Why did they come to Earth? They can't tolerate our atmosphere (this is true, and aliens die outside of alien containment).
I think I remember UFO Defense basically saying that without alien containment, they can't safely keep the aliens alive, so they kill them. While many aliens could just be crammed into a jail cell, the fact is alien containment is a jail cell.
Anyways, I'm late to the party because I was scared this game was going to be terrible, so I didn't feel like blowing full price on it. I instead picked it up on sale. At $33, I feel the game was a decent deal. I also have not read all 15 pages of this thread, only the first few and the last few, so I may be treading over known ground. There's more than a few issues with the game. With how little they spent on developing the plot, you'd think the game would be more complete in other areas and bug free. I've only just beaten it on Normal difficulty, but I find the game lacking. Also hilarious, I just beat it and the game errored out during the credits. Sometimes alien doorways get bugged out not letting units pass through them.
1. There's just not enough contacts throughout the game. Almost entire months can go buy, with full sat coverage, seeing nothing but one scout UFO. This is an invasion?
2. Research is slowed not by lack of scientists, but from the Weapon Fragments. Basically, the game is penalizing you for taking aliens alive.
3. On that note: why do you need weapon fragments to study alien weapons when you have dozens in stock?
4. You can't sell useless weapons, only waiting for some stupid council request to dump them off.
5. A lot of technology and research comes way to late to be of any real use.
6. The game is idiotically easy on normal mode. This wouldn't be a big deal except they have a bullshit easy mode already.
7. When you build the "Hyperdrive Motivator" and detect the big ass ship, but can't shoot it down because you don't have Firestorms, it counts against your Council Grade. You kidding me?
As for the ground combat, I like the 2 moves or 1 move plus action (barring perks) system. I do not however like the over reliance on the cover mechanic. Character customization is lacking, especially when you get "your team" together only to need role switching or also finding out none of them have "the gift." I found they really could have just updated the original game to 2006 graphics like they did, keep the movement system and made a damn good game. There seems to be way to many changes into areas that didn't really need it and cutting out a lot of content that made the original game great for it's time.
Also, mind control is fucking stupid. Since you have no direct aim power, you either have to wait out the mind control and hope he doesn't get a few good shots off, or use AOEs to down him. Why the fuck doesn't a mind controlled alien end the mission like in the first game? And why the fuck do Ethereals have 20 HP? There are many other little things they could have added and chose not to. I find it's a bunch of these little things that add up to make a decent game, rather than a great one. Oh well, time for impossible mode.