tanks.
I don't think any of the line through to the T-50-2 is uncompetitive. The T-_6 tanks are fast which is a huge help for the sort of jittery brawling you see at low tiers and mount good guns, and the T-50 is already a very capable scout. It's not going to be ganking much, but ganking things in a -2 is little more than a rarity as well. If you want to be scouting, the T-50 and T-50-2 are pretty much your best bets and are both very solid at the job. The T-46 isn't as much a scout as a very fast combat tank and the players aren't great enough to really make scouting fruitful. Getting in a T-50 isn't hard at all though.