From Relic - another war in the grimdark future

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

From Relic - another war in the grimdark future

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Gamespot had revealed sometime ago that Relic had decided to make Dawn of War III.

To be honest, I don't know exactly how Relic would be able to make another Dawn of War title. I mean, the Blood Ravens storyline is over with the Space Marine Chapter and their recruiting worlds victorious over its enemies without and corruption within, and its not like they have anything else to add to the gameplay.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what Dawn of War III would be about?

What should it be about, though? What should be the main story? Should they start with a new Space Marines chapter or continue with the Blood Ravens? Maybe continue Taldeer's storyline? What about gameplay? What should they add? Should they bring back base-building? Or perhaps they should go again with the Dark Crusade style game with an all-out brawl between all the factions in the grim-darkness of the far future?

Ideas anyone?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Re: From Relic - another war in the grimdark future

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

One of the ideas I've heard bandied about for a DoW III would be sending the chapter on a Penitent Crusade. I'm pretty sure Taldeer is dead.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a Guard centered game (won't happen of course), with Space Marines units being limited high tier or even call-in type unit. Essential more Imperium vs Xenos/Chaos and less internal fighting. That or have the guard be one of the initial factions. IG suffered in both DoW I and DoW II for not being a race in the game from the beginning.* While we're at it let's see some more Chaos. We've seen primarily Khorne with just a hint of Nurgle, I doubt we'll see Slaanesh due to America's prudish nature. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they readded base building, and added stuff like trench networks and the stuff like in the CoH campaigns. Heck even the CoH British trenches were better than the mini-dragon's teeth used in DoW II by the IG. Basically, I'd like a larger scale game than DoW II gave us. Ork, Tyranid, and Imperial Guard armies in DoW II always felt rather small compared to how they are portrayed in the limited amount of fluff I've been exposed to. Space Marine and Chaos Marine focussed Chaos felt fairly elite and thus properly numerous in the game, whereas the Eldar seemed OK since they don't really do full scale frontal attacks.

Note: DoW I IG suffered from being a defensive designed race in a primarily fluid game of attack. In DoW II they suffered from having squads significantly larger than the other factions which played havoc with the cover system. They also got shitty low quality models and textures as a result compared to the high quality models of the base factions and Chaos. Heck the Guardsmen in Retribution are significantly less detailed than their counterparts in the main game and Chaos Rising's campaigns. I believe tics, a less prevalent unit for chaos than GM are for IG have something like 2x-3x the polygon count of guardsmen.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

They should license the World in Conflict engine and basically do Epic, WIC-style.

Hell, it shouldn't be much of a stretch: there's infantry, armor, helicopters skimmers, and support/artillery. The TA menu can be used to deploy troops via drop pod or teleport, or to call in orbital bombardment or air support.

And of course at that scale you get to play with Titans.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Uraniun235 wrote:They should license the World in Conflict engine and basically do Epic, WIC-style.

Hell, it shouldn't be much of a stretch: there's infantry, armor, helicopters skimmers, and support/artillery. The TA menu can be used to deploy troops via drop pod or teleport, or to call in orbital bombardment or air support.

And of course at that scale you get to play with Titans.
I'd second this, I want a huge scale game with battallions of infantry, squadrons of tanks and planes, titans, the works. Probably imperial vs Orks or 'Nids or maybe chaos to start it off. A war covering a whole sector maybe in the style of Total war just bigger.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'll agree with U235 (frankly the lack of a 40k mod for WiC just shows how stupid 40k fans are) but continue to say it'd be nice if it was good.

Ie, not really anything like a Total War game that has scale for no reason. 8)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

One thing they should do is bring back a story, any story. DOW1 was brilliant because it had excellent story writing and character development. You could witness the librarian going evil all the way sympathizing with his reasons for doing so. You could understand why the inquisitor failed to see the rot. You get the feeling that these people really are full personalities and not just cardboard cutouts that fight one another because the plot demands it like in DC and SS.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Purple wrote:One thing they should do is bring back a story, any story. DOW1 was brilliant because it had excellent story writing and character development. You could witness the librarian going evil all the way sympathizing with his reasons for doing so. You could understand why the inquisitor failed to see the rot. You get the feeling that these people really are full personalities and not just cardboard cutouts that fight one another because the plot demands it like in DC and SS.
DoW 2 had a story... so did its two expansions.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Yeah, the DoW2 crew was pretty characterful. Which made Chaos Rising all the more interesting when you see them deal with what happens.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I'd like to see Relic try another Homeworld game. Company of Heroes on the Russian Front would be nice. And of course some taste of modern combat. Relic has plenty to choose from. They have old game series, and current. They branched off for a few new titles. Space Marine is another direction and style they could consider. It seems Relic has settled in as the W40K company for now.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Alyeska wrote:I'd like to see Relic try another Homeworld game. Company of Heroes on the Russian Front would be nice. And of course some taste of modern combat. Relic has plenty to choose from. They have old game series, and current. They branched off for a few new titles. Space Marine is another direction and style they could consider. It seems Relic has settled in as the W40K company for now.
The Eastern Front mod already fills that niche. For some inexplicable reason it is the first hit on google for "eastern front", beating out the actual war.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I wonder if relic could use a newer version of the Homeworld engine to make a Battlefleet Gothic game.

I've always been interested in 40K naval battles, but there's nothing really out there.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Darksider wrote:I wonder if relic could use a newer version of the Homeworld engine to make a Battlefleet Gothic game.

I've always been interested in 40K naval battles, but there's nothing really out there.
It's a bit of an obscure niche. It's essentially Age of Sail - In Space, which tends to have a relatively limited audience.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Darksider wrote:I wonder if relic could use a newer version of the Homeworld engine to make a Battlefleet Gothic game.

Part of the problem is that no existing game has the engine to do a really decent job of it. It's really just a system that works better on tabletop than on a computer. I should know, I made pretty much the most completed BFG mod out there with two friends, and it was incomplete and trying to get it actually functional and near the fluff burned me out megafast.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Right now there's an EaW mod that looks rather promising, but I doubt it will very fluff-accurate. The EaW engine is pretty limited in what it lets you do
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's a BFG mod for almost every spaceship game around; they just run into limitations when trying to get things to work 'properly'. The Sins one is particularly limited by the base game, for example.

On the other hand, Homeworld existing is validated by the Macross DYRL? mod, so it's just the subject matter. I bet it'd be easier to make a flash/mobile BFG game than a 'proper' 'rts' 'strategy' game.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Stark wrote:There's a BFG mod for almost every spaceship game around; they just run into limitations when trying to get things to work 'properly'. The Sins one is particularly limited by the base game, for example.
That it is. Ask me about trying to get torpedoes to work. Not about getting torpedoes to function in the manner of the game, but just trying to get them to function in a manner so that they could do anything to fill their gameplay niche. If I ever restart it, I'm sure as hell not going to be trying to get nearly as close to the tabletop as I tried the first time, that's for sure. Getting nova cannon working was about as far as I go, and that was hideously complicated and probably doesn't work right, chaining large numbers of ability effects is incredibly annoying.

But that's the story of trying to make a BFG mod. Most things work, but there's just a few. damned. things. that you need but won't work, and indeed can't work without a major overhaul, at which point, congratulations, you've torn your hair out if you're a modder or basically made an engine for BFG if you've got actual resources, although if you're smart you could've made something that's basically a generic universal space battles engine. Both of those come with major problems. The first means nobody's satisfied, the second means you've plowed a ton of effort into a relatively niche market.