Jak and Daxter (series)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Jak and Daxter (series)

Post by Gurgeh »

I would like to know is anyone a fan of this game? I have asked Spacebattles but they don't seem to know about this game but it seems like a really fun game to play. My favorite one being Jak II in the series. What do you think of the game?
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Re: Jak and Daxter (series)

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

The five or so minutes that I've played of this series seemed pretty good, but its playstation exclusive (I think) so I never really got into it.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Platformers are my favorite genre, and the Jak and Daxter series are some of my favorite games of the last generation. Jak II is also my favorite. I loved the harsh difficulty and the variety in gameplay and environments. Jak 3 was a step back in a few ways. Some of the weapons and abilities weren't very well balanced, making for much less of a challenge. I hope Naughty Dog doesn't just abandon the franchise like they did with Crash Bandicoot. There are far too few platformers this generation for me to get my fix.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I loved Jak 1, and beat Jak 3. Never beat Jak 2 beyond partway through act 2
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Jak and Daxter took me a while to beat, but it was light and fun.

Jak II was the worst of the platform games, trying to much to be a 3rd person shooter, with it being very difficult to get around because of the traffic system in the city and the final boss battle being almost impossible.

Jak 3 was a perfect mesh of 1 and 2, with all the platforming and power usage of the first game, with all the excellent story and gunplay of the second game. This is where it should have ended.

Jak X was out of left field and unnecessary. It was Mariokart, only XTREME!!!

I never played what came after, but I was told it was a bit like Crimson Skies, which is one of my favorite games.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

FaxModem1 wrote:Jak and Daxter took me a while to beat, but it was light and fun.

Jak II was the worst of the platform games, trying to much to be a 3rd person shooter, with it being very difficult to get around because of the traffic system in the city and the final boss battle being almost impossible.

Jak 3 was a perfect mesh of 1 and 2, with all the platforming and power usage of the first game, with all the excellent story and gunplay of the second game. This is where it should have ended.

I never played what came after, but I was told it was a bit like Crimson Skies, which is one of my favorite games.
That reminds me, I really need to get my hands on an XBox again and play some more of CS. Great game, wish it had sequels.

I really wasn't too fond of the original Jak & Daxter - it seemed like a ripoff of Crash Bandicoot more than anything else - but I had to change my tune in the second and third games. They managed to build a narrative that really grabbed my attention, and the gameplay managed both fun and challenging - though there were a few throw-the-controller-across-the-room moments in there.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Molyneux wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Jak and Daxter took me a while to beat, but it was light and fun.

That reminds me, I really need to get my hands on an XBox again and play some more of CS. Great game, wish it had sequels.

I really wasn't too fond of the original Jak & Daxter - it seemed like a ripoff of Crash Bandicoot more than anything else - but I had to change my tune in the second and third games. They managed to build a narrative that really grabbed my attention, and the gameplay managed both fun and challenging - though there were a few throw-the-controller-across-the-room moments in there.
I am not so sure but I think that Crash bandicoot where made by the same game makers. But I really liked the games story and voice acting. I also plan on checking out Heros on the Move.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

I have to totally disagree. Jak 3 is the game that felt like it was putting too much emphasis on combat, and everything other than platforming for that matter. What's worst is that as soon as you obtain the bouncing rifle beam attachment, every combat segment becomes a breeze. Walk into a room, fire off a few shots and they'll bounce around until they've taken out every enemy in a matter of seconds. Couple that with the ability to heal at your leisure and 90% of the game is a cakewalk. Jak II struck the right balance for me. It had some very challenging segments, but they were far from impossible. They simply require quick reflexes and experimentation. The biggest failing of the game IMO is how it doesn't explain certain abilities which really make things easier. For example, I didn't realize you could triple jump until the last third of the game, and I didn't know you could fire your guns from a vehicle until my second playthrough. Come to think of it I'm not sure how I beat the game not knowing that.
Earth001 wrote:I am not so sure but I think that Crash bandicoot where made by the same game makers. But I really liked the games story and voice acting. I also plan on checking out Heros on the Move.
Correct. Naughty Dog are the developer behind Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter and the Uncharted series. When moving from the PS1 to the PS2 they decided to start fresh with a new franchise rather than continue the Crash series because they felt the direction they wanted to go in would conflict with the character they had previously created. They wanted to create more emphasis on story and make the environments more open, which wouldn't have meshed well with the goofy nature and linear levels of Crash Bandicoot. Crash's character model was also designed with the graphical limitations of the PS1 in mind, what with his massive head and facial features. It's kind of silly to call Jak and Daxter a ripoff. Not only is the developer the same, but the gameplay between the two really doesn't have any more in common than they do to most other 3D platformers. It's kind of like saying Crysis is a ripoff of Far Cry.