Star Wars 1313 - Bullshots and trash

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars 1313 - Bullshots and trash

Post by Aaron MkII »

There's plenty of universe to explore, so I welcome having no jedi or force stuff. Let us see the shitty parts of Wars without being a superman, Jedi are one lf the least interesting things about wars anyways.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Hav said it already but honestly the more I think about it the more I realize the Gears formula fits a Star Wars game perfectly. I doubt this game will feature it, but imagine Horde Mode with Clone Troopers instead of Gears, Battle Droids instead of Drones, Super Battle Droids and Destroyer Droids instead of Boomers and Grinders.

Imagine Palpatine doing the post-match brow beating. With his voice sort of creepily going back and forth between "Chancellor" and "Emperor" tone.

CIS Wins

"Do you think this is good enough? The Republic needs far, far more than what you gave today."
Best care anywhere.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Aaron MkII wrote:There's plenty of universe to explore, so I welcome having no jedi or force stuff. Let us see the shitty parts of Wars without being a superman, Jedi are one lf the least interesting things about wars anyways.
I'll second that, Jedi are boring now from a gameplay perspective. I think the last game that I actually enjoyed playing as a Jedi was the old Phantom Menace game, and perhaps the spinoff Jedi Power Battles, both for the PSX. That's probably in large part due to the fact they were the first Star Wars games with lightsabers on consoles since the Super series of games on the SNES. KoTOR was cool, but more so because it was an RPG set in the SW than anything else. I still say Dark Forces, Bounty Hunter, and Republic commando are the most interesting nonflying* Star Wars games to come out, largly because your protagnists aren't superhuman magicians with laser swords and they aren't primary or even secondary characters in terms of their importance in the universe. I'm honestly not sure what it would take to make Jedi, and all that they entail, interesting again from a gameplay perspective.

Note *: I'm not really sure where I'd put the podracer game, as it is the only Star Wars racing game I know of, though I certainly had many hours of fun with it back in the day on my N64.
Havok wrote:Geezuz. Why can there NEVER be anything new in Star Wars without people complaining that OMG IT DOESN'T SOUND/LOOK/FEEL LIKE STAR WARS ARRRRRHGGGHGHGHGH :roll:
That would obviously be raping the childhoods of the audience. Won't someone think of the non-children.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Remember kids, all guns sound exactly the same.

For me it's not so much that Jedi are boring in a gameplay sense, they don't interest me as characters.

I would play a Jedi cover shooter if the plot was good and characters decent.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I'm not really sure how you'd do a cover shooter with someone who only fights in melee.

As for me, I love 3rd person cover shooters as long as the mechanics aren't broken. The opportunity to repeatedly pop out of cover and shoot stormtroopers should make this worth either a rental or a cheap used purchase from gamestop, but I doubt i'll pay full price for it. I haven't paid full price for a SW game since I bought the two-pack of Empire at War and Forces of Corruption a couple years ago, and even that was marked down.

Bottom line: Will this game be fun? Yeah probably. Is it worth 40$, probably not.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Darksider wrote:I'm not really sure how you'd do a cover shooter with someone who only fights in melee.

As for me, I love 3rd person cover shooters as long as the mechanics aren't broken. The opportunity to repeatedly pop out of cover and shoot stormtroopers should make this worth either a rental or a cheap used purchase from gamestop, but I doubt i'll pay full price for it. I haven't paid full price for a SW game since I bought the two-pack of Empire at War and Forces of Corruption a couple years ago, and even that was marked down.

Bottom line: Will this game be fun? Yeah probably. Is it worth 40$, probably not.
If they made it more like Alpha Protocol it might be worth getting. But they won't so it's probably going to be Gears of Star Wars.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Darksider, look up Hunted: Demon's Forge. It's got a Gears cover system but is still primarily melee combat.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Darksider, look up Hunted: Demon's Forge. It's got a Gears cover system but is still primarily melee combat.
So like CoD Modern Warfare but with a cover system? :v

(That does sound interesting though, I'll look into it.)
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Skywalker
Redshirt

Post by Skywalker »

:shock: Star Wars Uncharted!
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Yay for the newest instalment of Gears of Star Wars. What really boggles me that in the times that creating huge open worlds devs are still persistent at recycling the same corridor shooter crap that has gotten old since... well, forever, but the novelty of cool graphics has already worn off.

Give it to Ubisoft, maybe they'll make something like Star Wars Dogs.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Their was a Gears of Star Wars before this one? Where? :lol:

Open world is not necessarily better than a linear one. It appeals to different tastes.

Oh you just want Gears of Uncharted instead, did you watch the trailer? You're basically getting that too.
Best care anywhere.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Their was a Gears of Star Wars before this one? Where? :lol:
They are all basically the same, I fail to see the difference. Oh yes, the branding is different, it must be good then!
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

There's nothing to say it's bad either.
Best care anywhere.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

While this looks interesting enough to keep an eye on, I wish they would do an open-world Star Wars game like Skyrim or Fallout rather then a corridor/cover shooter. You could even use the same massive building design, just make it so you go to different levels instead of different towns. Put a warrant out for your arrest and bingo, now you are stuck in this huge structure, dodging law patrols, and dealing with the gangs, thugs, and bystanders in a semi-open world environment.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

If they did something like that, it'd probably just end up being a poor knock-off of assasin's creed. Lucasarts is notorious for ripping off whatever genre seems popular at the moment and just sticking the SW label on it, and doing a piss-poor job if it to boot. If you like the basic type of gameplay, and you like SW you might have fun playing it, but there's still many ways Lucasarts could screw it up.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Tolya wrote:
CaptHawkeye wrote:Their was a Gears of Star Wars before this one? Where? :lol:
They are all basically the same, I fail to see the difference. Oh yes, the branding is different, it must be good then!
So what you are saying is that all cover based shooters in third person are the same? :lol:

I guess that means all flight simulators are the same... all side scrollers are the same... all RPGs are the same... all giant robot games are the same. :lol:

Man, I'm glad someone told me, you just saved me a bundle on never having to buy a new game.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"