Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

Postby Simon_Jester » 2016-10-29 01:06pm

GHETTO EDIT MK 2: And yes, having the lander be 30% engine by weight is kind of silly. Thing is, it's a bit difficult to imagine how else I could have gotten a lander of anything like comparable size, with a delta-V of 5000 m/s, an 'inert' payload of two tons or so, and the ability to take off and land on the Mun without difficulty.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Postby Adam Reynolds » 2017-02-07 04:07pm

So I just installed the Interstellar Mod, which allows you to build a large number of theoretical and mostly impossible engine designs in the late game, and was amused to find the EM drive as one of the possible components. Though the violations of physics are much less of an issue given that it also features an Alcubierre drive as the final objective as well.

As a side note, I have lately found that it is almost easier to learn how to fly rockets in career mode, as the limited number of parts works with the skill cure much more nicely than sandbox mode in which it is too easy to get distracted with tech that is both more advanced and harder to use properly.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Postby Dominus Atheos » 2017-02-07 06:26pm

Adam Reynolds wrote:As a side note, I have lately found that it is almost easier to learn how to fly rockets in career mode, as the limited number of parts works with the skill cure much more nicely than sandbox mode in which it is too easy to get distracted with tech that is both more advanced and harder to use properly.

I'd say that science sandbox is the best tutorial mode. Same tech tree, but no worries about money, so you can crash or blow up as many times as needed to learn without any downside.
Anonymous facebooker on the "Snowmageddon" February 2010 DC snowstorm:

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Postby Simon_Jester » 2017-02-07 07:06pm

If you start out knowing a fair amount about rockets so that you can design rockets that are vaguely sort of the right size and shape and all... Then you can start out in Career Mode without too much difficulty.

But it's not something you'd want to do if you're starting without preconceptions about what "a rocket" looks like. Or if your preconceptions don't match what real rockets are like.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Postby TimothyC » 2017-03-01 07:20am

BDB is finally getting to skylab, and the development releases even let you do wetworkshops. You do need wildbluetools however. PM me if anyone is interested.
Everyone who uses a computer frequently has had, from time to time, a mad desire to attack the precocious abacus with a axe. -John Drury Clark Ignition!

Violator of the Strategic Fancy Pants Limitation Treaty (Simon_Jester was the other signatory for Duchess's wedding)

TREEITMTWCTSGSWRPWFBTWEACTBOSCTSBISCSBAHTCTTSCEURTWWASOGSWWIMIBSBGONTIOS

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Postby TimothyC » 2017-03-02 08:31pm

Wet workshops!
Everyone who uses a computer frequently has had, from time to time, a mad desire to attack the precocious abacus with a axe. -John Drury Clark Ignition!

Violator of the Strategic Fancy Pants Limitation Treaty (Simon_Jester was the other signatory for Duchess's wedding)

TREEITMTWCTSGSWRPWFBTWEACTBOSCTSBISCSBAHTCTTSCEURTWWASOGSWWIMIBSBGONTIOS

Kinyo
Youngling

Postby Kinyo » 2017-05-05 07:48am

Pro-tip: Shutting down your engines doesn't reset the staging.

Been messing around with planes and an early successful design had 4 engines mounted on pylons under the wings. (You can see where this is going).

Did some flying about and decided to land on the grasslands and EVA for some science before bringing it home. Landed successfully and then shut down the engines before going walk about.

Got back in, throttled up and hit space to fire my engines again aaaaand they promptly fell off followed by me hanging my head.

Return to “Gaming, Electronics and Computers”