Galaxies Reborn (Pre-CU)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Galaxies Reborn (Pre-CU)

Post by TheFeniX »

I mentioned this in the TOR thread. Anyways, an old Outcast and Galaxies gaming buddy hit me up last night to bitch about how he finally quit TOR because it sucks and he misses Galaxies because X,Y,Z. I told him Galaxies Reborn had a stable release and that I had considered messing with it except... Skyrim... and not 2 months ago, I finally tossed my original Galaxies and Jump to Lightspeed CDs.

So, while I slew dragons, he installed Galaxies, downloaded their patch and was creating a character in under 15 minutes on one of the test servers. From what I've read and what he said, the patch is really just an update to the master server list and it only uses vanilla assets from the game. He said there were over 1,000 people on one test server and it was running very stable (no surprise though, Galaxies was never really all that hardware and bandwidth intensive even back on 56k).

This is all Pre-CU (Combat Upgrade). No classes, player run economy and crafting, and fun (if not hilariously broken) Rebel vs Empire PvP. Game is still ugly as sin though, but that never really mattered.

Hilarious sidenote:
"Man, I missed this game. I was a TKM. Was awesome."
"Yea, then they deleted Wanderhome."
"Oh yea, I played on Wanderhome, great server."
"Um... yea Tim I know, we gamed together for like 2 years."
"Oh yea, I forgot."

Guess I don't leave much of an impression on people...
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Galaxies Reborn (Pre-CU)

Post by Executor32 »

Pre-Combat Upgrade, you say? I may have to look into this. I played for a few months (until money got tight) back when the game first came out, and have quite a few fond memories of it. I was an Imperial, on Wanderhome as well if memory serves. I especially remember being very low level, going to the Imperial base on Naboo, and luring some way-over-my-level giant flying thing from the cliff behind the base within range of the NPC stormies guarding the place, just so I could hopefully get a decent chunk of XP for 'helping' kill the thing.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Re: Galaxies Reborn (Pre-CU)

Post by fordlltwm »

Cheers, I've been considering playing SWG for a while, had a copy for years but never had the energy to spend the pennies to play it on SOE. Then the monstrosity that is TOR came out and put paid to any chance of playing SWG until now....