Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thank you, Comrade Commissar. It is not an easy decision; there are arguments both pro and con.

If my own estimates of the prestige advantages of a successful double launch, and the prestige costs of a scrubbed satellite launch, are incorrect, then your gut instinct could well be correct.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 2: THE RIGHT STUFF
Time is: Spring 1958
MURCA
THE CAPE
Sam Francisco was hard at work. He was sitting in his office, even tinier than the Director's. The floor was littered by crumpled pieces of paper that contained budget proposals with arithmetic errors in them.

"Six plus two plus four plus twenty...yes! It all adds up!", he finally declared, holding up the newest paper, covered in pencil scribblings.

He stared at the numbers for a while and cursed.

"FUCK!"

How could this be? The numbers danced! They danced before him, not wanting to line up properly!

"Are you done, Sam?", von Braun poked his head in, "The budget meeting's about to start!"

"NO!", Francisco spat back, "Not yet! Not now!"

"Well, hurry up already! The situation's becoming critical, the astronauts have been walking majestically for days and are about to collapse! They need to know if we can hire them!"

"ARGH CAN'T DO IT TOO MUCH PRESSURE!!!"

Director Johnny von Braun was a keen observer of the human condition (he had to be, in order to replace slaves that were about to break down before they could cause damage) and could see something was wrong, so he took charge of the situation. He did some quick calcs and fed Sam the correct numbers.

"There. Now haul ass!"

Shamed, but not defeated, Sam headed to the budget meeting. The research team would be most satisfied indeed, and the astronauts could finally rest, for the budget also included lavish facilities for them.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 64 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: MODEMJR, FLASHHEART, CUNTSER, MCCAIN, KELLY, HARDBEEF, OHJESUS

Programs running: Explorer, Atlas

Launch pads: 1

Missions planned: Launch Pad A, orbital satellite ; SCRUBBED
ZENOBIA
BAIKONUREK
The mood inside the tiny, hot and humid bunker was grim. Well, not for everyone. Two people were unbelievably smug this season - the representative from the Krasnyj Oktabr rocket factory, who managed to avoid being sent to Zyberia thanks to his extensive library containing copies of memoranda he sent to von Evilstein last year, and of course the newly appointed Director of Operations, Syrgy Pavylyvych. The latter was being continuously glared at by von Evilstein.

"...and so, we are going to scrub this season's planned missions in order to perform the scheduled upgrades. Refer to budget document page 54 for summaries of the total budgets for rocket and satellite research. We will attempt two new launches in the fall, to allow for the improvements to be properly integrated, but still outrun the vile Murcans."

The smugness increased tenfold. For Syrgy Pavylyvych, it smelled like victory. He had to be cautious, though, as his position was still too tenous to be entirely secure.

Syrgy Pavylyvych would resign himself to incessant grumbling about everything, but without outright obstructionism.That should bring the most...politically expedient results. After the Thanasian inevitably failed, it would be the time to strike.

Current funds: 50 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: KARZANOVSKI, IVANOV, FAAABIO, DOSTAROVASKI, IVANOVICH, NIKOV, TITOV

Programs running: Sputnik, A-Series

Launch pads: 2

Missions planned: Launch Pad A, orbital satellite; SCRUBBED
                        Launch Pad B, orbital satellite; SCRUBBED
Time is: Fall 1958

MURCA
THE CAPE
"Stupid Randians...", muttered Director Johnny von Braun as he put down the morning paper. His bumpy, shakey Geepers had just come to a stop and wait just a minute!

The Geepers came to a stop in front of a really nice white building. And there were other buildings where a huge open field was just yesterday.

"Whoa", von Braun said, "Where are we? Where's my office?"

"Inside, sir! Over here!"

That was Sam Francisco, with a huge shit-eating grin on his face. He ushered the Director through posh, expensive-looking corridors that smelled of newness, right into von Braun's new office.

The moment von Braun sat down on his brand new leather chair, thoughts of asking where the money for all that came from just went *poof* and evaporated.

"I am glad you like it, Director!", Sam beamed and immediately slammed von Braun with a string of reports, "And I have lots of other good news, too! We are right on schedule with the Atlas and Explorer programs! The new launch pad will be done by January, so we've taken the liberty of scheduling two Explorer missions for the spring. The satellite is thoroughly tested, we estimate a 95% reliability factor on it...the Atlas is a little weaker, but we can get the kinks worked out on time provided we get the funding to do so before the missions launch.

And the Zenobians are struggling to catch up to our manly Murcan endavours, despite the stall in production!"

Johnn von Braun would grin and drink to that, but he decided against celebrating just yet. You never knew with the damn Zenobian communoids.

Current funds: 35 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: MODEMJR, FLASHHEART, CUNTSER, MCCAIN, KELLY, HARDBEEF, OHJESUS

Programs running: Explorer, Atlas

ZENOBIA
BAIKONUREK
And damn, the Zenobians were doing entirely too well for a bunch of inefficient communist sympathizers.

