Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by PeZook »

Washingtoff, Murca
The White Dwelling

"The captain is sick, sir.", the National Security Mang commented.

"I can see that", Teddy jabbed his finger in the report on his desk, "I won't comment on the utter and complete shame that letting this man command an attack submarine brought us. Just how incompetent was the Ironhowler administration?"

The rhethorical question remained unanswered. Captain Joe Blower's psychiatric evaluation shocked everyone: the man had apparently thought he was on a war patrol against Thanasian merchant shipping, and that the Salvation War never ended. And now, since torpedoing a ship in somebody's national waters is generally frowned upon, the world was on the brink of nuclear war.

"Throw him to the wolves", the President declared, "I don't care if he's mentally ill ; The Zenobians demand blood."

"Actually, sir, while I absolutely admire your capability to make tough decisions in a time of crisis, I believe that is not all."

"Listen, James, you know I dislike these little bombs you like to drop on me. We have national security briefings in the morning so that you can tell me in advance what to expect."

The Mang blushed a bit, "I apologize, but the note was just delivered from the Zenobian embassy. The Zenobians demand a return of all their citizens that have been, uh, abducted by the Hard and Rigid."

Teddy snorted. Some of his advisors did the same.

"Abducted? They were a bunch of political prisoners!"

"We know that, but the Zenobians claim they were innocent travellers. Their ambassador said it is not negotiable."

"Well, fuck them. We already apologized and will punish the people responsible, but I'm not repatriating those people!"

Suddenly, one of the phones on the President's desk rang. He picked up quickly, since it was the Crimson Phone - not quite as important as the Red one right next to it, but still very, very bad when it rang.

"This is the President. Yes...no. Tell them to stand down. Only if there's a confirmed detonation. Yes, you heard me right."

Teddy replaced the handset with a slightly trembling hand, "NORAD says they've detected a missile launch in Zenobia."

There was silence. The President picked up the Red phone, which connected him directly to the Zenobian Premier.

"Premier Shroomanski, we have just detected a missile launch from your territorry. I have to be blunt: is this an attack?"

Everyone in the Ovaltine office froze, listening intently. The tinny voice coming from the headset was impossible to understand, though, so they had to wait. Seconds passed, as the President exchanged half-words with the Premier.

"Listen up, Stas. I am not...listen to me! I am not giving you those people. My electorate would..."

The Premier unleashed a long tirade at that. One of the generals left the office to take a call, and returned very agitated.

"No, you listen to me! You know perfectly well there's no damn missile or bomber gap! The SAC has enough weapons to wipe you out, and there's not a damn thing you could do about it!"

Teddy frowned, "Hardball, eh?"

There was more angry talk from the premier. The National Security Mang tried to hug the agitated general, obviously not able to bear the stress.

"How about that. You get your people back, and we get our pilots."

The tone of the talk changed slightly. People began to relax.

"Under the table. But you stand down your forces as a gesture of goodwill."

The President put down the phone after another minute or so. His face was weary and sad.

"Gentlemen, I have received assurances that Zenobia would be willing to stand down and release our spy plane pilots and...covert operatives they are holding in exchange for the prisoners brough here aboard the Hard and Rigid."

"That...", the agitated general began, "...is a really good deal, Mr. President."

"These people are political prisoners, Bill."

"So are our pilots."

There was more silence and heavy looks, before the President made another hard call.

"Send them back."

Throughout the country, telephones began to ring, and armed FBI agents entered several homes. One of these phones rang on THE CAPE, in the lavish office temporarily occupied by Dr. Sam Francisco, Acting Director of MASA.

"Dr Francisco, this is Dick Fisher of the FBI. Your man Drago has applied for asylum, and has been denied. Consider him a foreign national and detain him in his quarter until my men can come and collect him for extradition to Zenobia. These orders come straight from the top."
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Drago continued working, oblivious to the political shenanigans going on around him. He knew that if he kept at it, the Murcans would be able to win the space race, and he would have a home here. Then Sam Francisco picked up a ringing telephone.

Drago hoped it wasn't too important, they were making significant progress and interruptions prevented work from being done.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

"Dr Francisco, this is Dick Fisher of the FBI. Your man Drago has applied for asylum, and has been denied. Consider him a foreign national and detain him in his quarter until my men can come and collect him for extradition to Zenobia. These orders come straight from the top."
"Mr Fisher, that man was making efforts that were producing great leaps and bounds in Murican space technology. I cannot allow him to leave at such a critical time, especially since we have only just got him back. He might as well be a Murican, he's that good at his job, and dammit, we need people like him." Sam says angrily, already drafting a stern letter to the president in his head. He looked over at Drago, pity in his eyes, hoping for a break.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

"Dr. Francisco, that is not negotiable. If you try to obstruct this, we can both lose our jobs, and I'm sure as hell not risking my pension over some frickin' Zenobian communoid. My men will be there in two hours, and Drago better be packed and ready to go."

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

PeZook wrote:"Dr. Francisco, that is not negotiable. If you try to obstruct this, we can both lose our jobs, and I'm sure as hell not risking my pension over some frickin' Zenobian communoid. My men will be there in two hours, and Drago better be packed and ready to go."
"Damn it man, we might just win the race with his help. And God knows if we lose, I'm going to make damn sure you lose that pension" Sam says, slamming down the phone with rage. He turns to the Zenobian "Drago? We have a problem..."
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

A note: Drago has already spent over a year working for MASA before he was abducted ; It's unlikely his newest contributions would be crucial, or even significant ; You've moved on while he was back in Zenobia doing work on the Vostok. At gunpoint.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

PeZook wrote:A note: Drago has already spent over a year working for MASA before he was abducted ; It's unlikely his newest contributions would be crucial, or even significant ; You've moved on while he was back in Zenobia doing work on the Vostok. At gunpoint.
Spoiler
Shhh. I was cross, so I skimmed some details. Anyway, I cant stop anything. I'm just a scientist.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"Don't Worry Francisco. I'm sure with enough effort, I can solve this 'seal' problem as well." Drago says as he gives the man a smile. He's happy to be in the land of Coca-Cola and apple pie, the world is right again in his mind.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:"Don't Worry Francisco. I'm sure with enough effort, I can solve this 'seal' problem as well." Drago says as he gives the man a smile. He's happy to be in the land of Coca-Cola and apple pie, the world is right again in his mind.
"Its... it's not that Drago. That call was from the FBI... They're deporting you. You had best run if you're going to see fax before you leave. I'll pack your belongings..." Sam says, despondently "I'm sorry Drago"

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

God.

Ivan Drago. He's like a big gay ping-pong ball.

PING PONG DIPLOMACY!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Drago is quiet, he finishes some notes he was writing, and then leaves Sam in the lab. He goes to the barracks, and they talk.

"Drago, what's wrong?"

Drago doesn't speak, he doesn't want it to end.

"They're sending me back." He rushed to hug and kiss Fax, for one last time.

It is the kiss of two people saying goodbye.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam walks to Fax's quarters, and slowly packs Drago's things into a bag, though not a very big one. He is visibly upset by what has occurred.
Spoiler
I feel entirely saddened by this whole thing :(

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Yeah, we went from comedy to tragedy really quick.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Nuclear weapons make everything serious

EDIT: Except for Bragulans. Nothing could possibly make Bragulans serious

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

At this point, Comrade Syrgy, for one, is honestly unsure why we want him back. He is far from irreplaceable, and it is increasingly unlikely that having him work at forced labor will contribute usefully to problems being solved by volunteers. We're not that short on aerospace engineers.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Comrade! It is a matter of principle! We cannot have a Zenobian engineer working on the Murican space program! It goes against the very nature of the glorious new patriotic Zenobian Mang and his ideals!

And be assured, this race into space that we are part of is but one of the many battlefields upon which our idealogy is fighting on.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

"Da, da. But if he were a New Zenobian Mang, he would not have defected in the first place. He would certainly not have defected twice."

[shakes head mournfully, staring into space]

"I wish these things were simpler. All this... this... defection, counterdefection, agents, double agents, triple agents, spies, sabotage, treachery, accusations, counteraccusations, threats, counterthreats... bah! I should get back to my rocket science; it's easier."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

You guys suck at group-writing a hilarious situation. :P

Beside, why should Drago allow the Murican agents to do with him as they please? He can still run for his life to some sanctuary country.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zixinus wrote:You guys suck at group-writing a hilarious situation. :P
It's a characterization thing. Syrgy's a basically serious character; someone has to be the straight man in all this comedy. Also, he's chronically gloomy and dislikes gulags.

I have some absurdities planned for him later on, of course, but this isn't really his show. Wait till Shroomy gets back online; he'll school everyone.
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Drago should get a super sikrit mission from the Murcan director to propose a gentleman's agreement with the Zenobians. That way he has a reason not to run, and we can all get on with making shuttles instead of balls capsules.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Not to mention, this is pretty much a life or death situation for Drago, and for Fax, this isn't sunshine and roses either.
Drago and Fax looked at each other. Fax came to Sam.

"We're gonna book. If you want to stop us, now is your chance. But if you have a decent bone in your body, you'll give us a head start."
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

OOC - As for some suggestions for Phase II cosmonauts (sleep deprived probably being an asset here, and apologies in advance for the botched Russifications):

Valentina Vladimirovna ANDREYEVNA
Irina Stanislava SHROOMANSKAYA - I'll leave you to shudder at the implications of this one re: the Premier's sex life
Aleksei Eduardovich FOLEYEV
Yevgenii Grigorievich VASHOLTOV
Nikita Borisovich BADENOV - bastard son of the brave patriot who sabotaged the Murcan rocket program a few years back
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

I second Comrades Foleyev, Vasholtov and Badenov. Especially the son of the Hero who denied the Murcans their instruments and allowed us to come first.

Comrades Andreyevna and Shroomanskaya will have to wait though. We can't recruit women yet, since the random event didn't fire.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

We *do* have several people who want to join with cosmonaut names.

I'm still thinking about a plan for Spring 1961, but hopefully I can conjure one up tonight.
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Still not enough. Second class is something like 9 cosmonauts. and we've had 3 volunteers, I think