Please for the love of God tell me this is a joke (Asscree3)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: Please for the love of God tell me this is a joke (Asscr

Post by Losonti Tokash »

LaCroix wrote:Seriously. NO! I was so hoping for french revolution or something, and now this...
It wouldn't be particularly unreasonable to assume it will be involved either in this game or the next, seeing as there isn't much of a time jump between the two.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Losonti Tokash wrote:They've stated they're not using Franklin for the purposes of convenient inventor and have other plans instead. Washington also had a piece of eden so it's not guaranteed he's a good guy.
On the other hand, it seems to have been implied that it's been a back-and-forth between the Assassins and Templars over control of the POE, one is implied to have been used in the English Restoration (of Charles II over Oliver Cromwell's Commonwealth), and of course:Spoiler
if The Lost Archive (ACR DLC) didn't contradict AC1 Lucy's claim that Altaïr's "Apple" POE from AC1 was lost in the Denver International Airport incident, then eventually someone finally managed to break into the vault under Masyaf and grab the AC1 Apple.
It was interesting to see Ahmet, but he quickly devolved into cartoon villainy in a way that I actually found worse from a story perspective than the Borgia regime's... as said, "I am going to stand here and explain things!"

Amusingly, my reaction to the ACR Abstergo file where the modern Templars threw the Borgia regime under the bus as a "Dark Age for the Order" was to wonder if they were really throwing them under the bus for how badly the Assassins hurt them during this time.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I think the climax will be Yorktown. The climax of Brotherhood was Viana, which isn't even in Italy if I recall correctly.

I understand why the did the borgia as the big bads of Ezio's time. They wielded an obscene amount of power in that time period, and they were......well evil. I do like how in the Facebook game project legacy they make Lucrezia a tragic figure (long story short, she got impregnated by an assassin infiltrator, guy went rogue to save the kid, and when the dad was hunted down by his brethren for killing members of his order to get a life saving artifact, the kid was raised by her asshole brother, and she wasn't even able to reveal that she was his mother. She actually tells her son "I know your mommy loves you very much.") That raises the question of who the big bad of this game is. Robert de Sable was established, as was Rodrigo Borgia. Members of Ottomon royalty are among the villains in Revelations, so who is the big bad of this time. If they had set it during the war of spanish succession they could have used Louis XIV (the guy was one of the biggest elitists of all time).

Though there is a question. According to some leaks, the protagonists father is british and his mother is mowhawk indian. I'm wondering how exactly the assassins crossed the sea. At least one of the branch was from Italy, while the other branch was middle eastern. How did both get across the ocean to create Desmond.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Um, they probably crossed the Atlantic in boats, like a shitload of other people. There's also no reason to assume this person is related to Altair or Ezio and is just from a third branch.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The idea of it being difficult for a secret organization to travel to America is pretty bizarre to me. Are we imagining freighters loaded with AKs or something? Given their retarded agenda you'd expect both factions to have been in America as long as possible.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

fapfapfapMURCAfapfapfapMURCA.

I like how theres's even a mini flag in the logo now.

I'm hoping that there's more to be seen and that the promises of "no really, you're not just working for one side" are true, but that trailer. MANG. It's pretty Team America.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

....I thought they totally weren't going the "Patriot 3d" route. But man, the anachronistic use of "AMERICANS" as in "AMERICANS HAVE TO LIVE FREE OR DIE" was pretty lol.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I'm confused by the graphics in the trailer.

They aren't CG video quality, but they look better by far than the engine has been capable of so far.

So is that what the PC version is going to look like or is it just an in engine up-res'd video?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

It's probably a cheaply pre-rendered in-engine sequence done in-house or by a budget house. Though oddly enough the other games had way better facial details and expressions than this video, so I don't know if it was done with the engine.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

That trailer was pretty bad, but it was in-engine and all that fun stuff. Interestingly, the other cg trailers were apparently also done in-house but oh well.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I've just been reading on Kotaku they've built a new Anvil engine, the implication being that that is what the game will look like on PC with the best graphics cards.

