Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The technical fair/conference sounds good.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

OmegaChief wrote:And of course, ensure that the Commissar does not hear of any deals with Murican capitalist pigdogs, or you know what will happen.
The comissar will of course attend the conference, along with those 55 out of 60 Zenobian delegates who will be working for the NKVDVDROM and/or the GRU.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam will be their, poking his head in rocket thrusters...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

PeZook wrote:
OmegaChief wrote:And of course, ensure that the Commissar does not hear of any deals with Murican capitalist pigdogs, or you know what will happen.
The comissar will of course attend the conference, along with those 55 out of 60 Zenobian delegates who will be working for the NKVDVDROM and/or the GRU.
Of course! So it will have to be a very secret agreement! Or someone could distract him (And the other 55 agents) somehow!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'm sure a distraction can be arranged....

Perhaps I could bring along a couple of my Murcan Muscley Manly Space Men to show off just how Manly they are to the world.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Ooc: You could send me to him for a check of my background, where he has to write down my name, and the names off all my relatives and people I know, in order to look them up. Should tie him up for hours or days.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

LaCroix wrote:Ooc: You could send me to him for a check of my background, where he has to write down my name, and the names off all my relatives and people I know, in order to look them up. Should tie him up for hours or days.
Good thinking. I'll have to remember that one.

My idea was to arrange some kind of international space agency with little or no actual authority, as a gesture of Zenobian commitment to internationalism and peace. Coincidentally, Drago winds up employed there* somehow.

Ultimately, through this it comes out that one side or the other is working on a minishuttle. The other side goes "Oh! Us too!" Sort of like this scene from The Great Dictator:
[Dictators Adenoid Hynkel and Benzino Napaloni are reviewing Hynkel's tanks]

Napaloni: "Where's the propellers? For going under the water!"
Hynkel: "Under water?"
Napaloni: "You never heard of tanks that go under the water and fly up-a stairs?"
Hynkel: "- What's that?"
Napaloni: "Under the water and in the air."
Hynkel: "Obsolete now! We're concentrating on flying dreadnoughts."
Napaloni: "What's that?"
So in short, it all winds up as a sort of elaborate mutual bluff...

*(reasoning being that he's so erratic and unmotivated as a rocket scientist that we might as well not bother with him. If we're not going to murderize him outright, which Syrgy does not want to do because he dislikes murderizing people** and prefers to do rocket science, coming up with some kind of liaison post (or basically just throwing him to the Murcans and forgetting about him) wouldn't do much harm).

**Syrgy is actually kind of a hippie, in a certain buzz-cut, pocket-protector and slide-rule, engineer's sort of way.
Akhlut wrote:Ivanovich respectfully disagrees: one cannot trust capitalists! We need the highest ground of them all: the moon! So we can launch rockets at the most evil capitalists of them all: Thanasians!
Surely, you mean West Thanasians, as opposed to our East Thanasian subjects minions comrades, da?

My own belief is that endless war and strife favor the aggrandizement of capitalism, and also of Murcanesque degeneracy, by getting vast camps of all-male organizations together to boast about their muscles and weaponry. Whereas a world free of belligerent batrachian buttheadedness and full of calm, peaceful pacifisticuffism would favor the cause of international commienism and non-degenerate Zenobian-style brotherhood.

This is perhaps idealistic. And the demilitarizification of space is merely my personal preference, Comrade Ivanovich; it is not state policy.

In any case, we can discuss Party doctrine later. Be assured that if we must build moon fortresses to protect the Zenobian Onion, the capacity to do so will exist.
LaCroix wrote:Grzegorz snaped off another salute, turned and left. Only after being out of sight, he allowed himself to sulk. How he hated it when he got mocked for his name. He would have preferred a more flamboyant family name, like Popov or Ivanovich, insted of his all too common name. At home, every second male within two towns shared it, like cousin Pjotr, cousin Vladimir, cousin Karoly,...
Comrade, I am not mocking you; I am merely noting that it would be quite a challenge to fit your name on a ten-centimeter tag in large block letters.

I cannot defy the laws of physics. Or typesetting.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

IVAN IVANOVICH IVANOV has a plan: he will take his young son with him to the conference, and have him get the agents to regale him with stories (all second-hand, of course) of the glorious and patriotic work that the NKVDVDROM and GRU do to protect the Motherland!
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I like the sound of a '70's ISA :D I would be a big supporter of this. We could share secrets, vodka, and revere manliness (these being the two things our countries are known for respectively)
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sam, my friend, clearly you have not come across a Murcan/Zenobian scientific conference before. Drinking vodka and revering manliness are not just expected but mandatory.
Spoiler
And on that note I'm off to the pub for a last drink before moving home. Don't expect any more p[osts from me until tomorrow (saturday) evening. PeZook, as far as in-universe goes, von Braun is on vacation, with Sam Francisco acting-Director until my return.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Sam, my friend, clearly you have not come across a Murcan/Zenobian scientific conference before. Drinking vodka and revering manliness are not just expected but mandatory.
Apparently not, but it should be hilarious...

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, at first the thing would be sort of a paper body. Very little if any real technical collaboration, but consideration of proposals such as joint missions (something like Apollo-Soyuz, though I don't think you can duplicate that in BARIS), working out some kind of treaty relationship over space rights, possibly investigating long-ranging ideas for international scientific collaboration... also offering a forum for nations not directly involved in the space race to express something.

The idea, in terms of how it's pitched to the Kremlin and Shroomanski, is that:

By extending such a proposal at a time when the Zenobian space program is at a height of its prestige relative to the Murcans, they emphasize their successes and appear magnaminous towards the Murcans. This increases Zenobian prestige, while emphasizing the (historically very strong) theme in their portrayal of the program that these are not merely Zenobian triumphs, but triumphs for all mankind.

"We come in peace, for all mankind" was a sentiment shared by both sides in the space race, at least the civilian side.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

While you cant simulate it, it is certainly a very cool idea. I would be up for proposing it to the pres, or at least helping with the proposal.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
What y'all forget to realize is that Drago is already back in the hands of the Murcans, so the Zenobians assigning him a job would be like assigning the Premier a job. It would just be silly, but then again, maybe the Zenobian bureaucracy doesn't realize that.
It had been a long week for Drago, from escaping the base, to convoys, to being hit by shoes, to prison ships, to riding in a Merican submarine, to being detained by the CIA, and then being sent back to the Cape. It was all worth it though, if not for the anger the Zenobian government was showing in the news, but also that he could see Fax again.

When he arrived, it was nearly nightfall. Drago left the bus and saw that Fax was waiting for him. They embraced.

It was heartwarming for even the manliest Murcan in the area. They both rushed to Fax's cot, and noises were heard throughout the night.

In the morning, Fax left to go to his training, while Drago slept through it all. Fax was glad Drago was back, he had looked tired and worn out after the long journey, but the rest was restoring him. And now that Fax had what he wanted, he was going to ensure that Von Braun got what he wanted. He filled out some papers and delivered them to Von Braun's office, but the room was empty, on the desk was a note saying

Fax respected that the Thanasian was now getting into true Murican habits, and left the report on his desk. He left the room and went back to his training.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

@simon I'm so looking forward to that intetview, I already have something im mind...

And I know you aren't mocking him, but to him, his name and all polish names are bland and ordinary, while the zenobian ones are strange and complicated... :D So when zenobians stare at him for his name, he thinks they are mocking him for having such an ordinary name...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Dude, even a Pole would gawk in horror at that form.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote:Spoiler
What y'all forget to realize is that Drago is already back in the hands of the Murcans, so the Zenobians assigning him a job would be like assigning the Premier a job. It would just be silly, but then again, maybe the Zenobian bureaucracy doesn't realize that.
We captured him once, we can capture him again.

Then again, you could assign him a job.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Do not fret ; The premier is on the case.

You'd be surprised how little one man is worth when threats of nuclear weapons are involved.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam steps into Fax's room(?) before leaping back at the sight of a naked commie.
"You!" He calls from outside "commie! Get dressed and get out here. Now you're back, I'm putting you to work. You're going to help me redesign the mercury so the heat shield doesn't fall off again"
Spoiler
I gave him a job!

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Drago nodded and after he was dressed, followed the man to his lab.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:Do not fret ; The premier is on the case.

You'd be surprised how little one man is worth when threats of nuclear weapons are involved.
I would? You mean the answer is...

:shock:

..."More than zero?"

Bozhemoi.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:Drago nodded and after he was dressed, followed the man to his lab.
"Your name is Drago, yes? We've had a problem with the shielding on the entry hatch and its seal cracking during tests and on re-entry. That and the rocket feeds to the retro's in the nose cone have been splitting when they get too cold. Any Idea's in that foreign brain of yours?" Sam says, scanning the plans he was so used too...

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Drago muttered off several words in Russian, then began scavenging the room for drawing materials. Once he found both a sheet of paper and something to write with, he started making basic outlines of possible improvements and even new designs for the Retro rockets. Including something called a Mini-shuttle.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:Drago muttered off several words in Russian, then began scavenging the room for drawing materials. Once he found both a sheet of paper and something to write with, he started making basic outlines of possible improvements and even new designs for the Retro rockets. Including something called a Mini-shuttle.
Sam watches the man draw, his eyes widening
"A reusable re-entry vehicle! of course! And it glides down, so you don't have to worry about hatch seals on re-entry! You magnificent man, you might just have saved us a very large quantity of money."
He immediately begins scrawling plans using Drago's as a reference. He thinks about calling the director, then remembers that he is charge.
"I think we might just have found the solution to our problem... I see why they went to all that trouble to get you back... Are you getting paid? Well, either way you're getting a raise"

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz was a happy man. He hat met his idol, and various other people he knew from the Only Pravda, even if only in passing. He had even exchanged some words with them.

And they needed him! They really wanted him to do something for them. Everybody was working towards some international conference, so every hand was needed. For now, his duty was to dust the various signs prohibiting entry for any unauthorized personal - cluttering the area outside of the fences for miles and miles - daily, and keep them free from shrubbery. This was as much as he was authorized to do, but he finally WAS working for the Zenobian space program! Technically, as he would be shot if he set a foot inside the fences, but it was enough. For now...

They have told him that once his background were checked by the Comrade Comissar, they will give him a bigger job, inside the fence. For now, they gave him a small trailer an hour's walk away from the gates to live in, so that he was at hand to do his work.

He was fine with that, as the trailer was bigger than the hut he had grown up in, and also, it spared him the hassle to deal with navigating their cities. All of their street names lacked the essential letters to figure out how to pronounce them correctly. Seriously, they even wrote the name of their spaceport without any 'y', 'c' or 'z'!