Company of Heroes 2 announced! (Eastern Front)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Company of Heroes 2 announced! (Eastern Front)

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

http://www.companyofheroes.com/news/com ... -announced
COMPANY OF HEROES 2 ANNOUNCED!

Today, THQ and Relic are proud to announce the long-awaited sequel to Company of Heroes, the highest rated strategy game of all-time. Putting players in charge of the Soviet Red Army, Company of Heroes 2 will introduce players to the harsh realities of war on the Eastern Front.

COMPANY OF HEROES® 2 INVADES THE EASTERN FRONT
Sequel to Critically Acclaimed Strategy Game Coming to PC in 2013

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. May 7, 2012 – THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced that a sequel to its critically acclaimed strategy game Company of Heroes® is scheduled to be taking gamers to the frozen frontlines of war in Russia in early 2013.

As a true sequel, this game moves the battle away from the common Western Front focus of World War II and refocuses on some of history’s most brutal and devastating conflicts on the Eastern Front, challenging players to take command of the iconic Red Army and repel the Nazi invaders from the very gates of Moscow.

Company of Heroes 2 utilizes Relic® Entertainment’s state of the art proprietary Essence 3.0 EngineTM to bring new technological advancements to the strategy genre in the form of innovative Dynamic Battle Tactics, increased graphical fidelity and new environmental destruction, ultimately putting the player in control with new Commander Abilities.

Greg Wilson, Producer at Relic Entertainment commented, “Company of Heroes 2 is a true successor, introducing a new front, new protagonists and new technology while retaining the unique mix of strategic gameplay and competitive multiplayer that made the original Company of Heroes such a success.”

Danny Bilson, Executive Vice President of Core Games commented, “We are excited to announce a sequel to one of THQ’s best loved properties. Company of Heroes 2 will deliver an amazing strategy experience along with a strong post-launch digital content plan that enhances and expands the product’s lifecycle.”

The original Company of Heroes was released in 2006 to critical acclaim and is currently the highest rated strategy title on Gamerankings.com (with more than five reviews) with an average of 93.82% based on 56 reviews. The game features similar acclaim on Metacritic.com with a Metascore of 93% based on 55 reviews.

Company of Heroes 2 is scheduled to be available for PC in early 2013. Keep checking back for more information.

About Company of Heroes 2

It is 1941 and the beginning of what will become the most brutal conflict of World War II, as Germany launches a full-scale invasion of the frozen tundra of the Soviet Union which would result in over 14 million military casualties. Take command of the iconic Soviet Red Army in brutal frontline warfare to free Mother Russia from the invading Nazis. Your strategic skills and tactical expertise hold the power to tip the very balance of this conflict in the sequel to the critically acclaimed and multi award-winning Company of Heroes. Engage in visceral tactical combat that will define you as a military leader and challenge you to wield the might of the Soviet Empire as you smash your way to Berlin.

About THQ

THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers, wireless devices and the Internet. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ sells product through its global network of offices located throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. More information about THQ and its products may be found at http://www.thq.com. THQ, Company of Heroes 2, Essence 3.0 Engines, Relic, Relic Entertainment and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.

All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

The statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts may be “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, estimates and projections about the business of THQ Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively referred to as “THQ”), including, but not limited to, expectations and projections related to the Company of Heroes 2 video game and are based upon management’s current beliefs and certain assumptions made by management. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, business, competitive, economic, legal, political and technological factors affecting our industry, operations, markets, products or pricing. Readers should carefully review the risk factors and the information that could materially affect THQ’s financial results, described in other documents that THQ files from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal period ended March 31, 2011 and subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, and particularly the discussion of trends and risk factors set forth therein. Unless otherwise required by law, THQ disclaims any obligation to update its view on any such risks or uncertainties or to revise or publicly release the results of any revision to these forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release.

# # #
I. Am. Stoked. :D
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Re: Company of Heroes 2 announced! (Eastern Front)

Post by CaptHawkeye »

*spits out drink from funeral toast for CoH franchise*
Best care anywhere.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Not to be a downer, but don't spit out that funeral toast just yet. My first reaction to this news was "Can THQ afford this?"
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Not to be a downer, but don't spit out that funeral toast just yet. My first reaction to this news was "Can THQ afford this?"
That's assuming they haven't paid for it yet. I'm more worried about future support for the game if THQ goes under.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally another RTS-game worth playing since... errr... the original CoH came out?
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

I'm curious to see how CoH 2 compares to the Eastern Front mod - http://www.easternfront.org/

several friends and I have been playing the mod for some time now, and it's pretty damn nice
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I haven't even played the original CoH and I'm looking forward to this! :D

Finding a good RTS isn't exactly easy, and from everything I've heard the original CoH was excellent, so I've got high hopes for this game. And I'll actually own my own computer by that point...so this is great news!
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

A mighty "Huzzah" was heard around the local gaming store. CoH has been the only real RTS worth playing for far too long.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I've been playing the Blitzkrieg mod for CoH mostly as it solved pretty much all of my gameplay mechanical issues with the game making it more like Close Combat/Men of War. I am looking forward a lot to this a lot.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Now if only someone would announce World in Conflict 2.
Best care anywhere.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Blitzkrieg mod is better than anything Relic could make but sadly only 2-3 people play it. :(
Best care anywhere.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Blitzkrieg mod is better than anything Relic could make but sadly only 2-3 people play it. :(
Do you have MSN or Skype? Me and my friends like 7~ people play it semi often.

Play European War Escalation ;) I have that too; T-34 rush!
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Now if only someone would announce World in Conflict 2.
Or Homeworld 3. I mean, seriously, is trying to stand out from the crowd in the RTS market and the Second World War games market somehow a safer bet than an original IP with a large existing fanbase, set in a much less crowded market?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Zaune wrote:
CaptHawkeye wrote:Now if only someone would announce World in Conflict 2.
Or Homeworld 3. I mean, seriously, is trying to stand out from the crowd in the RTS market and the Second World War games market somehow a safer bet than an original IP with a large existing fanbase, set in a much less crowded market?
No, just no. Relic ain't what it used to be. And if there is anything that the DOW expansions and HW2 have shown us it's that when it comes to sequels they have a less than stellar record. Combine that with the fact that while large the HW1 fan base is very romantic about the game (similar to fans of a certain SF series we all know and like) and you get a basically unpleasable fan base. I would rather not ever get HW3 than get something weak and watered down like Dark Crusade or HW2. And many people I know agree with that. (I frequent the relic forums.)
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I used to frequent them as well for a long while (I think it was the thread where we started looking at ways to improve democracy and an overwhelming majority of the responses were about taking the vote away from "unworthy" people that drove me off) and I know exactly what you mean. I am however willing to at least credit Relic with the ability to learn from their mistakes, and some of their employees used to frequent the forums as well so they should know exactly what those mistakes were.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

@Zaune
I also heard, but this is unreliable at best that the original design team that did HW1 is no longer on board with Relic. Either way, I have lost all faith in Relic. About the only thing that I would actually like to see from them now is a redo of HW1 for modern computers and with modern graphics, multi core support and stuff. But keep the same story, and for the love of god keep the same cutscenes and voices.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Blayne wrote:
Play European War Escalation ;) I have that too; T-34 rush!
You missed the part of the comparison where WiC was good.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I don't know where people ever got off saying "European Escalation is WiC 2" and they were saying it. As soon as the game was announced forums and youtube comments everywhere were full of people comparing the games. They look absolutely nothing like eachother and play nothing like eachother either. What was similar? That they both had guns and tanks? I mean sure you got me there. :/
Best care anywhere.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

They're not the same but they are comparable. They are both Cold War RTS games with an emphasis on historical accuracy and realism. They differ in that WiC focused on being an arcade like RTS to favor a more fluid, dynamic fast paced game. Whereas EE focuses much more on realism and more slow paced tactical gameplay as to appeal to Cold War enthusiastic, but both had a focus on teamwork, beautiful environments*, and large battles on fairly large maps.

*Honestly in EE zoom in all the way on a town on your settings on highest and oh man, I would play a FPS just fine with those graphics.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Did you just say a game where Abrams and T-80s are the same and the USSR invades Seattle with container ships has an emphasis on historical accuracy and realism?

WiC was a fast, cooperative team-based game more like a modern shooter than an RTS. European Escalation is ... Not.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Now Stark, you know as well as I do that "realism" to fatnerds means that all the greeble on all the tanks is modelled exactly right, and there are fifteen variants of everything with little tactical difference to distinguish them.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Or that the controls and user interface are intentionally designed poor, to seperate the noobs from the real men.
Best care anywhere.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Vendetta wrote:Now Stark, you know as well as I do that "realism" to fatnerds means that all the greeble on all the tanks is modelled exactly right, and there are fifteen variants of everything with little tactical difference to distinguish them.
The term is neckbeard :colbert:

But yes, WiC being accurate is just meant to mean it has the armaments that would be expected to show up there hypothetically and they look accurate. But it isn't accurate afaik to say that WiC had 15 variants of the same unit, I do not recall them having that. EE does have that, but it's easier to make the argument that a skilled player who knows what he is doing with good micro CAN make the distinctions matter in a decisive way.

For example the T-55 is arguably better than the T-34 in that it has better armor and a better gun (and I think it can fire on the move semi-decently) However the T-34 has a .50cal machine gun while the T-55 does not. Meaning that the T-34 can make a decent effort to fend off careless helicopter rushes while the T-55 can't, making it more cost effective to spam 200 T-34's instead of say 100 T-55's and 4-8 mobile missile launchers.

I *like* tank rushes even though they can backfire spectacularly because they will win a plurality of matches.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Holy shit did you just say "skilled player with good micro" and then follow it up with "I build 200 of the same thing and win most of the time?" as a justification as to why having tiny differences in tanks makes EE a better game?

Are you secretly MarineKingPrime?