SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Executor32 wrote:Bounty hunters are already in Skyrim. I've had several come after me when my bounty was over a couple thousand.
Unless it was the family of some random guy I fried in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses, I apparently had the Dark Brotherhood sent after me twice for accidentally swiping a shopkeeper's stuff or breaking into a house.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

To report back, I finished the game for the first time after 140 hours of play a week ago - I hit Level 60 before I did everything I wanted to do. Now I'm playing it again. Loving it - this time levelling up Alchemy and Enchanting much earlier, for maximum gameyness.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

I've had a bounty collector come after me not even 30 seconds after I finished wiping out a Thalmor patrol when I struck first and accidentally hit their prisoner.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

The Thalmor are nothing if not efficient.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

That's nothing. I had a courier come up to me approximately one second after performing a Whirlwind Sprint in Whiterun, with a message that my Shout had caused quite the disturbance in the town, and that some guy wanted me to look into a "place of power" suited for the Dragonborn.

Screw being Dragonborn, I want to be a time-traveling courier!
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Hawkwings wrote:That's nothing. I had a courier come up to me approximately one second after performing a Whirlwind Sprint in Whiterun, with a message that my Shout had caused quite the disturbance in the town, and that some guy wanted me to look into a "place of power" suited for the Dragonborn.

Screw being Dragonborn, I want to be a time-traveling courier!
The Dragonborn becomes a time traveler in the main quest line.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Actually, you just witness an event in the past, you don't interact with it.

Also, i had a courier report a dragonwall location in Whiterun right while i was walking back from slaying my first dragon. I didn't bother to fast-travel AND i had a horse - news really travels fast in Skyrim :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Serafina wrote:Actually, you just witness an event in the past, you don't interact with it.

Also, i had a courier report a dragonwall location in Whiterun right while i was walking back from slaying my first dragon. I didn't bother to fast-travel AND i had a horse - news really travels fast in Skyrim :wink:
sorry I'm thinking of a Deadric Prince Quest. The Quest you drink a potion and you relive a guys past, and then you actually do stuff, which is time travel in my book.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Serafina wrote:Actually, you just witness an event in the past, you don't interact with it.

Perhaps the couriers in Skyrim have access to those giant fly's from morrowind, pre-steam air-shipping!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

You mean silt striders? They don't have wings, brah. Cliff racers are right out, too, they're raging assholes.

Speaking of couriers, weeks ago I ran into a courier fighting a troll. He died, so naturally I took all his clothes. Yesterday, when I came out of the Thieve's Guild, the same courier ran up to me in nothing but his little loincloth and handed me a letter from 'a friend'. I have yet to open it.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Executor32 wrote:You mean silt striders? They don't have wings, brah. Cliff racers are right out, too, they're raging assholes.
I think the closest thing to what lordofchangesomething is talking about -- despite having nothing in common with flies -- is the Netch. It does behave a bit like an animate blimp.

Oh, and silt striders are pure awesome.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Eleas wrote:
Executor32 wrote:You mean silt striders? They don't have wings, brah. Cliff racers are right out, too, they're raging assholes.
I think the closest thing to what lordofchangesomething is talking about -- despite having nothing in common with flies -- is the Netch. It does behave a bit like an animate blimp.

No, I was talking about silt striders. Haven't played Morrowind in years, i just remembered the striders having wings. Though these Netch creatures would be cool as a transport medium.

Why did you take the time to type out "something" instead of the number 13?
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Dragons keep kicking your ass? Giants got you down? Fret no more! Now you can have your very own army of Viking children!

The best part was one of the comments on Kotaku:
Eigt wrote:I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took a child to the knee.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

lordofchange13 wrote:
Eleas wrote:I think the closest thing to what lordofchangesomething is talking about -- despite having nothing in common with flies -- is the Netch. It does behave a bit like an animate blimp.
No, I was talking about silt striders. Haven't played Morrowind in years, i just remembered the striders having wings. Though these Netch creatures would be cool as a transport medium.
Oh, okay. And yeah. Main problem with Netches are that the big ones (the bull netch) is pretty darn aggressive. Not at all like the giant sand flea motivated through pushing on its exposed organs.
lordofchange13 wrote:Why did you take the time to type out "something" instead of the number 13?
I was making allowances for further upgrades. You could become lordofchange14 or even 16 at any moment, and then my post would look foolishly outdated.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Eleas wrote:I was making allowances for further upgrades. You could become lordofchange14 or even 16 at any moment, and then my post would look foolishly outdated.
You can do that!?!? The 13 what happened when I added together the chaos Gods holy numbers(discounting khorne, i just don't like him) and split in half. Though it would be awesome if i could go and edit my name.
Last edited by lordofchange13 on 2012-01-01 08:46am, edited 3 times in total.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

lordofchange13 wrote:
Executor32 wrote:Dragons keep kicking your ass? Giants got you down? Fret no more! Now you can have your very own army of Viking children!

Damn nice giant ass!! Did this guy poof the children in to existence or is just making a mod to have them follow him? I do not remember their being this meny children in all of Skyrim.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

lordofchange13 wrote:
Eleas wrote:I was making allowances for further upgrades. You could become lordofchange14 or even 16 at any moment, and then my post would look foolishly outdated.
You can do that!?!? The 13 what happened when I added together the chaos Gods holy numbers(discounting khorne, i just don't like him) and split in half. Though it would be awesome if i could go and edit my name.
I intended it as a joke, but yes, you can have your username changed. Be a member in good standing and then ask a moderator, and they should be able to accommodate you. Just bear in mind it's a request out of the ordinary when you ask, and you should be fine.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Do stores ever restock their goods? I stripped the clothing store in Solitude to the bone in retaliation for rude service, and I would feel terrible if I never got to rob them again.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

I think it's every 3 days or so ingame, same as every other BethSoft RPG.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

The stuff that you buy from them by talking to the shopkeeper gets restocked ever 2 days. the items that sit around the shop I do not think respawn before a month has passed.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ok.... I just got the game and here's the question.

I want to run as a Jedi "lite" and was wondering whether focusing perks/skills in this area is a viable build to complete the game.

So, how does one play as a swordmage?

Would focusing perks in one hander/illusion/restoration be viable? Just how much magicka would I need if I plan to focus on long duration spells in the alteration/restoration chain and use illusion spells like frenzy, calm and etc as my main "combat" spells?

I'm also guessing I'm going to have play sneak a lot as this playstyle will leave me very vulnerable, what with having to dump stats into a mixture of both stamina, health and magicka....
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Has anyone else tried playing it in Japanese? Besides everyone not having terrible accents (Hadvar, I'm looking at you!), dragons have this kind of high-pitched I-don't-know-what-to-call-it added to the sound they make just before they shout. It sounds kind of cool, actually.

Also:

Download it. NOW.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

PainRack wrote:So, how does one play as a swordmage?
Put some points into one handed, but also get the perks that make bound weapons (conjuration spells for bound sword, bound battleaxe, bound bow and I think there's a bound shield) more powerful. Then enchant some items of clothing (or armor if you prefer, but the spells for increasing your armor rating will have double effect if you're wearing clothing and have the relevant perk) with the fortify conjuration and fortify restoration enchants, substitute fortify conjuration with destruction if you prefer to have UNLIMITED POWER with the lightning spells. At level 100 enchantment with 5 points in the first perk each fortify magic school enchantment will reduce the magika needed for a spell by 25%, 4 items of clothing with that enchant will let you use spells from that school for free.
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

Ok, firstly I haven't been playing long because I got the game for Christmas and work FIFO so I only play at home. Secondly, I haven't read all of this thread because I don't want to read about things beyond where I am. I'm level 11 (I think, I'll check later), was working purely as a warrior but changed partway to a warrior mage (my only real wasted perk was in block). I'm getting owned by dragons (quest ones, haven't had a random encounter yet), trolls and I even have trouble with sabre tooth cats if I'm not ready when they attack. Haven't had many issues with bandits or undead dungeons (apart from Caralmil in the Forsaken Crypt who was kicking my arse with his fucking "Disarm" shout). Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Or is it just my change of play part the way through that's getting me here? I've hardly done any crafting or smithing so I'm wondering if my equipment (all light elven armour and Skyforge steel sword) is crap. Any hints? Tips? Abuse?
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

In my experience it's pretty normal to have to run from trolls and some dragons at level 11. Oh, and bears. I was being owned by bears all the time at low levels.