"Jawohl! Das ist excellent!", von Evilstein exclaimed. That strange Czech man was a true genius, although he was associated with the damned Zenobian upstart with delusions of grandeur. Still, since the name of the game for the last six months were technological improvements, von Evilstein could not reject such a huge improvement to the Sputnik. He'd approve the modifications...and think about disposing of his enemies later.

Ja. They would rue the day still! For taking his glory away...

The rockets were prepared, the buttons were all done. In two months, von Evilstein would become a hero!

Current funds: 15 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: KARZANOVSKI, IVANOV, FAAABIO, DOSTAROVASKI, IVANOVICH, NIKOV, TITOV

Programs running: Sputnik, A-Series

Missions planned: Launch Pad A, orbital satellite
                        Launch Pad B, orbital satellite

MISSIONS LAUNCH
SPUTNIK V, OCTOBER 1958
"Engines running! Rocket lifting off...readouts green..."

"Rising...rising...rising!"

Yes! Yes! Yes! Rise harder! Higher!, von Evilstein thought while hyperventillating furiously.

"NEIN! NEIN! NEINEINEINEINEINEIN!"

"Director, come with me, please.", Comissar Omeganski urged. It was not a request.

As von Evilstein left the command bunker, he couldn't help but notice a satisfied grin on Syrgy Pavylyvych's face...and a thought struck him. Yes. A very EVIL THOUGHT.
SPUTNIK VI, DECEMBER 1958
It only took an anonymous letter written to the correct authorities. Only a small letter, yet so much has changed for the December launch.

Syrgy Pavylyvych was now standing right next to von Evilstein in the command bunker. And behind them, a squad of Interior Ministry troops however menacingly, ready to arrest both of them should the launch fail. Suspicion of sabotage abounded, since many people noticed how antagonistic the new Director of Operations was towards his nominal boss.

It wasn't that Doom von Evilstein was a vindictive man. It was that he was a fucking vindictive man, and if he was going to Zyberia for failure, he'd be taking everyone he could with him.

Both men held their breaths as the countdown finished, and the ground rumbled.

"Rocket cleared the pad...", the technician reading out status updates was dismayed and pessimistic, "Readouts green...rising..."

Something strange was going on. Minutes passed, yet no catastrophe.

"Altitude 50...60...80 kilometres...engines running according to parameters..."

Ja! Ja! Ja, baby! Rise!

"Orbital insertion complete...separating payload..."

"Hardware powering up. Initiating beeping...beeping initiated, comrades! WE ARE BEEPING!"

The control room erupted in spontaneous celebration. Yes! Zenobia had gained the ability to annoy the world with beeping beamed from orbit!

JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit"

Anyone walking past von Braun's office did nto need to ask what the litany of cursing was about.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

URRA!

(I am much happier at the success of the rocket than I am unhappy that von Evilstein will get a large fraction of the credit for making it happen despite the delays and losses of hardware we suffered due to his premature blastoffs in 1957)

Now, what are the reliability figures for the A-Series and the Sputnik as of the beginning of Spring 1959?

Also:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I will post spring 1959 in a couple hours

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Syrgy Pavylyvych reviews and ponderizes options for 1959, noting that it is fortunate both launch pads were intact; a failure of one of the Fall 1957 rockets on the pad was entirely possible and would have left us unable to launch the successful Sputnik-VI mission.

His attitude towards von Evilstein warms slightly, towards a detenté, as it becomes more clear to him that von Evilstein is not, as his initial experiences led him to believe, actively trying to kill the Zenobian space program.

Perhaps von Evilstein, with his style of management learned from his wartime experiences, was merely overeager. Careless of factors of safety and mission viability.

Prone to premature... ah, launch, shall we say?
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

*cackling from von Evilstein*

And that should gain me a few more dramatic explosions before being shot. Particularly as this means it's no longer quite so important we get one up- we have the lead. Now let's keep it, all the way to the moon. HEIL HI- err, HEIL COMMUNISM! HEIL ZTALIN! Please don't send me to Zyberia. :lol: :( :lol: :( :lol: :(
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I have justed wasted over an hour with the game. Man, those astronauts are a pain to work with.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Comrade Pavyl thinks to himself]

Historical Imperative has delivered him into my hands...

"Let us not be complacent; the Murcans will be attempting launches of their own in the spring, and they've been improving their rockets continuously since early 1957. It would be an unexpected surprise if they failed this time. We must be wary of stumbling into errors that will cost us more time."
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

I, Vladimir Vladimirovich Vladimirensky would like to volunteer for the second class of Kosmonauts of the Glorious Motherland. I shall do my duty for Mother Zenobia and help spread the workers revolution in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

von Braun schedules a meeting with his senior staff:

"Achtung! We must plan our response to the Zenobian triumph. We must at least be seen to be doing something. I want ideas people!"

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Remember, Comrade Pavyl- we already suceeded before them. Half a year before them. These further launches are just so we can A) get more experience using the A Series rocket, and B) annoy more of the world at once with our loud and repetitive beeping noise. :mrgreen:

Also, PeZook- I liked your impression of von Evilstein. I liked the sabotage thing, and the whole
PeZook wrote:It wasn't that Doom von Evilstein was a vindictive man. It was that he was a fucking vindictive man, and if he was going to Zyberia for failure, he'd be taking everyone he could with him.
bit. That was awesome, and just in keeping with what I thought of the guy as. Good stuff, PeZook!
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:von Braun schedules a meeting with his senior staff:

"Achtung! We must plan our response to the Zenobian triumph. We must at least be seen to be doing something. I want ideas people!"
"We start the mercury program, now. We can get a launch of in the fall, lets try and get a man into orbit. There was supposed to be a pad built a while ago, I wonder what happened to the order... oh well. But yes, mercury, aboard the Atlas. We could still do a sat launch just to prove we can... So yes?" Sam says, the strain of failure showing on his face
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Syrgy Pavylyvych shows the visiting Internal Security troops through his paper-cluttered office, explaining to them carefully all the things he has done on the A-Series project to make his beloved Semyorka fly. He displays enthusiasm for the work, and openly speculates on other options for development in 1959. The two obvious ones are work on the Vostok series of manned capsules, and work on improved rocketry with the hope of sending unmanned probes to the moon.

Another note: While you're grabbing screenshots for Spring 1959, PeZook, could you show the flashcards for Vostok and Cosmos again?
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Heh. I just came back here to say: The instant we get more money in the spring, start the Vostok program and go to full R&D on it, I want a cosmonaut up there on an A-Series the instant they finish training. We'll launch two of them at once, of course, like we do everything else. So congrats, Ivans- you'll be getting your shots at glory soon. Very soon. Actually, how long does training take? If possible, I'll try for the launches next spring if the penalties for yanking from training aren't that bad.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

barnest2 wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:von Braun schedules a meeting with his senior staff:

"We start the mercury program, now. We can get a launch of in the fall, lets try and get a man into orbit. There was supposed to be a pad built a while ago, I wonder what happened to the order... oh well. But yes, mercury, aboard the Atlas. We could still do a sat launch just to prove we can... So yes?" Sam says, the strain of failure showing on his face
"Do it. Recruit the astronauts if we havent alreay, begin the Mercury project, as much research as money permits. Schedule a launch ASAP, but continue with the planned Explorer launch. If nothing else, it will give us more experience at flying the Atlas."

My orders:
-Begin Mercury program, full R&D
-Schedule a launch for Fall 1959
-Continue with already planned Explorer/Atlas launch

OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

The Commissar sighed, holstering his pistol, maybe he'd get to execute/exile someone the next time they failed, after all, that was half the fun of being a Commissar!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Simon_Jester wrote:Another note: While you're grabbing screenshots for Spring 1959, PeZook, could you show the flashcards for Vostok and Cosmos again?
What do you think this is, Murca? Duplicating flashcards is not possible because the committee didn't prepare for such a contingency a capitalistic waste of resources, read them from the first page like everyone else!
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Billy Bob Bernstein shuffles some papers around his desk and writes in the margin of the mission plan for the fall.

"Sub-orbital mission recommended. Scrub if capsule safety is below 60%, which seems likely. We cannot afford to Loose a Merican in space rushing to catch up to a rival who has not even begun their own astronaut program."

Billy Bob encloses spy planes that clearly show no astronauts beautifully stiding around the Russian Cosmodrome.

OOC: Can we get a briefing on the skills of our astronauts? They are a precious and angry resource that want to go into space frequently become rapidly angry if they are not allowed to.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Recomendations by Billy Bob Bernstein are accepted.
The first manned flight will be a suborbital Mercury/Atlas combination.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Billy Bob has also discovered that the initial safety factor on the capsule, before any R&D is conducted will be a whopping 5%. FIVE PERCENT. Billy Bob thinks it very unlikely that the capsule will be ready by fall-but that gives us some time to give the astronauts some extra training.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

While I am composing a status update for Spring 1959, I want to make a note that astronaut management works slightly differently in 4.8.

In short, there's no one-season delay between assigning astronauts to their program and being able to plan missions with them.

HOWEVER, to make a manned launch in Fall 1959 you will need to withdraw at least two men from training early. FURTHERMORE, going straight for a manned orbital imposes a -7 bonus to rolls during all stages of the mission.

If you manage to get the Explorer into orbit, then you merely get a -4 bonus. HOWEVERMORE, you can do a manned suborbital, which is a milestone as well and grants you prestige and is less risky.

Your choice. I will post status information in half an hour or so.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

In light of the new safety information, I am rescinding the scheduled Mercury/Atlas launch. Divert funds into Mercury R&D.

If funds are still available, build another launch pad. We need expanded facilities ASAP.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Karza wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Another note: While you're grabbing screenshots for Spring 1959, PeZook, could you show the flashcards for Vostok and Cosmos again?
What do you think this is, Murca? Duplicating flashcards is not possible because the committee didn't prepare for such a contingency a capitalistic waste of resources, read them from the first page like everyone else!
The numbers can change in this game as a consequence of research into other programs- the effect of progress on Sputnik to progress on Cosmos is particularly relevant.

Besides, needless proliferation of forms is a grand tradition of Zenobian bureaucracy, da? Thinking you only need one copy of critical paperwork... what do you think this is, Murca?