Dragon Age II: What The Holy Fuck?!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Dragon Age II: What The Holy Fuck?!

Post by Havok »

Stark and I were talking about this the other day.

What has happened is that they backed themselves into a corner with how they established the Fade, magic and demons.
They set it in stone that even the most experienced Mages can be overcome by Fade demons and get possessed when they should have said, "yeah, padawan mages are susceptible, but Jedi Knight mages aren't, and the real higher ups on the Council laugh at Fade demons."

Like, "I will grant you all your desires Mage, just agree to this deal."
"Dude, I've been a Mage for 60 years, dumbass. Go away." :lol:

That makes the Circle have a purpose, and can allow for the younger inexperienced to fall while having the fewer older Mages not be a concern. It can also be a plot point of why the Fade demons go after the younger mages so often.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

That would actually make sense especially given that all older mages will have to have dealt with at least one demon at their trial. It would also then mean that older mages would be able to offer incite into how one can avoid giving into the temptations offered by the other side.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It would also lend actual credence to the screeching by the mages that they aren't all one second from turning into Demons and would cast Merideth and the Templars in a bad light, instead of making them absolutely correct.

They tried to hand waive everything away with the relic they found in the Deep Roads (If it can effect a Dwarf so strongly, how can a human resist it) but it was a cheap ploy that that basically just ended up, coupled with the way all the mages reacted, saying "Magic=EVERYONE DIES".

Granted, falling back on what I said before, everything was from Verrick's POV and could be skewed, but the Seeker seemed to become more convinced that he was telling the truth and was accurate as the story went on, meaning that it fit the facts that she already had and was therefore, probably what happened.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If the demons were smart enough to let someone use their powers and not turn evil and be instantly killed every now and again, it'd at least create some narrative doubt. Is it worth the risk of perhaps being evil to gain power?

In context of DA, absolutely not, because it is 100% a trick and you will 100% turn evil and 100% die. There are literally no upsides ever, and every mage in the game knows that.

Each mage has resisted a demon during testing, but if DA1 is anything to go by, the 'tricks' of the 'cunning' demons are childishly transparent garbage. From what I remember in DA2 guys sometimes deliberately used blood magic with the intent of becoming an abomination, rather than 'I bet I can get away with it this time' or 'its only a little thing I can control it' or 'no no that's not a demon it's something totally different'.

As Hav and I talked about the other day, if the finale had Professor Mage say 'I could use blood magic to fight you and protect my friends, but THAT WOULD BE AMAZINGLY STUPID, DO I LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT TO YOU' and just surrender, that would have really clouded the issue of mages being walking nuclear bombs... rather than 'I will use blood magic... thus proving you right, killing my friends, destroying the cause I have fought for, and inevitably resulting in my meaningless death'.

And Hav, if Bioware were good writers (which they aren't) I think the metastory in DA2 simply shows Varrick telling bondage woman what she wants to hear, rather than him being more honest.
Sycrus
Redshirt

Post by Sycrus »

Havok wrote:The difference between the Arishok and Orsino is that the Arishok sacrificed nothing to do what he did, and actually held steadfast to his beliefs and what his people and religion stood for.
Orsino sacrificed EVERYTHING that he spent basically his entire life preaching, teaching and trying to convey to the world at large. He undid it all.

On top of that, the Arishok was still the Arishok, while Orsino would forever be an abomination, win or lose. He not only gave up and sacrificed the lives of every mage in Kirkwall, but he effectively committed suicide in the process.

This is why the second act was far superior to the third, and end game act.
The Arishok sacrificed his life and the lives of his soldiers. The fact that his philosophy doesn't consider that a sacrifice is not much different than Orsino deciding that he had nothing to lose after seeing everything he had tried to protect being destroyed. Remember, he used the bodies of his dead comrades to become a monster.

Anyway, personally I think that he just snapped, and wasn't really being rational at the time.

