SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Re: SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

Post by Rahvin »

Serafina wrote:You DO get better at improving an item when you have the appropriate perk.
Also, you can actually improve an item past legendary if you have effects that grant +smithing. That can get very broken very quickly, even if you don't abuse the Alchemy/Enchanting-loophole for this. With just a couple of powerfully enchanted items, every kind of armor can give you maximum damage reduction (which can actually be kinda cool, considering that you can choose your looks freely that way). And of course weapons have no damage limit, so that's pretty much a way to killfuck everything.

My advise: Don't use +smithing effects when you are already at high smithing, they make the game too easy. On armor they are fine, since armor has a hard cap, but on weapons they break the game pretty easily IMO.

Smithing and Enchanting are both broken-good.

Both at once might as well just break the game.

Legendary-improved double-enchanted Daedric Armor and a double-enchanted Legendary Daedric Weapon murder just everything ever. I have something like +120% to Archery damage and a bunch of resistance and armor skill on my current armor set, all at once.

Also - Bound weapons, with the appropriate perks, are pretty goddamned strong. I;ve taken to using a Bound Bow to take out most enemies in one-two hits (and filling soul gems without needing to waste an enchantment or charges) so I can save my "real" arrows and double-damage-enchanted Daedric Bow for enemies that are actually hard.

...I haven't actually found any enemies that are "hard," mind you, but I have my good bow and a bunch of good arrows just in case!
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

That seems bleh, though. Does it not suck every ounce of fun out of the game? I impose artificial "restrictions" on my dude as it is (i.e. he will never, ever cast a spell, distrusts wizards/battlemages/priests, will never enchant an item (He tried it once, and ended up with an elven bow of flames that burned all charges in 10 shots, thought it was simply too much trouble, and tossed it casually aside perferring instead to leave the enchanting to the guys who like that kind of boring crap. After all, with his ludicrous ability to remain almost invisible even in direct sight and his way above average archery skill, it should be easy enough to find/steal/peel from the cold dead fingers of a victim an enchanted weapon more powerful than he could ever craft on his own.)

tl;dr - your game is zero fun and it's your own fault.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

In case anyone wasn't aware, armor values above 567 don't matter. At that total value, you've hit the game's damage resistance cap that armor can grant (which is 80%).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor this page has a breakdown of why.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Bwahahaha. I helped Ondolemar find evidence of Ongar's Talos worship. Just after turning in that evidence, I fry him and the Thalmor soldiers with him with chain lightning and submit to the fee for assault. Barely a minute after I pay, I get a courier telling me I inherited 100 gold from the guy I just murdered. :lol:
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

For those of you still playing and for those who have not completed the thieves guild quest line. you need to do it. Shit gets fuckin' REAL up in there.

Also - if you haven't gotten 100 sneak yet, it's bascially godmode. if you're losing a fight, just run 6 feet from your offending party who has spotted you, crouch, and you will be surrounded by ninjasmoke and, even in broad daylight, your target will go into the "Must've been my imagination" flow.

It's reTARDED.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I only just finished the poison the meadery quest. I shall do that then. Off to the Dark Brotherhood after. I wonder if doing the Dark Brotherhood quest prevents me from joining the Imperial legion.

In other news, Bethesda has yet to fix that "I must have imagined that knife wound and being set on fire" thing back in Fallout 3 (I think even back in Oblivion).
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

...Whaaat?
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Panzersharkcat wrote:I only just finished the poison the meadery quest. I shall do that then. Off to the Dark Brotherhood after. I wonder if doing the Dark Brotherhood quest prevents me from joining the Imperial legion.
I can confirm a 1500 septim bounty in solitude for me, personally, which is what prompted me to stop the DB questline and start up the Thieve's guild one, as I understand, there is a thing you get for doing the thieves guild that lets you pay off your bounty without losing all your stolen goods.

Which is good for me, since most of my shit is stolen :twisted:
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:I only just finished the poison the meadery quest. I shall do that then. Off to the Dark Brotherhood after. I wonder if doing the Dark Brotherhood quest prevents me from joining the Imperial legion.
As far I can tell the Dark Brotherhood quest line has ironically little effect on the free skyrim quest line. I have become the leader of the Brotherhood, as well as have stated the legion quests(though i am not finished).
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Panzersharkcat wrote:In other news, Bethesda has yet to fix that "I must have imagined that knife wound and being set on fire" thing back in Fallout 3 (I think even back in Oblivion).
Alert timers aren't really a bug; its just something that highlights the fundamentally stupid way their AI works. In some games, enemies will return to their idle patrol route WITH AN ARROW STICKING OUT OF THEM.

Why?

Because otherwise players complain that stealth is 'broken' or 'too hard' or 'glitched'.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Those players need to shut up because you'd think a supposedly highly trained army like Caesar's Legion (or the NCR) would kind of figure out the correlation between their soldiers' heads exploding and the profligate with a sniper rifle nearby.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Those players need to shut up because you'd think a supposedly highly trained army like Caesar's Legion (or the NCR) would kind of figure out the correlation between their soldiers' heads exploding and the profligate with a sniper rifle nearby.
For video games entertainment supersedes logic. If you were to accidently blow up a legion member in fallout the plot line would be effected so severely the player might have to restart the whole file. This is not fun so the designers have chosen to make the characters artificially stupid.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

lordofchange13 wrote:
Panzersharkcat wrote:Those players need to shut up because you'd think a supposedly highly trained army like Caesar's Legion (or the NCR) would kind of figure out the correlation between their soldiers' heads exploding and the profligate with a sniper rifle nearby.
For video games entertainment supersedes logic. If you were to accidently blow up a legion member in fallout the plot line would be effected so severely the player might have to restart the whole file. This is not fun so the designers have chosen to make the characters artificially stupid.
That sounds like lazy writing and scripting to me. It shouldn't be hard to change the story based on certain expected player actions like shooting somebody important to the plot. It's like these game designers don't actually know that a significant fraction of people playing the game will shoot story characters/allies just to see what happens.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Chardok wrote:
I can confirm a 1500 septim bounty in solitude for me, personally, which is what prompted me to stop the DB questline and start up the Thieve's guild one, as I understand, there is a thing you get for doing the thieves guild that lets you pay off your bounty without losing all your stolen goods.

Which is good for me, since most of my shit is stolen :twisted:
You don't even need to do the Thieve's Guild to keep your shit. Just pay your fine or go to jail, whichever you prefer, then go back to the jail and find the evidence chest. Crouch, pick lock, retrieve shit, done.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

S.L.Acker wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:
That sounds like lazy writing and scripting to me. It shouldn't be hard to change the story based on certain expected player actions like shooting somebody important to the plot. It's like these game designers don't actually know that a significant fraction of people playing the game will shoot story characters/allies just to see what happens.
Then you would be stuck with the same problem, in real life if some one brutally assaults you, and you are a leader of a massive army you will not just let the attacker apologies and walk away you'd murder his ass.But a NPC kicking the shit out of your character, which isn't very fun so developers oftentimes opp to just let them be stupid. that's why video games have to be to a degree illogical.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you saying introducing intuitive and obvious consequences would ruin a game, y/n?

PS if the alert timer was just 15m instead of 20s the problem would laregly be gone.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

lordofchange13 wrote:Then you would be stuck with the same problem, in real life if some one brutally assaults you, and you are a leader of a massive army you will not just let the attacker apologies and walk away you'd murder his ass.But a NPC kicking the shit out of your character, which isn't very fun so developers oftentimes opp to just let them be stupid. that's why video games have to be to a degree illogical.
If your character is going to attack anybody important they better have laid the groundwork for getting away with it and be ready to get out of dodge. In a well designed game you could kill him via stealth, or kill him in cold blood but have the troops guarding him in your pocket, maybe you allied with the guy trying to take his place and he calls off the search. It wouldn't even be hard to have a binary state for the NPC's, some haven't heard, some want the bounty on you, and others think you're a hero. Toss in some increased patrols that are looking for you and even a few other squads looking to exploit the chaos and without even writing too much extra you have a faction split playing out.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

S.L.Acker wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Then you would be stuck with the same problem, in real life if some one brutally assaults you, and you are a leader of a massive army you will not just let the attacker apologies and walk away you'd murder his ass.But a NPC kicking the shit out of your character, which isn't very fun so developers oftentimes opp to just let them be stupid. that's why video games have to be to a degree illogical.
If your character is going to attack anybody important they better have laid the groundwork for getting away with it and be ready to get out of dodge. In a well designed game you could kill him via stealth, or kill him in cold blood but have the troops guarding him in your pocket, maybe you allied with the guy trying to take his place and he calls off the search. It wouldn't even be hard to have a binary state for the NPC's, some haven't heard, some want the bounty on you, and others think you're a hero. Toss in some increased patrols that are looking for you and even a few other squads looking to exploit the chaos and without even writing too much extra you have a faction split playing out.
Im pretty sure if the New vegas Caesars Legion would split up based solely on the player character killing some guy, then the developers would have to put in insane amounts of extra information to make every action you take to have logical reactions. Though it would be cool to have a video game that could give perfect immersion. What game have you played that react's by drastically changing the story line from one off hand kill?
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

lordofchange13 wrote:Im pretty sure if the New vegas Caesars Legion would split up based solely on the player character killing some guy, then the developers would have to put in insane amounts of extra information to make every action you take to have logical reactions. Though it would be cool to have a video game that could give perfect immersion. What game have you played that react's by drastically changing the story line from one off hand kill?
I know that we're not going to get that level of extra detail. But even just sending out a few extra patrols and having some NPC's try to cash in on a bounty for a few hours of play time would be enough. Let the player know that they did something major by messing with the wrong guy/people.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

S.L.Acker wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Im pretty sure if the New vegas Caesars Legion would split up based solely on the player character killing some guy, then the developers would have to put in insane amounts of extra information to make every action you take to have logical reactions. Though it would be cool to have a video game that could give perfect immersion. What game have you played that react's by drastically changing the story line from one off hand kill?
I know that we're not going to get that level of extra detail. But even just sending out a few extra patrols and having some NPC's try to cash in on a bounty for a few hours of play time would be enough. Let the player know that they did something major by messing with the wrong guy/people.
Oh, yeah that would be cool. For Elder scrolls i think that might actually be more fun then just having guards be "Alerted" to your existence.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

lordofchange13 wrote:
S.L.Acker wrote:
Oh, yeah that would be cool. For Elder scrolls i think that might actually be more fun then just having guards be "Alerted" to your existence.
I think so as well, it would be pretty easy to add in as well. They already have random bands of people wandering about so adding in a few new groups isn't hard. Adding a few new lines of dialogue isn't backbreaking work either. It's likely that the people making these games are so rushed that they get tunnel vision and don't have time to think of the minor easy things that increase immersion.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Bounty hunters are already in Skyrim. I've had several come after me when my bounty was over a couple thousand.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Executor32 wrote:Bounty hunters are already in Skyrim. I've had several come after me when my bounty was over a couple thousand.
Never seen any, guess i am to good at murder. How common are they? Good loot?
Last edited by lordofchange13 on 2011-12-28 10:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

Executor32 wrote:Bounty hunters are already in Skyrim. I've had several come after me when my bounty was over a couple thousand.
I haven't had a bounty that high, but given how many garrisons I've slaughtered I'd expect somebody to come looking for me.
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

Chardok wrote:For those of you still playing and for those who have not completed the thieves guild quest line. you need to do it. Shit gets fuckin' REAL up in there.
And you don't even need to invest anything in the Thief set of skills. I completed the entire storyline with sneak at level 100 (lol one hit kill with a bow, move back, repeat), the Guild outfit (then the Nightingale outfit) and ring and necklace enchanted to improve sneaking and pickpocketing. Crouch-walking in front of some guy sitting in a chair fully in the light and not being detected = awesome funny. :lol:

If you complete the quest in which you get the Nightingale Blade after level 46 you get a bugged version of the sword that can't be improved at the grindstone. With the health and stamina draining enchants it has it's still effective but I haven't tried it out after letting the enchants drain yet.