Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients
40€'s may sound expensive for an expansion, but this box is filled to the brim and adds a whole lot of new content to the base game. Since I'm fond of Eclipse, this was a must buy
What does it add beside an extra player and some new tech?
I only skimmed over the english beta rules (I had the buy the french version, english was pre-order only) but at first sight there's:
- 4 new races (3 player mats) + 3 sets of ships to allow play up to 9 players
- 40 extra ship parts from the base game that were sometimes running out
- A more compact supply board so it takes up less space on the table
- Ancient cruisers & dreadnaughts (mean, badass versions of the ancients in the basic games
- Rare technologies (first come, first serve) like interceptors, better armor, cloaking,... but also point defence/flux shield to counter missiles verdediging tegen missiles, cloaking,...
- Development, alliance & shrine tokens. Didn't read in detail yet, but development are extra things to build (for points at the end or other things). Alliances are non agression pacts to the next level.
- New discovery tiles
- Some more basic hexes
- Special hexes: ancient homeworlds and hives which I assume are a bit like the galactic center: good systems but defended by nasty cruisers/dreads, and hexes with warp sectors, which I assume connect other warp sectors via wormholes, making the universe more open.
Been on my radar for a long time from one of my favorite designers. Just looks like a fun and chaotic game.
I prefer this with the expansions which make the game even harder. The goal is no longer to earn money; the goal is to be the last one alive
I kind of feel bad I missed on a box that had the base game + the big expansion for slightly more money. Then again, this will probably one of those games that'll sit in my cupboard for a long time before I can try it.