Watch_Dogs

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Watch_Dogs

Post by Zaune »

Official Site

So... the gameplay is interesting; people have compared it to Assassin's Creed and Deus Ex: Human Revolution but it looks to me like the nearest comparison is the Syndicate remake, only in third-person and with a contemporary setting. Nobody seems to know how much of the gameplay in the first trailer was scripted, but supposedly there's more than one way of beating that objective and they were just showing off as many different game mechanics as possible.

The plot centres around the fact that after a disgruntled power company employee created a blackout across most of New York State, a large number of US cities have centralised the operation of all their civic functions like power, traffic control, CCTV etc under one single supercomputer system. This was supposed to somehow be more secure.* Exploiting the fact that it isn't, for some rather ill-defined goal, is apparently the point of the game.

Oh, and no word if it's going to include Ubisoft's usual millstone-like DRM, though even they must realise they'll be mocked even more mercilessly than usual when it's inevitably cracked.

* If you started wondering if this meant the game was some kind of unofficial Blake's 7 prequel then congratulations, you're as big a nerd as I am.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Watch_Dogs

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Considering they demoed it on a high-end PC, I'd hope they don't do retarded DRM so I can get it to look as nice as it did at the show, but they haven't learned their lesson yet...
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Considering they demoed it on a high-end PC, I'd hope they don't do retarded DRM so I can get it to look as nice as it did at the show, but they haven't learned their lesson yet...
It's an Ubisoft game. Of course they'll include invasively restrictive DRM.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Especially if they explicitly say it won't.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

DRM however is not the point. It's transferring the AC style gameplay into modern GTA-like world. The tech demo looks excellent. Actually, WD was supposed to be part of the AC franchise, but in the end they decided they want to create a whole new IP.

After watching the video - I'm sold. Ubisoft has released some quite good games lately and I do look forward to see what comes out of it.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

New trailer:

Apparently it's going to have some vaguely GTA-style open world elements. Going by the last few seconds of the video, I'm guessing there's going to be a limit to how often you can use that smartphone before it starts bringing unwelcome police attention down on you.

And is anyone else getting the feeling that someone at Ubisoft is a big Daniel Suarez fan?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

So, we now have system requirements, though they're apparently provisional.
Minimum requirements:

- Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit;
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz;
- RAM: 6 GB;
- Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0;
- Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card;
- This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY.

Recommended requirements:

- Processor: Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz;
- RAM: 8 GB;
- Video Card: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 or higher;
- Sound Card: Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card;
- Supported video cards at time of release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series; Intel Iris Pro HD 5200.
Now, does anyone happen to have the foggiest idea whether two dual-core Xeons at 3.6GHz are good enough to meet the minimum spec?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Recommended 4GHz CPU?
Why don't they simply put the requirements in thousands of dollars?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

krakonfour wrote:Recommended 4GHz CPU?
Why don't they simply put the requirements in thousands of dollars?
Note it's a 200$ CPU, likewise the I7 is a 300$ cpu. Also it's recommended, Ubi is better than most in that recommended is what you need to run everything at 100%

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Minimum specs tend to be a bit on the generous side as well these days, now that gaming's mainstream enough for the advertising standards people to actually care.

Besides, the thing's got to run on an XBox 360.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

It's also been delayed until next spring, so you poor PC people get more time to save up!
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

They require 6GB of Ram and a 1GB GPU, but at the same time support the Iris Pro HD5200? These requirements were put together by accountants.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Tolya wrote:They require 6GB of Ram and a 1GB GPU, but at the same time support the Iris Pro HD5200? These requirements were put together by accountants.
Haha. You mean by the advertising department always putting the latest Nvidia in the recommended requirements?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art