Steam doesn't launch

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

NoXion
Padawan Learner

Steam doesn't launch

Post by NoXion »

Sorry to bother you again so soon with yet another technical problem, but having fairly recently bought The Orange Box it's kind of frustrating to not be able to play any of the games before I've got tired of them.

Basically the problem seems to be that Steam doesn't start. At all. When I double click on the Steam desktop icon, a small "Updating Steam..." window with a progress bar appears for like a quarter of a second (if that) before disappearing, then that little spinny circle icon appears next to my mouse cursor, then nothing. Steam doesn't show up in the "Processes" tab in the Task Manager, although something called "steamerrorreporter.exe" or something along those lines appears then disappears very quickly. Uninstalling AVG and renaming the .blob file doesn't change anything.

I'm running Windows 7, if that helps.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: Steam doesn't launch

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ostcount=7

This post in particular helped someone having the same problem. Hopefully it helps you.

Failing that, full unistall reinstall.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Re: Steam doesn't launch

Post by NoXion »

Thank you very much, that appears to have fixed the problem.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project