World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:... well, shit because you're right next to a very angry tank and he's got 40+ seconds to shoot at you before you can do anything again...
The thing with the Fochs, is that it can deal about 2500 dmg between reloading the drum. That means that there might be no angry tank next to you, but a dead tank. Don't know how much dmg Batchat does between reloads, but I think it too has the power to kill even quite heavy tanks in one go and the speed and agility to get away afterwards if the driver knows what he's doing.

On another note: I think I just set some kind of record. Played my SU-26 and concentrated my fire on a KV-1S. I managed to put it on fire twice. Battle report showed I damaged 22 modules... No kidding. I thought you had only 8 modules, so each fire must have taken hold of all the tank, that would be 16 modules. I hit him 5 times and did 796 dmg... How is that even possible? It has 760hp? Did the battle report get drunk, or something?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Crewmen.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Just got told on general chat that you get an hp boost to 810 when you change the turret. But still... I bet the driver of the KV-1S was cursing my name.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Or just looking forward to the sweet sweet nerfs in 8.6..

Think your little pedobear artillery will be safe?

Think again.

No 122mm.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:Or just looking forward to the sweet sweet nerfs in 8.6..
Think your little pedobear artillery will be safe?
Think again.
No 122mm.
Nooo, not my beloved 122! But then again, if they do that to more artillery, the game might be more enjoyable for the rest.
Will they just remove it or replace it with something else? Do you have a source for this?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

On the current supertest build it's been replaced with another 76mm. There's a big ol' thread on it on the EU forums about what's been leaked so far from the supertest players. (There's also pictures floating around of a couple of british arty pieces, even though they're not for 8.6)
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

So the GWPanther, which currently has 0.43 accuracy, has 0.7 on the supertest. I very, VERY much like the sound of these nerfs. I can only imagine what the new accuracy of the T92 will be. 1.2 maybe? Hehehe.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Frankly, with accuracy like that I don't see what the point of artillery will be. I'm not sure how the accuracy numbers scale, but any tank that inaccurate just wouldn't be used.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I simply cannot wait for the arty nerf. It's what ruins high tier games, and makes concealment based units useless. Gold ammo already is the proper counter to super-armored units, so let's just make arty into something that takes several shots to dig out a stationary target, instead of one-shotting moving ones.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Isn't nerfing accuracy, and thus nerfing by increasing randomisation, the wrong way to go for player benefit, though? It'll make an artillery hit just as bad as before, only slightly rarer. Wouldn't a better solution be that when it hits, there's less of a chance of ruining the match for the target immediately? Lower maximum damage, lower module damage, things like that that would make it less a matter of rolling the dice vs death and more "whoops I just took a hit I need to be careful".

Lowering accuracy doesn't seem as if it'd do anything on making it harder to hit moving vs stationary tanks, which seems to be the other issue.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Oh wonderful, WoT getting even more randomization, ensuring that skills is even less of a factor when playing.

I'd be OK with damage and accuracy nerfs to arty as long as there was a massive splash radius increase. Thus giving arty the role of constant low-damage threat.

Gold ammo is the proper counter to dug-in superheavy armor? Let me point and laugh. Even if that were true, it's still bad game design.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

It's not my ideal arty nerf by any means, but at this point I'll happily take just about any arty nerf. My ideal solution would be to nerf damage, increase aimtime, and buff accuracy, so it's more skill, less random, and can't easily hit moving targets.

EDIT: Actually, my ideal solution would be to remove it entirely since it adds nothing to the game, but I don't see WG ever doing that, so...
Last edited by The Vortex Empire on 2013-05-08 06:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

I'd rather it be a nerf that actually improves gameplay than one that just goes to sate some anti-artillery bloodlust, though.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I'd rather it be a nerf that actually improves gameplay than one that just goes to sate some anti-artillery bloodlust, though.
If it results in arty hitting and nuking people less, especially moving people, then it's an improvement.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I'd rather it be a nerf that actually improves gameplay than one that just goes to sate some anti-artillery bloodlust, though.
Given that the fear of instant explosive doom is what turns a lot of games into horrible campfests, yes, it will improve gameplay.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, new stats page on official wargaming site, only implemented on SEA site so far: http://worldoftanks-sea.com/community/a ... -Basharoo/
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Vendetta wrote:Given that the fear of instant explosive doom is what turns a lot of games into horrible campfests, yes, it will improve gameplay.
What I'm saying is that if you keep the risk of instant unseen death, just with somewhat smaller odds, you haven't really improved much. If being hit by an artillery shot is something that you don't want but won't immediately ruin your match, and it is at least relatively consistent if you are staying in one place, this can be used for the whole purpose artillery is designed for of disincentivising camping.

I'd suggest increasing aim time, increasing accuracy at the expense of splash, lowering module damage and capping the damage upon a full penetration significantly lower. If I'm guessing right, this would make it harder to hit tanks on the maneuver and in general make artillery more of a DoT threat than an instant threat. If you're sitting at a spot and an artillery shell hits you, you know you now have the choice of repositioning or being ground down to death. It's also offering more agency to the players when threatened by artillery which should make it feel less bad to be under fire by one.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

So, if you're in a tier 6 game in a tier 4 tank, you probably don't expect to walk out with a steel wall and five kills.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I still think most of the problems with arty could be solved by capping them at 3 per team instead of five. Anything above three, and its not even fun for the arty anymore.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I tend to agree with Jogurt but think splash could be increased a bit if landing an arty hit does similar damage to a same tier tank destroyer. Make it really hurt stuff like bat derps that get stupid and more importantly really hurt groups camping in cover. High accuracy, long aim time, large splash but no penetrating hits. Maybe even airbursts to dig people out of cover. But rough aim time you need to be thinking ahead to hit moving tanks.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:I still think most of the problems with arty could be solved by capping them at 3 per team instead of five. Anything above three, and its not even fun for the arty anymore.
They have no plans of doing so, and in fact that 5 arty cap is being removed when this rebalance happens.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Lots of discounts this weekend.
I'm gonna fill up on small repair kits and stuff.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

x5 Weekend? Well, I guess I can give up on winning any good matches this weekend...
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

^ That. While they are nice for XP, they bring alllll teh noobs out.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I've never understood that line of reasoning. Even if it's true that all the terribads come out on weekends, they're on the other team too, so it wouldn't affect your winning in any way.