Havok wrote:In the case of Thrask and Grace, neither of them knew who was being kidnapped and if you look at it though, it is the Mages in the instance of the kidnapping quest that attack the Champion and do not allow for a peaceful solution each time the option come up. (It's almost as if the writers have something against wizards. :lol: )
On the contrary, Ser Thrask will point blank tell you that they took the hostage with the intention of guaranteeing the Champion's cooperation. And it's not just the mages, but their templar allies that attack Hawke on sight, apparently, because they're scared shitless that the Champion will just go berserk on them due to the hostage. Which just begs the question of why did they bother with the hostage in the first place. Stupid...

Havok wrote:Petrice feels that she is protected by her status and the head cleric chick. I actually liked her involvement as it shows religious people as they are.
"I am devout to my God who is real, therefore I am righteous and justified, while these other people are heathens that are devout to their god that doesn't really exist."
It may be a dumb point of view and course of action, but it is a very real one.
Hey, I said it was stupid, not that it wasn't in character for them. ;)

Vendetta wrote:On the other hand, I don't think there were any instances in DA1 of people having Blood Magic go well for them. Even the ones that didn't turn into abominations themselves usually caused some other catastrophic and highly avoidable instance of demon shenanigans.
Well... There's the main character and the party members. :P Also, the only bad consequences of Jowan's use of Blood Magic are the social ones. He refuses to deal with demons at all, and can even find some measure of redemption, if he survives to the end of the game. Actually, none of the characters you can ask to enter the fade to free Connor will accept anything from the Desire Demon (unless you decide your main character is more succeptible to that). Also, Avernus, from the Warden's Keep DLC, was a Blood Mage trapped in a castle full of demons for a century, and never became an abomination.

The only case in DA1 in which we see too many abominations is in the Circle Tower mission. And that's because Uldred (an idiot through and through) became one when he thought his plans were finished, and summoned other demons, which then force-possessed many of the unprepared apprentices in the tower.

Havok wrote:"yeah, padawan mages are susceptible, but Jedi Knight mages aren't, and the real higher ups on the Council laugh at Fade demons."
I got the impression that this is really how it works in general. Think about Tevinter, where every mage and their brother abuses Blood Magic, but we don't hear about cases of Abominations there. Actually, none of the Tevinter mages you battle throughout DA2 will turn into abominations. Only in Kirkwall is it different, mostly because there's something in Kirkwall that causes these tragedies. There's a whole plotline dealing with how Kirkwall was built by a magister of the Old Tevinter Imperium for some sinister purpose, down to how the streets were laid out. That seems to be the main reason behind all of the many tragedies that happened throughout it's history.

Even so, we hardly see any mages turning into abominations unless they're at the end of their rope, with nothing to lose. It's desperation city, at that point. And even so, many of the crazy mages you fight will die without turning to that "option", anyway. Heck, the one mage that's most sought after by the demons, Feynriel, can finish the game completely possession-free.

Stark wrote:In context of DA, absolutely not, because it is 100% a trick and you will 100% turn evil and 100% die. There are literally no upsides ever, and every mage in the game knows that.
NaH. We walk around with an abomination through most of DA2 (Anders), and, thus, have a good idea of what it is to be one. It's mostly a fusion of personalities between the mage and the demon, with some willpower disputes to determine which is the "dominant" one at any given point. The fact that the games don't give fleshed out personalities for abominations you'll only meet through a combat encounter is hardly a fault...
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Anders/Justice isn't really a great example, since their intention was more of a peaceful coexistence than most abominations, where the mage's personality is almost entirely dominated by the demon.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Stark wrote:Each mage has resisted a demon during testing, but if DA1 is anything to go by, the 'tricks' of the 'cunning' demons are childishly transparent garbage. From what I remember in DA2 guys sometimes deliberately used blood magic with the intent of becoming an abomination, rather than 'I bet I can get away with it this time' or 'its only a little thing I can control it' or 'no no that's not a demon it's something totally different'.
It's been a while since I played, but Merrill is the only character I remember who used blood magic in a 'I have it under control I can quit any time' way.

I did get a few laughs playing a super-aggressive 'ALL MAGES EXCEPT ME ARE ABOMINATIONS' Blood Mage. It's too bad there was no way for npcs to see the hypocrisy and call me out on it, even if it was just something like Anders or Merrill going 'What the fuck, Hawke?' when I yelled at them for being mages.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Sycrus wrote:Well... There's the main character and the party members. Also, the only bad consequences of Jowan's use of Blood Magic are the social ones. He refuses to deal with demons at all, and can even find some measure of redemption, if he survives to the end of the game. Actually, none of the characters you can ask to enter the fade to free Connor will accept anything from the Desire Demon (unless you decide your main character is more succeptible to that). Also, Avernus, from the Warden's Keep DLC, was a Blood Mage trapped in a castle full of demons for a century, and never became an abomination.
So you missed that cutscene where Avernus unleashed an army of demons then promptly lost control of them and let them slaughter everyone, spending centuries trapped in a single tower because of his own personal fuckup with blood magic? Turns out Blood Magic will go wrong and doom you.

Also, Jowan is pretty much the poster child of fuckups. He's a fuckup in the mage opening, and then he fucks up again at Redcliffe (and do you think Connor would have ended up possessed if they hadn't had a blood mage teaching him, really? Especially someone who only became a blood mage because he was a fuckup to begin with).

These are not sound examples, in fact they are pretty much golden examples of what we're all talking about. If you use blood magic it's because you're a retard. (Of course, Jowan was a retard anyway).
Sycrus
Redshirt

Post by Sycrus »

Vendetta wrote:So you missed that cutscene where Avernus unleashed an army of demons then promptly lost control of them and let them slaughter everyone, spending centuries trapped in a single tower because of his own personal fuckup with blood magic? Turns out Blood Magic will go wrong and doom you.
As oposed to being obliterated by the army of a tyrant? I think you missed THAT part of the cutscene. Either way, Avernus was doomed. By his magic, he at least managed to survive, which is accomplishing a lot, giving the circunstances. Also, he only lost control because he summoned too many demons. Not that it made much of a difference in the final outcome of that battle.
Vendetta wrote:Also, Jowan is pretty much the poster child of fuckups. He's a fuckup in the mage opening, and then he fucks up again at Redcliffe (and do you think Connor would have ended up possessed if they hadn't had a blood mage teaching him, really? Especially someone who only became a blood mage because he was a fuckup to begin with).
He's a fuckup because he's a retard, not a blood mage. Absolutely nothing of the shit he did throughout the game had to do directly with blood magic, only with the social consequences of being a blood mage (and his own stupidity). And Connor was at risk from possession from day one, every untrained mage is, that's why all of the mages are sent to the Circle. If Jowan was at fault for that happening was because he poisoned the arl, not because he was a blood mage. Even as stupid as he was, he wouldn't teach blood magic to the boy.
Vendetta wrote:These are not sound examples, in fact they are pretty much golden examples of what we're all talking about. If you use blood magic it's because you're a retard. (Of course, Jowan was a retard anyway).
Malcolm Hawke used blood magic without any dire consequences. Any mage party member (and a mage main character) can do that too. I'm not saying it's not dangerous, or that it should be approached only with great care, if at all. The games are very clear about that. But it's not the demon apocalypse guarantee you're painting it as.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Just as an additional comment about blood mages... weren't the darkspawn created as a result of mages messing with blood magic?

You can talk about mages going batshit insane or unleashing extradimensional monsters into the world (that seems to happen a hell of a lot, at least in DA1), but I would say the major villains of the series take the cake.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

There's some debate in-universe as to whether that's what actually created the darkspawn, or if it's a myth. As far as I remember, the myth was that mages brought the darkspawn. It didn't say whether they were blood mages, but knowing magic in Dragon Age, they probably were.

