Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:Let's have the show be in July, shall we? It won't be affected by Murcan manned launches in the Fall, which are going to be pretty high profile whatever happens to them.

And yeah I was planning to do just that, Simon. Stop ruining my surprises! ARGH! :P
I'm sorry. :(

Also, yay!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Baris, July of 1961

Biff McCain had a girl on each arm as he walked along the room, shaking hands. Fox envied the starpower that man now had. Fox was new to the team, so he didn't know anyone except for Sam. His brother was somewhere. At least for now, he was away from that Dick Fisher fellow who kept jumping out of closets and filing cabinets expecting to catch Fox doing something. After the twentieth time, it went from surprising to annoying.

But at least there was champagne to drink and dinner being supplied by the Barisian government.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Salon International de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace
Baris, Stenchia
July 1961

The blaring music, the clicking of cameras and milling of the crowd were suddenly interrupted by the announcer. With elated voice, the man began to speak. With a horrible accent.

"Mesdames et Messieurs! Allow me to announce ze arrival of our special guests this evening. Esteemed competitors to défenseurs de la liberté, ze Murcans! Tough people from a tough nation, we give you...

Le Zenobian delegation!

Out of nowhere, a flight of Mick-21 fighters buzzed the airfield, flying in perfect formation. Their engines temporarily deafened every attendant, who all looked up in awe. The formation soared upwards immediately and split into a star formation.

While the attendants were distracted, a low throbbing human slowly rose nearby. To everyone's surprise, a huge transport aircraft appeared, moving straight towards the attendees. At the last moment, it turned and expertly skid to a halt, leaving marks on the tarmac.

The rear ramp dropped, revealing the Zenobian delegation, led by a man with an absolutely absurd amount of medals, which everyone present recognized as cosmonaut Faaaabio Elenin, the first man to fly in space.

The cosmonauts struck a really mean pose for the cameras, and one of the smiling children brought aboard the airplane (in reality NKVDVDROM officers of particularly and deceptively small statures) stuck out his tongue at the shellshocked Murcan delegates.

It was on.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I took the liberty of opening the air show for the Zenobians.

I just HAD to use that cosmonaut picture somehow :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Skies above Baris

"Nyet, Star 3. Do not break formation."

"AAAGHH"

In Baris, the screams of adulation quickly turned to horror as flaming debris rained down upon them. Everyone hurried inside, where cocktails and music started playing to try and get everyone's mind off the events outside. Occasionally a siren could be heard, but it was drowned out in the blares of the Zenobian anthem.

The party raged on, as if nothing had happened.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Spoiler
...I'll get you for that...
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

"Oh damn" Sam thinks as he runs across the tarmac for cover, the Mig crashing around him. He is relieved to see a pilot descending by way of his parachute.
He heads into the conference area, quickly finding Fox, and borrowing his champagne. He chugs the drink, before grinning at the man.
"Well... this show got off with a 'bang"
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Among the Zenobian party a voice overcame the now-mingling Zenobians.

"BASTARDS! WHORESONS! TRAITORS! HOW DARE YOU?!"

The owner of the voice, Comrade Huyagy Zavar, looks accusingly at his enemy, the flaps of fat on his chin moving like a furious tide wishing to strike at their target if it were not attached to its owner angrier face. The face was completely bare, except for a large mustache that extended beyond the owner's face. His hands were in red-hot knuckles that seemed to defile their owner's soft appearance, joined by the tiny green eyes that seemed to flash with thunderous anger.

The bartender, a scrawly-looking fellow on whom his uniform seemed to be larger than its wearer, tried to keep his now-pale face impassive.

"I'm sorry sir, but we do not have that strong a drink. But I assure you that our selection of wines is..."

The man could not finish the sentence for it was cut, as if with a sword, by an accusatory finger.

"Wine? WINE?! Do I look like some cunt-guzzling wimp or a roaring engine of Ungaran might? I need something that would actually clean my stomach and make me fart fire!"

"Well sir, we have some excellent Cahors, strong with a good vintage. Perhaps...?" this time, the bartender wasn't interrupted and just trailed off on his own regard instead.

"Would it catch fire?!" asked Comrade Zavar, fully expecting the answer.

"Well, no sir, but I assure you that it is of good vintage...." said the bartender, but could not finished. Instead, he had to lean back to dodge the moving wave of chin fat that threatened to knock him down as Comrade Zavar leaned towards him.

"VINTAGE? Are you mad son?! If it can't catch fire, it might as well be from the future, it would still be not enough! The mighty farmers of Ungara didn't defeat their facists oppressors by savoring the taste! No, they risen with a drunken stupor and fearlessly hurled their pent-up discontent straight at their oppressors! AND IT STINKED!"

The bartender seemed to have broken under the vocal and mental assault. He fallen unconscious on the floor. Comrade Zavar looked at the unconscious figure at the floor with annoyance, muttering something about the cumulative effects of a diet with strange cheese and weak drink.

A young Zenobian Air Force officer briefly massaged his face, hiding an expression of great annoyance, frustration and a 'I wish I didn't know him' expression. A moment later, he had a friendly grin and put a reassuring hand on Comrade Zavar.

"Now, now, Comrade, we have not come to cause a scene. You are here to delegate your own country's Glorious Engineers and Scientists to the rest of the world. You do not need to do that with ending every sentence with an explanation mark.

"NONSENSE! COUNTER-REVOLUTIONARY!" replied Comrade Zavar.

"See what I mean?"

Comrade Zavar sighed deeply.

"True, true. Still I am nervous and need a proper drink before I go and translate Comrade Hihetlen's proposal for his air-purifying machine." Comrade Zavar turned back to the bar.

"GET ME ANOTHER BARTENDER! THIS TIME SOMEONE WITH SOME GRIT!"

The Zenobian officer rolled his eyes.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

The Commissar, dressed in full dress uniform with only an average amount of medals (For a Zeonobian officer anyway), decended the platform from the plane. He made a nice show of waving to everyone and drawing attention, which was of course his job, if people paid more attention to him they would not worry so much about all the disguised NKDVDROM agents spying on them.

He made his way through the crowds to go and peer over the various Murican exhebitions, frowning and making 'Hrrm' noises as he looked for an engineer of some sort to confront.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

OOC - And the Murcans are wondering if we make our orbital shots with the pilot sober?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Yeah, let's be honest. Who would want to get sent into SPAAACE in one of these tincans while undrunk?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

:roll:

Seriously, what the hell was that? It wasn't even funny. Oh, an airplane crashed. Har har.

It's on the level of "I shoot you!" "Nu-uh! Your gun has jammed!"

If Murcans want to one up Zenobians, they can start doing something awesome by themselves.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eh. I can one-up them by sticking strictly to historical events, and will... tomorrow. When I get that post out. Argh.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe that Zenobian airplane (call it a ZiG) got torpedoed by another stupid Murcan submarine, explaining why it crashed so lamely. :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah,, you're right. I was trying to reference that TNG episode, but did it wrong. Go ahead and consider my post null and void.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Barisian airspace

In response to the Zenobian aeronautical acrobatics, the Murcans responded with their own fighters, which were sent in unprepared and under fueled.

"Gold leader, this is Gold 3. This area is already filled with Zenobian fighters, maybe we should wait."

"Negative, we have to demonstrate that we're better then a bunch of fur cap wearing commies!" responded Gold leader.

The fighters entered above Baris, competing for the same amount of limited airspace that the Zenobians were using. It turned into a hairball, fighters were doing their best to avoid each other, then the fuel tanks started running out.

"Gold leader, this is Gold 4, fuel is running out, returning back to base."

Gold 4 barely made it out. He was the lucky one. Gold three soon had alarms going off in his cockpit.

"Damnit, I have to land."

He tried to dive, but he hit the Baris tower, clipping it, as he landed on the street, sending cafe patrons screaming everywhere.

Gold 2 and Gold leader managed to make it out of the area, but their jets ran out of fuel, causing them to eject.

It was a dark day for Barisians and Murcans everywhere, as the Murcan chestbeating caused more harm and disregard on the world stage.

For the Zenobians, the news couldn't be better. It was an auspicious start for the conference for them.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

That's moe like it :D

"Don't worry!", Captain Biff Lee Roy Jethro Gabbs said to the shocked Barisians, after untangling himself from his parachute, "Everything is bien! I am fine and unharmed! And we sure showed those Zenobians, huh?"

His fellow pilots hollered, waving their guns in the air.

"We sure did, Biff!", Mary Jane Candace Jojo smiled at him, pumping her fist, "Let them try to one-up that!

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Huh.

Oh god. :P

The Sovereign Citizens have landed decades too early.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Washingtoff, Murca
White Dwelling

"Hah! Excellent joke, Barry! Holy shit, oh man, I almost believed it for a second there! Man! You gotta stop doing that, you're gonna kill me!"

Dave Fitzgerald Teddy stopped laughing upon seeing his staff remain dead serious.

"It's not a joke, is it?"

"No, sir."

There was silence in the Dwelling. The President's joyful smile faded with terrifying slowness. The his fists clenched. It was bad enough the damn Zenobians were deploying nuclear missiles near Murcas shores, and he'd have to play hardball with their premier, Shroomanski. Murcans ruining well-known landmarks in allied countries were something that he just plain didn't need today.

"I am going to fucking kill someone!", the President blurted out, "I want these guys in chains, hauled before court and docked their full pay for however long it takes for them to pay off the government for what we will have to pay out to Stenchia to repair that fucking tower!"

Teddy's hands shook with rage, "There will be hell to pay. Get it done!"

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Poor president Teddy. One more stunt like that and he'll order a psychiatric review of everyone in the Murcan military :D

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I do seem to make his life hell.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The Barisians were shocked at the destruction wrought in their beloved city, and didn't know what to say when the Murcans just strolled around, acting as if they did something awesome.

One man did not. He glanced at the wreckage through his binoculars and felt his proud Stenchian heart fill with rage. His city! Wrecked! Ruined! Destroyed!

"Barbarians! Vandals!", yelled major Louis de Serious, "Gendarmes! Arrêter les hommes! Rapide!"

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Spoiler
PeZook wrote:"Barbarians! Vandals!", yelled major Louis de Serious, "Gendarmes! Arrêter les hommes! Rapide!"
Seriously, my mind is fitting some "Oh!, "No!", Really!" exclamations in between his words... :D I admire that man...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

BARIS, STENCHIA. JUNE 1961

IVAN IVANOVICH IVANOV swept low over the field in the Mick-21, Zenobia's gloriously cutting-edge fighter jet. The designers at the Mc O'Yan bureau had outdone themselves this time, but even they had no idea of what Ivan was planning, or that it was even possible what he was about to do.

Sometimes Ivan didn't know what Ivan was planning. This little stunt was going to take quite a bit of nerves, and luck. And a dash of vodka, to taste. Have to loosen up his reflexes, after all.

The last pass had pinpointed his target - a small patch of dirt past the end of the runway, surrounded on three sides by trees, with the last fully open to the view of the crowd. Ivan circled around to make his approach from above the trees, just where everyone would see his final approach.

Skimming just above the treetops, Ivan throttled down and braked until he was just above stall speed, the clearing just moments ahead. The angle-of-attack limiter already disengaged, he yanked back on the stick, abruptly flipping the jet up so that its nose pointed straight at the noonday sun; Ivan would have been half blind if it hadn't been for him looking at the ground and certainly not praying to any nonexistent anachronistic concepts in outdated and reactionary belief systems!

With the throttle back up and Ivan wrestling the stick as if it were a Thanasian with a knife to maintain the plane's attitude, the jet somehow miraculously glided nose up for a few moments as it lost forward speed, until just above the clearing he saw that, beyond all odds, the environment wasn't moving any more.

He cut back the throttle quickly, fearing to take a hand off the stick still fighting to get free, and the Mick-21 dropped back tail first onto the soft dirt of the clearing, the empennage luckily plunging into the soft soil instead of breaking. Fortunately, Mc O'Yan built them tough. Ivanov breathed a sigh of relief. He'd done it. He'd done it! It shouldn't have even been possible, but that stunt ought to drive the Murcans nuts trying to respond to it. He unbuckled his straps and opened the beautifully clear glass canopy - not even a speck of mud on it, and relaxed for a moment, listening to the crowd cheer and the surprised announcer telling them what had just happened - " - maneuver called Ivanov's Cobra, demonstrating the Mick-21's dirt-field VTOL capability. Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov, one of Zenobia's most distinguished test pilots and now part of that nation's space program - "

Lying back in the pilot's seat, Ivan smiled.

And then frowned suddenly. How the hell was he going to get out of here?
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

So...it's a maneuver that allows a Mick to land on dirt airstrips, with the small downside of making the plane unusueable? :D

A truly Zenobian concept!