Facial animations were a bit pants though.
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

*double post
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is Ubisoft - the gus who somehow managed to make sequels crappier and with less features than the preceeding titles (Silent Hunter series). I wouldn't be surprised at all if they decided to scrap character/engine development in favor of pandering to the lowest type of patriotism.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

They're also the same guys behind the massive jump in quality from AC1 to AC2 and then to ACB. They managed tonot portray Muslims as raving lunatics after 9/11 so I'll wait till there a bit more than a dumb trailer to make a judgment on how much hoorah is present.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

So according to what I read, this team has been working on this game since AC2 came out, so it's been a 2 and a halfish year development cycle. They built a completely new version of the Anvil engine that allows for a much higher number of characters on screen, reworked the combat system to encourage players to be more aggressive and not just spam counters, weather has an actual effect, like snow on the ground slows down ground movement, trapping is part of the game economy, the first part is about Connor's life among the natives, then moves on to the Revolution, but while he participates in some of the more iconic battles it's not about him winning the fight for the Americans and not all Brits are Templars or bad. It sounds like it could be pretty great, but who knows. I've enjoyed all of the games so far.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

a bit of the backstory seemed like communist propaganda/whitewashing though
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Which is a good thing; maybe now Ezio is done ruining the franchise with fanservice they can get back to their actual themes of knowledge and freedom. I mean handled well the American Revolution is a good stage for this; all they have to do is be more intelligent than HURF DURF STAMP ACT LOL and don't waste too much time with their Stargate background silliness.
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

CaptHawkeye wrote:I fail to see how setting it during the American Revolution is a bad thing?
I don't have a problem with it apart from what Vendetta said. There's little room for free-roaming through cities like there was in the other settings.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Yes now you're stuck freerunning though *gasp* Forests! How terrible! :roll:

Actually, they had an article in the new Game Informer (they may be late, but they go pretty damn in depth).

They are deliberately going with a slightly new direction with Connor (our hero). "He's much lower to the ground - more like a predator" So says creative director Alex Hutchinson. They specifically state that no animations are recycled from Ezio or Altair. But yes, you can and will still be freerunning when you're in the cities.

The game takes place between 1753 and 1783. They mention the main conflict is still "Assassins vs. Templars". The Revolution is just a part of that.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

They've always been rather hamhanded with the Assassins and Templars, so this is really no surprise. I mean for god's sake, anyone bad at all in the 20th century was just branded Templar as a universal rule.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

So were folks usually perceived as "good," like Churchill and FDR.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Thanas wrote:....I thought they totally weren't going the "Patriot 3d" route. But man, the anachronistic use of "AMERICANS" as in "AMERICANS HAVE TO LIVE FREE OR DIE" was pretty lol.
Sorry, I just noticed this.

What's Anachronistic about it? The speech is a direct quote of George Washington at/before the battle of long island.
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah. But it feels like the game is trying to go towards the whole "Americans stand united" portrayal, which is pretty funny considering that the various states didn't think that way. .
------------
------------
My LPs
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

While the non-American developers have continually stated that it's not a Britain vs America storyline and they're going back to the villain motivations of the first game rather than the cartoon villains of Ezio's series. One recently criticized the deification of American's founders and want to portray them as human beings.

The real thing to take away is that game marketing is totally full of shit, though, so we'll really only know when it's out.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Thanas wrote:Yeah. But it feels like the game is trying to go towards the whole "Americans stand united" portrayal, which is pretty funny considering that the various states didn't think that way. .
I don't think there's enough going on in this trailer to make that conclusion. The only thing we really get to see is a hammy looking george washington giving an actual speech by george washington while the two armies duke it out--and also here's a guy killing some scouts in the woods.

Saying it's anachronistic and not representative of the period is kinda like saying George Washington should have toned it down a bit, given the context.

And as Los says, marketing is usually always bullshit.