Diablo 3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

OneEyedTeddyMcGrew
Youngling

Diablo 3

Post by OneEyedTeddyMcGrew »

The game went live at midnight, so I thought I may as well jump in and start the thread before anybody else does. :D

As of 24 hours ago it had recieved the highest amount of pre-orders on Amazon. I was tempted to get it right now, Diablo 2 was a staple of my misspent teenage years and I've lost count of the time I spent on LAN games and the like, but Amazon are selling it at £45 at the moment. That's...too much for a skint student like myself. I've waited 5+ years for it, I can wait a month or so until the price comes down.
"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Gandalf »

We've got our ones installed and waiting to go live.

So... the waiting game is silly and pointless. Why the wait? I can't work out a reason that isn't "butthurt morons".
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
OneEyedTeddyMcGrew
Youngling

Gandalf wrote:We've got our ones installed and waiting to go live.

So... the waiting game is silly and pointless. Why the wait? I can't work out a reason that isn't "butthurt morons".
If that's referring to me directly, read my original post again. I'm not a position to spend £45 at the moment. Nothing to do with the content of the game itself. If I had the money I'd be waiting for it to go live right now myself.

If it was just a general comment, then apologies.
"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think he means why he has to wait for his already installed version to receive the magical make it work juice from the internet. He suggests 'because saddos with boxes would nag'. :V
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

OneEyedTeddyMcGrew wrote:If that's referring to me directly, read my original post again. I'm not a position to spend £45 at the moment. Nothing to do with the content of the game itself. If I had the money I'd be waiting for it to go live right now myself.

If it was just a general comment, then apologies.
No. The game servers go live around the world at the same time, which is the moment brick and mortar stores open in the US. By virtue of Australia's superior calendrical alignment, I was able to pick up my copy a few hours ago.

Why do I have to wait to run around punching demons?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
OneEyedTeddyMcGrew
Youngling

Oh, right. Nevermind then. Like I said, apologies.

Damn I need some sleep...
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I bought the game but it hasn't been shipped out to me yet. I'll probably have to wait a week. So... lol at Gandz, Mister Impatient :P :lol:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Stofsk wrote:So... lol at Gandz, Mister Impatient :P :lol:
I turned up early and got a free action figure.

DOUBLE LOLZ ON YOU.

- George Carlin
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm waiting because of time and money. Only will play it once in all likelihood, so will wait for the inevitable expansion before playing so I can get the full experience.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Gandalf wrote:
Stofsk wrote:So... lol at Gandz, Mister Impatient :P :lol:
I turned up early and got a free action figure.

DOUBLE LOLZ ON YOU.
Heh. I remember getting Diablo 2 when it was first released in 1999. I got an action figure too. :)
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Ah crap, error 37...
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

The official forums are a sight to see right now. :P

Got my copy as part of the World of Warcraft annual pass deal, figured I'd jump in with a friend and check it out.....guess that will happen eventually.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I expect a hard copy to arrive one of these days. It's been a looooong time I bought an electronic game (what with my boardgame addiction hobby), but I made an exception for Diablo 3 for nostalgia reasons (I've wasted hours enjoyed playing Diablo 2 for a long time).

Hopefully it's somewhat playable on my laptop because it looks like my PC broke down from neglection.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Picking up a copy for the wife this afternoon. She actually likes hard copies, it honestly doesn't matter to me, I need to buy printer paper anyway.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Getting a copy later today, granted having to have a persistent internet connection sucks as I will be moving and without internet for 2 weeks or more.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

I love how they still haven't learnt from the launch of 3 expansions of WoW and SC2 - login servers are all over the place, especially grateful for this as they have every battle.net login going through the same servers.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

They did learn: they learned it didn't matter. People wouldn't stop buying because of it.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Not buying it. May the idea of single player/coop games requiring persistent net connectivity die a fiery death.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've been reading some reports of getting lag in SP games. I want to believe these are incorrect as surely Blizzard wouldn't have been that incompetent with the way they implemented the netcode.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'd be pretty wary of believing anything that is clearly nerd rage motivated. My understanding of the setup is that in SP it should just be authenticating, and even if you're in an empty MP game the host shouldn't see lag anyway.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I agree that designing games in such a way is only surefire technical solution to piracy. Still it is not pleasant for the players. They may deter pirates but also make the game impossible to play for others like me who do not have good internet connection at home all the time. I am not buying D3 or similar games because I hate the producers, but simply because I am unable to play them. I played a lot of Diablo back in the day and if D3 is even half as good I am pretty sure I will be missing a lot. :(
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If it works (ie if people feel they're stopping more pirates than losing conscientious objectors) it'll keep happening. That doesnt stop the implementation being stupid like all those Ubisoft games they had to patch it out of.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Stark wrote:I'd be pretty wary of believing anything that is clearly nerd rage motivated. My understanding of the setup is that in SP it should just be authenticating, and even if you're in an empty MP game the host shouldn't see lag anyway.
The authentication based security does not work very well. For instance that was implemented in Assasins Creed 2 and it was cracked even before the games officially appeared for sale in most part of the world. As Starglider mentioned here requiring some vital part of gameplay to be run on the server is the way ensure pirates can not easily crack the executable.