Mass Effect 3 Demo

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by Stark »

So what? The demo has cut up conversations too - but we're judging on what we have instead of inventing mythical maybes. And what we have is mega lame.

Amusingly just having the action take place in space would allow us to see the reapers descend while ignoring a attempts to stop them, knowin the doom they bring to earth without having to be shown. The base could even be struck sovereign style by a reaper and Anderson tells you to leave and get help as the base starts to fall from the sky alongside the debris of the defene fleet, to a world in flames.

Being better writers han Bioware is literally THAT EASY. the response is that they honestly think what they have is exciting, thrilling, compelling stuff, not that they're hiding the 'good bits'. They hid them pretty well I their other games, too!

It's sad that the frat boy writing in Me3 (especially the political and ethical content) makes Dragon Age look like Dostoevsky.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Hav, if it makes you feel any better, I do really enjoy the series. I also enjoy making fun of its sillier bits. The ME intros have always been the weakest parts, and this one in particularly seems like they just had a bunch of specific images/one-liners in mind and then just mashed them together for the intro. Unfortunately, they also missed out on some good stuff like a Reaper crashing through one of those huge builds (or even the Space Needle, since the bit you see is in Seattle-Vancouver and blowing up landmarks is always classy). They also really ought to have shown more than like 2 guys and ships fighting but oh well.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Havok wrote:Wow... I should preserve this thread in the FattynerdTM HoF

OMG ASHLEY GREW HER HAIR OUT!!! PLAYBOY WHORE!!!
My problem is that she did it for no reason whatsoever. She's the person who spent her free time in the Normandy's weapons bay getting ready for the next one ; Who worked her entire life NOT to be seen as Daddy's Girl and to prove that she could stand in the military on her own merit, who calmly accepted death for the sake of the mission, etc etc

Her ENTIRE CHARACTER is literally this.

Yet when the biggest day of reckoning comes, the final fight, humanity's live-or-die event, she gets all dolled up. For Shepples, because he's the only thing in a girl's life that matters, right?
Havok wrote:HUMANITY ISN'T OBLITERATED IN 3 MINUTES OF A DEMO!!! GAMES SUCKS!!!

You know, even the Nazis probably blew up a couple of "playgrounds" first.

I mean fuck, you guys. Can't the Reapers get, like maybe a day or a week to set up their concentration camps? They've been chillen for 50,000 years. I don't think they are in a hurry to get things done. :lol:
Look, I don't give a crap if they set up their camps a hundred years after the invasion ; But there is no drama, tension or sense of urgency AT ALL in the entire sequence, which makes it shit. People also act like drooling retards, "Oh my god shepples how do we fight them CNN just told us we are being invaded!", which doesn't endear any sympathy, since they seem literally too stupid to live. Earth essentially rolls over, like it was caught open mouthed while masturbating on the couch. They had their COLONIES SUDDENLY GO DARK and do nothing except call shepples so that he can state the obvious (We're under attack! Only I realize this!) for them to disbelieve AGAIN.
Havok wrote:You all act as if their mere presence = instant death of civilization, when over the course of the last two games that isn't their M.O. at fucking all. The first Reaper made allies and built armies, the second used others to collect humanity... what were those guys called again? Oh yeah, fucking COLLECTORS. There obviously a way they go about things and, whether you think the writing, story and reasons suck or not, they are staying consistent and working with what they have set up. They don't just randomly annihilate, they don't just nuke from orbit. They subvert and scheme because they want things to go smoothly. Again, I'm guessing they want as much human/asari/krogan etc., as they can get their hands on. They could just fling asteroids from fucking nowhere if they just wanted to destroy civilizations. It has been made painfully obvious that that is not what they want to do.
Whatever justifications you make up, the sequence is still shit because it doesn't even foreshadow what's about to happen. Reapers land, Reapers lazily walk about, Reapers kill half a dozen people. Never mind all the horrible dialogue and Shepples and Anderson just casually standing there in the open chatting about who can order who about and OMG what to do if the council doesn't wanna help? This has nothing to do with nerddom - seriously, do you see REAL PEOPLE behaving like them? Saying what they say?

I may have had expectation that were just a tad too high, but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand some BASIC quality, like a lack of total retardation, or maybe some story more original than "what we did last time, only more!"
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

This is worse than he other two shit intros. ME1 was okay but bogged down by exposition and the clunky shooting, but was ok and had some really cool images. ME2 was yet more clumsy exposition full of cameltoe for fatties, but you can argue they had to explain their Jesus silliness.

Here they obviously wanted to show something huge and cool and amazing and just fucked it up.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Ashley's also a Spectre and Lt Commander, and that's not even what she wears to combat anyway. It's an odd outfit, but there's plenty of overt misogyny in the series without getting whiny because her hair isn't in a bun anymore.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stark wrote:So what? The demo has cut up conversations too - but we're judging on what we have instead of inventing mythical maybes. And what we have is mega lame.

Amusingly just having the action take place in space would allow us to see the reapers descend while ignoring a attempts to stop them, knowin the doom they bring to earth without having to be shown. The base could even be struck sovereign style by a reaper and Anderson tells you to leave and get help as the base starts to fall from the sky alongside the debris of the defene fleet, to a world in flames.

Being better writers han Bioware is literally THAT EASY. the response is that they honestly think what they have is exciting, thrilling, compelling stuff, not that they're hiding the 'good bits'. They hid them pretty well I their other games, too!

It's sad that the frat boy writing in Me3 (especially the political and ethical content) makes Dragon Age look like Dostoevsky.
Like I said, I agree with all of that. The demo was flat out boring. And writing choices certainly could have been done differently. That said though, it does fall in line with what we have seen with the Reapers, and while they didn't show this space battle, I have no doubt that there will be others shown.

The writers for this game aren't that good and expecting something different after like you said, 2 games and 5 years, is pretty dumb. At this point you accept it's shortcomings and just enjoy it for what it is, like I do, or you RAGE with all your Fatty Might that they didn't make the changes YOU thought were so obvious...and buy and play it fucking anyway. :lol: (By YOU I don't mean you. You actually have the intestinal fortitude to not play it, like with 2)

But now I want to rant again as to why WE should start a vidjogamez company. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

But see Hav you are a perceptive man. :) I'm not upset it's crap, because it's not surprising, but I had hoped.

HOPES CRUSHED. :v At least Binary Domain seems solid (and has that shit we discussed where speaking naturally affects relationships).
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Hav, if it makes you feel any better, I do really enjoy the series. I also enjoy making fun of its sillier bits. The ME intros have always been the weakest parts, and this one in particularly seems like they just had a bunch of specific images/one-liners in mind and then just mashed them together for the intro. Unfortunately, they also missed out on some good stuff like a Reaper crashing through one of those huge builds (or even the Space Needle, since the bit you see is in Seattle-Vancouver and blowing up landmarks is always classy). They also really ought to have shown more than like 2 guys and ships fighting but oh well.
I agree, again, that the demo is lame. I also make fun of the game of the game consistently. Like I said, I'm not defending Bioware/EA, I'm just laughing at all the misplaced hope, I guess would be the thing to call it, and rage about a 10 minute demo.

And the fact that people were expecting the Reapers to swoop in all Guns of the Navarone, when it has been made so clear, that is not how they act.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Havok wrote: The writers for this game aren't that good and expecting something different after like you said, 2 games and 5 years, is pretty dumb. At this point you accept it's shortcomings and just enjoy it for what it is, like I do, or you RAGE with all your Fatty Might that they didn't make the changes YOU thought were so obvious...and buy and play it fucking anyway. :lol: (By YOU I don't mean you. You actually have the intestinal fortitude to not play it, like with 2)
Well, none of the other two intro sequences were so CONSISTENTLY terrible. IMHO what we've seen represents a massive drop in quality from just a bit above average to total shit, which is pretty grating.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Should also take into account that this is the tutorial level - it's basically Trask Ulgar explaining that you are bunk mates and how to open a door while the Endar Spire is getting shoot up.

Have there been better tutorials in gaming? - hell yes but not even the most hyper charged coke snorting tutorial will ever be as exciting as the game it self.

Is it a waste that Bioware used the invasion of Earth as a tutorial ? - probably but there will be other planetary invasions in the game so i'm fine with it.

Edit and by the way the multi player is fucking awesome - headbutting Krogans is a win.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yes, we know its easy to excuse crap, but that Bioware apparently thinks these two segments are a good way to get people excited is pretty funny.

Actually, to spare us any more excuses, does anyone know what the fuck is going on with teh magic card multiplayer progression? What's the reasoning behind making players buy fucking booster packs with random cards in it? You don't even seem to be able to sell or trade these items, so if you get a bunch of sniper rifle mods and don't want them... too bad?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

PeZook wrote:

My problem is that she did it for no reason whatsoever. She's the person who spent her free time in the Normandy's weapons bay getting ready for the next one ; Who worked her entire life NOT to be seen as Daddy's Girl and to prove that she could stand in the military on her own merit, who calmly accepted death for the sake of the mission, etc etc

Yet when the biggest day of reckoning comes, the final fight, humanity's live-or-die event, she gets all dolled up. For Shepples, because he's the only thing in a girl's life that matters, right?
OK, I know this is strange for some of you, but women change hair styles all the time. Sometimes for NO REASON. The fact that this is even a point of contention is absolutely fucking ridiculous. And also, OMG they might have actually moved a character along instead of making her the exact same as she was a decade ago. SHOCKING! And since when does longer hair = dolled up? Do you ever leave your mom's basement?
Havok wrote:HUMANITY ISN'T OBLITERATED IN 3 MINUTES OF A DEMO!!! GAMES SUCKS!!!

You know, even the Nazis probably blew up a couple of "playgrounds" first.

I mean fuck, you guys. Can't the Reapers get, like maybe a day or a week to set up their concentration camps? They've been chillen for 50,000 years. I don't think they are in a hurry to get things done. :lol:
Look, I don't give a crap if they set up their camps a hundred years after the invasion ; But there is no drama, tension or sense of urgency AT ALL in the entire sequence, which makes it shit. People also act like drooling retards, "Oh my god shepples how do we fight them CNN just told us we are being invaded!", which doesn't endear any sympathy, since they seem literally too stupid to live. Earth essentially rolls over, like it was caught open mouthed while masturbating on the couch. They had their COLONIES SUDDENLY GO DARK and do nothing except call shepples so that he can state the obvious (We're under attack! Only I realize this!) for them to disbelieve AGAIN.
You're an IDIOT. The fact that they got caught jerking off on the couch has been an over ridding story arc of the whole game series. NO ONE BELIEVES SHEPPARD. And it isn't just the Human Alliance. EVEN WHEN A REAPER RAPED THE CITADEL, the Council still didn't believe Sheppard.
And your right, how stupid of the Alliance to turn to the only person with intelligence on an enemy when that enemy attacks. What a bunch of idiots.

I mean, it's like you have been spoiled by Star Trek for 50 years. "Hey you met these guys, how do we defeat them?" "Oh well you just technobabble this, and reverse the polarity on this thingamajig and they will be defeated". You finally get something realistic... "What do you mean what do we do? I've been trying to warn you D-bags for 10 years about this. Now we just hope we don't get wiped out. Idiots." and OMG bad writing!! :lol:
Havok wrote:You all act as if their mere presence = instant death of civilization, when over the course of the last two games that isn't their M.O. at fucking all. The first Reaper made allies and built armies, the second used others to collect humanity... what were those guys called again? Oh yeah, fucking COLLECTORS. There obviously a way they go about things and, whether you think the writing, story and reasons suck or not, they are staying consistent and working with what they have set up. They don't just randomly annihilate, they don't just nuke from orbit. They subvert and scheme because they want things to go smoothly. Again, I'm guessing they want as much human/asari/krogan etc., as they can get their hands on. They could just fling asteroids from fucking nowhere if they just wanted to destroy civilizations. It has been made painfully obvious that that is not what they want to do.
Whatever justifications you make up, the sequence is still shit because it doesn't even foreshadow what's about to happen.
THE FIRST TWO GAMES "FORESHADOWED" WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. Are you really this stupid? My gawd. :lol: Also, go look up foreshadow please... foreshadow does not mean presented with event RIGHT NOW. :roll: "WAAAAAA I WANT THE DEMO OF THE INVASION TO FORESHADOW THE INVASION THAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!!!!" :lol: :lol:
Reapers land, Reapers lazily walk about, Reapers kill half a dozen people.
I already covered this. Sorry you don't like it, but for whatever reason, logical or not, it's how they act.
Never mind all the horrible dialogue and Shepples and Anderson just casually standing there in the open chatting about who can order who about and OMG what to do if the council doesn't wanna help? This has nothing to do with nerddom - seriously, do you see REAL PEOPLE behaving like them? Saying what they say?
Sci-fi has bad dialogue? I am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY! And are you seriously asking me if I see real people say stupid things at inopportune times?
I may have had expectation that were just a tad too high, but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand some BASIC quality, like a lack of total retardation, or maybe some story more original than "what we did last time, only more!"
Well, it's a game that continues the same story as before... maybe if you you crank it up to 11, it may change.
I mean, what is it that you want, first from this demo, then from the game? I mean, you want something original now that you are in the 45th chapter of a book with 55 chapters?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stark wrote:But see Hav you are a perceptive man. :) I'm not upset it's crap, because it's not surprising, but I had hoped.

HOPES CRUSHED. :v At least Binary Domain seems solid (and has that shit we discussed where speaking naturally affects relationships).
What's Binary Domain?

I also am hoping for more quality. I am expecting Mass Effect 1 2 3. :D
However, I will wait until I play the game before I pass judgement on it.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Anacronian wrote:Should also take into account that this is the tutorial level - it's basically Trask Ulgar explaining that you are bunk mates and how to open a door while the Endar Spire is getting shoot up.

Have there been better tutorials in gaming? - hell yes but not even the most hyper charged coke snorting tutorial will ever be as exciting as the game it self.

Is it a waste that Bioware used the invasion of Earth as a tutorial ? - probably but there will be other planetary invasions in the game so i'm fine with it.

Edit and by the way the multi player is fucking awesome - headbutting Krogans is a win.
How the fuck does everyone have multi but me? :(

And it is a shame that they use the invasion as a tutoral. One the other hand, maybe this is just a tutoral and the actual opening will be different. One can hope.
That said, the invasion still falls in line with what we know of the Reapers.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Havok wrote:What's Binary Domain?
Third person japano-shooter about guys killing robots and cylons that emphasises your relationship with characters, has branching story, and uses voice control persistently (ie this morning I said 'goddamn charlie you're an idiot' into my headset and charlie said 'oh c'mon boss i'm trying').
I also am hoping for more quality. I am expecting Mass Effect 1 2 3. :D
However, I will wait until I play the game before I pass judgement on it.
Why wait? JUDGE NOW. :)

Multi is open for guys who own BF3, everyone else gets it friday (I think).
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Havok wrote: And it is a shame that they use the invasion as a tutoral. One the other hand, maybe this is just a tutoral and the actual opening will be different. One can hope.
That said, the invasion still falls in line with what we know of the Reapers.
I have seen the full opening of the game and it ain't all that different - There are a few scenes more right at the beginning where the shuttle takes off from the dreadnought and also Anderson makes different references to you earlier "exploits"(if you imported a game) and that's about it.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stop raining on my parade!! :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Havok wrote:Stop raining on my parade!! :lol:
Sorry - Spoiler
if it's any consolation rumors states that the reapers will go batshit crazy on the Turians in all out war since they don't have any interest in harvesting them.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Jesus craps, me making fun of her hair was meant to be a joke, its years later then one or two. She's got maybe five lines in the demo so judging her based on that is pretty stupid.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Omeganian wrote:I think it was Sovereign who did.
Nope, it's Vigil, when he's describing the Reapers descending on Prothean worlds.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

PeZook wrote:

Ashley always had long hair she just had it in a knot and she always used makeup - the only difference now is that she's a spectre and can say fuck alliance regulations I'll set my hair as i like, And by the way even the demo makes it clear that she was there to give a report to the alliance council so if she got "dolled up" for anybody it would have been for them.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Aaron MkII wrote:Jesus craps, me making fun of her hair was meant to be a joke, its years later then one or two. She's got maybe five lines in the demo so judging her based on that is pretty stupid.
NO WAY DUDE SHE IS JUST A DOLLED UP PLAYBOY WHORE WHO IS OBVIOUSLY WET FOR SHEPPARD!!!

:lol:

What does it really say that someone could even come up with that from longer hair and 20 seconds of screen time?

Oh wait... Ashley wants Sheppard. Sheppard is the hero. PeZook FattynerdsTM control Sheppard. PeZook FattynerdsTM control the hero. Ashley wants PeZook FattynerdsTM.

I should be a shrink. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ashley is a SPECTER?! How can this be?!?!

SHE IS NOT THE SAME AS SHE WAS IN MASS EFFECT 1 ARRRRRRSRRRGTGGGHGGGGRSHEWANTSMYCOCKWHATAWHOREWITHHERLONGHAIRRRRGGHHG!!!!!1!1!11

:lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stark wrote:But in the game of anyone not cataclysmically retarded Ashley is dead.

So who cares?
Uh...I actually sacrificed Kaiden. :oops:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)