Fallout New Vegas faction questions.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Which faction should I choose?

NCR
67%
Mr.House
4%
Yes Man
29%

Total votes: 24

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Fallout New Vegas faction questions.

Post by Enigma »

I'm liking this game quite a bit and I am doing my best to be the good guy on this play through (though admittedly much harder to be a good guy than in F3). But I've reached an impasse. I'm at the point that I have to choose a faction in order to continue be in their good graces. Either I choose the NCR, Mr.House or the Yes Man.

On the NCR side, I've progressed to the point that helping Yes Man will close off any further missions for the NCR and their last mission is to destroy Mr.House.

As for Mr.House, the last mission was for me to upgrade his securitrons under a bunker (which I did). I haven't done anything else for him but I'm guessing the next one will be to go against the NCR.

Yes man wants me to kill off Mr.House so he can gain control over the securitrons, yet he'd be in subjection to me. But if I do that then well, see above about the NCR.

I want to maintain a good rating and the Mojave's good guy but every faction seem to be a bunch of dicks. Which one should I choose?

Oh and BTW, after this game is completed, can I still play it after the ending or is it like F3?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fallout New Vegas faction questions.

Post by FaxModem1 »

After the ending, the game ends, so have a save ready for before you do the Battle of Hoover Dam.

Anyway, I chose the NCR, as each faction is practically where you fall on the political spectrum. Are you Liberal? Then the NCR is for you. Are you conservative? Then go with the Legion. Libertarian? Yes Man. Authoritarian? Mr. House. So, which are you?
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Can't say much about the factions for now, it depends who you want to side with from the good guy side. Once the game is finished it's finished, you cannot keep playing after you've done the final mission for the faction you chose.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The final mission is the final mission in Fallout 3 New Vegas but it auto-creates a save just before the big battle so you can keep playing.
I've sided with Yes Man and with Mr House, never played with the NCR but the thing is I like Mr House so preferred that ending, even more so when you add in the DLC's I like the idea around of Mr House around. I'm just sad you HAVE to kill in every play through but in which you stay his minon. The man knows to much and is to useful to die why won't the NCR see that? Just cut his tube out of external comms and use him as a brain trust.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Choosing "YesMan" is actually choosing yourself. You get to be the new Mr House, the man in charge of Vegas. You don't have to kill Mr. House to get there (although he says he dies naturally within a year). This seems to be the Win/Win choice.

Either way, your choices will heavily effect the lives of your allies. The Kings, The Followers of the Apocalypse, the Brotherhood, the Boomers... your choice will determine if they survive the next year.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

What, no poll option for the Legion? :P

I chose to take control through Yes-Man, because, hey, who wouldn't want to become the undisputed king of the world with an army of war robots? I never have played it all the way through since then. I keep starting a new character only to get sidetracked on a million other things in-game. Megalomania aside, the choice between House and the NCR isn't exactly clear: certainly, the NCR is no Legion, but they aren't exactly great, with a slew of problems in the making (corruption, ecological/resource exhaustion, a colonial mentality toward the Mojave), but House is more than willing to wipe out anything that threatens his vision, which (though admittedly probably is the best outcome for humanity) is a bit pie-in-the-sky, with the potential for horrible disaster (give how scientific research tends to go in Fallout). Plus, you have to settle for being essentially a servant.
Mr Bean wrote:The man knows to much and is to useful to die why won't the NCR see that?
To be fair, they've never actually met House. All they really know about him is that he's some guy in a tower with an army of robots under his command, and a few of the more perceptive NCR officials realize he's slowly sucking them dry with the terms of their treaty. Actually, I think House didn't really make his move until after the NCR had started scouting out the Mojave. So, from their perspective, one minute there's a wide-open land with an intact hydroelectric plant and a massive resevoir of clean water, and the next minute there's semi-hostile army blocking their way dictating terms. Either way, he's a threat to their power, which says a little bit about their intentions and attitude.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Y'know, I just laid down a save to do all of the faction story lines. (Done Caesar, because he's the easiest to annoy whilst doing every damn other thing in the Mojave, will do the others in order at some point)

To be honest, I'm more interested in the ending to the thread that's been going on through the DLC rather than the actual New Vegas story. If they keep up the quality, the final meeting with Ulysses should be grand, and also really add to the Fallout 'verse.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So I assume that there will or is a DLC that will take place after the main game is done?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So far, no. And there have been no words on there being any such thing.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Enigma wrote:So I assume that there will or is a DLC that will take place after the main game is done?
None of the DLCs will continue the storyline past the original ending, if my memory serves correct. I think I read it on an interview when Honest Hearts was released. From the same it seems the Lonesome road will be the final DLC to be released for New Vegas.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Enigma wrote:So I assume that there will or is a DLC that will take place after the main game is done?
Most certainly not, because the endings are too different. Doing so was no problem in Fallout 3, because there were only minor variations - this is not the case here. If you side with Mr. House you get a massively different ending than if you side with the NCR, and a completely different one if you side with the Legion.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

That royally sucks.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

FaxModem1 wrote:Anyway, I chose the NCR, as each faction is practically where you fall on the political spectrum. Are you Liberal? Then the NCR is for you. Are you conservative? Then go with the Legion. Libertarian? Yes Man. Authoritarian? Mr. House. So, which are you?
Wait what? That's a rather simplistic view of the way things are in New Vegas. I went with the NCR for my first playthrough of the game, and I'm no librul.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

The first time I played through NV, I was initially going with House, as I just didn't have the heart to kill him after I saw him sitting there all pathetic in his little pod. However, I also couldn't bring myself to stab the BOS in the back after they had never been anything other than fair in their dealings with me, so after a rethink I ended up going back and unplugging him anyway. Guess I just don't have the ruthless streak needed to thrive in a post-apocalyptic society...
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

MKSheppard wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Anyway, I chose the NCR, as each faction is practically where you fall on the political spectrum. Are you Liberal? Then the NCR is for you. Are you conservative? Then go with the Legion. Libertarian? Yes Man. Authoritarian? Mr. House. So, which are you?
Wait what? That's a rather simplistic view of the way things are in New Vegas. I went with the NCR for my first playthrough of the game, and I'm no librul.
Yeah, I'm not sure how you get "liberal" out of an aggressively expansionist, laissez-faire, parliamentary republic, or how the Legion, an ultra-militaristic, slave-based tribal army is "conservative." For that matter, how is siding with Yes-Man (i.e. yourself) specifically libertarian when Mr. House (who you replace) is authoritarian. Of course, "authoritarian" isn't really even a political ideology, just a descriptor for certain types of governments (like, for instance, the Legion).
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Lonesome Road will open up an entirely different ending for the main game.

4 days til it comes out.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Who told you that? I haven't seen anything suggesting an alternate ending than speculation that you die (which is a lol, since Obsidian has already said you can return to the Divide after the DLC is finished).
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Lonesome Road will apparently have some effect on the Mojave, but really the way to view the DLC for Fallout New Vegas is that it's actually a self contained side plot in and of itself that builds up to Lonesome Road. The only part of it that doesn't really add to the DLC metaplot is Honest Hearts, but even it drops a little hint (when you first meet Joshua Graham he mentions that he was expecting a courier, but not you, he's almost certainly referring to Ulysses.)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The others want me to kill the brotherhood

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:The others want me to kill the brotherhood
If you side with Caesar or House you have to kill the brotherhood. If you side with the NCR you can get them to sign a peace treaty or kill them, and if you use Yes Man to take over you can do what you like.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Someone made a mod that allows you to ally with the Brotherhood if you side with House, using, IIRC, some preexisting cut House dialouge.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

TC Pilot wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how you get "liberal" out of an aggressively expansionist, laissez-faire, parliamentary republic
To be honest, in the Post-Nuclear California/Mojave, there really isn't much of a social structure or governmental structure capable of collecting more than the most basic taxes and enforcing the most basic regulations such as "Slavery = Bad."

I'm sure in the more rebuilt up "core" NCR regions of central California (where FO1 and 2 took place), there's room for some sort of regulations and taxes; but out in the Mojave, they have their hands a bit full dealing with the Legion and other problems...
how the Legion, an ultra-militaristic, slave-based tribal army is "conservative."
The Legion is simply put, freaking nuts.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Both the NCR and Caesar's Legion represent the arrival of order to the Mojave, it's just how ruthlessly and completely that order is imposed.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Primitive societies had no trouble enforcing laws or regulations, some guys with lasers and radios shouldn't have any trouble either.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, let me try and explain my thinking here. The NCR is the most liberal option there, their society is the most egalitarian, and with the most equality. Mr. House's relies on force and his army of robots and if you don't do what they say, you're toast. Yes Man, is the ultimate Libertarian ending with you being the man who gets everything because you worked hard for it, and you got the sweat off your brow. And the Legion is harkening back to a better day, before technology, with the men in charge, fear through their use of force, and they keep the peace by being strong enough that no one messes with them or they get killed. Safety through Strength and all that.

In my mind, that's how it is.