Diablo 3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Diablo 3

Post by TheFeniX »

I seem to have a knack lately for picking the most underwhelming classes. The Barbarian on Nightmare mode is excruciating. By the time void zones physically pop on the screen, you have to be out of them or you're dead. Normal mobs can just wear you down so quickly and the self-heals are atrocious. Rend relies on a non-stacking bleed for heals. Whirlwind heals relies on critical hits, which means two other abilities must be setup and runed to increase crit chance (to ~18%) and for a pretty short duration. Since you're actually melee, unlike the monk who has more than a few "melee" abilities that work at range, void zones will kill you before they're even rendered. Even with a 7% run speed increase, mobs can kite me all day. Seriously, if the AI was better, 2 ranged mobs could easily kill me.

My tanking/self-healing build is about all I can use to not die to 4+ mobs and the game keeps throwing 15+ mobs at me.

I've already rerolled a Monk (which is stupid to be saying in a non-MMO) in preparation for Inferno (we're going to run 2 Monks and 2 Wizards). The Monk just feels better all around than the Barbarian.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

wautd wrote:Is it me or are there no gems on the EU action house? (or perhaps I'm doing something badong). No point in asking on the D3 official forums because it's filled to the brim with whiners and crybaby's
I don't know about EU, but NA commodities auction house has been closed for updates or something for a few days now.

And yeah, the D3 forums are so full of stupid people crying for attention it's silly. So many of them are from the entitlement generation too.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Man, this concept of "the entitlement generation" really amuses me. Especially when "entitlement" is used to refer to "does what we said it would do when we advertised it".

Protip: If it was a significant feature of the sales pitch, then you absolutely are entitled to it from the finished product, whether that's a functional RMAH or a product that's non-shit.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

It's in reference especially to every single DH player who abused 30-second smokescreen invulnerability, or wizard players running with a low-HP force armor, high-regen build and whining like babies when their obvious broken mechanics are patched and fixed and find out they have to work hard at building their gear like every other player. That and everyone who feels some over-riding need to make their own, "I quit D3" thread in the forums.

If you don't like D3, just don't play.
What's her bust size!?

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

How can anyone not like this game? Seriously.

I say this as someone who has only beat normal, and has a long way to go before getting to inferno, but goddamn. This game is really, really fun.
Spoiler
Felt bad for Leah though, and the ending cutscene was awful. At least Adria is still out there, but I'm not really sure where the story can go from here. Diablo has been defeated so many times that to bring him back would be terribly contrived; bringing back any of the other evils would be too, since it seems they're all dead. In any event, I hope we don't have to wait over two years for the expansion or sequel or whatever, like with StarCraft 2.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Stofsk wrote:How can anyone not like this game? Seriously.
If I wasn't of the mind that gaming with 3 friends is fun no matter the medium, I wouldn't find D3 all that great. It sure as hell isn't worth $60 when it has about the same customization as Castle Crashers (and manages more lag in the process). In fact, I would have probably stopped playing if not for friends.. The Barbarian is my kind of class, but it's fucking worthless outside the "left click until it's dead" difficultly known as "normal." I've rerolled monk, and it's like every ability the barbarian has is rolled into a different better ability the monk has. So, the character I want to play is a crippled in harder content. Other than that, the game isn't impressive in any way, either graphically or content-wise. It also manages to recycle annoying boss mechanics from WoW.

It's just stale, but that means little coming from me because I didn't like Diablo 2.

But hey, Blizzard handling female character development is hilarious.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Shinova wrote:
wautd wrote:Is it me or are there no gems on the EU action house? (or perhaps I'm doing something badong). No point in asking on the D3 official forums because it's filled to the brim with whiners and crybaby's
I don't know about EU, but NA commodities auction house has been closed for updates or something for a few days now.
Nah, I was being stupid and did the search wrong. That said, I recommend buying decent gems from the AH; most are much cheaper then when you'd craft them yourself
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

wautd wrote:That said, I recommend buying decent gems from the AH; most are much cheaper then when you'd craft them yourself
What about blacksmithing? From what I've read it's not worth the gold/time sink until around Hell or Inferno; the auction house is a better place to spend gold. Is that true?
Needs moar dakka
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

MrDakka wrote:
wautd wrote:That said, I recommend buying decent gems from the AH; most are much cheaper then when you'd craft them yourself
What about blacksmithing? From what I've read it's not worth the gold/time sink until around Hell or Inferno; the auction house is a better place to spend gold. Is that true?

I think so. + I'd expect that once everyone maxed out their crafters, gold will inflate the market so I'd buy now good gear to level up your characters while they're still relatively cheap
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Well, looks like I got hacked. Last time I played was 0100hrs this morning with Vympel. Logged in about 10-11 hrs later and my level 32 Wizard has no items at all, her inventory is cleared out, my entire stash and gold is gone, and in my 'recent players' tab it lists a guy with a suspicious username (literally it's like 'asdasdf' ffs).

Submitted a ticket and changed my password to some ungodly random 16 character alphanumeric combination. I did a full scan of my PC just in case, but MSE didn't find anything. However, my last password wasn't really a tough cipher or anything. Anyway I hope my account can get recovered because fuck this shit otherwise.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Aren't you glad that Blizzard have engaged in all this server side authentication to prevent hacking and cheating?
squidman001
Padawan Learner

Post by squidman001 »

Stofsk wrote:Well, looks like I got hacked. Last time I played was 0100hrs this morning with Vympel. Logged in about 10-11 hrs later and my level 32 Wizard has no items at all, her inventory is cleared out, my entire stash and gold is gone, and in my 'recent players' tab it lists a guy with a suspicious username (literally it's like 'asdasdf' ffs).

Submitted a ticket and changed my password to some ungodly random 16 character alphanumeric combination. I did a full scan of my PC just in case, but MSE didn't find anything. However, my last password wasn't really a tough cipher or anything. Anyway I hope my account can get recovered because fuck this shit otherwise.
Stofsk, I would suggest, if you are able to, that you get the authenticator from blizzard attached to your account. I got one for my iphone after my wow account was hacked and I haven't had a problem since. When you log in, it makes you place the numerical code in from the phone app or from the key chain stand alone authenticator in after you put in your email and password. I don't know if the key chain version was free but the app version was and the wife and I both use it.
"Generally I find that killing mice is easier if you use your mind." Ford Prefect

"It's like a camel pissed on raspberries and then they bottled it."
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

weemadando wrote:Aren't you glad that Blizzard have engaged in all this server side authentication to prevent hacking and cheating?
I'm as pleased as punch about it.
squidman001 wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Well, looks like I got hacked. Last time I played was 0100hrs this morning with Vympel. Logged in about 10-11 hrs later and my level 32 Wizard has no items at all, her inventory is cleared out, my entire stash and gold is gone, and in my 'recent players' tab it lists a guy with a suspicious username (literally it's like 'asdasdf' ffs).

Stofsk, I would suggest, if you are able to, that you get the authenticator from blizzard attached to your account. I got one for my iphone after my wow account was hacked and I haven't had a problem since. When you log in, it makes you place the numerical code in from the phone app or from the key chain stand alone authenticator in after you put in your email and password. I don't know if the key chain version was free but the app version was and the wife and I both use it.
I was thinking about it. Problem is I don't have a smartphone so I don't know if the app works with my shitty old piece of shit phone. Maybe it does, I'd have to look into it. The keychain authenticator would be another option, but it costs money and I don't know how long it would take to get from there to here.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Stofsk wrote:Spoiler
Felt bad for Leah though, and the ending cutscene was awful. At least Adria is still out there, but I'm not really sure where the story can go from here. Diablo has been defeated so many times that to bring him back would be terribly contrived; bringing back any of the other evils would be too, since it seems they're all dead. In any event, I hope we don't have to wait over two years for the expansion or sequel or whatever, like with StarCraft 2.
Spoiler
Leah's ultimate fate is likely to figure into expansion/content updates. One of the dialogues with Tyreal before you fight Diablo goes something like
Tyrael: I fear that if we defeat Diablo, Leah's innocent spirit will die with him...
Sorceror (is all I've finished the game with so far): I cannot believe that. I will never rest until her soul is at peace.

Since Adria is still out there and the soulstone wasn't destroyed (and there are lots of hooks in dialogue) they aren't short of options. And a fight with Imperius seems inevitable.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I say this as someone who has only beat normal, and has a long way to go before getting to inferno, but goddamn. This game is really, really fun.
Sorry to hear your account got hacked.

If you do get back up to speed you should really go for nightmare mode. It's a lot, LOT more fun. Especially when you're in a group so all the enemies are even more powerful. When your whole group gets into a fight with one or two champion packs or uniques plus a normal mob at the same time, and you're all fighting for your lives by the edge of your teeth it's glorious. And you have your whole active skillset available to you as well.

EDIT: Also there's a toll-free phone dial authenticator option.
What's her bust size!?

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Blizzard's line is that people should have authenticators and that this is all an issue with weak passwords. But I've read a few posts from people who claim to have authenticators and this still happening to them, which locks out keyloggers as being the issue (proceeded the data is reliable). Supposedly, assholes have found a way to spoof login sessions (bypassing needing the password or authenticator) from people they've played public games with.

Either way, I'm glad I avoid public players.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sriad wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Spoiler
Spoiler
Leah's ultimate fate is likely to figure into expansion/content updates. One of the dialogues with Tyreal before you fight Diablo goes something like
Tyrael: I fear that if we defeat Diablo, Leah's innocent spirit will die with him...
Sorceror (is all I've finished the game with so far): I cannot believe that. I will never rest until her soul is at peace.

Since Adria is still out there and the soulstone wasn't destroyed (and there are lots of hooks in dialogue) they aren't short of options. And a fight with Imperius seems inevitable.
Spoiler
Imperius cracking the shits would be awesome. The game not only sets that up, but also suggests that heaven aren't a bunch of nice guys either, when they nearly voted to destroy humanity way back when. I don't know if Blizzard has the balls to make heaven or angels out to be the bad guys properly though.

The only thing that really bothers me is the ending cinematic was all sunshine and happiness, and didn't do enough to set up the sequel/continuation/expansion. The previous two games ended in ways that begged for a continuation or a sequel. Diablo 1 ends with the notion that the character you played determined to set out for the East in the hopes of finding a solution to the Diablo/Soulstone problem. Diablo 2 ends with the Baal big reveal and cliffhanger that promised a resolution in the expansion pack. LoD ended with Tyrael blasting the worldstone, with a big huge question mark hanging over what exactly this would mean. Diablo 3 just has Tyrael go 'lol imma join you guys now' and has the new dawn imagery that smacks of finality. True, we do see the black soulstone plummet to... earth? Somewhere. But that's about it.
Shinova wrote:

Sorry to hear your account got hacked.

If you do get back up to speed you should really go for nightmare mode. It's a lot, LOT more fun. Especially when you're in a group so all the enemies are even more powerful. When your whole group gets into a fight with one or two champion packs or uniques plus a normal mob at the same time, and you're all fighting for your lives by the edge of your teeth it's glorious. And you have your whole active skillset available to you as well.

EDIT: Also there's a toll-free phone dial authenticator option.
I got an email saying they can roll back my account to a bit before I last played. It should mean I'll have all my gold and items, and only lose about a couple hours of progress on my monk character.

I'm also looking to get an authenticator as well.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Everyone should avoid the official diablo 3 forums. You lose IQ points every minute you stay on there. People bitch so much about Diablo's design, they even bitch about,
Spoiler
Tyrael being black
What's her bust size!?

AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Cause it's a game where you have almost all of the drawbacks of MMO's (just missing monthly fees) with few if any of the benefits?
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

The problem with the game currently (and how people can dislike it and not have fun), is in normal and hell you can breeze through it, basically using any build you care and using whatever gear drops for you with no problems.

Then you hit Hell, and you get rocked. Not even mentioning how outright retarded Inferno is, where the packs before a boss are a million times harder than any inferno boss could possibly be. Builds become absolutely cookie cutter, with absolutely no variation possible - and as for gearing, hope you enjoy farming like crazy, because you'll need potentially millions of gold to gear out a character - even more if you were unfortunate enough to level something other than a Demon Hunter or Wizard.
For some mob packs, the only possible strategy of getting past them, is to aggro them then run them off to some remote corner of the map and die, so that you can res and avoid them.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
DireApostasy
Redshirt

Post by DireApostasy »

Yeah, Hell mode is a massive ramp-up from Normal/Nightmare. My DH got through normal easily, had some trouble with NM but got through it solo eventually... and then got his ass utterly handed to him by pretty much anything he came across from the first trip into the Cathedral onwards.
Victory and Death are the twin sons of War ~ Saint Sabbat
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

That's the same as it was in D2. Inferno mode sounds absurd though.
AMT wrote:
Cause it's a game where you have almost all of the drawbacks of MMO's (just missing monthly fees) with few if any of the benefits?
That's pretty funny because D3 doesn't remind me of MMOs at all.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Stofsk wrote:That's the same as it was in D2. Inferno mode sounds absurd though.
AMT wrote:
Do I have to log into the companies servers to play? check
Do I have to agree to the same EULA that I would for WoW? check
Can I be banned from playing it because someone hacked my account and did bad things with it and I can't prove otherwise? check
Can people use the same tactics they do in MMORPGs to steal my data? check
Can my game be unplayable because servers owned by Blizzard are full or overwhelmed despite my PC being more than able to handle it, on a single player game? check
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stofsk wrote: That's pretty funny because D3 doesn't remind me of MMOs at all.
At their heart, MMOs are all about grinding for better gear. Why do you do raid? To experience the content? Once. Then you do it again every week because the boss drops trousers with bigger numbers than your trousers.

And that's what Diablo has always been about. Beating up monsters to get bigger numbers, first through levels and then through gear.

So it's actually more like MMOs remind you of Diablo, but with less of an open acknowledgement that they're about getting your numbers bigger.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Stofsk wrote:That's the same as it was in D2. Inferno mode sounds absurd though.
AMT wrote:
Inferno mode is absurd, Blizzard promised it would be hard - but instead of making it hard, they just introduced absurd packs. When you face something like fast molten chain or shielding vortex waller or whatever sick combination they come up with, your only option to get past them is to trap them in a different part of the dungeon.
The bosses on the other hand are piss easy - just more damage and hp, they don't do anything new.

The game reminds me somewhat of an MMO, mostly the grind for gear, so you can get better gear, so you can get more gold to buy better gear so that you can beat the game.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll