Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Path of Exile PostPosted: 2013-01-23 09:45pm
Emperor's Hand

So, anyone playing this? It just hit "open beta" (read: ninja game launch) and I'm liking what I see so far. It's 100% free in every way that matters, so I'm wondering how they'll keep it going long term.

The huge skill tree is nuts, and I love that your class merely biases your selections rather than pigeon-holes you into a specific set. The modular skill system is also pretty neat. Though so far my poor Templar has been speccing for sword-and-board and has ended up with a ton of staff and mage skills. :D

Playing with a friend can get a little cutthroat, though. The bind timer on item drops is hilariously short - if you don't snatch up your loot within about 2 seconds, it's fair game for everyone.

ASS Marine | 40K Nut | Metalhead | BattleTecher | Maximal
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"IS names suck, Clan names forever. That there is a Timber Wolf." - Uraniun235. Ne'er have truer words been spoken.

Post subject: Re: Path of Exile PostPosted: 2013-01-23 10:11pm
is a laughing fool.

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
So, anyone playing this? It just hit "open beta" (read: ninja game launch) and I'm liking what I see so far. It's 100% free in every way that matters, so I'm wondering how they'll keep it going long term.

The huge skill tree is nuts, and I love that your class merely biases your selections rather than pigeon-holes you into a specific set. The modular skill system is also pretty neat. Though so far my poor Templar has been speccing for sword-and-board and has ended up with a ton of staff and mage skills. :D

Playing with a friend can get a little cutthroat, though. The bind timer on item drops is hilariously short - if you don't snatch up your loot within about 2 seconds, it's fair game for everyone.

Link to the game?

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Peppercorn Tomatoes slathered in broken guacamole sauce. Put it in the microwave and press puree. 5 seconds in the dumpster and it is ready to be cooked in the freezer at -350 degrees for twenty minutes. Apply pressure in various hamster spots and scream like a psychotic banshee." My reply when asked what was on my mind.

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." - Dawn of the Dragons

Post subject: Re: Path of Exile PostPosted: 2013-01-23 10:30pm
Emperor's Hand

www.pathofexile.com

ASS Marine | 40K Nut | Metalhead | BattleTecher | Maximal
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"IS names suck, Clan names forever. That there is a Timber Wolf." - Uraniun235. Ne'er have truer words been spoken.

Post subject: Re: Path of Exile PostPosted: 2013-01-25 09:57pm
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!

Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!
Here and there. It's a very fun game and it'd be even more if I had a better computer.

If I was to worship God, it would be my lord, Baal.
P-38 Fanboy

Post subject: Re: Path of Exile PostPosted: 2013-04-03 11:19pm
Lord of the Spam

I'll bump this to say I've been playing it a little in my spare time of late and have really come to enjoy it. It's basically nothing more than a free Diablo II clone with a more complex skill tree and an interesting way to acquire active skills, but it's that Diablo II sweet-spot very very well.

"My annoyance is exacerbated by the fact that the suffering I am witnessing now cannot exist on its own, it has to fall into the hierarchy of a “lesser animal suffering.” In the made-for-TV reality of American culture, the only acceptable genocide is historical. It’s comforting—it’s over. Twenty million murdered humans deserve to be more than a reference point. I am annoyed that I don’t have more power in communicating what I’ve seen apart from stuttering: “It’s like the Holocaust” " - Susan Coe