Green Fire Quest for Warlocks in WoW

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crown
NARF

Green Fire Quest for Warlocks in WoW

Post by Crown »

Guys, not sure how many of you are still playing, but those of you that are and have a Warlock I HIGHLY recommend trying to do the green fire quest line before all the QQ on the forums will make Blizzard nerf it to the ground. It is grand, it is epic and you will get a sense of achievement that I no longer thought I could get from this game.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Green Fire Quest for Warlocks in WoW

Post by Lord Revan »

I dunno about the rest but I've heard that book for it is near impossible to get hands on, not that it matters much to me as both my warlocks are too low level to get it anytime soon.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

What I've heard from my friend (who has a warlock as a main) is that Blizz calibrated the quest line poorly. Gear requirements are too high, so a tiny sliver of the population who could do it will be able to at all while it is challenging/rewarding, and Siege of Orgrimmar gear will let late comers steamroll it without effort. He felt "lore events" should be normalized like challenge modes.

Personally, I have no idea. My warlock probably wont hit 90 before 5.3 comes out and will be among those latecomers showing up in 530+ SoO LFR gear.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the whole new content for the "main" world in 5.2 seems to be poorly balanced gear wise (I've been doing it with my recently leveled up mage and she seems to have a much harder time with it then my monk or shaman, both of which have better gear), the Throne of Thunder doesn't seem that bad though.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Darmalus wrote:What I've heard from my friend (who has a warlock as a main) is that Blizz calibrated the quest line poorly. Gear requirements are too high, so a tiny sliver of the population who could do it will be able to at all while it is challenging/rewarding, and Siege of Orgrimmar gear will let late comers steamroll it without effort. He felt "lore events" should be normalized like challenge modes.

Personally, I have no idea. My warlock probably wont hit 90 before 5.3 comes out and will be among those latecomers showing up in 530+ SoO LFR gear.
It's not about the gear in the end; I thought I was 'best warlock EU' for doing it in iLvL 470ish gear (lol) and then some one goes ahead and does it in iLvL 384 (not a typo) and then a one armed Warlock does it too. It's about learning the fight, its mechanics and its flow/dance (although being hit capped helps lol).

Although, yeah, later gear levels will be rofl curb stomp.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

The green fire quest was one of the last straws on the camel's back that finally got me to set WoW aside just recently. I strongly disapproved of Blizzard's manner in implementing it, and I think it serves as a grand example of the autofellatic loop Blizzard's been stuck in for the whole of MoP.

This was my post on the WoW forums a few weeks back-
me wrote:
someone else wrote:
me wrote:Three days of 5.2 and I'm closer to quitting wow than I have been in the past 5 months. I'm quite annoyed at how Blizzard has handled this.
Well, how would you have handled it?
I can't comment on the quest chain itself since, obviously, I can't start it, (although I hear it's been tuned pretty harshly) but not having a giant coquebloque of RNG right off the bat would have been nice.

Prior to 5.2 I'd been hoping green fire would be handled as some sort of neat extra - a little compliment to warlocks, something people have been asking for since Cat-Wra-Burn-no, since vanilla as a cosmetic option to personalize the class and make it visually distinct from fire mages. Here you go, warlocks, here's your long-awaited class option with a fun little quest chain that gives you a sneak peak at the lore going on behind the scenes during Mists of Pandaria.

But no.

Like damn near everything else in this expac, Blizzard's the compulsive need to lock it away behind either ridiculous amounts of grinding and/or horrendous RNG. So instead of going off to pvp on Kurze or playing my shaman like I'd like to be doing, I'm expected to bang my horned head against the wall of RNG, farming rares like some kind of bot until some silverdragon feels nice enough to drop my book (oh, and not bug out, that would be nice too).

You know, back in the day when you hit 60 on your paladin or warlock, boom, you got the epic mount chain dropped on you. It might take awhile to finish, it might take serious effort, sure...but it was right there. Blizzard didn't make you jump through stupid hoops just to start the damn thing.

Same deal with the rogue legendaries as late as Cataclysm - sure, there might be some RNG involved, but starting the chain was simple enough: get the quest, pickpocket the orc boss, drop 10k gold, a couple of skill quests, get Fear/Vengeance. Bang. You've already got your first reward, no reliance on RNG at all, just understanding your class and having the right resources.

