SimCity [don't-call-it-5] in the works

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: SimCity [don't-call-it-5] in the works

Post by MKSheppard »

I'm worried about scalability. SC4 ran decently and fast enough in small cities of up to maybe 5 thousand; but if you got up to huge metropolises of liek 40k, it ran like a pig, even on my Q6600.

A lot of this extra detail seems redunant and just fatty nerdism that will add no real level of detail, while massively increasing computational requirements.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:A lot of this extra detail seems redunant and just fatty nerdism that will add no real level of detail, while massively increasing computational requirements.
I think the idea is to generalize all aspects of the simulation to get emergent gameplay.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

A lot of SC4's performance issues came from the dogshit way people looked for jobs which could easily get them stuck in an infinite loop, crashing both your economy and the computer.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

It sounds like they have finally abandoned the magic circle of service that a building delivers going instead with a real journeys. If that’s true this might actually be a good game.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

phongn wrote:I think the idea is to generalize all aspects of the simulation to get emergent gameplay.
The example they gave in the PC Gamer article in which a traffic jam keeps the coal supply truck from getting to the power plant, causing it's supply to deplete, and then go dark; sounds cool on paper; but dumb in reality. I mean one modern coal plant being proposed in Georgia will keep a 60-90 day supply of coal on hand for eventualities such as this.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:The example they gave in the PC Gamer article in which a traffic jam keeps the coal supply truck from getting to the power plant, causing it's supply to deplete, and then go dark; sounds cool on paper; but dumb in reality. I mean one modern coal plant being proposed in Georgia will keep a 60-90 day supply of coal on hand for eventualities such as this.
Production buildings do have input buffers in SC5, I think, but it's just a simulation abstraction. Besides, we all know the true answer is the mighty power of THE ATOM.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Can't wait for the specs to come out. Hope its able to run on XP.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

MKSheppard wrote:The example they gave in the PC Gamer article in which a traffic jam keeps the coal supply truck from getting to the power plant, causing it's supply to deplete, and then go dark; sounds cool on paper; but dumb in reality. I mean one modern coal plant being proposed in Georgia will keep a 60-90 day supply of coal on hand for eventualities such as this.
Jesus Christ it's a video game.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I doubt that a single delayed coal delivery will shut down the plant, they most likely said it like that for illustration.
Now if you constantly have traffic jams and accidents, then of course the coal plant would eventually run dry - as would a real-life one if it doesn't get new coal for a prolonged amount of time.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ford Prefect wrote:Jesus Christ it's a video game.
Shep's saying that it'd suck as a game if your power plants constantly need fuel and would shut down at the slightest hint of bad traffic.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Feed the fucker by train. Image
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Jesus Christ it's a video game.
I dare you to go to the Dwarf Fortress forums and say that.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Rabid wrote:Feed the fucker by train. Image
Cue mile-long coal train that blocks every at-grade crossing and enrages your sims? :P
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

This is SimCity, mang. :)

EDIT: Pointing out that "emergent" gameplay can suck dick if it substitutes for rationality/plausibility.

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

phongn wrote:Cue mile-long coal train that blocks every at-grade crossing and enrages your sims? :P
It's simple : we kill the batman we build road-bridges over the rail-tracks.

Man I already want to try to build a "modular grid city" ala Le Corbusier, just for shit'n'giggle and to see what the game-engine can make of it. Image
MKSheppard wrote:
This is SimCity, mang. :)
A video-game ? Sim-City ?...
[beat]
THIS. IS. *shot in the face*

"Just in time..."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

One thing I hated with SC3 or was it SC4, was how they overpowered "renewables"; and made evil fossil/nuclear very low in power density.

