Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by PeZook »

To the Murcan team:

You guys should budget for everything, including, say...the mission hardware :D

Starting Titan with this plan is impossible since it requires 60 MBs

EVA suits you can start.

Also, decide on scheduling future missions. Remember you are in serious danger of being beaten by the Zenobians.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Can we do EVA with Mercury?

And ok, cease R&D on the Atlas.

IF we can do EVA with Mercury, then begin EVA suit program, maximum R&D.

If we CANNOT do EVA with Mercury, then begin Titan program, maximum R&D,
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Comrade Pavylyvych! We need not send Dr. Evilstein into a capsule! We can use the Thanasians still in the gulags for their treachorous actions in the Salvation War! Or, perhaps, we can have the COCKSI in East Thanasia send us a few of their capitalist pigdog prisoners for test subjects! Da?
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Can we do EVA with Mercury?

And ok, cease R&D on the Atlas.

IF we can do EVA with Mercury, then begin EVA suit program, maximum R&D.

If we CANNOT do EVA with Mercury, then begin Titan program, maximum R&D,
I believe we can. And we really need to get moving, fast.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I may not be able to come up with a plan until evening GMT-5, I have some unexpected stuff to take care of. But I'll have one for you by the time you wake tomorrow morning, PeZook.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

They're visible when they're not assigned to flight crews. It works strangely like that.

Anyways, here they are:

the last two are tied up in the vostok-II mission

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

For the Murcans: Jesus, at least try to calculate the costs.

Titan = 60 MBs. You just plain don't have the cash for it.

EVA suits = 18 MBs. You can just barely start it on what you will have left after buying hardware for three unmanned flights plus researching the Mercury in full (19MBs)

You have a bit of time since something's come up for Simon, so we're doing fall 1960 in a good twelve hours :)

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Two more things:

1) I was mistaken. In 4.8, scrubbing a launch does NOT bring prestige penalties

2) You can scrub a mission up to the moment it flies, even after pressing "end turn". So yes, it's possible to scrub a later mission after the first one fails.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

All right. Forget Titan.

Begin the EVA program. 1 research team for now.

That should do for now, and should also eat up our remaining budget.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

This explains Murcan budget problems. We just don't care.

Fax Modem, when not in training, works with Murcan Bureau of Intelligence to find Drago.

EDIT: Mostly because the director of the MBI was revealed to have photos of the director in dresses.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Then explain our guy love, that's all it is
guy love he's mine I'm his
there's nothing gay about it in our eyes.

You ask me 'bout this thing we share...
...and he tenderly replies.

It's guy love...
...between two guys!

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Then explain our guy love, that's all it is
guy love he's mine I'm his
there's nothing gay about it in our eyes.

You ask me 'bout this thing we share...
...and he tenderly replies.

It's guy love...
...between two guys!
I don't think this applies, considering the song is about fraternal love (or may as well be) and Fax and the Russian scientist were quite definitely not spending the night making sweet sweet brotherly love...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Heh.

Tovarisch Francisco, you might be surprised at some of the definitions of fraternal love that might be presented by your fellow Murcans. The NKVDVDROM has filed many strange things in their dossier on your man Modem, thanks to our interrogations of Comrade Drago.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: BARIS Fall 1960 Plans

Post by Simon_Jester »

Came up with this faster than I expected. Any comments? Faabio? Any words before you step into the capsule, in the event that Comrade Chief Designer doesn't scrub the launch due to a lack of satisfaction with the capsule problems?

PLAN PAVYLYVYCH, FALL 1960

Budget is 48 MB; will get more money next year.

Hmm.

PHASE ONE:

1 MB for 1 team on Sputnik research.
4 MB for 2 teams on Booster Stage research.
5 MB for 5 teams on Vostok research

Net cost: 10 MB
Remaining budget: 38 MB

PHASE TWO:

Check Vostok reliability.

IF Vostok capsule reliability is greater than or equal to 72%, go to PHASE THREE PLAN A.
IF Vostok capsule reliability is less than 72%, go to PHASE THREE PLAN B.

PHASE THREE PLAN A:

If the Vostok is deemed reliable enough to trust to a suborbital flight this season, we proceed with the manned suborbital launch.

Purchase 2 A-Series rockets for unmanned Vostok I launch and scheduled manned Vostok II launch
Purchase 2 Vostok capsules for Vostok I and II

Net cost: 12 MB
Remaining budget: 26 MB

Schedule an unmanned orbital flight of Vostok (Vostok III, I believe) for Spring 1961.
Schedule a manned orbital flight of Vostok (Vostok IV, I believe) for Spring 1961, to follow the unmanned flight.
PRIMARY CREW will be IVAN IVANOV*
BACKUP CREW will be TITOV

Go to PHASE FOUR PLAN A.

*Make your little son proud, comrade! (This is the Ivan Ivan Ivan played by Scottish Ninja, presumably father to the IVAN IVANOV I know of the future. :D)

PHASE THREE PLAN B:

If the Vostok is NOT deemed reliable enough to trust to a suborbital flight this season, we scrub the manned suborbital launch.

Scrub Vostok II, the manned mission with Comrade Faaabio as the primary and Comrade Nikov as the backup. My apologies to them, but I will not risk their lives on hardware with what I deem an inadequate probability of success. The mission is intrinsically quite dangerous, and there is a good chance of the launch failing even if the capsule is at the maximum R&D safety rating of 76%. But that chance gets significantly worse as a function of reliability, and if it is below 72%, the risk is simply too high to accept.

Purchase 1 A-Series rockets for unmanned Vostok I launch
Purchase 1 Vostok capsule for unmanned Vostok I launch

Net cost: 6 MB
Remaining budget: 32 MB

Schedule an unmanned orbital flight (Vostok III, I believe) for Spring 1961.
Schedule a manned suborbital flight of Vostok (Vostok IV, I believe) for Spring 1961, to follow the unmanned flight.
PRIMARY CREW will be IVAN IVANOV
BACKUP CREW will be TITOV

Go to PHASE FOUR PLAN B.

PHASE FOUR PLAN A:
Perform unmanned Vostok I suborbital launch, on schedule.

If Vostok I is a success, proceed with manned Vostok II mission.

If Vostok I has a failure which does not cause a hit to systems reliability (I think unmanned failures don't cause such hits, but I'm really not sure about that detail of the game), proceed with the manned Vostok II. "Comrade Faaabio, we fixed the problem that killed the [robot/monkey/Thanasian prisoner/whatever]. Your chances are no worse than they were before- better, even!"

If Vostok I has a failure which causes serious negative effects for the reliability rating of the A-Series rocket or the Vostok capsule (i.e. one of those systems takes a serious reliability hit), THEN scrub Vostok II.

If Vostok II is a success we will proceed with plans for an orbital Vostok IV launch in Spring 1961. If Vostok II is a failure, we will downgrade Vostok IV to a suborbital flight.

Good luck, Comrade Faaabio!

PHASE FOUR PLAN B:

Perform unmanned Vostok I suborbital launch, on schedule.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Due to the sabotage/spy work last season, the Commissar has upped the standard base alertness level, all major facilities in the base are to have at least two generic guards and one bottle of vodka guarding them at all times.

The equipment storage building is deemed esepcially important and so we will up the guard there to three generic guards and two bottles of Vodka.

Top secret and highly stealthy NKVDVDROM will be position lurking watching all key paper work and equipment for tampering. Lets see if we can catch this spy/sabetour now da?

Oh, and have my adjutent, Information Officer Dasha 'debreif' Comrade Drago very thoroughly.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

We are approaching one of the most important milestones.

Murcan team, your planned missions for spring 1961?

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I'm afraid I've lost track :P
If eternal freedom has nothing by tomorrow AM i'll catch up...

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Three flights:
-Mercury/Atlas, unmanned suborbital
-Mercury/Atlas, unmanned Earth orbital
-Mercury/Atlas, manned suborbital

IN THAT ORDER.

NOTE: If EITHER of the unmanned missions fail because of the CAPSULE screwing up, SCRUB the manned flight.

Manned flight crew will be McCain as primary and Kelly as backup.

I will stress this again, just to make sure. ONLY scrub the manned flight if the CAPSULE fails on the unmanned flights.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Very well. Simulating now, though I don't know if I can do the writeup today, as the first attempt at a manned flight requires proper bombasticness :)

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
I think I got everyone a bit sidetracked with the gay romance subplot.
With the cooperation of the MBI, Fax has discovered the location of the Zenobian base. With the director's approval, he's going to get their scientist back.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

No worries. I'm sure Simon, Shroom and myself can add extra bombasticness later if needs be :)

Johnny von Braun stood adressing his personnel. this was it, the great moment had finally come. In a few weeks, Murca would have sent a man into space, provided the unmanned flights went smoothly of course. Now it was time to rally the troops.

"My friends! We stand today upon the brink of a new world. A world where Space and it's mysteries are no longer things to be thought about abstractedly in a university classroom, but to be explored by true Murcan men! We have worked long and hard, and there have been setbacks, and the competitions from Zenobia has been disheartening.

But like Murca herself, we shall not be denied! We shall rise up into the stars, and we shall look down forever upon the freedom-loving land that sent us there with pride and love!

As for our competition, we shall look down upon the Jeebus-damned Zenobia with contempt, for they shall know that whilst they beeped at us from space first, we were able to take a shit upon them from the stars!

Now, forward my brothers! TO THE STARS!"

How's that? Too much? :twisted:

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fax Modem waits until the speech is over, then approaches the director.

"Here is my plan for getting our turncoat back. it involves a few of us going over there and maybe a few of them dying, but we get our scientist and we don't lose any state secrets. What do you think, sir?"

Fax Modem hands over a plan.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Johnny quickly skims the plan, noting some of it's more elegant details and some of it's more obvious flaws.

"Interesting, but I am afraid it is not my decision to make Fax. But I will certainly send it up the chain to the White Dwelling, with my recommendation."

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Ah for one, recommend full research on mercury, buying prototype EVA suits, full research on EVA suits, and putting funds aside to purchase our next-generation rocket as soon as possible. Once we've successfully orbited a man, and maxed out research on the Mercury, we can start on the Duration mission, but I think more than three days in that capsule will be hellish. So just a duration B mission, for the time being until we can prepare somethin' more comfortable.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

When I play the game, I am always the first to do manned missions but the soviets keep beating me with them being first on manned missions. :x

Regarding EVA suits: the advantage to them is that you can get them to high safety in two or three turns if you give them 5 research teams.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.