Green fire is supposed to be a personalisation, an optional cosmetic effect to make you feel like a fel-slinging master of the nether, entirely distinct from fireball-chucking wizards or even the hellfire-spewing members of your own class. Instead, Blizzard's and twisted it into some kind of bizarre RNG-hunt/prestige reward - "YOU WILL SHOW US YOU LOVE THIS GAME AND FARM OUR NEW MOBS AND BE A PRO WARLOCK AND MAYBE WE WILL BE MERCIFUL AND GRANT UNTO YOU THE COLOR GREEN"
I did later get the book, but by then I'd already canceled my sub and time ran out before I did the actual fight (I ran through the chain up to that point, however).

After the late-Cataclysm sub loss, Blizzard shit the bed in panic and all of MoP has been about the developers obsessively dropping in gating mechanisms to make sure their playerbase keeps playing on a daily (and I use that word snidely) basis. They butchered the JP/VP system, they're fleeing the 5-man dungeon model (they recently announced there won't be any more 5-mans for the duration of MoP), they've made a hundred and one tweaks to the game system that make playing alts a chore. The problem is, when you lock even little things behind restrictive RNG and grinding expectations, players like me will take a look, shrug, and go find something more interesting to do.

It's a shame I quit now, because MoP is in many ways a better expac than the garbage that was Cataclysm, but Blizzard finally just pushed it too far. The continuing balls-retarded story and the ongoing "fuck you, Alliance players" from the developers played a big role in it as well.
JADAFETWA
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Kuja wrote:It's a shame I quit now, because MoP is in many ways a better expac than the garbage that was Cataclysm, but Blizzard finally just pushed it too far. The continuing balls-retarded story and the ongoing "fuck you, Alliance players" from the developers played a big role in it as well.
I'm curious about the "fuck you, Alliance players" part of MoP, since from Horde side it feels like the Alliance is kicking the shit out of us left, right and center. On top of that we are the designated villain for two expansions in a row, which is depressing. The Horde civil war, everyone hates us. Meanwhile, the Alliance gets Dalaran (a giant I WIN card if there ever was one in WoW) and has been generally crushing any Horde force that isn't lead by Sylvanas.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Take a look at the upcoming 5.3 scenarios-
■New Scenario: Battle on the High Seas◦ Help your faction fend off enemy forces in the midst of a battle for naval supremacy on the High Seas.

■New Scenario: Blood in the Snow◦ An agent of Zandalar has infiltrated Dun Morogh and rallied the Frostmane trolls. At Varian's request, Moira will lead her personal guard against them once the king's champions have stopped the magical storm protecting Shimmer Ridge.

■New Scenario: Dark Heart of Pandaria◦ Goblin engineers have been excavating in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms to find a mysterious artifact, but all they've found is trouble; you have been personally called upon by the Warchief to aid them in their hour of need.

■New Scenario: The Secrets of Emberdeep◦ Infiltrate the Emberdeep Caverns and assist the Gob Squad in investigating a recent disappearance in Durotar.
4 scenarios. One neutral, two Horde, one Alliance. An Alliance scenario where you fight trolls.

It has always been clear that the WoW writers write Horde because they enjoy it, while they write Alliance because they have to.

And even then, they won't miss a singly opportunity to shake their finger at the Alliance playerbase and say, "shame shame, you guys are mean to the Horde, shame!" Look at the end of the 5.1 chain. Yeah, Dalaran is great. Dalaran feels awesome as an Alliance player. Then it ends and Varian scolds you for being mean to the poor wittle blood elves. Then Anduin gets crippled (Kosak admitted they originally intended to kill him, but they flinched from it).

As a Horde player, yes, Garrosh makes the faction look like assholes. But the Horde players get to work against him to undermine his shitdickery. Alliance just get kicked in the face over and over again with the prayer of "wait for the Horde to turn against itself so you can fight!". The Theramore scenario is Alliance players picking through the remnants of a major city after a nuke goes off. Tides of War was just absolutely execrable, with the Horde pulling out I-win buttons by the dozen. 'A Little Patience' was an atrocious piece of work where everyone except Varian is a massive retard and Kosak outright said that Tyrande is a shitty leader. Look at how Jaina ping-pongs from Alliance leader to pure neutral to raging elf-hater (because of the massive backlash of Tides of War's ending where Jaina professed a renewed neutrality).

The Alliance barely even needs to exist at this point - it's just an anvil for the hammer that is the self-contained story about the Horde's fermenting rebellion to smash itself against while it unfolds. Because that's what the plot has been - in Cataclysm it was Thrall the God-Shaman, in MoP it's Vol'jin the Freedom Fighter. If the Horde were actually losing to the Alliance (which it's not, the Alliance hasn't won against the Horde since Warcraft II) it would be one thing, but the story of WoW is the story of how the Horde kicked the Alliance in the teeth over and over until it finally took a break to kick itself in the teeth.
JADAFETWA
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Yeah, but we're cooler than you so ... :lol:

All kidding aside, to address your original post regarding the RNG for farming for the Legion Book I agree with you 100% and agreed with you ten times that while farming it for a day. I hated every fucking second of that, however guess what? When I finally, finally started the quest line I forgot all about it, and when Kenrethad finally succumbed to my greater Warlock-iness it was a distant memory of some other guy.

I felt euphoria when I won, like actual euphoria.

My only advice is this; if people have a chance to do this before they nerf it due to the QQ or they outgear the encounter I highly recommend it.

Also, regarding RNG farming, come now I've been playing Warlock since Vanilla, anyone remember the Headmaster's Charge? That shit drove me insane.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

[Benediction]
Your argument is invalid. At least you CAN solo-farm the item this time, that fucking thing required a 5-man party to farm the Eye of Shadow to progress the quest.

That said, I thought that was shit then, and I still do now, so I don't disagree with you lot on that point. But it's worlds better than my priest had it back then, so...there's that.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'm looking to give MoP a shot here in the next month or so. Good thing I ignore WoW quests anyways.
Kuja wrote:It has always been clear that the WoW writers write Horde because they enjoy it, while they write Alliance because they have to.

And even then, they won't miss a singly opportunity to shake their finger at the Alliance playerbase and say, "shame shame, you guys are mean to the Horde, shame!" Look at the end of the 5.1 chain. Yeah, Dalaran is great. Dalaran feels awesome as an Alliance player. Then it ends and Varian scolds you for being mean to the poor wittle blood elves. Then Anduin gets crippled (Kosak admitted they originally intended to kill him, but they flinched from it).
It's sad because there was really only this undercurrent of grumbling from Alliance players (or those who gave a shit about Blizzard's terrible storytelling). They would have just kept complaining a bit waiting for Blizz to throw them a bone had the status quo maintained itself. Then this happened and the backlash was insane(ly hilarious to read about on the forums). Out of the flames, we saw more than a few great posts (from mature Horde and Alliance players) on why Alliance felt slighted by the emphasis on the Horde and how Cata was basically a giant Thrall masturbation-fest. To bad it was all covered up by Bnet shitposters shouting them down with insults while the moderators did jack all. I doubted any of it would lead to positive changes and it's always good (read: sad) to see my lack of faith in Blizzard isn't misplaced.

Really though, my personal favorite part of this idiotic "Horde fo life, yo" idiocy that sprang up is the facial combination of looking down their nose, cocking an eyebrow, and pursing their lips in disgust that a Horde player gets infected with (at least those I've had the misfortune of actually talking to) when you say you play Alliance. The general community used to bag so hard on these types of morons in SWG.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Did we have radically different 5.1 chains? The Blood Elves were LEAVING the Horde, things with Garrosh were going so bad. But, since we are game mechanically shackled together everyone knew it wouldn't happen. So Blizz had Jaina flip her shit (and listen to Vereesa, whom I am told is basically genocidal against BEs) at exactly the wrong point and destroy talks of the BEs switching sides (which is what Varian was rightfully pissed about). Don't get me started on how two face Jaina has been since the start of Cata, neutral my ass.

My basic problem with Blizz is a lot of their best stories get cut in half between Ally and Horde and neither side makes much sense unless you see both (even then, there are gaps that make you go "Huh??"). The Gilnean story is my favorite example of that.

Green Fire: I'm glad to know that is more playing the mechanics than gear, since I tend to do fairly well at that. Just gotta cross my fingers and hope for good luck on the drops.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

The Green Fire quest is pure bullshit that for some reason players are jumping on as good because it makes them feel elite to have downed it. Sorry guys, no it's not a good quest. Hoping for a book to drop, then soloing an absolute bullshit boss (that you can already overpower with gear as I did) is not elite or fun in any way shape or form, for a purely cosmetic change.

Luckily destro is such absolute shite in both pve and pvp that all that hard work counts for exactly shite all huh.

MoP is so unfriendly to alts that i've almost quit twice, about the only thing keeping me going is that I enjoy raiding so much with my guild.
In WOTLK and Cata I had all my alts max level, now I have 5 and two of those abused bugs to get to level 90 since I fucking hate the new leveling paradigm blizzard has brought in - you will do our nice new quest zones, that are totally not exactly the same as they always have been, and you'll bloody well like it - and we'll make sure you spend as much time as possible there by nerfing every other way of gaining xp

I stopped even paying attention to the story line, it was so blatantly horde favoured in Cata that I just turned off.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Minischoles wrote:In WOTLK and Cata I had all my alts max level, now I have 5 and two of those abused bugs to get to level 90 since I fucking hate the new leveling paradigm blizzard has brought in - you will do our nice new quest zones, that are totally not exactly the same as they always have been, and you'll bloody well like it - and we'll make sure you spend as much time as possible there by nerfing every other way of gaining xp
Can you expand on this? In WotLK and Cata, I got burned out on quests 2-3 levels before cap and just grinded my way to max with Dungeons and PvP. Is this no longer viable? Are we talking SWTOR levels of non-quest grinding? I've heard nothing about this and it would definitely affect my decision to return to the game.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

TheFeniX wrote:
Minischoles wrote:In WOTLK and Cata I had all my alts max level, now I have 5 and two of those abused bugs to get to level 90 since I fucking hate the new leveling paradigm blizzard has brought in - you will do our nice new quest zones, that are totally not exactly the same as they always have been, and you'll bloody well like it - and we'll make sure you spend as much time as possible there by nerfing every other way of gaining xp
Can you expand on this? In WotLK and Cata, I got burned out on quests 2-3 levels before cap and just grinded my way to max with Dungeons and PvP. Is this no longer viable? Are we talking SWTOR levels of non-quest grinding? I've heard nothing about this and it would definitely affect my decision to return to the game.
I'm surprised I didn't get burned out, but there were always so many ways to level in WOTLK and Cata, especially if you were a tank or healer, that most of the time I barely had to quest unless I wanted to.

However this has completely changed with MoP - you can certainly try and dungeon or pvp level to max, but it'll take much much much longer. PvP and dungeons reward a fraction of the xp quests do, and the amount of xp you need to level is huge.
As a for example, each level takes roughly 4-5 hours of questing to level up (longer maybe if you don't play like I do with barely a stop), in comparison dungeon grinding will take you roughly 12-14 (depends on how quick you can get groups, so can take significantly longer if you're dps) and pvp is a joke if you want to level.
I can only imagine that Blizzard was pissed that they did all this work on the new zones (which is why they disabled flying pre-90) and whether you want to or not you'll quest.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

I've not noticed that. I'm levelling one of my alts through dungeons and it hasn't seemed that bad.

Also call a wambulance. You got Dalaran, one of the coolest cities in WoW and you complain. Your prince bested Garrosh and you complain. The Shado-Pan are planning to chuck the Horde (not the Alliance) out of Pandaria due to our dickery and you complain.

Also the dwarf scenario has a lore event at that place in the Vale it seems with Varian talking with the dwarf council.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That doesn't sound as incredibly terrible as I thought it would because you literally could not level in PvP or Dungeons (sorry, flashpoints) in SWTOR after the XP and Gold nerfs. Hell, you couldn't even maintain yourself through either since repair bills would murder you and buying skills was next to impossible unless you had a main to funnel credits from.
Sharp-kun wrote:Also call a wambulance. You got Dalaran, one of the coolest cities in WoW and you complain. Your prince bested Garrosh and you complain. The Shado-Pan are planning to chuck the Horde (not the Alliance) out of Pandaria due to our dickery and you complain.
This is reminiscent of a few arguments back during the shit-storm and a poster made a few points I thought were interesting even though I whole-sale ignore the WoW story because it's dumb:

No matter what happens, the Horde players and faction heroes (or Neutral factions) are the primary movers of the WoW storyline. Alliance is "given things" by essentially being thrown bones. How they get said things is usually because the Horde leadership (namely Garrosh, but Windrunner was mentioned as well) drops the ball hard and the Alliance picks up the scraps. If the Horde actually got their shit together, the Alliance wouldn't last 5 minutes in a straight fight. It's oddly reminiscent of the SWTOR storyline where the Republic is woefully inept at everything, but usually "wins" because the Empire is so busy backstabbing themselves and prospective allies because "FOR EVIL!"

