Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by ChaserGrey »

Yes you did. Dirty Commienist. :lol:
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Reviews Murcan plan]

Ugh. Don't know if I can afford to start N-1 in 1970. Then again, the Murcans still have many megabucks worth of docking tests to do before they can achieve anything...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Yep. I'd still say it's too close to call. I can see us doing a lot of doubling up- launch an unmanned docking mission with one shuttle, then send a crew up in the other shuttle to snag the on-orbit docking module and perform another test. After all, we still have the D duration step to take care of, and probably a few EVAs as well (note to self: check current and max reliability on EVA suits).

Granted, EVAs don't give us any prestige at this stage, but they're also fairly easy to tack on if you're sending up a crew anyway- so there's really no excuse for not having your suits as reliable as possible before you head to the Moon. Better safe than sorry...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Simon_Jester wrote:[Reviews Murcan plan]

Ugh. Don't know if I can afford to start N-1 in 1970. Then again, the Murcans still have many megabucks worth of docking tests to do before they can achieve anything...
My hope is that the prestige boost from the XMS-2 flight will give me a big enough budget to start Saturn-V and perhaps Kicker-B and Docking Module in Spring 1970. S-V is the single biggest investment left. I would have started it sooner but the 90 Mb cost made it incredibly prohibitive.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

We'll see how the budget goes. It might be better to start the DM first, though- we need to get those missions started soonest. We won't need the Saturn V ready until after our docking skill has been raised and the LM is through the R&D phase.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

If the budget is not big enough to start S-V AND the DM, we'll go with the DM and Kicker-B and get as much R&D done as possible, and leave some funds for the S-V.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:My hope is that the prestige boost from the XMS-2 flight will give me a big enough budget to start Saturn-V and perhaps Kicker-B and Docking Module in Spring 1970.
Don't bet on it- DM is 15, Kicker-B is 12, and Saturn V is 90. That totals 117 MB, which leaves you next to no money for research, even assuming you get a 30-40 MB budget increase next year over what you had going this year.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hmmm...well, I need to get the ball rolling on the rocker sooner or later, and I may not have that much cash in one block for sometime. We'll see how it works out.

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:My hope is that the prestige boost from the XMS-2 flight will give me a big enough budget to start Saturn-V and perhaps Kicker-B and Docking Module in Spring 1970.
Don't bet on it- DM is 15, Kicker-B is 12, and Saturn V is 90. That totals 117 MB, which leaves you next to no money for research, even assuming you get a 30-40 MB budget increase next year over what you had going this year.
A little more expensive than that - US DM is 18, Kicker-B is also 18. That makes 126 MB total.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

So, it is how I thought it would be. I will be too busy today to make an update, and we leave at midnight.

So...see you in a week! I encourage you to be silly in the meantime.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Have a good trip! I'm sure we can come up with something suitably disastrous in the meantime.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

ChaserGrey wrote:Granted, EVAs don't give us any prestige at this stage, but they're also fairly easy to tack on if you're sending up a crew anyway- so there's really no excuse for not having your suits as reliable as possible before you head to the Moon. Better safe than sorry...
I think you still get +1 prestige for an EVA or a manned docking, even after everything else is considered. But you'd know better than I.

Hmmm. I think I'll do a Pavylyvych-Shroomanski conversation, predicated on the assumption of a Murcan minishuttle success in Spring 1969. Assuming the Murcans succeed it becomes canon.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

For those of you playing at home, 1.0.0 is out.

Also, this one is just straight cheating:

:P I found the config file - there are now options, among other things, to change the way the booster model works; (the options are compound safety [as it is now], average safety [as it was in earlier versions], or the minimum safety of either the booster or rocket); to allow the use of first-generation rockets for lunar missions (so boosted Atlas and R-7 rockets can send probes to the moon, and the R-7, for that matter, can send a Soyuz to the moon, which I think tilts the historical meter back in the opposite direction...)

Other changes in 1.0.0 include some renaming of the Soviet hardware to make it more historically accurate (the Duet becomes the LKM, L3 becomes LK, A-series is R-7, Vulkon and Kvartet are the UR-700 and LK-700 respectively), elimination of the need to have backup crews, and successful missions increase Max R&D by one point along with the safety factor (making dummy tests before Max R&D worthwhile, among other things. It's reset on a catastrophic failure, though.) As you may also note from the image, the victory screen reports who was the first to set foot on the Moon, and the game gives you the option during a lunar landing to choose who will be first, assuming you're landing with anything bigger than a one-man lander.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Scottish Ninja wrote:For those of you playing at home, 1.0.0 is out.

Also, this one is just straight cheating:

:P
You set the config file so that missions never fail, so you only had to purchase the necessary equipment, recruit astronauts and fly to the moon without wasting money on that pesky R&D? :wink:

Please note that if you want the Windows installer for 1.0.0, you will have to go to the right place under the "Files" section at Sourceforge. The direct link still points to 0.4.8.

The changes seem worthwhile, albeit not anything drastic.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am back from the Sudetenland!

I am happy to confirm that it is completely free of Nazis.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Aww, y'all are so cute.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Da! Da, comrade!

Though I plan to go on a trip this week myself, and can't really post from work like I used to. So I don't know how much I'll be doing.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Just to double-check: we can assemble a crew, assign them to a mission that same season, and fly them the next season, da?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Da, comrade Chief Designer!

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

PeZook wrote:I am back from the Sudetenland!

I am happy to confirm that it is completely free of Nazis.
Was that before or after you got there? :twisted:

Simon, I can recommend plans and let you sign off on and/or modify them if you feel like you're too busy to do everything yourself.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Ghetto edit: Wait, what am I saying? I'm busy as hell this week too.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I'm also reasonably busy this week, but between us we can probably get a good enough plan together.

Or we could let Shroom take personal control of the space program for a while, what's the worst that could happen?
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eh. I can keep up a reasonable rate, I think. I just won't be able to do one-day turnarounds, reading a PeZook post in the morning and having the response plan drafted before he gets to bed.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, for what it's worth, I will probably not have time to do an update until tomorrow, either ;)

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

As an aside: did Murcans settle on a name for their shuttle?