SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Re: SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

Post by Twoyboy »

charlemagne wrote:In my experience it's pretty normal to have to run from trolls and some dragons at level 11. Oh, and bears. I was being owned by bears all the time at low levels.
Thank fuck for that. The way some people were talking about dragons I thought I was absolutely screwed when I got fucked up by the one at Skyborn Altar. Going to finish the unrelenting force shout and give it another go.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The funniest thing just happened to me. I got greedy and decided to clear out two bandit camps in one go, the next thing i know, I was chocked full of steel armour and fur armour,overloaded like crazy, and well....... i bent over.

For some odd reason, the game stuck me in permanent crouch/sneak mode, without the actual sneak. My attacks were of the sneak animation, I executed silent roll when sprinting.............. damn. That was a funny bug
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

That happens if you're sneaking when you 'use' anything that makes you play a special third-person animation*. Hitting the sneak button again will fix it.

*Specifically, forges, workbenches, grinding wheels, enchanting tables, alchemy tables, mineral deposits, wood chopping stumps, and smelters.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ah. And here I was thinking it had something to do with me overloading myself by 100 units. It was hilarious, crawling up the slope to reach that barrel where I could dump my loot.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I'm also wondering whether the voice delivery for Lydia is intentional. The heavy load of scarasm in "I live to carry your burden" would have been super epic.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Of course it's intentional, half of her lines are dripping with sarcasm.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

PainRack wrote:Ah. And here I was thinking it had something to do with me overloading myself by 100 units. It was hilarious, crawling up the slope to reach that barrel where I could dump my loot.

Just 3 little words will rememdy your "crawling towards storage thing" problem. Wuld Na Kest. Good day.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Of course it's intentional, half of her lines are dripping with sarcasm.

That's werid that you mention that, because I hadn't noticed it beyond "carrying your burdens". He other dialogue seems very sincere "I am your sword and your shield", "Long life to you, Thane", etc. etc.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Chardok wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:Of course it's intentional, half of her lines are dripping with sarcasm.

That's werid that you mention that, because I hadn't noticed it beyond "carrying your burdens". He other dialogue seems very sincere "I am your sword and your shield", "Long life to you, Thane", etc. etc.
Perhaps he means the sarcasm is in the manner that she gives her lines?
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

No, I get that, but all of her other lines are specifically *not* dripping with sarcasm, just that one, which is strange.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Oh ok. i have no idea how to quantify sarcasm. Maybe his TV screen was bad and only though he saw drops of sarcasm coming of her text.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

She's a warrior not a pack mule? Every other duty is killing and protecting (usually by killing).
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Haven't played Skyrim in quite a while, and I could have sworn I remembered more of her lines being sarcastic.
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

My experience with this:

Dovakhiin: "Here, Lydia, take this master-crafted suit of armor and vorpal longsword of deathkilling, a gift from me to you."

Lydia: "Huff. Siiiigh. I will carry your burdens, jackass."

Dovakhiin: "But - I..."
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

It would be neat to see her expectations change based on what you've given her in the past.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Is it too sarcastic to say that the next step is to delete the items that cause an adverse reaction because they're all cruft? I think actually part of the problem with the inventory is that the Elder Scrolls games start you off with nothing. That means that the bar for what's worth grabbing is really low and that encourages a huge inventory so you can get a lot of money's worth of low level crap in and start to experience the shinier shinies.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Are dragon souls (saved)? I haven't been to the Greybeards yet, but I unlocked another Dragon Shout and on killing a dragon and absorbing its soul, the Shout isn't powered up.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

You bank the souls and spend them to unlock parts of a shout. If you have a shout you haven't unlocked and a spare Dragon Soul, you can use it to unlock the shout at the spells/abilities screen. Only plot-related Shouts are automatically learned, others you are given the option to save Dragon Souls or spend them to unlock shouts, which is nice, because I don't like wasting my Dragon Souls as shitty fucking Shouts like Disarm or Throw Voice.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:You bank the souls and spend them to unlock parts of a shout. If you have a shout you haven't unlocked and a spare Dragon Soul, you can use it to unlock the shout at the spells/abilities screen. Only plot-related Shouts are automatically learned, others you are given the option to save Dragon Souls or spend them to unlock shouts, which is nice, because I don't like wasting my Dragon Souls as shitty fucking Shouts like Disarm or Throw Voice.

You a crazy mang. Throw voice is one of the most useful shouts in the game. It allows you (once powered up to level 3) to ping an area to see if enemies are present. Or it will allow you to determine if an NPC is hostile from waaaay far away. It recharges in 2 seconds, and it's not considered an aggressive action. It's PERFECT for drawing foes out where they can be interoduced to Mr.-Ebony-arrow-to-the-face. I now know to never listen to your Skyrim advice, ever.

*HARUMPH*

:P
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Chardok wrote:*HARUMPH*

:P
:lol: I guess I was using it wrong. I thought it would be great for sending enemies off wandering in search of "what the FUCK was that?" to make it easier to sneak past a ton of smug Thalmor pricks during a certain plot related point of the game, but instead it made them all alert and they started hunting around with SURPRISING ACCURACY for the source of the crazy dragon shout. So I declared "fuck that nonsense!" and decided that using the Sense Life shout and BACKSTABS AND ARROWS was much easier and had less risk of them all knowing I was there and hunting my poor ass down. :lol:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

trick is to ping it off a far away thing like a wall or something and they will go to where the ping is.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Ah, I just pointed off in the distance and used it and ended up with High Elf motherfuckers running right towards me instead of off towards where I shouted. I guess aiming for a specific thing in the distance probably would be a better idea.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ouch. Made the trek to Ivarstead to find out that there isn't a single merchant in the village. After dying on the way up to the Greybeards, screw it, I'm going back to Whiterun, dump all my loot before venturing up to kill that dragon on the pathway.

I must also mention that I love the way they scattered details and life around this time, the dungeons and locations play a bit more like Obscuro mod, what with quest notes, notes on stormcloak soldiers being savaged by a troll telling you how they were sent to kill wolves but....... The wilderness also seem a bit more.... lived in, what with the occasional campsite, hunter and stuff. And of course, they left in the mandatory Potion lying around in wilderness, sunken ship and buried treasure chest. Amazing.
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

The last time I played Skyrim, a few weeks ago because my save file became too buggy to continue playing until they patched it, I came across a camp site just to the east of Fort Amol, in the volcanic hot springs. At first it looked like another abandoned camp with some lootables scattered about. Then I noticed that everything, the clothes, shields and a sword stuck in the ground, said "steal". I looked around for about ten seconds before I noticed the three hunters skinny dipping in the hot springs.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Would have loved to see that.

The game does manage to introduce its odd moments. Since I given up on reaching the greybeard, I made a long trek to first reach Winter-run and then clear up the Nature quest...

And along the three days I took...... I saw two Whiterun guards execute bandits(almost literally, the bandits spawned inside the watchtower, I saw the two guards inside the tower decide to give them an introduction to sword and the last I saw was them kneeling before the guards KO them).

And well.... to piss off Chardok a bit:D

Riverwood
"Hail Alvor! I returned...... and I need your services."Searching through his pack, Windu was too distracted to notice a sudden darkness shadow the rising sun. "Let see, I got this iron warhammer here... fit to smash a giant.... Alvor, are you listening to me? Bud?"
"You're asking for a fight now!" Alvor roared and raised his bare fists.....
"Errr, dude! I'm your friend? The one who helped rescue your nephew and sent the Jarl guards here? A thane of the realm?"
"What are all the guards doing? Hey, before you lay a hand on me, my pal here is armoured in dwarven stuff, and while I'm in leather, I no slouch with the sword. So... lower down your hands and act like a reasonable guy before my companion unleash some whoopass...... Golldir..... he's right in front of us, why are you taking out your bow? Threaten him with your big......"
"Slay the dragon! Watch the skies" The Whiterun guards screamed.

"Oh.. Faendal! Don't worry, I save you!"
A short, spirited fight unleashed, as the dragon perches on Skor house, and Heidi under the pouch rushing inside the door.
A few flurry of arrows and the dragon spiralled down, crashing on the docks beside the river. Alvor roared and charged him, fists raised!
"Dude! Take this warhammer at least! It can't kill a giant but" Windu voice disappears as Alvor rushes into the flame.

The Battle is over! The Dragonborn deals the final blow with Skyforge steel and the townfolk all rush out to see the miracle. Dragonborn! He absorbed the soul of the dragon! He shouts with the voice of Dragons! He heals! He fights!A guard comments:"I have the utmost respect for the School of restoration. We can do with more healers around"

As the Dragonborn basks in his glory, he walks past a small little boy. "Hey boy, you like what you're staring at?"
"Don't get on my bad side or you regret it." Windu stared speechless....... "I just killed a dragon boy! Don't you dare..."
As he raised his voice, a guard came up to him and murmured"Would you mind not shouting? You're making the townfolk agitated."

The fifth dragon I encountered, and a very enjoyable fight along with the outcome. No kiting around to keep the dragon in my sights, he perches nicely on a house, exposing himself to everyone arrows. I just had to dart around to heal town citizens while firing more arrows at him and some humor at the end of the fight. Just what the doctor ordered.
And the townpeople folk were actually uttered, although the guard intercepted me just before the boy actually started his spiel.