Samsung Galaxy S2!!!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Samsung Galaxy S2!!!

Post by Shinova »

I just got my first smartphone and it's a Samsung Galaxy S2, and this thing is INSANE. So much hardware packed into such a thin space, with a huge-ass screen (4.52 inch super amoled plus). And I never knew there was so much random shit you could do on a smartphone it's crazy.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2!!!

Post by Stark »

Is this another one of those 'wow I was behind the times' threads?

Does anyone have or use an HTC Velocity? I'm not too enamoured of android phones thus far, but it looks technically pretty nice. Phongn has talked about the android experience of inconsistent UI and stuff, but I'm more interested if it's a 'good android phone' rather than a 'good phone' if you know what I mean.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

I've actually been eyeballing the Samsung Note phone that should be coming out (if not out already). It looks pretty spiffy in so far.

I'm not familiar with HTC's offerings in in the android department, I have a couple of friends who have HTC android Phones, and they seem to like the HTCSense interface that is put on top of the default Android stuff.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Unless something better is available by the time my upgrade comes up in April, I'll probably get the Galaxy Nexus. I was looking forward to the Droid 4, but the nice physical keyboard is offset by the shitty PenTile matrix screen (the same one as the Droid X2, I think) and the fact it launched with Gingerbread, and it'll probably be months before it gets updated to ICS.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I don't know if it's all of their phones but HTC products tend to have hardware problems, like the wifi death grip and the touchscreen becoming unresponsive after a week of use.

I was like oooooh Galaxy Nexus, but then saw complaints about battery life, and of course how pricey it is now. You can probably find custom roms of ICS for many other phones in time way before the official companies do their updates.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Bear in mind depending on where you got the phone installing unofficial ROMs may void the warrenty. It may be worthwhile to wait.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Can't you compile ICS using the Android SDK?
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Yes, you can. However, while Android itself is open-source, drivers for the various device components usually aren't. This is why, for example, the camera and microphone don't work in ICS on the HP Touchpad.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I remember getting my first (and current smartphone), the Motorola Atrix.

It started hitting me when I was going out for wings with my brother and his room mates and everyone kept playing with their smartphones and all the fancy shit they were doing with them. I was thinking "I'm mr geeky here and I don't have one? WTF?".

I'm still adding new apps and functions to it that are ridiculously useful and practical. After using it for awhile, I sold my camera, iPod and GPS, as they were all obsolete in my eyes.

Couldn't imagine going back and positively cannot wait till my next phone once I eyeball an excellent upgrade. 8)
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah my Atrix does cool shit like get nudie pics, text and make phone calls. Most importantly though... fingerprint security. Oh yeah.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

fajner1 wrote:Can't you compile ICS using the Android SDK?
No, the Android SDK is for developing apps.

Building the entire Android OS from source requires a complex toolchain and experience with embedded electronics.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

A question about Ice Cream Sandwich...
Why are people on phone forums FLIPPING THE FUCK OUT because they can't get this yet?

I mean, is it going to revolutionize their Android experience?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Havok wrote:A question about Ice Cream Sandwich...
Why are people on phone forums FLIPPING THE FUCK OUT because they can't get this yet?

Well it's got some interesting features that were not found in previous versions beyond the usual more prettier interface.

- NFC support. NFC could be very big in coming years because it lets you use your phone as a smart card - buy stuff,tickets,identify yourself etc.

- WiFi Direct. Hookup your phone to another phone or computer or another device even when you don't have a router. Android normally had horrible support for adhoc wifi networks so this should come as a relief. Personally I would benefit being able to share files between my phone and laptop which does not have bluetooth.

- Face unlock. I am not personally a fan of biometrics but I guess some people will love it even if just for the "cool" factor.

- Barometer. New Android phones are coming with a barometer sensor. Supposedly this will let phones measure altitude and get you faster GPS locks.

In general though there are not any ICS exclusive apps or services of note so far. So one might not miss much by waiting to upgrade.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stark wrote:Does anyone have or use an HTC Velocity? I'm not too enamoured of android phones thus far, but it looks technically pretty nice. Phongn has talked about the android experience of inconsistent UI and stuff, but I'm more interested if it's a 'good android phone' rather than a 'good phone' if you know what I mean.
Be aware that current-generation LTE phones have poor battery life. Other than that, it looks pretty much like every other HTC Android phone so it should be pretty decent.
Havok wrote:A question about Ice Cream Sandwich...

It lays the groundwork for Android's UI/UX not sucking.

It's also a major system update and iOS has ensured that people expect major updates in a timely fashion for a reasonable period of time on a new phone. For a variety of reasons, this has not happened on Android (due to a toxic combination of carriers, phone manufacturers and Google).