Path of Exile

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Path of Exile

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

So, anyone playing this? It just hit "open beta" (read: ninja game launch) and I'm liking what I see so far. It's 100% free in every way that matters, so I'm wondering how they'll keep it going long term.

The huge skill tree is nuts, and I love that your class merely biases your selections rather than pigeon-holes you into a specific set. The modular skill system is also pretty neat. Though so far my poor Templar has been speccing for sword-and-board and has ended up with a ton of staff and mage skills. :D

Playing with a friend can get a little cutthroat, though. The bind timer on item drops is hilariously short - if you don't snatch up your loot within about 2 seconds, it's fair game for everyone.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Path of Exile

Post by Enigma »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:So, anyone playing this? It just hit "open beta" (read: ninja game launch) and I'm liking what I see so far. It's 100% free in every way that matters, so I'm wondering how they'll keep it going long term.

The huge skill tree is nuts, and I love that your class merely biases your selections rather than pigeon-holes you into a specific set. The modular skill system is also pretty neat. Though so far my poor Templar has been speccing for sword-and-board and has ended up with a ton of staff and mage skills. :D

Playing with a friend can get a little cutthroat, though. The bind timer on item drops is hilariously short - if you don't snatch up your loot within about 2 seconds, it's fair game for everyone.
Link to the game?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Here and there. It's a very fun game and it'd be even more if I had a better computer.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I'll bump this to say I've been playing it a little in my spare time of late and have really come to enjoy it. It's basically nothing more than a free Diablo II clone with a more complex skill tree and an interesting way to acquire active skills, but it's that Diablo II sweet-spot very very well.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan