Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-23 09:07am
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2005-06-10 11:30pm
Posts: 4996
Seems like Nintendo is spending quite a lot of effort in marketing it, by creating an anime trailer.




People debate against me, to help me.

Still having a huge problem with reflex posting. Got to think twice before posting a reply and creating a thread :banghead:

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-23 10:15am
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2010-02-24 06:32am
Posts: 854
I don't see your point. The entire pokemon saga of cartoons was produced by nintendo (or by the nintendo employees that made the first pokemon games anyway), which also happens to sell the (shitty, lame, boring) games. Obvious good idea, I doubt that they would sell a shit without the anime that brainwashes kids.

It's just the next generation of (shitty, lame, boring) anime made to sell the next generation of (shitty, lame, boring) pokemon games.

Lots of (shitty, lame, boring) pokemon anime series before it.



I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-23 11:16am
Offline
Sith Devotee
User avatar

Joined: 2005-05-12 07:56pm
Posts: 2822
Location: Neptune Violon Tide!
For fuck's sake, either all advertising is brainwashing or none is. Anyways, will they be doing anything substantial to differentiate B/W II from their predecessors? I might pick then up if they change it up enough.



Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!


I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?

- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-23 03:29pm
Offline
Youngling
User avatar

Joined: 2011-10-09 12:05am
Posts: 93
Bakustra wrote:
For fuck's sake, either all advertising is brainwashing or none is. Anyways, will they be doing anything substantial to differentiate B/W II from their predecessors? I might pick then up if they change it up enough.


It'll definitely be a bigger change than Yellow was to Red and Blue or Crystal was to Gold and Silver. I'm not that into the series anymore and to be honest, I stopped playing Black the second I beat the Pokemon league the first time. But I'll check it out after I get my hands on a new DS.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-23 03:49pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Posts: 9393
Location: Sheffield, UK
ray245 wrote:
Seems like Nintendo is spending quite a lot of effort in marketing it, by creating an anime trailer.


Nintendo spending a lot of effort marketing their second biggest franchise next to Mario should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody, even people who have spent the last 20 years living under a rock. On the moon.

Anyway, wake me when Pokemon Conquest is out, that actually looks quite fun.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-25 01:53am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2006-07-25 09:32am
Posts: 5445
Location: Beverly, WV
Vendetta wrote:
Nintendo spending a lot of effort marketing their second biggest franchise next to Mario should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody, even people who have spent the last 20 years living under a rock. On the moon.

Which is funny given how much effort Nintendo goes through to stop Pokemon from moving on from where it's been since 1999. Pokemon has branched off into every single niche you can think of, but they refuse to actually make an actual Pokemon RPG dedicated to consoles or move on to exploiting the MMO market.



Wolf Ritter
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Why would you celebrate the slowly tightening grip of Death?~Hans Beinholt, German Ambassador to the UN, on Children's Birthday Parties.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-25 05:34am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Posts: 9393
Location: Sheffield, UK
And yet they continue to sell bajillions of copies. Because, well, Japan. Frankly.

Pokemon is well suited to the way the multiplayer scene seems to work in Japan (and much of the longevity of Pokemon games is in battles with other people), where the dominant paradigm is ad-hoc local wireless play. This is why Monster Hunter is so successful on the PSP, but markedly less so on the Wii (it still sold, but half as much as Freedom Unite).

So, it turns out that iterating development of the main series on the handhelds by making small mechanical changes and expanding the roster regularly is the right way for Nintendo to sustain the franchise.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-26 03:32pm
Offline
Mecha Fanboy
User avatar

Joined: 2002-10-20 09:10pm
Posts: 3913
I always figured that to take the Pokemon series is a more "mature" direction (no, I don't mean blood n' boobs n' brown), it would be served better as a spin-off, before messing with the main formula.



Image
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-28 05:08am
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2003-01-16 10:27am
Posts: 1670
Location: Valuetown
someone_else wrote:
I don't see your point. The entire pokemon saga of cartoons was produced by nintendo (or by the nintendo employees that made the first pokemon games anyway), which also happens to sell the (shitty, lame, boring) games.


I think competitive Pokemon is pretty solid these days, actually. With 50 pokes in BW's OU tier, and much deeper strategic options in abilities/movepool than before, the game is much more exciting than the Spike/Rock/Wall/Sweep metagame from last-gen, or the RS bulky v bulky era.

No comment about the anime, which exists primarily as a source of fanfic inspiration from what I can tell.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-29 05:18pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2006-07-25 09:32am
Posts: 5445
Location: Beverly, WV
Vendetta wrote:
And yet they continue to sell bajillions of copies. Because, well, Japan. Frankly.

That's an argument for keeping handheld games, not one against expanding the franchise beyond them.



Wolf Ritter
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Why would you celebrate the slowly tightening grip of Death?~Hans Beinholt, German Ambassador to the UN, on Children's Birthday Parties.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-29 07:57pm
Offline
Mecha Fanboy
User avatar

Joined: 2002-10-20 09:10pm
Posts: 3913
That's why I say that a "Mature" Console-based Pokemon should be a spinoff, not the next iteration of the series.



Image
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-05-29 08:46pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Posts: 9393
Location: Sheffield, UK
General Schatten wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
And yet they continue to sell bajillions of copies. Because, well, Japan. Frankly.

That's an argument for keeping handheld games, not one against expanding the franchise beyond them.


See, here's the thing, what do you expand the franchise into on home consoles.

How do you capture the "collect and battle" format of Pokemon in a home console game. The "standard" format of JRPGs (which is what Pokemon is, albeit with a single character not three or four) for the last 20 years is slowly dying off on the home consoles because it's frankly too simplistic (it still has a place on handhelds, but menu driven combat just doesn't cut it any more for real toys), so "The same Pokemon but teams of six all out at once" wouldn't be a good expansion of the franchise, and moving into a more modern JRPG format like something like Xenoblade wouldn't be able to adequately capture the many squillions of mons that now inhabit the franchise with them all developed as unique feeling entities.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-06-05 12:05am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2006-07-25 09:32am
Posts: 5445
Location: Beverly, WV
Vendetta wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
And yet they continue to sell bajillions of copies. Because, well, Japan. Frankly.

That's an argument for keeping handheld games, not one against expanding the franchise beyond them.


See, here's the thing, what do you expand the franchise into on home consoles.

How do you capture the "collect and battle" format of Pokemon in a home console game. The "standard" format of JRPGs (which is what Pokemon is, albeit with a single character not three or four) for the last 20 years is slowly dying off on the home consoles because it's frankly too simplistic (it still has a place on handhelds, but menu driven combat just doesn't cut it any more for real toys), so "The same Pokemon but teams of six all out at once" wouldn't be a good expansion of the franchise, and moving into a more modern JRPG format like something like Xenoblade wouldn't be able to adequately capture the many squillions of mons that now inhabit the franchise with them all developed as unique feeling entities.

Where are you getting Xenoblade and 'all six at once from'? Do you just really like the strawman or what?



Wolf Ritter
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Why would you celebrate the slowly tightening grip of Death?~Hans Beinholt, German Ambassador to the UN, on Children's Birthday Parties.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in Pokemon Black and White 2? PostPosted: 2012-06-05 07:58am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Posts: 9393
Location: Sheffield, UK
General Schatten wrote:
Where are you getting Xenoblade and 'all six at once from'? Do you just really like the strawman or what?


How could I possibly me constructing a straw man of your arguments when you do not appear to even possess a coherent argument beyond "They should make a Pokemon game for home consoles" with no indication of what you would consider a valuable expansion of the Pokemon franchise into that space. (Presumably Stadium isn't it).

All I was doing was pointing out that the current structure of a Pokemon game does not translate into that market space very well due to the changes that the genre which Pokemon is part of is undergoing.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Gunhead and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group