It really boils down to "here's some cool stuff, thank the Horde. Now STFU while we write more Horde content." Blizzard and many Horde players cannot comprehend why this is considered insulting to the Alliance playerbase, which is just weird. If I cared even a little about Blizzard's writing, I would have rolled Horde. But the /laugh and /train emote on my Draenei is more important to me than anything that comes out of Blizzard's writing department.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Horde is in the spotlight, but they aren't winning. If anything, Mists has been a giant victory lap for the Alliance, in the 5.1 scenarios the Horde one is a desperate fight not to be wiped out by the Alliance attack force while their base burns, the Alliance scenario has them wiping out a Horde attack force without a casualty before they manage to threaten much of anything. The Horde is the center of attention the same way the guy facing a firing squad is the center of attention. After the rebellion is over, whomever the next warchief is gets to be king of the ash heap and lick alliance boot to keep from being crushed while rebuilding, what a prize.

On General Blizzard writing:
I've said it before, the Alliance suffers from utopia syndrome. It has no story that doesn't revolve around their current antagonist, leaving their internal politics undeveloped. As currently established, none of the Alliance members have any serious divisions with each other, even when they should. I blame this on the early WarCraft games, where the Horde was Evil and the Alliance was Good, no need for significant development. Writers seem less willing to allow Good Guys to have internal conflicts than Bad Guys or even Morally Grey Guys.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Minischoles wrote:I'm surprised I didn't get burned out, but there were always so many ways to level in WOTLK and Cata, especially if you were a tank or healer, that most of the time I barely had to quest unless I wanted to.

However this has completely changed with MoP - you can certainly try and dungeon or pvp level to max, but it'll take much much much longer. PvP and dungeons reward a fraction of the xp quests do, and the amount of xp you need to level is huge.
As a for example, each level takes roughly 4-5 hours of questing to level up (longer maybe if you don't play like I do with barely a stop), in comparison dungeon grinding will take you roughly 12-14 (depends on how quick you can get groups, so can take significantly longer if you're dps) and pvp is a joke if you want to level.
I can only imagine that Blizzard was pissed that they did all this work on the new zones (which is why they disabled flying pre-90) and whether you want to or not you'll quest.
The biggest problem isn't even the slow leveling.

It's the fact that there's only one fucking path through the continent.

You start off in Jade Forest, move in to Valley of the Four Winds (or poke your nose into Krasarang, the only time in the leveling process you get a choice) then on to Kun-Lai, then Townlong Steppes, and you finish up in Dread Wastes.

Contrast this with the earlier expacs: in BC there was only one entry zone, Hellfire, and this was a colossal failure because the zone was massively overloaded in the early months of the expansion. In Wrath they fixed this with having two entry zones, BT and HF. In Cata, even though Vashj'ir sucked they still had two entry zones. Hell, in both BC and Wrath they had multiple level cap zones.

But once you've done two quests in Jade Forest, you've seen Jade Forest. Once you do a quest in Valley, you've seen the Valley. You might be able to stave off the feeling of repetition to some degree by doing different parts of the zones (since the zones themselves are fcukhueg) but the aesthetic is almost universally the same all the way through a zone, and the snails' pace of leveling ensures that you are forced to subject yourself to them over and over.

Once I'd leveled a few alts, Jade Forest became my character graveyard. Everyone at 85 was doomed to stay there forever, because I couldn't bring myself to endure the process of dragging another alt through the same fucking zones again. Pandaria is just a massive step backwards from Northrend.

Honestly, I might still be willing to endure it if the endgame was fun and engaging. But it's not. The crafting system has gone balls-retarded. The JP/VP system is a Frankensteinian mess. Dailes. Urrrgh, the fucking dailies have become Byzantine in their omnipresence. Scenarios are boring as hell, 5-mans are a joke since by now they've been run a billion times and there won't be any more, and pvp is just the same shit it's always been. Parts of the game at 90 were fun enough to keep me around for awhile, but not enough to justify continuing to throw my money at Blizzard.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

For reference, here's a rant I posted back in November:
Right now, my 90's rep is exalted with Lorewalkers, and I-can't-be-arsed-to-care with everyone else. I can't be bothered to drag myself all over Pandaria to run a bunch of 'I vant yu keel seex snow moose' for everyone and their mother. The sheer number of dailies, put together with the near-complete lack of other routes for rep gaining, put together with the steep drop in rep compared to past expansions has really left me cold to rep climbs with Pandarian factions.

I didn't mind the Tol Barad grind. I did it on multiple characters. I got into the Firelands stuff as well, after awhile. But the thing is, those dailies would drop 250 rep on a person, plus bonuses or whatever. So it felt like you were accomplishing something, even when in the grand scheme of things it was miniscule, because you could run a slew of them and watch your rep noticably rise.

But now we're in the arena of 'kill 12 mogu' or 'kick some named guy in the jimmies' gives a measly 120 rep. Maybe. The stingy klaxxi bastards let you drag your way up to honored and then hit you with a brick wall of dailies. Even after a quest chain with some of the best writing I've seen from Blizzard in years, I can't be arsed to drag myself out to the giant amber lamp day after day.

And sure, there's some drops. If it's Thursday. And it's raining. And the mob is in a good mood. And then it gives you a pitiful 200 rep anyway. There's nothing on the order of running Twilight texts, or bulldozing a hundred scourge skeletons and collecting badges. Run dailies or GTFO. It gets old fast. I think the most annoying part is that you can't even start working on the Celestials or the Shado-Pan until the Golden Lotus gives you the nod, and good god the Lotus bore me. More, I find the artifical barrier in place annoying. I can do all of the following-

-assist the fighters on the wall
-evacuate Stoneplow Village
-rescue Taran Zhu from the sha
-aid Taran Zhu in organizing the Townlong defenses

...but I can't do Shado-pan dailies until the Golden Lotus says so.

Same bloody thing with the Celestials. I can-

-cleanse the Temple of the Jade Serpent of the Sha of Doubt
-rescue the Red Crane from the Sha of Despair
-prove myself so that the White Tiger will open the Vale
-break the mantid siege on the Temple of the Black Ox

...but I can't hang out with these guys until the Golden Lotus says so.

Then there's the Serpent Rider dailies, which I'd honestly be interested in if I didn't have to get exalted and buy serpent riding for every single character I might want to ride one on. Oh, that serpent you might want from heroic achievements? Screw you, go do serpent riding dailies.

Then you add in the stuff with the Tillers and the Anglers, who don't seem so bad honestly, but you put all this together (and add in the faction stuff coming in 5.1) and the Pandaria daily/reputation system borders on the !@#$ing Byzantine.

Ditching rep tabards was a terrible move on Blizzard's part. Yeah, people complained that they contributed to the 'World of Queuecraft' feeling and they felt too necessary to rep grinds, but you know what? That's because in Cataclysm they were necessary. Guardians pre-4.2? Therazane if you didn't want to finish Deepholm on every single character? Earthen Ring? Ramkahen? Good god, Ramkahen was the worst. Uldum got you to Honored and then you slapped on a tabard and went dungeoneering the rest of the way because those two whole dailies sure weren't gonna do it. Cataclysm's factions were lazy as %^-* and Blizzard used the tabards as a band-aid to hide it.

Dailies are good...as an option. Dailies should be an equalizer; the folks who can snatch an hour or two every day of the week can run daily quests, while the Weekend Warriors should have at least some kind of option to plow through rep gains. The cracks are already starting to show - Blizzard already unbolted the JP gear from rep requirements (which was dumb to begin with) and in 5.1 not only will you have increased VP gains but also rep gains server-wide once you reach sufficient threshold with one character. They keep putting band-aids on a system that has no need to be so bloody insane.

Then there's how it contributes to how badly they've gutted the LFD system, but good lord I think I've ranted enough for the moment.
I did later start getting into the various rep grinds once that server-wide booster was put in, but those intial grinds were fucking atrocious.
JADAFETWA
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Green Fire? Fuck that. Call me when they add a new minion.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Terralthra wrote:Green Fire? Fuck that. Call me when they add a new minion.
I think they did, my 'lock uses the talent that gives me the fel imp and the 6 armed chick and the void lord and the observer.

Or do you mean in addition to those? Since they replace your standard lineup of demons.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Slightly changed models for the same array of minions there's been since BC is not "new minions."
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Yeah the dailies model they came up with is one of the most outright retarded things they've ever done.

Considering in Cata and WOTLK they were saying that they didn't like that rep grinds felt mandatory, that they didn't like that you had to grind Therazane (not that Therazane was ever much of a grind) - then they went and gated absolutely everything off behind Golden Lotus and other rep factions, where you can literally only do dailies, for the most measly of rep.
Dragging my main and my raiding alts through that on release damn near killed any enjoyment I get out of this game, and each new patch, instead of bringing new content - new scenarios, or dungeons - instead brings more dailies as content.

I do agree that the one leveling zone route kills it for me as well, same as you Kuja half my characters haven't even left for the first step on the quest because I cannot bring myself to go through Jade Forest again, to face the exact same quest route yet again. It's not like you even get a choice, it's all so heavily scripted and railroaded that you can't skip quest hubs.
- James Nicoll
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the IoT dailies aren't that bad (mainly cause you're forced to do those (though the gear is nice)), but I agree about the early dailies, the model is really bad.