SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

Post by Executor32 »

I've picked up potions of water breathing, so that enchantment/effect is still there. Water walking, I'm not sure about.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I haven't even noticed anything related to drowning yet. Mind you, i never dived that long, but i'm still curious whether it's actually in the game or not.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

how do you fucks keep mastering smithing? I find so little ore and other ingredients that I don't think I'd ever even get close! I just purchased a house and have about 200 gold to my name. Barely enough for the carriage ride to Hogwarts and to buy the magelight spell.

Oh, when the wizard lady asked me to cast Mage Light on the rune on the ground near her as a test, I wish there was a dialogue option to say "No, but if you want that bitch set on fire I got you covered."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Fun fact she can ask you any one of the first set of spells you can buy in the first town except set people on fire or heal yourself which apparently everyone knows and she picks one at random.

Also "Hogwarts" is small as heck, there were Televani Wizards with bigger places back in Morrowind.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

If only I had the cashola to do that. as a wimply, pimply high-elf my carrying capacity is pathetically low.

Also - anyone know if there's a way to break down things like Jewelry into their constituent components?

RE: Carrying capacity - I meant to say that I cannot carry a large amount of junk back to town to seel to get mo' moneez.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Chardok wrote:RE: Carrying capacity - I meant to say that I cannot carry a large amount of junk back to town to seel to get mo' moneez.
Dump all their stuff at the start of the dungeon, make multiple trips.

Also, if you're grinding smithing then enchant everything you make with a crappy enchant and sell it for moneiz and boost your enchanting ability as well.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Blackreach is fucking nuts.

I thought this game was huge. Oh, how wrong I was.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Smithing? You know where Whiterun is? It has a smithy right by the entrance.

There are five things: a grindstone, a workbench, leather-thingy, anvil-with-furnace and a smelter (it's a bit in the back). The workbench can be used to improve armor, the grindstone to improve weapons (both for which you need their corresponding material).

You can turn ore into usable ingots in the smelter.

Starting out, you will want to use the leather-thingy a lot. Hunt down some animals (not bunnies: they're too cute and more importantly, don't provide hides). From animal hides, you can make leather. From leather, you can also make a few leather strips, which you should.

Then go to the anvil-with-furnace and select leather. There is no difference towards XP as to what you make (you'll get as much XP for making the highest grade armor as making the cheapest hat), so make leather braces, which cost only one leather and one or two leather strip (IIRC).

Later, once you have the money and moved beyond steel or iron equipment, you can buy iron ingots by a large number. Do so and make as much leather strips as possible. Then make iron daggers like crazy.

That's how you do it. Being under the Warrior stone also helps.

I actually sort of wish they had a more elaborate xp-reward system. Making a high-grade armour with hard-to-find materials (ebony is a bitch to get) should reward you more, not as much as making the cheapest.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Serafina wrote:I haven't even noticed anything related to drowning yet. Mind you, i never dived that long, but i'm still curious whether it's actually in the game or not.
Yes, there's no visible air meter but if you stay under too long you start losing health. Unless you are Argonian, of course.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Chardok wrote:how do you fucks keep mastering smithing? I find so little ore and other ingredients that I don't think I'd ever even get close! I just purchased a house and have about 200 gold to my name. Barely enough for the carriage ride to Hogwarts and to buy the magelight spell.
Make sure you have enough spell effects to make enchanted weapons. Buy all the filled petty soul gems you can get your hands on, then enchant them for turn undead or something fun like that. Then sell them for massive profit which you use to do that more. Do this all after having slept for more skill gains. Fun!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

North of Whiterun there is a mine or cave filled with bandits. In one of them there is an Alteration spell called "Transmute". It allows you to turn iron ore into silver ore, silver ore to gold (one at the time though). Quite handy.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

It's also chock full of mammoth tusks, which are relatively valuable and can get you into the good graces of a marriageable npc which is another source of income when you have a house since they can open a shop. It's really a one stop beginner shop if you can pull it off.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zixinus wrote:North of Whiterun there is a mine or cave filled with bandits. In one of them there is an Alteration spell called "Transmute". It allows you to turn iron ore into silver ore, silver ore to gold (one at the time though). Quite handy.
If you go allll the way west to near Markarth there's a place called Kolskeggr Mine.

I got 51 lumps of Gold Ore there from one run through it. (It's infested with Forsworn tho).
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Also, for end-level stuff, if you look at the giant swampy area northwest of Riften, there's a dragon area in the middle. Head directly northeast and there'll eventually be a mine and an orcish outpost with a mine next to it. That mine is chock full of ebony. Ebony is megafun to play with. You can also sneak into the mine if you're careful with your jumps if you haven't done their quest.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: SKRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Mr Bean wrote: If a Dragon follows you back to town and burns down the town... sucks to be you. However I'll note most quest npc's hang out indoors. The major towns where a good 60% of the quests are gotten are also instanced so you can't bring a Dragon into them (Yet... come on PC mods) but you can sure as heck murder a town by yourself with your own zombie minions.
Something just happened that rather surprised me, since I'd read this post. It turns out that while you can't lead a dragon into the instanced towns, one is perfectly capable of spawning there all by itself. I'd just finished selling some armor in Whiterun, when everyone started running around yelling and a dragon swoops up and starts breathing fire.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

"...going legit is more trouble than it's worth..."
Spoiler
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

When I walked up the 7000 Steps there were several NPCs who said "Watch out for wolves on your way up to the high hrothgar."

That got really annoying.

I told my housemate: "The next guy who warns me about wolves gets stabbed."

I do the whole 7000 steps thing, investigate the barrow near town, learn a new dragon word, and then go back into the inn where I got the barrow tipoff.

Dude sitting at a table is like "Watch out for wolves on your way up to the high hrothgar."

STAB.

Other NPCs in the tavern: No reaction. At all.

WTF.

This game is seriously failing to live up to its fanbase's hype.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Maybe nobody liked that dude so they were ok with you stabbing him? :)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Stofsk wrote:Maybe nobody liked that dude so they were ok with you stabbing him? :)
He should try to see how far he can go before getting into trouble. I know I'd do it if I had the game. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

That varies wildly, as I mentioned before, hitting a chicken = whole town wants to murder you.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I don't get it. I've killed two dragons, but bandit chiefs I have to run from. What am I doing wrong here?
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Nothing. They just made Dragons beatable whatever your character's level is, but not all wildlife/enemies scale like that.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The regular dragons are lame, but the blood dragons are annoying. I wonder if that's something from the lore, or just poor balance?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

It's the scaling. Starting at about level 10 you start seeing blood dragons, at 20 frost dragons, something else at 30 and so on... presumably for as long as they can think up adjectives to stick in front of "dragon" as an excuse to make it 10 levels more powerful.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh