Diablo III Finally

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

What class are you gonna play as?

Poll ended at 2012-05-15 10:13pm

Barbarian
9%
Demon Hunter
9%
Monk
2%
Witch Doctor
7%
Wizard
19%
What the hell is Diablo III
54%

Total votes: 57

MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Diablo III Finally

Post by MrDakka »

Today Blizzard finally gave us the release date (5/15/12) for Diablo III, after teasing us with its announcement at the end of last year. Anybody planning on pre ordering?
Needs moar dakka
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Diablo III Finally

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

I'll give the monk a try just because I love the idea of kicking the shit of a demon hand to hand...
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I'll wait to hear what the general opinion of things are first before ordering. I'm likely to stick with Demon Hunter, though. I played that for the demo and I liked it.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I just want to thank all the PC friends out there for beta testing the game for me. :)

I'm curious to see how the classes fall out, since the skill system should make the choices more interesting and hopefuy less 'good build bs 100000shit builds'.
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

Saw the witch doctor in a teaser from the developers. Looked awesome. I used to play druid in D2 but I've gotta try the doctor now.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Of the five classes, the monk and wizard look the most interesting.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

My preferred class in DII was the necromancer. I'm rather peeved it hasn't returned, though I may take a look at the wizard or witch doctor.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm looking at wizard, or failing that, barbarian.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Probably Monk or Witch Doctor for me.

Monk just seems fun. Witch Doctor seems good for multi.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Okay, feel free to mock me, but I never played Diablo and didn't get to play the beta. How similar is Diablo III going to be to a game such as Titan Quest which at the time I understood to be much like diablo in it's play style?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I didn't play D3 beta either but it's in the same 'genre'. If anything, TQ is more to D3 than D3 is to it's predecessors, which didn't have a respec function.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Panzersharkcat wrote:My preferred class in DII was the necromancer. I'm rather peeved it hasn't returned, though I may take a look at the wizard or witch doctor.
I completely agree with this.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

55% "What the hell is Diablo III?"

But the Wizard was undettered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUw2eAUQrM8

I plan on being the Wizard.

But the second option's probably going to be the Monk. Then the Demon Hunter, then the Conan the Barbarian clone. Then the others.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Zac Naloen wrote:Okay, feel free to mock me, but I never played Diablo and didn't get to play the beta. How similar is Diablo III going to be to a game such as Titan Quest which at the time I understood to be much like diablo in it's play style?
TQ is a refinement of the "third person looter" genre from D2, just like D3 is. As far as the mechanics of playing the game, if you were comfortable with the control scheme of TQ, you should be comfortable with D3 (assumption; I'm not a beta tester). The biggest differences are that D3 allows free (from a resource standpoint) respec, and all customization comes from gear. A naked Level N <Class> will be identical to any other naked Level N <Class>.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

I played Monk a fair bit in the beta, so I may roll that once it goes live. Already got it brought (Annual Pass with WoW, gives it for free) and pre-loaded it last night.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I have played D1 & 2 quite extensively but even I had to answer what the hell is diablo 3... I have seen it one the shelves of game stores for pre-order but have had little interest or seen little advertising to really find out what its about.

Plus... didnt D2 end with the world effectively getting nuked by Tyriel ?

That said, I would imagine the compulsory cow level is in order but the lack of Necromancers leaves me uninterested. I loved summoning armies of skeletons and the like even if they were completely shit compared to EVERYTHING else.

I have fond memories of being stuck in a narrow chokepoint in the cow level as my minions clash with the cows. I expect the Wizard would be my next class if I get around to play DIII.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yes. And Mount Arreat is now the Arreat Crater. Also, I think at some point, the Barbarian was supposed to be the same guy from Diablo II. I expect something similar to what happened with Blood Raven and the Summoner, implied to be the Rogue and Sorcerer from the first game, to happen to all of the others beside the Barbarian if the whole Barbarian is the same guy bit still holds.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

PREDATOR490 wrote: That said, I would imagine the compulsory cow level is in order but the lack of Necromancers leaves me uninterested. I loved summoning armies of skeletons and the like even if they were completely shit compared to EVERYTHING else.

I have fond memories of being stuck in a narrow chokepoint in the cow level as my minions clash with the cows. I expect the Wizard would be my next class if I get around to play DIII.
You're not the only one. I take it you played as a summonmancer like me? Maybe with a bit of exploding goodness?

I always thought using corpse explosion on the bodies of my fallen enemies to kill even more enemies was just one long recursive chain of awesomeness. Plus, I can't even count the number of times corpse explosion saved my necro's ass on Hell.

That said, check out the witch doctor; looks like he's gonna be the new necro. A lot of different summons with a variety of effects you can choose, especially that exploding goodness.

This is build for high level witch doctor that I made in about a minute that revolves around stuff exploding. Don't know how well it would work, but it should lead to some fond memories :D
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/w ... ZWa!Ya.cYa
Needs moar dakka
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Talking with friends, Wizard and Monk are called so I'll go with Barbarian first, then wizard/monk "alts".

Unless Demon Hunter looks more interesting than I remember; I haven't looked at it in a while.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

MrDakka wrote: You're not the only one. I take it you played as a summonmancer like me? Maybe with a bit of exploding goodness?

I always thought using corpse explosion on the bodies of my fallen enemies to kill even more enemies was just one long recursive chain of awesomeness. Plus, I can't even count the number of times corpse explosion saved my necro's ass on Hell.

That said, check out the witch doctor; looks like he's gonna be the new necro. A lot of different summons with a variety of effects you can choose, especially that exploding goodness.

This is build for high level witch doctor that I made in about a minute that revolves around stuff exploding. Don't know how well it would work, but it should lead to some fond memories :D
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/w ... ZWa!Ya.cYa
Yeah, I love being a skelemancer. I hated paladins, though. Always stealing the corpses I needed for skeletons and corpse explodes.
Sriad wrote:Talking with friends, Wizard and Monk are called so I'll go with Barbarian first, then wizard/monk "alts".

Unless Demon Hunter looks more interesting than I remember; I haven't looked at it in a while.
Demon Hunter was pretty damn cool, from what I remember of the demo. Dual-wielding crossbows.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

No D3 for me, not interested in it.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Barbarian if he can do whirlwind and because I have no imagination.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Trying to pre order this and the only places left that have the collector's edition available that I could see right now are best buy and fry's. Which of these two do you think I should go to?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Argosh wrote:No D3 for me, not interested in it.
Same here, I am playing the beta of 'Path of Exile' and I love it. I've only been at it for three days but it feels like what D3 should've been in terms of atmosphere and artistic style. Its skill and item format is pretty nifty too in how one would try to level up.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Soontir C'boath wrote:I am playing the beta of 'Path of Exile' and I love it. I've only been at it for three days but it feels like what D3 should've been in terms of atmosphere and artistic style. Its skill and item format is pretty nifty too in how one would try to level up.
I tried out the beta when they opened it up for a weekend a while back. I think the passive skill system and "materia" system as everyone calls it (I am not a fan of FF, so I can't comment on the similarity) are nifty, but the economy is annoying. Yeah yeah, it adds depth by making you think about whether you want to trade that identify scroll or use it, but I never found a single whetstone, nor ever saw one for sale. Considering I had multiple Orbs of Whatchamacallit, something as mundane as a whetstone should be dirt common.

And, unless I missed something, are you really going to make me play Inventory Tetris when I sell stuff too?