Path of Exile

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderators: Stofsk, Thanas, PeZook, Keevan_Colton

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Path of Exile

Postby Brother-Captain Gaius » 2013-01-23 08:45pm

So, anyone playing this? It just hit "open beta" (read: ninja game launch) and I'm liking what I see so far. It's 100% free in every way that matters, so I'm wondering how they'll keep it going long term.

The huge skill tree is nuts, and I love that your class merely biases your selections rather than pigeon-holes you into a specific set. The modular skill system is also pretty neat. Though so far my poor Templar has been speccing for sword-and-board and has ended up with a ton of staff and mage skills. :D

Playing with a friend can get a little cutthroat, though. The bind timer on item drops is hilariously short - if you don't snatch up your loot within about 2 seconds, it's fair game for everyone.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Path of Exile

Postby Enigma » 2013-01-23 09:11pm

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:So, anyone playing this? It just hit "open beta" (read: ninja game launch) and I'm liking what I see so far. It's 100% free in every way that matters, so I'm wondering how they'll keep it going long term.

The huge skill tree is nuts, and I love that your class merely biases your selections rather than pigeon-holes you into a specific set. The modular skill system is also pretty neat. Though so far my poor Templar has been speccing for sword-and-board and has ended up with a ton of staff and mage skills. :D

Playing with a friend can get a little cutthroat, though. The bind timer on item drops is hilariously short - if you don't snatch up your loot within about 2 seconds, it's fair game for everyone.

Link to the game?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"You, m'lady are alike that spring rose."
"How so?"
"Unfuckable."
SMBC

ASSCRAVATS!

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Postby Brother-Captain Gaius » 2013-01-23 09:30pm

Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Postby Soontir C'boath » 2013-01-25 08:57pm

Here and there. It's a very fun game and it'd be even more if I had a better computer.

If I was to worship God, it would be my lord, Baal.
P-38 Fanboy

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Postby Straha » 2013-04-03 11:19pm

I'll bump this to say I've been playing it a little in my spare time of late and have really come to enjoy it. It's basically nothing more than a free Diablo II clone with a more complex skill tree and an interesting way to acquire active skills, but it's that Diablo II sweet-spot very very well.
"My annoyance is exacerbated by the fact that the suffering I am witnessing now cannot exist on its own, it has to fall into the hierarchy of a “lesser animal suffering.” In the made-for-TV reality of American culture, the only acceptable genocide is historical. It’s comforting—it’s over. Twenty million murdered humans deserve to be more than a reference point. I am annoyed that I don’t have more power in communicating what I’ve seen apart from stuttering: “It’s like the Holocaust” " - Susan Coe

Return to “Gaming, Electronics and Computers”