Mass Effect 3 Demo

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by Losonti Tokash »

But those are clearly city lights at night?
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Fires ..city lights?

For me it looked like those damn dirty reapers had covered the north american continent in pumpkin pulp..and that's just cruel unless it's Halloween.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stark wrote:Y'know speaking about that stuff... if the ship in the demo was doing anything at all, like had a goal it was heroically trying to acheive at huge risk, it would have worked.

If it was moving to shield a building full of orphans, or firing its weapons and destroying the city with blast waves by accident, or shooting down fliers, or ANYTHING except the one thing every captain knows WILL NEVER FUCKING WORK ie fire tiny blue dots at it while not moving.
A lot of things in the demo were like that. Come to think of it, practically ALL of them :P

"We must get to the Normandy!"

"But uh...why?"

"Fool! It's a Mass Effect game, so it must have us riding the Normandy! Now get a move on!"
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Longer version of the trailer : Here
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It's like we have been saying... Cinematics show a different game than the GAMEPLAY shows.
That trailer is what Stark wanted to see in the demo. The demo is consistent with what we have seen from the gameplay.

That the two departments... which are clearly separate, can't get a unified vision of the game down, is what hurts the franchise as it goes along because it sells one thing and delivers another. I think this is gonna end up going the way Gears 3 did, although I want it to surprise me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hey they didn't hire an accomplished sci-fi author to do the story,so at least they have the same old hacks doing it.

It's hard to fathom, but it is possible to do worse.

Oh yes.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Anacronian wrote:Longer version of the trailer : Here
Is there a name for that trailer? Guy made it private and I wanted to try to find it somewhere.

Re: cinematic trailers v gameplay; would hardly be the first time they differed. In fact I'm not sure I have a major game where they didn't on some level that was disappointing. The right hand's never known for talking to the left in this aspect.
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

Gaidin wrote:Is there a name for that trailer? Guy made it private and I wanted to try to find it somewhere.
Mirror
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

TC Pilot wrote:The... Ferengi?
I got my episodes mixed up. It was "Peak Performance" with the Zakdorn. These guys are supposed to be awesome, but there's really nothing shown of it. Well, one beats Data in a video game.
Turians are more like TNG Klingons, supposedly badass and menacing but ultimately just getting themselves blown up constantly.
Klingnons are always portrayed as brutes with the oddball non-idiot example. Turians are portrayed as a race of competent military commanders, like Cardassians maybe, that just don't accomplish anything when their better are around (humans).
Havok wrote:That the two departments... which are clearly separate, can't get a unified vision of the game down, is what hurts the franchise as it goes along because it sells one thing and delivers another. I think this is gonna end up going the way Gears 3 did, although I want it to surprise me.
You can notice this in the original Mass Effect. Many of the story planets have completely different concepts of what "Paragon" and "Renegade" means. Dialog between characters and Shepards general attitude seems to change as well. I played through the game 6 times and it really feels like different writers were working on different parts with little communication in between since the only thing linking them all was one Plot Coupon.

SWTOR feels the exact same way.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Extended trailer:

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Man the uncanny valley on the little girl is horrendous. It really takes me out of the video everytime I see it.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

The what?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Man. It's like they blew their entire "earth invasion" budget on that goddamn trailer and didn't have any money or ideas left to do it in the actual game.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Aaron MkII wrote:The what?
The uncanny valley. In short, she looks almost, but not quite enough, human, so we catch all the imperfections and get turned off.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

A redundant term for a dubiously consistent effect adopted by nerds because it sounds cool. It's be easier to say 'CG was bad' but not as cool.

If ou think that's 'almost but not quite human' you may be a robot in disguise. :lol:

Is the multi beta demo going to run until launch? I'm curious to see just how many magic cards people can get, only to have them all deleted.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Aaron MkII wrote:The what?
Just Image search "Uncanny Valley." Good god the first picture creeps me out.

On-Topic, I heard the co-op is a separate campaign, but details from the sites I've searched are sketchy at best. Something about Galactic Support Coupons. Anyone have anything more concrete/detailed?
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I saw a guy with an overall account level of eighty-seven last night. And it's aaaall going away.

Basically the multi is up to 4-man coop, and doing it can effect the overall war in your SP campaign. Basically you can boost the war by doing side-quests or multi or a combination thereof, and so if you're playing a ton of multi maybe you don't need to sidequest it up as much to get the 'the whole galaxy thinks you suck, Reaps' ending.

EDIT: It's also a ton of fun, IMO, so no matter how the integration goes I'll be rockin it.
Last edited by White Haven on 2012-02-21 05:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The coop is just horde mode to earn money to buy magic cards, going by the demo. I'm not sure how it interacts wih the story and in which direction money can flow.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I despise that they can call that "co-op" with a straight face. Oh well, makes my purchasing decision easy.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Heaven forbid that Bioware refers to a multiplayer mode in which you cooperate with other players as...co-op multiplayer. The horror.

There are are already reasons to rag on Bioware, you don't need to run around inventing new ones out of whole cloth.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah; Binary Domain's coop is the same sort of thing. So's Shank 2's. Coop doesn't mean 'coop campaign' and Los tells me there was never really any chance of that.

There was enough nerdrage just for this, lol.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

God. I'm agreeing with Stark. I feel sick.

Dammit, say something smarky and unreasonably assholish so I can go back to hating you again.

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Get a character class to level 20 in multi, then you can "promote" it into a galactic war asset in all your SP games worth 75 points. This resets that class back to level 1 and can be done infinitely. It also increases your "readiness" rating, which is the variable that decides what part of your Total War Assets are Effecive assets for the final assault.

No specific ideas on what the minimum Effective strength you need is, but it's in the thousands and here are some numbers for reference:

Promote multi character: 75 points
Unite Krogan clans: 300
Preserve Collector base at end of ME2: 110
Conrad Verner survives series: 1 point

God. I'm agreeing with Stark. I feel sick.
:roll:
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

White Haven wrote:Heaven forbid that Bioware refers to a multiplayer mode in which you cooperate with other players as...co-op multiplayer. The horror.
"Horde Mode" isn't co-op anymore than Team Deathmatch. It's multiplayer. I would have passed on the GoW series had they done the same thing.
There are are already reasons to rag on Bioware, you don't need to run around inventing new ones out of whole cloth.
Playing up numerous interviewes and their kiss-ass spreads in Gameinformer talking about "fighting alongside friends to save the galaxy" then giving us Horde Mode isn't inventing anything. It's the same thing as Fable 2 promising us co-op then dumping the bullshit on us that they did: it's flat-out lying and made me skip on Fable 3. Blizzard pulled this same shit with Starcraft 2 calling "2 vs 2 comp" "Co-op." Brink also did this by replacing Humans with non-existent AI bots and slapped a co-op label on it so they could reach a wider market.

It's intentional and it's bullshit.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Look, the only thing you should care about is "is it fun"

Val and I bought it on the multi alone, neither of us are serious gamers. Its entertaining and I like the semi random nature.