Is this a scam?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Is this a scam?

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have recently been called twice by a operators who said that windows is reporting to Microsoft that my computer has inadvertently downloaded some viruses or at least some software I most probably don't want. The first time I said there was no problem and hung up. They are however persistent, and another operator with an Indian accent called me again.

Basically accessing my computer =>manage=> event viewer +> windows log, there does appear to be several error messages.

They then tell me how to correct by linking to their website and using remote services which will link me to Microsoft's own server or some stuff like that. My paranoia metre went into overdrive when I saw their website isn't Microsoft's website.

+http://www.urgentechelp.com+

So while I was stalling I googled the site and came up with this gem, and asked him how I knew he was legitimate. After a while I hung up.

My computer seems to be working fine, but I decided to start running the anti spyware, anti malware programs just to be on the safe side.

So was I right in terminating the conversation? Or was I too paranoid?
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2012-08-18 09:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broke the Link
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Re: Is this a scam?

Post by Zac Naloen »

It's a scam, your computer doesn't report faults to Microsoft that they then forward to a third party.

There are always errors regarding something or other in the event viewer it means nothing on it's own.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you really this stupid? I can't imagine why you'd think Microsoft would cold call customers from India about malware. Secret ninja army or something?

The is EXACTLY how malware works. Click the purple gorilla for me, sir!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

If you have to ask "Is this a scam?" then it's a scam.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The first thing scammers like these do is scaremonger. If a guy begins a cold call by telling you you're gonna die of cancer or get your computer blown up if you don't buy their product/service, it's a scam.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Stark wrote:Are you really this stupid? I can't imagine why you'd think Microsoft would cold call customers from India about malware. Secret ninja army or something?

The is EXACTLY how malware works. Click the purple gorilla for me, sir!
Considering I didn't actually buy their schmitck, thats quite a statement.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Oh man those guys were persistant. When I got them the first time the guy went through the hassle making up a fake company name and stuff, but the second guy just opened with "I'm calling from the technical department of your computer". If you're going to try and scam me then at least put some effort in.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

2000AD wrote:Oh man those guys were persistant. When I got them the first time the guy went through the hassle making up a fake company name and stuff, but the second guy just opened with "I'm calling from the technical department of your computer". If you're going to try and scam me then at least put some effort in.
There's actually a method to their madness, they make absurd openings because they want to find the most gullible idiot they can get ahold of to scam. They don't want someone who's smart enough to figure it out and maybe sue them.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Obviously a scam as MS won't cold call you. I got one of these assholes saying they were from 'Windows' calling about my computer.

First off I said that Windows was a product, not a company then hung up. I've seen youtube videos of two guys stringing these ones along though, both of which are funnny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2d0nBtz_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcckUUjUiHo
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

If it is really true that - at a low end - 30-40% of Windows based PC's are infected with malware, Microsoft would need hundreds of call centers to handle the volume necessary to notify everyone that their computers were infected. They don't. It would cost too much money for little to no gain.

If you really think you have a virus, try ESET's Nod32 online scanner. If you want protection before you get something, purchase an AV product from someone like them or Norton. If you want free, use MS Security Essentials, but remember that you do get what you pay for - as long as you do your homework.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Torben wrote:If it is really true that - at a low end - 30-40% of Windows based PC's are infected with malware, Microsoft would need hundreds of call centers to handle the volume necessary to notify everyone that their computers were infected. They don't. It would cost too much money for little to no gain.

If you really think you have a virus, try ESET's Nod32 online scanner. If you want protection before you get something, purchase an AV product from someone like them or Norton. If you want free, use MS Security Essentials, but remember that you do get what you pay for - as long as you do your homework.
A lot of people just aren't aware of it. Or the infection lasts as long as it takes for their anti-virus to root it out.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Those things are annoying.
I've been called four times by one of those scammers in the last week.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

There was a stage where I was getting calls from these guys literally every day of the week. It's tapered off since then, but I still get a call from someone claiming to be calling from "The Windows Technical Service Department" or something every week or so. It annoys me every damn time.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:There was a stage where I was getting calls from these guys literally every day of the week. It's tapered off since then, but I still get a call from someone claiming to be calling from "The Windows Technical Service Department" or something every week or so. It annoys me every damn time.
You can get the phone company to take you off the listed numbers. Unfortunately you will have to wait until the next time these things are published. I am hoping to stop people advertising stuff (most of them appear legitimate) over the phone to me.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

mr friendly guy wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:There was a stage where I was getting calls from these guys literally every day of the week. It's tapered off since then, but I still get a call from someone claiming to be calling from "The Windows Technical Service Department" or something every week or so. It annoys me every damn time.
You can get the phone company to take you off the listed numbers. Unfortunately you will have to wait until the next time these things are published. I am hoping to stop people advertising stuff (most of them appear legitimate) over the phone to me.
I use a cell phone, have it listed on the do not call registry and don't worry about this. I've gotten maybe one marketing call over the last 6 years.
Zanfib
Redshirt

Post by Zanfib »

Did they talk about 'red errors' and 'yellow warnings'?
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

These dickheads. I've had calls from the "Windows Company", and from other people I can't remember mainly because I wasn't in a "Play along for the amusement" mood and just hung up straight away, but I mainly remember my first one where a guy told me that my computer had emailed him with a virus that infected his computer, but I could clean my computer by... by... something or other (don't remember the details, who really gives a fuck?). This raised interesting questions in my mind, since I was only accessing the internet in linux at that point, and yet apparently my Windows OS was infected, and here he is calling me on the phone, and yet I knew for fact that my phone number, address, or name was not anywhere on my computer. Not even where it asks for your name when installing the OS, as I don't like being asked therefore my name tends to be "Bugger" and I work for the company "Off".
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The people who say this call has happened to them seem to be in Australia and the UK; has anyone heard of it in the US?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I know it's happened to people that I work with. I'm in Canada though.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I've been called by them a few times here in New Zealand.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'd expect it to happen in the US. It's a big target, and we've got no shortage of stupid people.

Maybe there's a legal thing that makes it dangerous to run the scam in the US.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov