Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by Simon_Jester »

Oh jeez, I knew I forgot something... I'll see what i can do.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Question on joint launches. If you have a duplicated piece of hardware between two joint launches (such as a kicker for lunar orbit rendezvous), do you get 1% or 2% increase in its reliability on a successful launch with both systems?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Simon_Jester wrote:Question on joint launches. If you have a duplicated piece of hardware between two joint launches (such as a kicker for lunar orbit rendezvous), do you get 1% or 2% increase in its reliability on a successful launch with both systems?
Quick test indicates it's 1%, sorry. There's two launches, but the game considers it a single mission.
Scottish Ninja wrote: PeZook, did you manage to get any compatible Hermes crews assembled? That's the last bit of information I need.
Yeah, you will have four compatible crews - one old (Crew I commanded by Johny Olds) and three new. Possibly more, if I fiddle some more with the astronauts :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

PeZook wrote: Possibly more, if I fiddle some more with the astronauts :)
Which is a proud Murcan tradition, so carry on, boyo!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

All I know is that I want a crew with Jebediah Kerman as the pilot.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

MASA Administration Building
The Cape
August 9, 1972

Sean Patrick Murphy Fitzpatrick Trentson needed a gun. For two years he’d been wandering the halls of the Teddy Space Center’s buildings and the paths of its grounds armed with nothing more than a heavy flashlight and a nightstick of substantially less use in a fight than the flashlight.

Worse still was he had an idea of how dire the threat was; President Teddy had taken it seriously when Zenobian agents had kidnapped a scientist from the Space Center, but since then, things had slid downhill once more, especially now under Trickson, who had never particularly paid attention to the space program. But not only the level of security but the nature of the threat had changed. Though the Zenobians and Cubics were still out there, and possibly the Yurpans, they were not the only things that could go bump in the night. Trentson had even heard rumors from a contact in the Secret Service of mysterious intruders penetrating the Ovoid Office itself, a few years back.

He’d tried to speak to Lester Growley, the aging head of Security, about getting a gun, but every time he’d gone to see him, the old man had been asleep in his office. Trentson had heard terrible stories about anyone rash enough to wake him during his “naps”. He’d gone through the regulations; there was nothing preventing him from having a gun (as if anything so un-Murcan could exist), but there were neither provisions for him to be issued a gun, nor was he paid enough to buy anything worthwhile on his own; the flashlight was still probably better in many cases than a Saturday Night Special, especially with the manual that Dr. Engineer’s secretary had gotten him on the flashlight’s combat use.

Maybe she could help.

“You don’t even have a gun? I got you that flashlight manual as a joke. Didn’t you at least get anything when - no, not here at Admin, there wouldn’t have been anything. Let me see what I can do. I can’t really promise anything, but I’ll make some calls.”

Trentson nervously entered the Underdirector’s front office - he didn’t see Dr. Engineer anywhere; he must have been out for lunch. Mira looked up as he came him and just pointed over towards the corner, where a long box stood.

She smiled, and tossed him the letter opener off her desk, which he deftly caught, before the blood drained out of his face when he saw that it was a wickedly sharp bayonet a foot and a half long.

“What the hell is this? Do I look like I’ve got too many fingers? Where the hell did you even get this?”

“You’re asking too many questions. Just open the damn box.”

The blade slid through the packing tape as if it wasn’t there; Trentson had the shivering feeling that bone wouldn’t be much more trouble. The box lid came up.

It was glorious.

A folding-stock select-fire EffiN FAIL. The right arm of the free world, which more than excused it being Yurpan-made. Anything could be excused of the men who armed freedomizers with these. There was a note in the box, along with a beautiful high-quality leather sling, three magazines, and several boxes of ammunition. Trentson set the rifle down for a moment and unfolded the note.

“Compliments of Republic Aerospace...” he read.

Dear Mr. Trentson,

We at Republic Aerospace Engineering view with great concern the current state of security at the Teddy Space Center. In light of your need for better armament, we would like to present to you this rifle, to immediately strengthen the defenses of the Cape against whatever threats may present themselves.

Furthermore, upon review of reports of your diligence and fortitude in your work, and with personal recommendations thereto, we would also like to note that, should you find yourself without employment, Republic Aerospace would gladly offer you a position with our company.

Irving Alexander
Chief of Security

“This is amazing! First they give me a rifle - a good one, then they offer me a job - you managed all this?”

Mira smiled. “I used to work for Republic. I still know some people. Take my advice, though; stay here for now; I think they’ll be impressed if you stick it out here, and I’m sure they’re right about needing to tighten up security. If I know Alexander, he will be genuinely concerned about security out here...”

That was the moment that Dr. Engineer returned, the corners of his mouth still trailing a bit of sloppy sandwich sauce. He looked around the office, at his secretary and the security guard snatching up the rifle, and beamed, wavering on his feet.

“Got a gun then finally, have you, Trentson? About damn time. You and I both know how serious the situation is. Mira, call Lester Growley and tell him I want him to double the security detachment on the Cape, and if he drags his feet I’ll hire private contractors; we’ll defend this place the real Murcan way. In the meantime, we’re going to the range.”

Engineer went into his office and came out again carrying the Badsen machine gun that Trentson had helped him order earlier that year. “Now’s the time to tell you what’s going on, Trentson; we are under attack. I couldn’t reveal who or what before, but now that I know that this room is secure -”

He paused, looked around, and said, “Mira, this room is secure, right?”

“Yes, sir, it is,” she nodded; Engineer continued, “Now that I know that this room is secure, and that I can trust both of you -”

He paused again. “I can trust both of you, right?”

The two of them nodded. “Room secure, trust you, continuing research - that reminds me, Mira, I need you to order some more books, I wrote them down here.” He handed his secretary a rolled up blueprint which she unrolled; one side was covered in the schematics for a space station that the Underdirector had apparently been working on; the other in shakily-written book titles.

Trentson was about to say it, but Mira beat him to it - “Sir, how much did you drink at lunch?”

“Only a glass. Or three. Maybe seven. Hard to count. Might need some of that moonshine you always seem to have floating around, that usually seems to help. All irrelevant now. Trentson, you in particularly need to know what we’re - urp - dealing with.”

“Err - and what’s that, sir?”

“Prepare yourself, Trentson, you may find this somewhat hard to believe. A messenger came to me with the warning, in a dream, one night after I’d consumed enough single-malt scotch to open up the pathways between the stars. We are under attack by mutant space witches. I don’t know where everyone else fits into this, the Zenobians, the Cubics, the Yurpans. Some of them might be breeding them. But no matter where they’re coming from, we need to defeat them all. Destroy them utterly. That’s why I have these mercury-tipped bullets. They’re the best for killing space witches, same as this Badsen; it’s steeped in powers unimaginable and...”

At this point Dr. Engineer noticed that both Mira and Trentson were wearing blank stares. Wearing faces - wearing whose faces?

“Sir,” Trentson said, “maybe it would be best if I took you home so you could sober up a little? I know it’s a stressful time, and you need to submit that budget soon - but you can’t work in this shape.”

Dr. Engineer was working feverishly, now, late at night. They would finally close the gap between Murca and the Zenobians. They'd be shown what was what. And what was more, he knew that no mutant space witches could withstand the furious might of the Saturn V that would rise up before them some time next year. And beyond the moon, his astronauts be safe. He would send some "test articles" with them - to be empowered by the strange energies out there. MASA would grow stronger against this menace...

Dr. U.M. Engineer's MASA Plan, Fall 1972

Budget: 13 MB

Hardware Procurement:

None.

Research & Development:

2x team Saturn V (12 MB)

Remaining Budget: 1 MB

Astronaut Management:

I don't actually know what my available crews are, aside from Olds's crew. I'm not quite sure how crew experience works, either, so I'm not sure whether it's more advantageous to use an experienced crew with a CAP 3 pilot over an unflown crew with a CAP 4 pilot...

So I'm going to have to take a stab at it and hope things go well.

Mission Scheduling:

PAD A: Manned Lunar Pass (assign Olds's crew as Prime, unless I can get a CAP 4 with experience, or if Olds hasn't flown. Assign the third-best crew as backup.)
PAD B: Unmanned Docking Test
PAD C: Unmanned Docking Test (likely to be cancelled, but hey)

Budget to be carried over to 1973: 1 MB
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Plan Pavylyvych Fall 1972

Post by Simon_Jester »

Author's Note:
I fear I do not have time to make a speechification or story post here. Suffice to say that all manner of new security protocols and whatsits are in place, and that the usual strange things no doubt happen around Baikonurek. Also note that the spacetankskis Potemkin and Avrora have been reshuffled in the launch schedule, as not even the Zenobians are mad enough to send Avrora on a manned space mission preferentially immediately after its disastrous crash...

Plan Pavylyvych Fall 1972

Budget: 29 megarubleoids

Research and Development
5 teams' research on Duet: 10 MB

Total: 10 MB
Remaining budget: 19 MB

Hardware Purchase

Purchase 3 A-Series Rockets: 9 MB
Purchase 2 Booster Stages: 8 MB
Purchase 1 Docking Module: 2 MB

Total: 19 MB
Remaining budget: 0 MB

Cosmonaut Management
Assemble Lapot crew
JKERMAN/???/???

If you can't find a compatible crew, form a temporary incompatible crew, using relatively low-skilled cosmonauts; I need this man for this mission, but the exact identities of the other two crewmen matter somewhat less.

Schedule Missions
Schedule unmanned suborbital Lapot flight on Pad A- Space Shuttle Potemkin

Schedule manned lunar pass on Pad B- Space Shuttle Avrora
Primary crew: JKERMAN/???/??? (who else would be mad enough to fly it?)
Backup crew: STREKALOV/YEBANOVY/GRECHKO (STREK STREK STREK)

Mission Go/No-Go Status:
We are GO for unmanned suborbital Lapot flight on pad A- Space Shuttle Avrora
We are GO for joint orbital EVA/docking/Duration D Lapot flight on pad B- Space Shuttle Potemkin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Dr. U. M. Engineer's plan is approved.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

MISSIONS LAUNCH
LAPOT IV, OCTOBER 1972

"Let us hope this flight goes off without the need to dig the shuttle out of the ground this time, comrade." the comissar was not happy. Time after time after time he tightened the security of the spaceport ; And those things just kept happening. He wondered why the politburo was so patient with him - after all, greater men than himself could irritate Moosecow with far less.

"We have ran double checks on all hardware, at great expense of time and effort, comrade comissar. We have every confidence the shuttle's programming is without fault."

"We shall see", comrade Omeganski glanced at the chief designer's console, and his stern and menacing expression briefly changed to something almost unseen, "Say, comrade...can I turn the key this time?"

Syrgy hesitated for a moment, but relented, "By all means, comrade."

Maybe the flight systems were terrorized into behaving, or perhaps it was merely the constant Strakhanovite labors of the cosmodrome's crew, but the suborbital test went splendidly, and provided new datas.

Which would probably be great for cosmonaut morale in light of the quickly approaching December manned flight.

LAPOT V, DECEMBER 1972
"The capitalists have never done anything remotely like this, comrades! Not even close!"

"We have done first-orbit rendezvous before..."

"Yes, but not with two launches, spaced less than twenty minutes apart! This time, not one but TWO vehicles will have been in space for less than one orbit before a rendezvous is accomplished! And we are doing a great many things, too, that will bring glouries to the Onion!"

Syrgy's cheerful attitude was somewhat of a surprise to the launch control crew. The man was full of energy and vigor, showing the Pravda reporters around, explaining the workings of missions control stations and details of the mission. Perhaps it were the fifteen minutes the Chief Designer now took out of each day for rest and excercise, or maybe the recent streak of successes enjoyed by research staff.

Vasily Mishingun thus decided to delay slightly the reports of American engine and rocket tests. No sense ruining Syrgy's mood now, before the big flight.

Comrade cosmonaut Jebediah Kerman was sitting at the communications station in his favorite Hawaiian shirt, feet up on the console, a huge vodka cigar smoking slowly in the ashtray. He spoke cheerfully into a big silver microphone, "Potemkin, Potemkin, stand by. Zvezda is ready for launch. Hang on to your ushankas!"

"Excellent encourangement, comrade cosmonaut, but perhaps...", the doctor tried a suggestion, but Jebediah extended his hand.

"Talk to the hand, man. They are cool guys, they can handle a bit of banter!"

The doctor tried to think of a retort, but the first launch was initiated before he could deliver it. Jeb watched the rocket rise with positive glee.

"All engines operating perfectly, comrade Chief Designer", U.Z. Engineerski reported dutifully, "Staging complete...final maneuver to insertion..."

After some brief tension, a row of green lights lit on the huge failure board, "We have insertion. Payload systems running...Zvezda module reports active, comrades. We are ready to receive the tender cares of our brave comrade cosmonauts!

The comissar twitched slightly. Cosmonaut Kerman leapt from his seat and let out a short sigh of awe when he saw the second rocket ignite.

"Oh man! This one has people in it! I want to ride on one of THOSE!", he yelled, unknowingly saving U.Z. Engineerski from the tender cares of the NKVDVROM by distracting the comissar.

"Comrades!", the flight's commander, cosmonaut Savinykh, reported, "This was an excellent flight to orbit. We have completed insertion. We have a radar lock on the Zvezda module."

Engineerskis flipped through their manuals and walked the cosmonauts thorugh flight procedures. The mission plan was ambitious indeed: the Lapot had aboard a special maneuvering module, which allowed a cosmonaut to operate independently of his spacecraft. That would be tested before the docking, to ensure the crew would have capability to repair any problems.

When all checkouts were completed, and all cosmonauts were in their Sokol pressure suits, all that was left for mission controllers was to watch, wait and listen.

"This is Lazarev. I have exited the airlock. I am now outside the ship, still on a tether. I will now perform a systems check on the mobility unit. Stand by."

The doctors chattered excitedly at their station, watching comrade Lazarev's vital signs.

"The mobility unit is active. All thrusters and control systems are working. I am disconnecting the tether."

Lazarev's heart rate spiked rapidly. Someone started tapping a pencil on his console. The comissar snatched and broke it in half after only half a minute.

"I am maneuvering...about...twenty metres from the shuttle...the units is easy to operate..."

"Comrade, your heart rate is too high.", sudenly even Jeb was serious, "We recommend you increase oxygen flow."

"I...understand..."

Minutes passed. Lazaver's pulse dropped slightly as he went down the checklist, but the increased again. The doctors conferred and made a recommendation to scrub the rest of the planned EVA activities.

"Laz, old dog, you're doing great!", Jeb tried to keep Lazarev's spirits up.

"Tell...the...little green Kerbalistani comrade...that I...appreciate his..."

"Comrade, this can't go on.", the doctor was having a mild panic attack himself, "He's hyperventillating and in danger of losing consciousness!"

"Bring him back", Syrgy decided.

"Okayski. Laz, the chief designer is ordering you to come back into the ship."

"No, I can do this...just three positions left, stand by..."

Seven more minutes passed. Minutes full of horror (for the medical crews) and just plain old nervous apprehension (for everyone else).

"Comrades, this is Potemkin. Comrade Lazarev is back aboard the spacecraft, alive and well. He has completed all assigned tasks. He is rehydrating now, and I feel confident we can let him rest durking docking."

Tension seemed to escape everyone, but this wasn't the end of the day yet. Preparations were undertaken for the upcoming docking with the Zvezda module.

To everyone's relief, it went without trouble. The crew proceeded to perform joint maneuvers with the docking module, boosting their orbit to more than 2,500 kilometres using its fuel supplies. The flight soon settled into a comfortable routine, with many experiments performed - especially radiation-measurements and observation of various biological specimens during the shuttle's dipping in and out of the Ven Allan belts.

Twelve days later, they were back home.

Note:

The prestige gain is minimal, and the game has, for some reason, decided the mission was a duration-a one. I checked, though, and the milestone is considered hurdled as far as lunar landings are concerned.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fall 1968 status

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 10: THE CHROME AGE
Time is: Spring 1973

Launch windows: Mercury, Venus, Jupiter

MURCA
TEDDY SPACE CENTER
Dr. U.M. Engineer still couldn't quite come to head with how the mighty Saturn V test articles emerged from the filthy metal shack that served as the TSC's VAB. In fact, he had boarded up his office window in order not to watch this odd spectactle of non-euclidean violation of all known physics.

Otherwise he could not concentrate on playing mind games with the scrawny government tax auditor sitting in his office. Not that Engineer was any good at it. He always handled machines better.

"Uh-huh. Yes. Hmm...no. Maybe. Yes, yes. Oh my.", the little man mumbled to himself, as he went through his papers.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing. No! Holy Jeebus. Hmm. I see. No, no."

Engineer lit up a cigar. He tried not to make his hand shake.

"I am done.", the man suddenly announced, making the Underdirector fall off his chair.

"And? Are in the clear? Can I get back to handling my Saturn?"

"Yes, of course. But your budget will be cut by 5 megabucks."

"Wha...?"

"You went overbudget last year. Shame on you, Underdirector! Shame on you! You should've kept your cleaning expenses smaller! Seriously, ten megabucks on, ah...", the man fished out the proper piece of paper, "...gastrointestinal disinfectants?"

"But...these are crucial to the proper operation of the astronaut and administrative corps!"

"Be that as it may, you must be penalized for not sticking to your arbitrarily assigned monetry resources."

The stick of a man got up and left. Dr. Engineer started to frantically go over his budget paper, seeing where else he could hide the Director's alcohol expenses.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 110 megabucks

Astronauts in XMS-2 program:

Crew I:
OLDS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 3 ; MOOD: 24 (Pilot)
GORDON - CAP 0, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 52 (LM Pilot/EVA specialist)
WILLIAMS - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 62 (Docking specialist)

Crew II:
MCCANDLESS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 ; MOOD: 71 (Command pilot)
CUNNINGHAM - CAP 1, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 66 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
ANDERS - CAP 0, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 40 (Docking specialist)

Crew III:
ENGLE - CAP 4, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 78 (Command pilot)
COLLINS - CAP 0, LM 3, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 70 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
BRAND - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 68 (Docking Specialist)

Crew IV:
MUSGRAVE - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 68 (Command pilot)
FREEMAN - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 73 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
CHAFFEE - CAP 0, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 64 (Docking Specialist)

Crew V:
OVERMEYER - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 68
FULLERTON - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 78
EVANS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 68

Unassigned astronauts:
RAVENSBURG - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 1 - will retire next season
SUITCASE - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 57
BROWN - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 9 - will retire next season
ROCKET - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 2 ; MOOD: 64 - will retire next season
LOOPY - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 22
MAY - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 4, END 2 ; MOOD: 47  - will retire next season
HAISE - CAP 4, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 32
EISELE - CAP 0, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 29
BEAN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 ; MOOD: 81
CRIPEN - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 73
HARTSFIELD - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1 ; MOOD: 68
PETERSON- CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 58
MCKAY - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 58
HENIZE - CAP 1, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 68

Other astronauts:
CARR - physical washout, spring 1972
TRULY - physical washout, spring 1972
WEITZ - physical washout, spring 1972
SWIGERT - retired spring 1972, elected to Congress.
CONRAD - retired fall 1971
BARNESTI - retired spring 1971
REXMODEM - retired fall 1968
BORMAN - retired fall 1968
KNIGHT - retired fall 1967
FLASHHEART - retired fall 1967
MODEMJR - retired spring 1965
CUNTSER - retired fall 1965
KELLY - retired spring 1965
MCCAIN - retired fall 1963
HARDBEEF -  retired spring 1963
OHJESUS - DECEASED, MERCURY IX
JOHNSON - DECEASED, MERCURY XVI

Programs running: Explorer, Ranger, Mighty Strapons, Atlas, Titan, Mercury, XMS-2, EVA Suits, Kicker-B, Docking, SATURN V MURCA FUCK YEAH

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: 
Launch Pad A, Manned Lunar Pass, XMS-2/Saturn V, Prim. Olds/Gordon/Williams, Bkp. McCandles/Cunningham/Anders
Launch Pad B, Unmanned docking test, XMS-2/B-Titan
Launch Pad C, Unmanned docking test, XMS-2/B-Titan

ZENOBIA
BAIKONUREK
"...and in closing, the people of the Zenobian Onion congratulate their techno-socialist comrades of the Baikonurek Cosmodrome for their heroic thought delayed efforts to get a mang - a New Zenobian Mang, da - to walk on the Moon!"

The First Secretary's speechification's sudden ending was a shock to many at Baikonurek. With a speech lasting only three hours, even in the sizzling-hot Boratistani summer sun, Stanislav Shroomanski showed as well as he could that his prior enthusiasm and cheerful support for the space program was waning. But how could this be? Wasn't comrade Shroomanski the greatest? The newest of New Zenobian Mangs, the stalwart defender of commienism?

That hit morale hard, and that was despite the amusement provided by Jebediah Kerman, who urged the flight crews and rocket engineers every day to "just get over it and let me fly already!". Such an amusing and enthusiastic little green fellow, da!

Current funds: 96 megarubloids

Cosmonauts in Lapot program:

Crew I:
KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 3 ; MOOD: 37 (Pilot)
KOVALYANOK - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 4  ; MOOD: 45 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
ZHOLOBOV - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3  ; MOOD: 57 (Docking specialist)

Crew II:
SAVINYKH - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 81
LAZAREV - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2  ; MOOD: 34
MAKAROV - CAP 0, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 40

Crew III:
STREKALOV - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 66
YEBANOVY - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2  ; MOOD: 41
GRECHKO - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 2  ; MOOD: 53

Crew IV:
JKERMAN - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 66
VOLISHIN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 3, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 71
NEFARTNYI - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2  ; MOOD: 34

Cosmonauts not assigned to programs:
LEBEDEV - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 73
SEREBROV - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 58
BEREZOVOI - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 58
GURRAGCHAA - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 73
ATKOV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 63
IVANOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 58
JAEHN - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 4 ; MOOD: 73
BELOUSOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 ; MOOD: 62
ZYKOV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 77
ZAIKIN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 77
REMEK - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 4, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 77

Other cosmonauts:
BORISOV - Retired, spring 1972
FILLYERESKI - Retired, spring 1972
SOLOVYEV - Physical washout, Spring 1972
KLIMUK - Deceased, Zond 1, Fall 1971
BRZECZYSZCZ - Deceased, Zond 1, Fall 1971
RUKAVISHNIKOV - retired spring 1972
SMIRNOFF - retired spring 1972
IVANCHENKOV - retired fall 1971
LEBEDEV - retired fall 1971
MAMETOV - joined the Red Army in 1969. 
PETROV - imprisoned for re-education in Spring 1969
FAAABIO  - retired spring 1969
BEREGOVOY - retired spring 1969
YEBANOV - retired spring 1968
ALEXANDROV - washed out in training, fall 1967
DIGADITCH - left to join the Red Army, spring 1967
NIKOV - retired Fall 1966
DOSTAROVASKI - Forcibly retired, Fall 1964
TITOV - Retired Spring 1964
IVANOVICH - Grounded due to lung cancer
VLADIMIRENSKY  - Deceased, training accident
IVANOV - Deceased, VOSTOK VII

Programs running: Sputnik, Cosmos satellite, Lunar Probe,A-Series, Proton, Booster stage, Voskhod, EVA Suits, Docking module, Lapot, Kicker-B, N-1, Duet Lander

Scheduled missions: 
Launch pad A, Unmanned suborbital, Lapot/B-A Series
Launch pad B, MANNED LUNAR PASS, Lapot/B-Proton, JKERMAN THE THRILLMASTER in command!
Launch pad C, None
GM Notes:

Well, comrades...the big day, eh? :D

Frankly, I feel that despite the Murcan lead in heavy rocketries and constant meddling with budgets, the Zenobians are still closer to an actual landing. Their lunar recon is done, their docking program is done, and now they are going around the Moonski.

Of course, the murcans are shooting for a lunar pass first, so who knows, they might actually pull this off despite the -4 penalty for not landing a probe yet :D

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Office of the Underdirector
MASA Administration
The Cape

The new year was upon him. Christmas had passed without him being shot at. New Year's - he was sure that was just a stray bullet fired by a drunken reveller. He'd drunk enough to not remember the rest of the night.

There was a voice on the radio. A woman's voice, soft-spoken, reading out numbers. Different numbers. All the time, different numbers. There was a pattern in there somewhere. There had to be.

Unraveling the secrets of the numbers was closing in on an obsession. Engineer had gone so far to give up drinking. He needed his mind clear. The tape recorder was rolling quietly in the corner, preserving the transmissions for later study.

Nothing was clear. All was illusion.

...and it was midnight again. The corridor outside was dark, lit up only occasionally by a guard wandering through with a flashlight. Mira was sitting outside, going through the budgets again for him. She'd already helped some by sending some of her poitín the Director's way; he still had no idea where she was getting it.

Maybe she could help.

Dr. Engineer went and opened his door; his secretary put down the reports she'd been studying and looked up at him. "What can I do for you?" she said, smiling. Smiling sweetly. Ever too sweetly. Too awake.

"How do you do it?" he asked.

"Do what?'

"Stay this fresh this late. It's... it's unnatural, is what it is."

"It's... complicated. Meditation is a big part of it. Some of the other bits - elf magic is what."

Engineer was confused. "Elf... magic... what? Really?"

Mira rolled her eyes. "Because that's a real thing that really exists."

"Err. Yeah. Uh... anyway, that meditation thing, is there a way you can teach me that? It sounds like it could be useful."

She shook her head.

"No!? Why not?"

"Your attention now is divided and weak. You need to be able to clear your mind and relax, and, well, you might find that... difficult. Though you have stopped drinking lately; that would help."

"Yes, it's these damn numbers. All the numbers... who are they meant for? What do they mean? Who's sending them?"

"Numbers station, doctor? Which one is it?"

"They have a - a call sign, of sorts, that they repeat before every series of numbers, it's 419 419 419. I've been writing down the numbers they've been transmitting; you can't make any sense of it, can you?"

Engineer looked up, and saw that Mira's face had gone pale, and her eyes were wide. A sudden chill gripped his spine; he reached back and turned off the radio, took her by the shoulders, looked her in the eye, and whispered, "What do you know?"

The sun was peeping in through the gaps in the boarded-up window. Dr. Engineer was sitting amidst the scattered piles of paper on which he'd been writing down the numbers; Mira was sitting cross-legged on top of his desk, her eyes intent on the paper she had in her hands. Somewhere along the line she'd shed her long skirt and blouse and was now dressed in the strange bodysuit that she'd been wearing underneath. The Underdirector was too tired, confused, and distracted to ask about it.

Engineer looked at the map again. "I still think we should just drop a 'failed satellite launch' on the transmitter. Nigeranium is in the right general direction, and a five hundred kilowatt transmitter will be a big target..."

"Still isn't likely to work. That doesn't leave much, though - we can't bomb it, can't attack the site, can't... we could set up our own transmitter and drown out their signal - they'd just change frequencies, though, or..."

"Wait." Engineer started drawing a diagram on a sheet of paper. "This might take some time to develop - but we can try testing some of the principles in the next few months - we can put a tight-beam transmitter on the S-IVB, like in the old Doc Smith novels, and confuse them a little - see if we get a reaction. We'll have to scramble to get it in along with all the other work that still has to be done before the flight, and it'll be tough work trying to watch their reactions if we can't decode their transmissions, but it'll have to do for now. We'll make progress little by little on this; maybe we'll have something more to go on later this year. But I promise you, we are going to take the 'Scamming Warbler' down."

Dr. Engineer's MASA Plan, Spring 1973

Budget: 110 MB

Hardware Purchase:

1x Titan IIIC (16 MB)
1x Docking Module (3 MB)

Remaining Budget: 91 MB

Research & Development:

5x teams Saturn V (30 MB)
5x teams Kicker-B (10 MB)
5x teams Eagle (10 MB)

Reserved Budget for Eagle development: 10 MB

Remaining Unallocated Budget: 31 MB

Astronaut Management:

None at this time.

Mission Scheduling:

PAD A: Manned Lunar Orbital (Crew III Prime / Crew V Backup)
PAD B: None
PAD C: None

Reserved budget for Lunar Orbital mission hardware: 24 MB (Saturn V + Kicker-B)

Remaining Unallocated Budget for Fall 1973: 7 MB

Missions Go/No-Go Status

PAD A: Manned Lunar Pass has the following flight rules: Saturn V and Kicker-B must both be at or greater than 89%.
PAD B: Unmanned Docking Test is GO
PAD C: Unmanned Docking Test is CANCELLED.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

ACTUALLY:

Revisions to plan:

Reserved Budget for Eagle development: 8 MB (instead of ten)

Additional Reserved budget for Hardware purchases: 8 MB

Remaining Unallocated budget for Fall 1973: 1 MB

Mission Scheduling:

PAD A: As above
PAD B: Orbital Satellite
PAD C: Orbital Satellite
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[maths]

Bozhemoi, the Murcans are willing to send a crew up on a lunar pass at 51% odds of return!?

[grumbles about intrinsic reliability limitations of Comrade Module-bis artificially depressing Zenobian moon shot reliability without ludicrously extensive testing.]
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

???

Unnamed MASA Engineer woke with a start, to find he was sitting in a chair. Not a chair, a seat, which was funny, because he didn't remember anything after having been in his office that morning. And on his left was a window, and on his right were two other seats, with two unfamiliar people sleeping in them, and an aisle past that, and then his brain started making connections like an arthritic telephone exchange operator, and helpfully pointed out the Clipper magazine in the seat-back pocket in front of him, and the Boeing 707 safety card, and a ticket, and some other things; he looked out the window at a vast expanse of blue below, with no land in sight, while taking the ticket out of the pocket. Pan American World Airways. Flight 801. New York to Tokyo. January There was a sheet of paper in the pocket, which he read next. It was a letter inviting him to meet with Hideo Shima, head of Japan's National Space Development Agency.

Something was off. What did "American" mean? Who would misspell Japonia on an official document? The stewardess broke his train of thought, asking him if he wanted anything to drink, and he gratefully accepted a glass of whisky, which he drank half of before closing his eyes again and drifting off to sleep. The exhaustion went so deep into his bones...

???

He was in a hotel. Why didn't he remember?

The TV was on. A presenter was speaking in Anglian tones. Engineer got out of the bed and threw the curtains open. Black taxicabs hurried through the streets below.

He took a drink from the bottle of whisky on the bedside table and got back in bed, too tired to even turn the TV off. The presenter droned in, in words he could barely hear...

???

The space was cramped. Cloth above him. A tent? He was in a sleeping bag. He pushed the mosquito netting away and crawled out, first from the bag then from the tent.

Water was dripping on his head; he could barely see fifty feet through the fog and the trees. Deciduous, temperate trees; wet and cold. There was a hunting rifle in the tent, and a high-visibility orange vest.

Deer season? But it was too late in the year...

???

Engineer woke again in the back seat of a car, winding down a narrow mountain road under overcast skies. Now he was just too tired to care...

???

He'd nodded off leaning against a wall. He really needed to get on a regular sleep schedule.

Inside somewhere. A metal catwalk outside the door, accompanied by noise. He stepped out.

"Jeebus..." Engineer breathed. The cavernous space was filled below by an enormous rocket, lying on its side, as long and hard as anything he could imagine; harder, even. How many engines did it have? It would have to be immensely powerful...

Then he heard shouting, and looked over his shoulder to see a man advancing towards him down the catwalk. As he drew closer, Engineer thought he saw something familiar in the other man's face - who stopped as well, eyes widening. Then he raised a wrench in his right hand...

???

Engineer woke up in bed. His bed. In his house. The local Orseado news broadcast was quietly playing on the TV. He looked over at the clock; couldn't focus his eyes and reached past the bottle and glass on the table to pull the alarm clock close.

Nine A.M. He swung his legs out of bed, and tipped back the few drops of whiskey left in the glass. He thought he'd stopped drinking? That sounded like a bad idea, anyway. He had to be late for work, but...

He opened the front door, still in his bathrobe, and picked up the newspaper. The date said January 10th. Wednesday. He'd stayed late at the office the night before. Had a few drinks, nothing wrong with that. Atwater still on vacation. Spoke with his secretary about something. Must have gone home at some point. Had some weird dreams? The memories were fading.

Still late for work. Getting later.

Wait. Who the hell tells me when I come in to work? I'm in charge, aren't I? Pretty much, at least? Might as well just stay in today, especially with a headache this bad...

Memorandum to the Office of the Commissar wrote:U.Z. Engineerski recommends, in the strongest of terms, that security in and around Baikonurek be strengthened...
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Engineer's story is confusing me. Is he just going crazy?
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

I'm starting to wonder if we're witnessing a quantum collapse of mind states between U M Engineer and U Z Engineerski... certainly that level of alcohol intake has to be fueling some sort of mental link...
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Plan Pavylyvych Spring 1973

Post by Simon_Jester »

Plan Pavylyvych Spring 1973

Comrades of the Baikonurek Cosmodrome! I know this year's new security protocols have affected us all. I too share the pain of the designated... not-drinking-man rota. It is difficult indeed, but we must stand shoulder to shoulder and bear this burden. Only thus can we prove ourselves worthy of those who have come before us, and those who have sacrificed so much to make our victories possible. Only thus can we be sure that no scheming, treacherous Murcanoid rodent-agents, no rats, moles, or even squirrels may penetrate our guard and thus befoul our beloved rockets and moonshuttles!

In the coming months, there will be much to do, as we regain and master the ground first trod by the great heroes Klimuk and Brzęczyszczykiewicz. While not forgetting the tragedies of our past, we look to the future, to new missions made possible by the new technology of the Zig-105 spacetank.

Any space mission is the fruit of the labors of many. But all will agree that we must honor the bold technoproletarian vanguard-cosmonauts at the forefront of international exploration. I must salute two of these heroes in particular- fast friends.

On the one hand, the Strakhanovite of Space, Vasili Lazarev, has proven with his own exertions the indomitable strength of the Zenobian worker, even when floating high above the world in airless, gravityless void! This hero of commienist labor braved thirst and exhaustion to test the new technology of the latest protective and maneuverable spacesuits, teaching his comrades many prized lessons that will serve us well in years to come.

On the other hand, I hail the young comrade from North Kerbalistan, Jebediah Kerman, whose incredible reservoirs of courage and energy amaze us all. Tiny, yet invincibly determined, this man proves the commitment of the North Kerbalistani people to triumph over all obstacles in their path- be the obstacle in question lack of industrial infrastructure, Murcan aerial bombardment, the treacherous degenerate capitalist running dog lackies of South Kerbalistan, lack of industrial infrastructure caused by Murcan aerial bombardment at the behest of the treacherous degenerate capitalist running dog lackies of South Kerbalistan, or even the very law of gravity itself!

Due to his resourcefulness, determination, enthusiasm, and extraordinary reflexes, Comrade Kerman has been selected as primary pilot for the Lapot III space-mission! Along with Comrades Nefartnyi and Volishin, they are our preferred candidates for this trans-lunar mission. As of this writing, he and his fellow cosmonauts of Flight Crew IV are already entering their period of most intensivest training, and we will see little of them outside the cosmonaut training facilities. But I anticipate seeing much of them, when they return from their voyage around the moon!

Budget: 96 megarubleoids

Research and Development
1 team's research on Comrade Module-bis: 2 MB

Total: 12 MB
Remaining budget: 84 MB

Sacrosanct Research Budget

Remaining unallocated budget: 74 MB

Sacrosanct Hardware Budget
Required hardware for manned lunar orbital: 12+4+6 = 22 MB

Total: 22 MB
Remaining unallocated budget: 52 MB

Hardware Purchase

Purchase 1 Proton Rocket: 12 MB
Purchase 1 A-Series Rockets: 6 MB
Purchase 2 Booster Stages: 8 MB
Purchase 1 Comrade Module-bis: 6 MB

Total: 32 MB
Remaining unallocated budget: 20 MB

Schedule Missions
Schedule manned lunar orbital on Pad A- Space Shuttle Potemkin.
Primary crew: KARZANOVSKI/KOVALYANOK/ZHOLOBOV
Backup crew: SAVINYKH/LAZAREV/MAKAROV

Mission Go/No-Go Status:
We are GO for unmanned suborbital Lapot flight on pad A- Space Shuttle Potemkin, boosted A-Series rocket.

We are GO for manned lunar pass on pad B- Space Shuttle Avrora, boosted Proton.
Bon Voyage, Comrades Nefartnyi, Volishin, and of course, Kerman!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Baris Peace Accords - end of the war in Vetnam

Murcan officials, together with South Vetnamese government, have today signed a peace agreement in Baris. South and North Vetnam agree to cease all hostilities and demobilize.

One of the terms of the Accords is that all Murcan military units are to leave Vetnam by the end of 1973. The people of Murca have demanded the end of all western military involvement in the small nation for years now, and it would appear that our boys are finally coming home.

Remember: no spitting! Give the vets a welcome they deserve, after winning FREEDOM for the Vetnamese!

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

MISSIONS LAUNCH
LAPOT VI, APRIL 1973

The final Lapot test flight before the manned lunar flyby was watched by a lot of people. A lot of nervous people and one extremely impatient one.

"What the hell are you dolts waiting for? It's got an engine, it's good to go!", little Jeb Kerman ranted, pacing around the mission control center as engineerskis carefully monitored shuttle Potemkin's flight, "The filthy capitalist dogs will outdo us at this rate! Come on! GO!"

The comissar, just like everybody else, smiled and nodded. The little Kerbalistani should've been thrown out, to be honest, but his enthusiasm awas so endearing that he could get away with a lot, even at Baikonurek.

Fortunately, the flight went splendidly. To Jeb's great excitement, Lapot VII was a go.

HERMES IX, APRIL 1973
"Did you hear, unterdirektor?", Wehrner von Shapp waved a newspaper in the air, "Ze filthy commienist Zenobians are also planning a lunar flyby! Maybe this time it will work out better than the last one, eh?"

"Not that it will matter, hah!", it wasn't Dr. Engineer who answered Shapp's call. The Underdirector wasn't in much shape to answer anything, as he was desperately attempting to fight off his hangover. The VIP gallery was full of other manly patriotic Murcan men, though, who could rant and insult commienists together. And they jumped at the opporunity.

"Down with the reds!", the congressmang from Oho yelled, "We ain't gonna have no bread lines on the Moon!"

Some Marine Corps officer joined in, "Hell yeah!"

The congressman couldn't be left behind by some frog, of course, "Hell yeah? I'd say...FUCK YEAH!"

FUCK YEAH!!!, the entire gallery bellowed, to Dr. Engineer's utter dismay. He clutched his head very tightly, praying for it all to end.

And then it did. Because the main screen in Mission Control began to show off a feed from THE CAPE.

The camera slowly caressed the massive rocket's shapely curves. It panned upwards, across the proudly patriotic writings on the side. Engineer could hear the Marine start to hyperventillate.

The camera then caught a glance of the mighty Saturn V's tip, quivering and ready to penetrate the heavens.

The Marine shuddered and collapsed onto his chair.

But, arousing and exciting as the very sight of the gargantuan behemoth of a rocket was, it was nothing compared to what happened next.

"Ten...nine...eight...go for main engine start...seven....six...ignition sequence start...five...four...three...two...one...ignition and...liftoff!"

Despite THE CAPE being thousands of miles away, Engineer could swear that he felt the ground shudder and shake. His hangover was gone, his miserable and broken attitude was gone...the Saturn was away. It flew. The largest rocket ever built, a behemoth so massive some thought it was an impossibility to construct it, much less launch it into space.

It flew.

"I'm sorry...", the congressmang said. He was stepping uncomfortably from one leg to another, "...excuse me, I have to, uh...use the bathroom...real quick..."

A tremendous sonic boom was caught by reporters at THE CAPE and transmitted into Mission Control.

Common Carter Connoway would've gladly taken five to use the restroom as well, but he had a job to do, and by Jeebus, he always got the job done! Even if he had to do this with a team he had, not the team he wanted.

"Orbital insertion complete. All station report go/no go for trans-lunar injection."

"This is Nine. Magnificent view from up here, everyone! I'd drink one to ol' Bob if I had any!"

One of the engineers grinned mischeviously on hearing that transmission. Connoway noticed it immediately with his hawkish, steely gaze. He saw everything that went on in his control center.

"Please, people, tell me you didn't pack them any booze. For the love of Jeebus, if you did, I'll start tearing people new assholes like, RIGHT THIS INSTANT!"

Predictably, the mischevious grin was gone, and of course nobody admitted to a criminal violation of flight procedures. The flight surgeon made a double check of all crew vitals, just to be sure.

Connoway added another menacing stare, just to make sure the crew knew their place. He sat back down at his console and a tought struck him.

I hope the bastards at least stowed something patriotic, like brandy. Jeebus, wouldn't it be embarassing to have manly murcan men drink vodka or, God forbid, bourbon in orbit?

Connoway's apprehension almost made him miss the cues from his mission control crew and the astronauts themslves, who reported the flight being ready for trans-lunar injection.

The CAPCOM began reading from his checklist, "Nine, execute guidance program 34. Verb 12. Noun 4, 34.245, enter, Noun 6, 12.67, Verb 18, Stage jettison to secure..."

The astronauts confirmed every step, programming the shuttle's flight computer for the maneuver. While this was going on, Dr. Engineer daydreamed about the impossible and unlikely future where hundreds of complex program codes could be stored inside such a computer, and activated with one button press! A man could dream...

"Hermes IX, ready for burn. All systems green. Computer is in control. Stand by."

There was little cue that something happened at all. The interval clock counted down to zero, and telemetry parameters began to change. Of course, for sad pathetic nerds such things were of utmost interest, and thus all engineers watched the readouts like hawks.

"Burn complete, flight. S-IVB jettisoned. We are on the way!"

Since nothing exploded, the press instantly lost interest and disappeared from Houston in seconds.

Flight day 4

"Wow...", Johny Olds whispered. The Hermes shuttle had a proper cockpit, with many forward-facing windows, providing a magnificent view of the Moon, as the spacecraft silently slid on its orbit. They have finished their course correction some time ago, and he had a few minutes to himself, before the spacecraft regained contact with Earth. Johnny used it to admire the Moon.

It was so close. So close, and yet so far away - a merely forty miles or so, yet crossing them would take years more. And, at the same time, it felt as if Johnny could just...step out and walk on the face of it. But he probably never would.

He sighed at the thought, and then remembered something else. The three Murcan astronauts were not the first ones to see this magnificent view. He could almost feel the presence of the two cosmonauts who never returned from their trip, guiding them from the great beyond.

"Johnny!", his co-pilot, Richard Gordon, stuck his head into the cockpit, "We're preparing for the photo shoot, and you have to...Oh my God..."

The cockpit flooded with a blue light. Johnny had to cover his eyes for a moment, as they adjusted, and then witnessed it. A sight, so magnificent, that it would leave a lasting impression on humanity forever.

He knew his crew was not the first one to see it. And he didn't care.

"We gotta get this on film! Get the camera, quick! Come on!"

They scrambled up, snapping photographs - which would, hopefully, get delivered back to Earth intact. But even if they followed the fate of the Zenobians, all three men knew they nevertheless accomplished something incredible and magnificent and extremely manly.

Flight Day 9

"Velocity, right on the line. Attitude, right on the line. Heating up a bit."

"I'll counter, it should even out the temperatures...okay, now it's getting a bit bumpy. More than a bit! Holy crap. Oh man, that was scary, heh..."

"Altitude 170 and dropping. Yeah, the temperature's even now...damn, a lot of clouds over our landing area."

"Nothing to worry about, Nine, visibility is extremely good. We have you on radar, five minutes to contact loss."

"Copy that. Hey, I have a program alarm here...1302?"

"Roger, stand by..."

"...yeah, Nine, 1302 is not critial."

"Copy. Whoah, it's getting choppy...okay now Gordo, switch to..."

The signal was lost. To say mission controllers were nervous would've been a terrible, terrible understatement.

But, just for a change, everything went splendidly. Nothing exploded, and half an hour later, the minishuttle touched down somewhere in central Murca.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

HERMES X, JUNE 1973
Somehow, despite a massive chain of drunken feasts and congratulatory dinners and ticker-tape parades and corruptive interviews with hot reporter chicks and plain old drinking contests all three astronauts who flew on Hermes IX managed to appear to watch the launch of their sister shuttle on its unmanned docking test.

They were, however, dismayed.

"Freakin' limp-dicked science majors", Dick Gordon mumbled under his nose, seeing that failure of a docking test.

LAPOT VII, JUNE 1973
"Did you hear, comrade Kerman?", Robyodov Nefartnyi decided to start up a polite conversation with his command pilot, "The Murcans have failed yet another docking test yesterday!"

Jeb grinned, "That's because they have no flair!"

"Yes, but...", Robyodov stepped from one leg to another to avoid staining his space suit, "...they flew around the moon pretty well."

"Bah, no flair! Zenobians do everything better! Look, no hands!"

"Ack! Watch it, you're going to get it all over me!"

"For Lenon's sake, comrade Kerman!", comissar Omeganski yelled. He was standing there, right by the bus, with five grim and armed NKVDVDROM men, who were ordered to make absolutely sure the cosmonauts would pee on the bus this time.

But they were practically finished. Before the flight crew was allowed to board the bus again, however, careful photographs were taken of the stains, and a detailed protocol was made, signed by all witnesses. There would be no accidents this time, da!

Four hours later, the might Proton ignited its engines, and hurled its payload of spacecraft and cosmonauts towards orbit. The night launch was magnificent, and would surely find its way into a great many Only Pravda publications, provided nobody died on the flight. Comrade Kerman's screams of sheer delight would probably not find themselves released in either case, though.

"We have completed our orbital insertion, comrades! Good outdated and primitive belief system, what a ride! I wanna do it all over again!"

For some reason the sheer insane enthusiasm in Jeb's voice was not enough to make anybody at Baikonurek nervous. They smiled and nodded at the Kerbalistani's zany ways.

"Now, comrades, you will get to ignite your mighty enginoids soon, da? Now we need to run some checkouts, so that..."

"Oh, come ON! Just point us the right way and let's go already!"

"We must ensure..."

"Bah! I ain't gonna do it without any flair, like the capitalists! Robyodov, press the right buttons!"

"But..."

"Press the right buttons I say!"

"Comrade Chief Designer!", a panicked voice of the flight dynamics engineerski cut through the subdued chatter in the bunker, "They are attempting a burn!"

"But they are not in the correct position yet..."

"Hey flight control dudes, why aren't we going? The computer is saying something stupid. Here, let me help."

The radio transmitted some terrifying bangs and clangs and the computer's whining protests, as the command pilot used something heavy to whack the control panel.

"Boshemoi...", the engineerski crossed himself in full view of the comissar, which said something about his state of mind, "...the engines have ignited! Nyet! We must scrub the mission now!"

"Comrade cosmonaut, what are you doing?! You are out of position! You will hurl out into deep space!"

Jeb didn't skip a beat, "Nah, we'll just fly it by ear!"

"No! Help!", some other voice came on the line but was drowned out with another delighted howl.

"Tracking stations are reporting the shuttle is leaving orbit...on some...strange course..."

The flight dynamics engineerski fainted.

Flight Day 4

"Oh hey look, what does this do? And this? Hey, this is cool! Why do we have a gun?"

The crew was in awe. Probably not as much awe as the flight controllers, who after four days and six insane (and physically impossible) maneuvers realized that the shoeplane was in fact roughly on course. They have long since dropped any pretense of trying to control the spacecraft. Jeb was in control now, and he was loving every minute of it.

"Damn but we are close! Hey, control, how about we land real quick, eh? We could beat the damn Murcans right now! I'll just...hey, let go of my hand!"

Sounds of scuffle ensued. Engineerskis listened with ever-growing terror.

"Oh hey control I had to subdue old Rob here, he had a panic attack or something. So yeah, I guess we won't be landing, since my copilot is loco and all. So yeah, see you soon! Hey, I didn't press that button yet!"

The spacecraft fired of its engines again. Comrade cosmonaut Volishin closed his eyes and prayed softly. He just wanted this to be over.

Flight Day 8

Amazingly, the spacetankski survived re-entry, despite being plunged into the atmosphere by an over-enthusiastic and possibly clinically insane Kerbalistani. Displaying incredible instincts and aptitude for seat-of-the-pants flying, Jeb guided the ZiG-105 true though not quite straight, banking and jerking the plane wildly, and laughing ALL THE WAY DOWN.

"Hold on to your pants, comrades, for we are PUTTING THIS BITCH DOWN! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

The terrified ground controller watched the plane do loops and hoops and twists on his radar, "Avrora, you are going in too fast!"

"There is no such thing as 'too fast'!", Jeb yelled back through the radio, "There is only too slow!"

"Avrora, pull up! You are too low! Your gear isn't down! You're going in too steep!", the ground controller screamed in womanly fear as he read pretty much all possible violations that a landing pilot could make, "Abort and go for a second approach!"

The radio carried terrified screams from Jeb's crew.

"AGH NO WE'RE GOING TO DIE!"

"PULL UP, YOU INSANE BASTARD!"

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!"

The Avrora slammed into the runway, quickly covered its entire length, slid off into the grass, turned sideways, rolled to its back and slammed straight into the building containing the radar sets, only to right itself again after going all the way through the structure.

Jeb looked at his crew, grinned and said.

"That was cool. Let's do it again!"

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fall 1968 status

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 10: THE CHROME AGE
Time is: Fall 1973

Launch windows: Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars

MURCA
TEDDY SPACE CENTER
Dr. Engineerski was drowning his sorrows in a bottle. The program's Director, Johnny von Braun, was doing the exact same thing in a different corner of the room. Same for the program's chief accountant, the Director of Research, and the chief of security AND the flight psychologist.

Alcohol vapors might've already displaced all air inside.

"Why...why are they leaving? What am I doing wrong?!", Engineer babbled, "I love those guys...I love 'em...like my children, you know? The ones I don't have, yeah. So why are they leaving? We are doing such aw....awsu....aweshum shtuff, ya know?"

The Underdirector didn't continue, choosing instead to escape the hurtful thoughts about his researchers retiring by passing out on the desk, right into the pile of reports that covered it.

Current funds: 41 megabucks

Astronauts in XMS-2 program:

Crew I:
OLDS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 3 ; MOOD: 43 (Pilot)
GORDON - CAP 0, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 71 (LM Pilot/EVA specialist)
WILLIAMS - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 81 (Docking specialist)

Crew II:
MCCANDLESS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 ; MOOD: 65 (Command pilot)
CUNNINGHAM - CAP 1, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 70 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
ANDERS - CAP 0, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 39 (Docking specialist)

Crew III:
ENGLE - CAP 4, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 80 (Command pilot)
COLLINS - CAP 0, LM 3, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 72 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
BRAND - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 70 (Docking Specialist)

Crew IV:
MUSGRAVE - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 67 (Command pilot)
FREEMAN - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 72 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
CHAFFEE - CAP 0, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 63 (Docking Specialist)

Crew V:
OVERMEYER - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 75
FULLERTON - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 80
EVANS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 70

Unassigned astronauts:

SUITCASE - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 51
LOOPY - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 21
HAISE - CAP 4, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 31
EISELE - CAP 0, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 23 - will retire next season
BEAN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 ; MOOD: 80
CRIPEN - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 72
HARTSFIELD - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1 ; MOOD: 67
PETERSON- CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 57
MCKAY - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 57
HENIZE - CAP 1, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 67

Other astronauts:
BROWN - retired fall 1973
ROCKET - retired fall 1973
RAVENSBURG - retired fall 1973
MAY - retired spring 1973
CARR - physical washout, spring 1972
TRULY - physical washout, spring 1972
WEITZ - physical washout, spring 1972
SWIGERT - retired spring 1972, elected to Congress.
CONRAD - retired fall 1971
BARNESTI - retired spring 1971
REXMODEM - retired fall 1968
BORMAN - retired fall 1968
KNIGHT - retired fall 1967
FLASHHEART - retired fall 1967
MODEMJR - retired spring 1965
CUNTSER - retired fall 1965
KELLY - retired spring 1965
MCCAIN - retired fall 1963
HARDBEEF -  retired spring 1963
OHJESUS - DECEASED, MERCURY IX
JOHNSON - DECEASED, MERCURY XVI

Programs running: Explorer, Ranger, Mighty Strapons, Atlas, Titan, Mercury, XMS-2, EVA Suits, Kicker-B, Docking, SATURN V MURCA FUCK YEAH

Scheduled missions: 
Launch Pad A, Manned Lunar Orbital, XMS-2/Saturn V, Prim. Engle/Collins/Brand, Bkp. Overmeyer/Fullerton/Evans
Launch Pad B, None
Launch Pad C, None

ZENOBIA
BAIKONUREK
"The biggest question at today's metting is, of course, what to do with our little green comrade Kerbalistani."

Syrgy Pavylyvych was serious. After the harrowing flight full of terror for its crew, many things happened in the space program. Comrade Zholobov made several unflattering remarks about North Kerbalistan in full view of the comissar, and was ordered to retire by the Kreamlin. Only Syrgy's last-minute intervention managed to convince the Politburo to let him accomplish the Fall's planned mission before he was forced to leave.

Comrade Lazarev, though, clashed heavily with Jebediag Kerman, and exchanged no few unflattering words with him. The epic row ended with Lazarev handing in his resignation at the administrative office.

So the question was an important one, and every member of Pavylyvych's inner circle had a different idea on how to handle it. Sadly, program reports and other work had to lay by the wayside until the problem was adequately solved.

At least the Avrora survived the second major accident of its career with only a few dents here and there.

Current funds: 55 megarubloids

Cosmonauts in Lapot program:

Crew I:
KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 3 ; MOOD: 39 (Pilot)
KOVALYANOK - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 4  ; MOOD: 47 (LM Pilot/EVA Specialist)
ZHOLOBOV - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3  ; MOOD: 59 (Docking specialist) - will retire next season

Crew II:
SAVINYKH - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 83
LAZAREV - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2  ; MOOD: 36 - will retire next season
MAKAROV - CAP 0, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 42

Crew III:
STREKALOV - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 70
YEBANOVY - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2  ; MOOD: 45
GRECHKO - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 2  ; MOOD: 57

Crew IV:
JKERMAN - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 85
VOLISHIN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 3, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 90
NEFARTNYI - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2  ; MOOD: 53

Cosmonauts not assigned to programs:
LEBEDEV - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 72
SEREBROV - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 57
BEREZOVOI - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 57
GURRAGCHAA - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 72
ATKOV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 62
IVANOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 57
JAEHN - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 4 ; MOOD: 72
BELOUSOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 ; MOOD: 61
ZYKOV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 76
ZAIKIN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 76
REMEK - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 4, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 76

Other cosmonauts:
BORISOV - Retired, spring 1972
FILLYERESKI - Retired, spring 1972
SOLOVYEV - Physical washout, Spring 1972
KLIMUK - Deceased, Zond 1, Fall 1971
BRZECZYSZCZ - Deceased, Zond 1, Fall 1971
RUKAVISHNIKOV - retired spring 1972
SMIRNOFF - retired spring 1972
IVANCHENKOV - retired fall 1971
LEBEDEV - retired fall 1971
MAMETOV - joined the Red Army in 1969. 
PETROV - imprisoned for re-education in Spring 1969
FAAABIO  - retired spring 1969
BEREGOVOY - retired spring 1969
YEBANOV - retired spring 1968
ALEXANDROV - washed out in training, fall 1967
DIGADITCH - left to join the Red Army, spring 1967
NIKOV - retired Fall 1966
DOSTAROVASKI - Forcibly retired, Fall 1964
TITOV - Retired Spring 1964
IVANOVICH - Grounded due to lung cancer
VLADIMIRENSKY  - Deceased, training accident
IVANOV - Deceased, VOSTOK VII

Programs running: Sputnik, Cosmos satellite, Lunar Probe,A-Series, Proton, Booster stage, Voskhod, EVA Suits, Docking module, Lapot, Kicker-B, N-1, Duet Lander

Scheduled missions: 
Launch pad A, Manned Lunar Orbital, Lapot/B-Proton, Crew I/Crew II
Launch pad B, None
Launch pad C, None
GM Notes:

God damn but that Zenobian flight was exciting. First a failure on TLI, then a failure on landing, but both thankfully non-lethal, and the milestone is considered hurdled by the game.

Of course, the fact the Murcan mission went perfectly despite the -4 bonus is awesome,too. It took balls to execute that flight, and now the race is literally head to head!

Though of course Zenobians sitll have their lander research to a vastly higher level than the Murcans, and the photo recon is, well...

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Premier Stanislav Shroomanski - friend of children and small animals - congratulates the great cosmonautskis together with the turkey farm of Lennongrad. A great feast, wherein the Premier will personally join in decaffeinating the turkeys, shall be prepared in the honor of our most heroic cosmo-comradeskis!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Did you have to savescum for a flight like that or did it just happen by virtue of having Jeb in the crew?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

LaCroix wrote:Did you have to savescum for a flight like that or did it just happen by virtue of having Jeb in the crew?
No savescumming, it really did happen like this.

The description just...followed naturally :P

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

PeZook wrote:
LaCroix wrote:Did you have to savescum for a flight like that or did it just happen by virtue of having Jeb in the crew?
No savescumming, it really did happen like this.

The description just...followed naturally :P
OK, that means that in order to improve my designs in KSP, I simply need to find a way to get Jeb off the rooster...