What games could run on my Laptop?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

What games could run on my Laptop?

Post by Gurgeh »

I have a 5 year old laptop and I always seem to be getting games to powerfull for it. I would like to know what games can run really well on it. I'm new to the posting specs part but here they are.

•Intel® Pentium® Processor T3400
•Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 32-bit)
•2GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
•160GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
•DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
•Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
•No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
•86 key US keyboard
•CD/DVD Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Prev Track, Next Track)
•Media button
•Mute button
•Touch pad pointing device
•Li-Ion (4000mAh, 6-Cell)
•3-USB (2.0)

Here is the site where I found the specs for my Laptop
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...sp?poid=431233
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: What games could run on my Laptop?

Post by General Zod »

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

I don't see anything like a dedicated graphics card listed on there. Which means it's running integrated graphics or something terrible like that. So uh... yeah, I'd be surprised if you could run even moderately graphically intensive games from five years ago. But General Zod's link should help you out.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Some fun stuff out there, like Reccetear or Chanelise; Terraria, Winter Voices, DEFCON, maybe Morrowind?

Sound/Visual novels as well, like Higurashi, Mud Luv or Fate/Stay Night.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Morrowind would run but with poor framerate. I tried it on a laptop with similar configuration (with 4 GB tho). You cant even play Halo PC on it very well. Basically any 3D game with good graphics from before 2002 is suspect.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Well, I can tell you some older games that will run fine on that. WarCraft III, StarCraft, and Civ IV will run perfectly. The original Halo should too, hell, it runs on my ten year old XP machine and that only has 64mb graphics memory and 256mb RAM. Minecraft might do okay, but you'd need to set the render distance low.

Just wondering, what games do you already have working on it, and are you interested in just newer games or what? I don't want to give you suggestions that you already have running, nor suggest to you games that you wouldn't be interested in.

Oh, that reminds me, Homeworld and HW: Cataclysm should run on it, Homeworld 2 should as well although you may experience some lag.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The original Halo should too, hell, it runs on my ten year old XP machine and that only has 64mb graphics memory and 256mb RAM.
Halo has a problem with Intel graphics. Even rather modern (pre 2008-9) ones.

And it's not just Halo. The problem with Intel graphics is very bad shader model support. So you have tons of graphics memory on paper but sometimes get slow framerate or corrupted graphics in a game your PC should able to blitz through.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Civ IV? Not on any map or number of computers, or game speed worth playing with :D
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Operation Flashpoint (the original) might run well. It didn't have impressive graphics even when it came out in '01. But it is a large game (for its time) so it may not run on the 'higher' settings. That's all I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Sarevok wrote:
And it's not just Halo. The problem with Intel graphics is very bad shader model support. So you have tons of graphics memory on paper but sometimes get slow framerate or corrupted graphics in a game your PC should able to blitz through.
To be fair the newer Intel graphics are literally five hundred percent better than their own stuff. But on the flip side it is five hundred percent better and still half the power of a twenty dollar add in card from Nvidia or ATI.

With built in intel only graphics you can literally draw a line on games produced after 2004 with few exceptions, you should be able to run Source games on low for example. But otherwise your done.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

To be fair the newer Intel graphics are literally five hundred percent better than their own stuff. But on the flip side it is five hundred percent better and still half the power of a twenty dollar add in card from Nvidia or ATI.
Yeah. I can play Crysis 2 or Skyrim on mediumish detail on this laptop with Intel HD Graphics 3000. It lags occasionally but is a stellar improvement from what laptop Intel graphics meant even 2 years ago.
With built in intel only graphics you can literally draw a line on games produced after 2004 with few exceptions, you should be able to run Source games on low for example. But otherwise your done.
Well I have a laptop similar to the OP so have personal experince when I say Source Engine games run...badly. From what I could recall I could not eveng et Half Life 2 to run smoothly much less later games. It's stunning what a difference the intel graphics made on the cheap (sub $ 600) laptops back then. My desktop from 2002 could run games much more modern and more smoothly than a laptop purchased in 2009. The crappy Radeon 9250 card on that desktop apparently had superior performance.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Sarevok wrote:Halo has a problem with Intel graphics. Even rather modern (pre 2008-9) ones.

Well, I've owned two computers now that have integrated Intel graphics and I have to say I've only ever had graphics issues with Halo 2, and they only arose recently. My laptop may be an exception since it's quite new, but my netbook (which lags for CE because it doesn't have the processor power) didn't have any graphics issues either, and it's 2008 or so.

Earth, do you have the model of integrated graphics chipset your computer has? (Or a fixed link, the one in your post is broken.)
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Imperial528 wrote:Well, I can tell you some older games that will run fine on that. WarCraft III, StarCraft, and Civ IV will run perfectly. The original Halo should too, hell, it runs on my ten year old XP machine and that only has 64mb graphics memory and 256mb RAM. Minecraft might do okay, but you'd need to set the render distance low.

Just wondering, what games do you already have working on it, and are you interested in just newer games or what? I don't want to give you suggestions that you already have running, nor suggest to you games that you wouldn't be interested in.

Oh, that reminds me, Homeworld and HW: Cataclysm should run on it, Homeworld 2 should as well although you may experience some lag.
A Lot of stategy games like, Civilizations IV, Hearts of Iron, Starcraft II (which only works on really low settings), Europa universals III, Sim City, and a few others.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Dwarf Fortress ought to work, if you follow the advice on the wiki about maximising the framerate.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

SMAC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."