Any point putting W7 on a Pentium 4?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

eyl
Jedi Knight

Any point putting W7 on a Pentium 4?

Post by eyl »

I recently acquired an old dual-processor Pentium 4, with 512Mb memory (I'm going to expand it to 768 or 1024). I'm considering installing Windows 7 instead of XP; does anyone have an idea which will give better performance on such a system?

Thx
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Any point putting W7 on a Pentium 4?

Post by Mr Bean »

Windows XP will give much better performance, XP can run okay on 512 and runs well on 1024
Windows 7 does not run on 512 and runs okay on 1024.
Install Windows XP.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

There's no such thing as a "dual-processor Pentium 4" - unless you're running a dual-processor Xeon (which I highly doubt), what you have is either a Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading, in which case XP would be the better bet, or a Pentium D, in which case Windows 7 might actually be a better option, since it makes much better use of multi-core processors than XP does (though as mentioned, you'd need to upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB).
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Firstly, 7 will run on 512MB of RAM. Not much point, given how cheap memory is in a modern system, but it'll run. The rest is accurate, however; XP will run better, especially given how mediocre the P4 chips were to begin with. The Pentium Ds were simply doubled-up P4s, more or less, and as such still kinda crap and very hot under load. I wouldn't really consider advising 7 until the Core 2 generation.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Windows 7 runs well on an Atom. A sufficiently fast (and since it's either two-thread or two-core, it is) P4 will be fine.

If you can go to 2GB of RAM your life will be much happier.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Not saying it can't run it, but what's the point? It's not going to change the fact that it's a 6+-year-old pile. Put the money towards a worthwhile computer instead.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

DaveJB wrote:There's no such thing as a "dual-processor Pentium 4" - unless you're running a dual-processor Xeon (which I highly doubt), what you have is either a Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading, in which case XP would be the better bet, or a Pentium D, in which case Windows 7 might actually be a better option, since it makes much better use of multi-core processors than XP does (though as mentioned, you'd need to upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB).
It's not a multi-core processor - the board apparently mounts two P4 processors.
White Haven wrote:Not saying it can't run it, but what's the point? It's not going to change the fact that it's a 6+-year-old pile. Put the money towards a worthwhile computer instead.
Eventually I will replace it, but I don't want to spend the money at the moment if it isn't necessary (I got this computer for free, basically, we'll be having significant expenses soon due to moving). For the same reason, I don't want to exapnd the memory too much - I can expand it to 1Gb by cannibalizing my old computer, I'd rather not invest in new DDR 1Gb memory cards (the board only has two DIMM slots), since when I will get around to buying a new computer I'll presumably want DDR2 cards at least.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I first ran Windows 7 on a P4 with 768MB RAM, and it was a definite upgrade over XP. If you turn off the visual doodads it'll run smooth as butter.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

eyl wrote:It's not a multi-core processor - the board apparently mounts two P4 processors.
I think you have an old Xeon board, then (either Socket 603 or 604).
Eventually I will replace it, but I don't want to spend the money at the moment if it isn't necessary (I got this computer for free, basically, we'll be having significant expenses soon due to moving). For the same reason, I don't want to exapnd the memory too much - I can expand it to 1Gb by cannibalizing my old computer, I'd rather not invest in new DDR 1Gb memory cards (the board only has two DIMM slots), since when I will get around to buying a new computer I'll presumably want DDR2 cards at least.
That's the oddest motherboard I've ever heard of! Only two DIMM slots? Can you post which motherboard model you have (it should be printed somewhere on it).

Also, you need to be careful about these types of computers; you may need registered RAM. eBay might be the best bet for RAM.
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

phongn wrote:
eyl wrote:It's not a multi-core processor - the board apparently mounts two P4 processors.
I think you have an old Xeon board, then (either Socket 603 or 604).
That's the oddest motherboard I've ever heard of! Only two DIMM slots? Can you post which motherboard model you have (it should be printed somewhere on it).

Also, you need to be careful about these types of computers; you may need registered RAM. eBay might be the best bet for RAM.
It's an Intel D865GSA.

There should be a list of compatible RAM somewhere on Intel's site, I need to check it vs. what I have.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

eyl wrote:It's an Intel D865GSA.
Okay, that's a single-socket board; the other thing is the motherboard chipset. Your CPU is either a hyperthreaded Pentium 4 or a dual-core Pentium D.
There should be a list of compatible RAM somewhere on Intel's site, I need to check it vs. what I have.
That RAM is easy enough to get. DDR 400, it's still relatively cheap. Get 2GB and go.
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

phongn wrote:
eyl wrote:It's an Intel D865GSA.
Okay, that's a single-socket board; the other thing is the motherboard chipset. Your CPU is either a hyperthreaded Pentium 4 or a dual-core Pentium D.

I'm not sure; the System Information tool and Task Manager performance tab present it as having two P4 processors.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

That's the way a hyperthreaded p4 would show up.