Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fox looked at the FBI agent with more incredulity.

"Yeah, he's assigned here at the Cape. I was behind him in training because of my age. Why are you asking me this?"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"Mr. Fisher, kindly get to the point and stop harassing my potential astronaut. As for looking around the facility, you are welcome to, we have no secrets here. But as Mr Francisco said, most of it will be untilligable to a man with your...training.

And I will of course inform the Preisdent that any delays and setbacks this year were caused by MBI agents blundering about my facility looking for someone who is not here.

Surely you, as a law enforcement officer, should know that the last palce he is going to hide, is the palce where he is known and supposed to be."

Johnny turned back and began looking through a set of diagrams for the shuttles, making the occasional note.

"Now, please, get out of my facility. If we hear anything from Fax we'll tell you."

Johnny turned to Fox:

"Fox, welcome to the program. Report to the Astronaut Training Centre. You will be the first of our new class of astronauts, the first of the second wave of manly Murcan men to pierce the Heavens."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"Yes sir." Fox saluted and reported to the training center. Only realizing later that they were talking about Fax when they were talking about someone hiding.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: "Now, please, get out of my facility. If we hear anything from Fax we'll tell you."
"I'll be out of your hair when we're done searching the premises ; As for Mr. "Fox", he's free to go...for now. My man here will take down your personal information for later."

Fisher left von Braun's office, but his men continued to thoroughly search the premises. Throuhgout the night they went through all the various work logs, orders, schedules and flight assignments, archive indexes and other documentation. Some they seized, others were copied where feasible. In the morning, they left THE CAPE, leaving only some mess behind.

Somehow, Johnny felt they'd be back. But for now, other more important matters loomed.
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

Director,

It has come to the attention of this Office that the world is becoming interested in the space race. As such, I have made the decision that MASA should incorporate into its mission the promotion of our manly Murcan struggles and education of the next generation about the science of such.

You are therefore tasked with organizing an exhibit for the imminent International Air Show in Baris, showcasing Murca's accomplishments. It is critical that we outdo our competitors in the field of brainwashing the masses into supporting our struggle. Best luck and many kisses to you.

Signed,

President Teddy
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam walks back into his office, and sighs at the mess the agents have left. He begins to clear up, wondering if the new modem boy has had any more context with Fax than he had.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Once Fox was done with his training for the night, he went to Sam's office.

"Sir, do you know what happened to my brother? Or why the FBI is looking for him?"
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:"Sir, do you know what happened to my brother? Or why the FBI is looking for him?"
"His freedom was threatened by a nation that promises that freedom to any man, woman or child. But don't worry about it. He is safe. Are you okay?" Sam says
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fox was flustered. He grew up in Murca, and although he was too young to fight against the Thanasians in the Salvation War, he still believed that Murca was a country that was always in the right. But, if his country was hunting his brother, what did that mean? Was his brother in the wrong? What was his brother up to? Or even worse, what was his country up to?

"Sir, I'm confused. I can fly, I can corral, I can plow, but this politics stuff, its making my head spin sir."

He stared at his boss.

"Is my country right, and my brother is some form or criminal, or even worse, a traitor? Or is my brother right, and my country is doing bad things?"

He felt a headache coming on, one that he hoped Sam Francisco could resolve.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

"Don't worry about politics my friend. And your brother is doing what he believes is right, that's all that matters. All you have to do is learn to fly space-rockets. Easy, no?" Sam says, smiling at the man

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fox smiles at that. Following orders has always been easy for him. Feed the chickens, plow the fields, don't eat the wall paint. He wasn't like his younger brother Rex, who, while also a pilot, seemed to try and be a rebel, no matter how much of a good idea it was not to.

Fox stood up, shook Sam's hand and left the room. Hoping he wouldn't see any more FBI agents in the future, he went to bed and dreamt of seeing the moon.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Okay mangs, just a heads up.

I am working on Fall 1961 right now. The Zenobians are losing a cosmonaut due to Politburo bullshit (random event).

Thing is, every time I load the game, it's a different cosmonaut. Therefore, you will get the final judgement at the END of the season. I'm sorry, but that's the way the game works with this particular random event. I know it's inconvenient.

Let's say there are rumors that the NKVDVDROM needs a scapegoat for the recent string of sabotage and defections, but you have no idea who they'll choose :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

It must be said, I would like to see some advancement in the game now :P We've been doing chatty stuff for like a week ...
It's been fun, but I need rocket launches to live! :P

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yes, that is my opinion as well. If you guys want to do the air show fine, do it in unreal time. It's a fine tradition of STGODs.

I am composing launch results for Spring 1961 right now, so you'll get an update soonish.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I have a feeling it will be me.... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

LaCroix wrote:I have a feeling it will be me.... :D
You're not on the roster yet. Neither side recruited new cosmonauts/astronauts this season.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I enjoy the updates, but its fun carrying the drama. Although it has seemed a bit Modem heavy the past few days, hasn't it?
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:I enjoy the updates, but its fun carrying the drama. Although it has seemed a bit Modem heavy the past few days, hasn't it?
It is certainly fun, but has slowed down since Fax has left :P

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hey, you never know, the FBI agent could actually be competent and trace Fax and Drago to Mehico.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:Hey, you never know, the FBI agent could actually be competent and trace Fax and Drago to Mehico.
Dont give Pezook ideas you fool :P

But yeah, you never know.... The question is, of course, whether his other brothers will turn up...

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 5: THE (NOT) FINAL SHOWDOWN
Time is: Spring 1961

MURCA
[/size]
THE CAPE

"Meinn Gott!", the Director shouted. He was barely back from his vacation, getting ready to attend the Baris International Air Show. It was supposed to be one final briefing, about the state of the Mercury program.

Johnny could not believe the progress made. That Munhausen guy, while prone to engaging in diatribes about his heroic exploits during the Salvation War, sure knew what he was doing. His input had been invaluable to correcting several problems with the capsules.

"Well, what can I say? Start assembling the hardware now. Manned mission is a go."

Code: Select all

Current funds: 69 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: 
MODEMJR - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 (Mercury/I)
FLASHHEART - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1 (Mercury/II)
CUNTSER - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (Mercury/III)
MCCAIN - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1 (Mercury/IV)
KELLY - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 (Mercury/V)
HARDBEEF - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 (Mercury/VI)
OHJESUS - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 (Mercury/VII)

Programs running: Explorer, Atlas, Mercury, EVA Suits

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: Launch Pad A, unmanned suborbital, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad B, unmanned earth orbital, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad C, manned suborbital, Mercury/Atlas, McCain/Kelly

ZENOBIA
[/size]
BAIKONUREK
Syrgy sighed heavily. The form lay before him in all its cheap commienist glory: it was a simple order, scrubbing the manned orbital launch that had been planned and laborously prepared for this season, until the terrible discovery that led to classifying all newly made Semyorka rockets as unsafe.

At least the excellent crew of Baikonurek would take the time to start many, many other new and exciting projects this spring.

The Chief Designer didn't know it yet, but he wouldn't be around to watch them develop.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 132 megabucks

Current astronaut roster:
KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 (VOSTOK/V)
IVANOV - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 (VOSTOK/IV)
FAAABIO  - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 3 (VOSTOK/I)
DOSTAROVASKI - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3 (VOSTOK/III)
IVANOVICH - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 2, END 3 (VOSTOK/VI)
NIKOV - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 2 (VOSTOK/VII)
TITOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (VOSTOK/II)

Programs running: Sputnik, A-Series, Vostok, Booster stage

Launch pads: 2

Scheduled missions: Launch pad A, unmanned earth orbital, A-Series/Vostok
                            Launch pad B, manned earth orbital, A-Series/Vostok -  SCRUBBED

MISSIONS LAUNCH
MERCURY VI, MARCH 1961
Everything went routinely. After so many setbacks and problems, the fact the rocket went up without trouble and the capsule came down in one piece seemed like an outright surprise. The flight controllers would hit the showers later, with satisfaction of their well-done manly labors.

The test flight was a success. Murca - FUCK YEAH!
MERCURY VII, APRIL 1961

"So...", Biff McCain, who was present in the launch control room, asked, "...it broke up?"

Sam Francisco analyzed the telemtry data, "Yeah...but don't worry Biff, we only made a slight boo boo."

"It broke up."

"It's a slight problem. We'll fix it. I promisee.", Sam Said reassuringly, but deftly crossed his fingers. Just in case.
MERCURY VIII, MAY 1961
*cue manly music*

You'd never be able to tell just two months ago the control room was all relaxed. Nobody even wore Hawaiian shirts today, and they could barely breathe due to all the cigarette smoke.

Biff had already crossed the gantry in dramatic slow motion and was secured inside his spacecraft. The rocket was fuelled and pressurized and rigid, aiming straight up in a most Murcan fashion.

"Are you people ready? I can't wait!", Biff came on the radio. His backup, watching from mission control, was green with envy, seeing the massive piece of metal aimed straight at his friend and colleague.

"We're counting down, Biff. I'm sure you'll notice when the mission starts."

"Hey it's not like I have a whole lot to do inside this tin can!"

As the countdown finished, the thickness and amount of cigarette smoke increased tenfold. But finally the signal was given, the rocket rumbled and shook and then gently rose, penetrating the heavens.

"Velocity...right on the line...altitude...right on the line...roll complete, pitching...", came the shakey voice of the astronaut in charge, "This feels awesome!"

The mighty Atlas rose to two hundred kilometres. Explosive bolts separated the capsule with a mighty shudder, and the spacecraft plunged back into the atmosphere, rubbing against the planet's bosom with tremendous power and speed.

Because communications were impossible during re-entry, four guys held up an artist's rendition of what was happening, covering the screen.

But all went well, despite the massive nail biting nervousness inside the control room.

"Got parachutes, sir. Looks like everything is well, telemtry's back...Biff is alive and oh man..."

The flight surgeon did not comment, but blushed slightly at the medical readings from his console. He quickly turned it off and took a long drag on his cigarette.

"CAPE, this is Mercury VIII, the ship is at stable one. It is morning again in Murca! Signing off!"

The control room erupted in another spontaneous celeration, with more than one pelvic thrust and finger-flipping in the general direction of Zenobia.

The fact Zenobians already did that nearly five months ago didn't seem to matter.

VOSTOK IV, MAY 1961

Well, that was routine. It was also chilling for the cosmonauts watching, as the capsule was stranded in orbit, tracked for several weeks by various Zenobian stations before finally reentering the atmosphere. To the point that one of them phoned up the NKVDVDROM and turned himself in. The staff at the facility, however, did not know who it was until much, much later.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

barnest2 wrote: Dont give Pezook ideas you fool :P

But yeah, you never know.... The question is, of course, whether his other brothers will turn up...
What do you mean, "give me ideas"? Why do you think I even had Fisher search THE CAPE in the first place? :P

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

PeZook wrote: What do you mean, "give me ideas"? Why do you think I even had Fisher search THE CAPE in the first place? :P
Okay, further ideas...
Also, yay on the launch going well. I wonder what the surgeon saw :P
We need to shift up the pace. You have a plan for us for fall right?

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am composing a status update for fall, but it will take a while. Work > play and all :)

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hmm, makes me wonder if Fisher will go beyond his jurisdiction into Mehico, seeing as how it was a Navy captain going beyond his jurisdiction in the first place that caused this mess. (Well, it was Drago defecting and the Zenobians wanting him back that caused it, but that's semantics.)

Would make Fisher into a nice domestic villain.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

PeZook wrote:I am composing a status update for fall, but it will take a while. Work > play and all :)
Sorry, I meant on the US launches and rate of advance :P