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

It must be SC3000. In SC4 I found that the coal plant was the most cost-effective way to produce power for all of the game's length, as long as you didn't mind about the pollution - and even then, isolating your power stations in a dense forest took care of most of it. Fusion cost too much unless you have to power a 250-500,000 sims/industrial jobs metropolis, and nukes are, well... fine, as long as you have a good fire department nearby - they still cost an arm, though.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

If you were going to game the system, it would make way more sense to just build all your power plants and factories in a separate city and sell the electricity to your main cities and include a road connection. Then you get all the jobs and electricity but the pollution never leaves the shit-town's square.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

That's what I did most of the time. And in this case Coal-plant were far more justified : I seem to remember that for an industrial city (no inhabitants) of medium size, totally covered in industry, I never needed more than... eight (?) coal plants, something like that. That isn't much, all things considered
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The problem is, they actually put in real world units of measurement for SC4.

The Prima guide for SC4 gives the size of each tile end as being 16 meters; so each tile is about 256m2; and they use Megawatt/hours as a measurement of power in the game.

SC4 Nuclear/Solar
Solar; 5,000 MWh/month, 6 x 6 tiles = 9,216 m2; or 0.54 MWh/month per square meter.
Nuclear; 16,000 MWh/month, 4 x 4 tiles = 4,096 m2; or 3.9 MWh/month per square meter.
Ratio: Nuclear is 7.2~ times more efficient in area than solar.

Real World Nuclear/Solar
Calvert Cliffs Nuclear: 1.2 million MWh/month, 45,900m2; or 26.14 MWh/month per square meter.
Nevada Solar One; 10,833 MWh/month; 1,222,500m2; or 0.008 MWh/month per square meter.
Ratio: Nuclear is 2,950~ times more efficient in area than solar.

Strangely, Wind Power in SC4 is crudely on the mark -- in game, they have a single 36m rotor diameter wind turbine generating 200 MWh/month; whereas in real life, a 70m rotor diameter wind turbine can generate 365 MWh/month. It's a bit off, but it's in the ballpark, rather than being whole orders of magnitude different, as in the case of Solar.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Big deal.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ford Prefect wrote:Big deal.
Right, so you don't see something wrong with a SC4 solar power plant only 96 x 96m generating 5,000 MW/h month; when it takes in the real world, a solar plant 1,630 x 750m to generate 10,833 MW/h month?

This huge disparity makes solar unrealistically cost effective and unrealistically practical as an on-map power generation plant in SC4; when in reality, you'd have to found a small off-map city, and then fill up the entire valley with solar collectors to feed your 'clean' metropolis.

It's up there with the hydropower hack/cheat in SC2000: make hill, plop water down on side of hill, then plop dam onto waterfall = NEVER REPLACE POWER PLANT AGAIN.

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

phongn wrote:
Rabid wrote:Feed the fucker by train. Image
Cue mile-long coal train that blocks every at-grade crossing and enrages your sims? :P
I lived in an actual city that did that with corn/soy trains. We'd have 3 or 4 mile long trains sit at crossings for 20 minutes at a time to connect more cars to the ends or just by going at a relatively crawl (10-20mph) and you'd either have to run around them (by driving a mile or three out of your way to beat them at a crossing) or turn off the engine so you didn't waste gas while you waited.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

dammit, now I've got to go play SC4 again. it seems every time news of a sequel come out it's makes me want to play any of that series i have, was the same with halo, tropico, watching let's plays of ME3 has me wanting to try a biotic playthrough of ME2.

p.s. as to the post above, same with the lumber mill near me, anything over 3 engines and it's better to find another crossing unless it's really moving.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

MKSheppard wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Big deal.
Right, so you don't see something wrong with a SC4 solar power plant only 96 x 96m generating 5,000 MW/h month; when it takes in the real world, a solar plant 1,630 x 750m to generate 10,833 MW/h month?

This huge disparity makes solar unrealistically cost effective and unrealistically practical as an on-map power generation plant in SC4; when in reality, you'd have to found a small off-map city, and then fill up the entire valley with solar collectors to feed your 'clean' metropolis.

It's up there with the hydropower hack/cheat in SC2000: make hill, plop water down on side of hill, then plop dam onto waterfall = NEVER REPLACE POWER PLANT AGAIN.
Don't forget that every nuclear plant in the game seems to be run by Homer Simpson and will melt down dramatically at some point during its lifetime. It's only a matter of when.

Yeah, all the SC games are full of enviro-nut grottiness. This is fairly well-known.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin