Mass Effect 3 Demo

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by Aaron MkII »

Same. I didn't need more magic men.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Omeganian wrote:I think it was Sovereign who did.
Nope, it's Vigil, when he's describing the Reapers descending on Prothean worlds.
It was both. I can't remember what Vigil said, but Sovereign said this line: 'We are legion. The time of our return is coming. Our numbers will darken the sky of every world.'

I think Vigil's line is the same as you said, that their numbers were vast they blotted out the sun. But Sov was definitely saying the same thing in his smack talk. :)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I guess they were both senile old computers, so ... :v
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Havok wrote:
Stark wrote:But in the game of anyone not cataclysmically retarded Ashley is dead.

So who cares?
Uh...I actually sacrificed Kaiden. :oops:
So did I, he was massively boring and useless. Also whiny.
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Omeganian wrote:I think it was Sovereign who did.
Nope, it's Vigil, when he's describing the Reapers descending on Prothean worlds.
Well, I just loaded both points. Found Sovereign saying that, but not Vigil.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

On my first play through, I let Kaiden bite it, but my 'official' play through, I sacrificed Ashley.

As for the demo, I do like it, I just had to get myself into the Mass Effect control scheme first. Whatever city you start off, quite a few buildings are being red beamed to death, so it's no picnic. The pathos at the end of the first level, with the false hope being crushed as the Reaper takes out the evacuees, specifically the one you talked to, shows that the Reapers are playing for keeps, and I think it's more effective having one person you talked to be killed than have a bunch of random people eat it. You're more invested in what happens to them. At least, I was.

The wave of reaper things were boring after a while. Cereberus was much more of a challenge, but we're talking the difference between a endless horde and well armed, well trained, well equipped troops. Also, a difference between a tutorial and a mid game level.

When it comes out next month, I'm getting it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stark wrote:How can you turn your back on that hair, Hav? How???
I am fattynerds now?
No, Ashley just fit my style of play better. Soldier and aggressive.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Havok wrote:OK, I know this is strange for some of you, but women change hair styles all the time. Sometimes for NO REASON. The fact that this is even a point of contention is absolutely fucking ridiculous. And also, OMG they might have actually moved a character along instead of making her the exact same as she was a decade ago. SHOCKING! And since when does longer hair = dolled up? Do you ever leave your mom's basement?
The problem is that I don't believe ME writers actually did this to signify a change in her character due to her new status, responsibilities of command, dealing with loss of friends etc, but as a way to make her hotter for the fanboys. I'd like to be proven wrong, though I guess I won't find out by myself since I made the only logical decision and sacrificed her for the mission.

That's consistent with them making all other female NPCs swoon over Shepples (middle option = sex!).

Although yeah, I'll admit making this judgement over two lines she gets in the demo is kinda dumb, but I guess my expectations are just that low at this point. Or I am secretly in love with her and am jealous that other guys might find her attractive now.
Havok wrote: You're an IDIOT. The fact that they got caught jerking off on the couch has been an over ridding story arc of the whole game series. NO ONE BELIEVES SHEPPARD. And it isn't just the Human Alliance. EVEN WHEN A REAPER RAPED THE CITADEL, the Council still didn't believe Sheppard.
And your right, how stupid of the Alliance to turn to the only person with intelligence on an enemy when that enemy attacks. What a bunch of idiots.
Look, I know this was a point in the first game, but with every passing year and another threat to the galaxy extinguished by Shepard it becomes less and less believable!

Okay, I get it - people are in denial. First they verbal reports from Shepples, but don't want to believe the galaxy is going to end, okay. I get it.

Then a Reaper attacks the Citadel. They convince themselves it's just a Geth superweapon. Okay. This is slightly stupid, but people are that stupid sometimes. Of course, they take no measures to ensure the Geth do not have more superweapons like that. Because they totally know that and can be sure they won't just hit Earth with Nazara Mk.II, right?

Even if Sovvie WAS just a Geth superweapon, it's a changed strategic reality they utterly fail to respond to in any way.

Then Shep saves the galaxy AGAIN from people who effortlessly abducted entire colonies (which the rabidly expansionist Alliance didn't care about because LOL bureaucracy), and STILL the ONLY person in the Alliance military who believes him is the one who always did. Nobody in the entire structure of Alliance high command even gives him the benefit of the doubt, and his reports are dismissed entirely.
Havok wrote:I mean, it's like you have been spoiled by Star Trek for 50 years. "Hey you met these guys, how do we defeat them?" "Oh well you just technobabble this, and reverse the polarity on this thingamajig and they will be defeated". You finally get something realistic... "What do you mean what do we do? I've been trying to warn you D-bags for 10 years about this. Now we just hope we don't get wiped out. Idiots." and OMG bad writing!! :lol:
What, they were expecting Shep to give them some magical WORDS OF WISDOM that he didn't put in his reports (which they all read?). I guess "Yeah colonies going dark = we're under attack" and "We fight!" is something military officers just can't figure out on their own.

There is not a SINGLE COMPETENT PERSON in the entire Alliance military. That's the problem right there: it's as if Shep's exploits from the last two games are totally meaningless, because he's the only smart person in the galaxy.
Havok wrote: THE FIRST TWO GAMES "FORESHADOWED" WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. Are you really this stupid? My gawd. :lol: Also, go look up foreshadow please... foreshadow does not mean presented with event RIGHT NOW. :roll: "WAAAAAA I WANT THE DEMO OF THE INVASION TO FORESHADOW THE INVASION THAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!!!!" :lol: :lol:
The first two games foreshadowed death and misery and suffering, we got some mild vandalism.
Havok wrote:I already covered this. Sorry you don't like it, but for whatever reason, logical or not, it's how they act.
You would have a point, if characters didn't constantly say "Everyone's dying!" and "Every second we stay here, thousands more people die!" etc. etc.

And then they stand around in the open chatting as if there was no threat at all. So which is it?
Havok wrote:Well, it's a game that continues the same story as before... maybe if you you crank it up to 11, it may change.
I mean, what is it that you want, first from this demo, then from the game? I mean, you want something original now that you are in the 45th chapter of a book with 55 chapters?
Perhaps something more than endless repetition of chapters 1-10?
FaxModem1 wrote: As for the demo, I do like it, I just had to get myself into the Mass Effect control scheme first. Whatever city you start off, quite a few buildings are being red beamed to death, so it's no picnic. The pathos at the end of the first level, with the false hope being crushed as the Reaper takes out the evacuees, specifically the one you talked to, shows that the Reapers are playing for keeps, and I think it's more effective having one person you talked to be killed than have a bunch of random people eat it. You're more invested in what happens to them. At least, I was.
It would've been better if it wasn't happening in front of a warship full of guns which could've effortlessly blown up that small walker but didn't because uh drama.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

PeZook wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote: As for the demo, I do like it, I just had to get myself into the Mass Effect control scheme first. Whatever city you start off, quite a few buildings are being red beamed to death, so it's no picnic. The pathos at the end of the first level, with the false hope being crushed as the Reaper takes out the evacuees, specifically the one you talked to, shows that the Reapers are playing for keeps, and I think it's more effective having one person you talked to be killed than have a bunch of random people eat it. You're more invested in what happens to them. At least, I was.
It would've been better if it wasn't happening in front of a warship full of guns which could've effortlessly blown up that small walker but didn't because uh drama.
Uh, I don't think the Normandy could have taken a Reaper by itself, considering that it took an entire Alliance fleet to kill sovereign. It could have tried to distract the reaper, but I don't know if the thing would notice the shots.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

FaxModem1 wrote: Uh, I don't think the Normandy could have taken a Reaper by itself, considering that it took an entire Alliance fleet to kill sovereign. It could have tried to distract the reaper, but I don't know if the thing would notice the shots.
It wasn't a Reaper that shot those shuttles down, it was a small four-legged walker the size of a tank.

If it was a Reaper it would've been even more retarded, since it shot at the shuttles instead of Shepard's warship :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maybe I'm misremembering the scene, but wasn't the thing that shot the shuttles as big as a house, if not bigger? I'm going to replay the game and pay more attention to it.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

If only the Normandy was equipped with state of the art hypertech turian plasma blasters that could punch through both sides of a technologically advanced dreadnaught belonging to evil space conquerors.

Oh wait.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

You mean "chunk of rock with an engine and a laser strapped on"? The one time you see it in a straight up fight, it gets blown to shit by an up-jumped frigate. The collectors' strength was surprise and secrecy, while the reapers literally can just ignore massed fire from a hostile fleet while humping the citadel tower. Or even after lying dead in space for millions of years.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Did anyone else find the aliasing in the demo absolutely awful? I thought the framerate left a bit to be desired as well. I've played the previous games on the PC but I downloaded the demo on PS3 since I have no plans to install Origin. I'm not sure how much that is factoring into how much uglier I'm finding this entry. Aliasing in ME2 was pretty bad in places but it wasn't so damn conspicuous.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Losonti Tokash wrote:You mean "chunk of rock with an engine and a laser strapped on"? The one time you see it in a straight up fight, it gets blown to shit by an up-jumped frigate. The collectors' strength was surprise and secrecy, while the reapers literally can just ignore massed fire from a hostile fleet while humping the citadel tower. Or even after lying dead in space for millions of years.
Don't we see the Collector ship basically ignoring minutes worth of bombardment from planetary defense canons designed to blow ships up? I thought the upgunning on the normandy was supposed to be representative of putting better-than-capital-ship pewpews on it specifically to wreck everyone's day, that you wouldn't see anywhere else.

I suppose we don't even know if it's the same Normandy, though.
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

It gives it better firepower for its size, not better than a dreadnought. If you don't buy the upgrade, the Normandy still blows up the collector ship with the same type of weapons you see on Horizon.

Anyway, it's the same Normandy in ME3, but it's been stripped and refitted by the navy.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Losonti Tokash wrote:It gives it better firepower for its size, not better than a dreadnought. If you don't buy the upgrade, the Normandy still blows up the collector ship with the same type of weapons you see on Horizon.

Anyway, it's the same Normandy in ME3, but it's been stripped and refitted by the navy.

Ah, okay.

How much am I missing if I haven't played Arrival?
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Shep blows up a mass relay with an asteroid, destroying a solar system and the 300,000 batarian colonists living there. It gets referenced if you import a save where you played it, but it still happened if you didn't.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, I misremembered that walker. It was pretty large, the size of a small house but still - a space warship should've been able to fuck it up. Or at least TRY.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

PeZook wrote:Yeah, I misremembered that walker. It was pretty large, the size of a small house but still - a space warship should've been able to fuck it up. Or at least TRY.
PARAGON: " There are civilians, blow it up!"
RENEGADE: " We need to get to $PLACE ASAP" :?:
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Do the 'moral choices' still boil down to being a juvenile, belligerent, racist asshat or a sane, mature adult?

(I didn't play mass effect 2, but I heard the vaunted Bioware morality was in full effect).
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Actually in ME2 it's much better. Most of the time, at least.

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The multiplayer is pretty fun, if you're a fan of the ME2/3 combat and have folks who aren't idiots to play with.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Kingmaker wrote:Do the 'moral choices' still boil down to being a juvenile, belligerent, racist asshat or a sane, mature adult?

(I didn't play mass effect 2, but I heard the vaunted Bioware morality was in full effect).
It has a bit more of you sticking your gun in peoples face, threating people with bodily harm and of course you can punch that racist reporter right the fuck out.