I think there was also some contention in-universe over, assuming the myth is more or less true, whether the mages created the darkspawn by entering the Creator's Realm, became the darkspawn as punishment, or unleashed the darkspawn that were already infesting the place.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

About the Darkspawn. For a fact we know nothing about their origins. We know the Tevinters had something to do with it. We know magic was possibly involved and beyond that we know nothing.

People seem to be getting hung up on blood magic but lets remember what blood magic is. The ability to make yourself temporarily more powerful via sacrificing your essence (IE blood) and the ability to control other people's minds and bodies. (Again via blood).

Jowan never went demon because all he was interested in blood wise was the former, making himself more powerful via blood magic. He could make himself powerful by shortening his own life or that of a willing sacrifice. He's not bending men's mind or raise undead hosts. Blood magic is about control, both over yourself or others. It's not magic... well it is magic, but it's not if you practice blood magic you will automatically get your soul nomed by a demon.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Mr Bean wrote:About the Darkspawn. For a fact we know nothing about their origins. We know the Tevinters had something to do with it. We know magic was possibly involved and beyond that we know nothing.
Blood magic was and is the norm for Tevinter mages, so it's not much of a stretch.
People seem to be getting hung up on blood magic but lets remember what blood magic is. The ability to make yourself temporarily more powerful via sacrificing your essence (IE blood) and the ability to control other people's minds and bodies. (Again via blood).
On the other hand, you do have to make a deal with a demon to learn blood magic, and as we see time and again in the games, that always ends badly.
Jowan never went demon because all he was interested in blood wise was the former, making himself more powerful via blood magic. He could make himself powerful by shortening his own life or that of a willing sacrifice. He's not bending men's mind or raise undead hosts. Blood magic is about control, both over yourself or others. It's not magic... well it is magic, but it's not if you practice blood magic you will automatically get your soul nomed by a demon.
However, his actions directly led to the events at Redcliffe, as Connor found his books and learned about making deals with demons in exchange for power (he will tell you so if you choose to execute him). Cue army of undead jumping up and down on the village.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Vendetta wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:About the Darkspawn. For a fact we know nothing about their origins. We know the Tevinters had something to do with it. We know magic was possibly involved and beyond that we know nothing.
Blood magic was and is the norm for Tevinter mages, so it's not much of a stretch.
Yes but there's a difference between assuming that a bunch of Teveninters caused the Darkspawn via magic and they caused them via blood magic. There thing was seeking new sources of power like eldrich artifacts doing Xenu knows what.

Vendetta wrote: On the other hand, you do have to make a deal with a demon to learn blood magic, and as we see time and again in the games, that always ends badly.
You have to make a deal with a demon to learn blood magic. Jowan read a book, in fact most of them read a book. Blood magic is another form of magic, documented and tested. It's source is demonic but as Demons are undying soul/memory stealing a-holes there's nothing say it was their creation alone or simply something they picked up and is now a popular trade good with humans. Or they might have created it themselves and it's evil and bad and always bad except the Teveninters lasted a very long time considering they are all blood magic practice demon huggers.
Vendetta wrote: However, his actions directly led to the events at Redcliffe, as Connor found his books and learned about making deals with demons in exchange for power (he will tell you so if you choose to execute him). Cue army of undead jumping up and down on the village.
Any mage can make a deal with a devil, blood magic is not required and Jowan just proved how shitty a teacher he was by not starting off every lecture with "Demons are assholes and demon deals always bite you in the ass, never make one ever for any reason unless your prepared to lose everything"

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Dragon Age's intro cutscene shows a bunch of guys pouring blood from their slit wrists into a pool... so, I'm guessing probably blood magic.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

TC Pilot wrote:Dragon Age's intro cutscene shows a bunch of guys pouring blood from their slit wrists into a pool... so, I'm guessing probably blood magic.
Dragon Age's intro cutscene is the mythic story of how the Darkspawn came to be. Only the Tevinter know if it was really their fault or not and they are not blaming themselves. The Intro cutscene even says it's a story.

Sycrus
Redshirt

Post by Sycrus »

Mr Bean wrote:You have to make a deal with a demon to learn blood magic. Jowan read a book, in fact most of them read a book. Blood magic is another form of magic, documented and tested. It's source is demonic but as Demons are undying soul/memory stealing a-holes there's nothing say it was their creation alone or simply something they picked up and is now a popular trade good with humans. Or they might have created it themselves and it's evil and bad and always bad except the Teveninters lasted a very long time considering they are all blood magic practice demon huggers.
Actually, in Awakening, you can also learn blood magic from a book. That's actually how I ended up unlocking the specialization, as I never even considered bargaining with the demon during my first play through Origins.
Mr Bean wrote:Dragon Age's intro cutscene is the mythic story of how the Darkspawn came to be. Only the Tevinter know if it was really their fault or not and they are not blaming themselves. The Intro cutscene even says it's a story.
You learn a bit more about it on the Legacy DLC to DA2.
Spoiler
In it, you meet Corypheus, who's actually one of the very old magisters who did it, and was transformed into darkspawn (he actually, resembled the Architect a lot). He's confused when you first awaken him, but tells about how Dumat promised them the power of the gods themselves if they went to the Golden City. However, when getting there, it seems it was already black and corrupted. He remembers little more, but, apparently, they were really tricked by Dumat.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Mr Bean wrote:Dragon Age's intro cutscene is the mythic story of how the Darkspawn came to be. Only the Tevinter know if it was really their fault or not and they are not blaming themselves. The Intro cutscene even says it's a story.
So? Is there a reason to believe it's a wildly inaccurate account of what happened? Why would the developers troll some made up origin story for their main villains?

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

TC Pilot wrote:
So? Is there a reason to believe it's a wildly inaccurate account of what happened? Why would the developers troll some made up origin story for their main villains?
Because several people in game express question that the story is bullshit and it's Bioware which has a history of "what a twist!"

TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Mr Bean wrote:Because several people in game express question that the story is bullshit and it's Bioware which has a history of "what a twist!"
Who says it's suspect? Mages?

I'm sorry, but I don't find "It might be wrong" and "We might know more later" to be a good reason to dismiss the only piece of evidence on the subject.

As an aside, quickly looking over the DA wiki, I like how the same dragon that taught the mages blood magic just so happens to be the one who (according to Sycrus) tricked them into releasing the darkspawn.

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

TC Pilot wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Because several people in game express question that the story is bullshit and it's Bioware which has a history of "what a twist!"
Who says it's suspect? Mages?

I'm sorry, but I don't find "It might be wrong" and "We might know more later" to be a good reason to dismiss the only piece of evidence on the subject.

As an aside, quickly looking over the DA wiki, I like how the same dragon that taught the mages blood magic just so happens to be the one who (according to Sycrus) tricked them into releasing the darkspawn.
It's generally agreed that mages entering the Golden City resulted in the Darkspawn. Most of the ambiguity is in how one caused the other. The opening cinematic implies that it's a Fall of Numenor hubris of man divine retribution thing, but the twist will probably be something along the lines of the Maker being either dead, evil, powerless, or non-existent based on Sycrus's spoilerized text.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

What about the Maker being none of those things, but merely something the Chantry doesn't understand?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Capyhphoeryiasses guy states pretty unequivocally that they got to the Golden City and when they reached it, it was already black.

This isn't hearsay, unless he isn't one of the original Tevinter mages, or whoever the guys were that tried to get into the Golden City. It also isn't some vague reference or some riddle riddled story. He is stating it as fact.

Does he have a reason to lie? Maybe, but other than self importance, I wouldn't be sure what it was.

That said, the Blight and the darkspawn were clearly already present and the guys looking for the Golden City, just released them into the world.

It seems like the Golden City, is just a very ancient place and it worked it's way into the current lore, mythologies and religions of the current civilizations and has become intertwined into their creation stories.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)